Who will win the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Often the favourite with the bookies is not necessarily the correct choice. Judd and Goodes last year were top two with Pendles close behind. Sure enough Dane Swan won it! I'll go with Jobe, but I'm not overly confident!

Sam Mitchell for me.

My Current Brownlow Medal Standings (Round 16)
1. Scott Thompson (ADEL) - 28 votes
2. Jobe Watson (ESS) - 20 votes
=3. Lance Franklin (HAW), Scott Pendlebury (COLL), Matthew Boyd (WBD) - 18 votes
=6. Dane Swan (COLL), Gary Ablett (GCS) - 17 votes
=8. Joel Selwood (GEEL), Brent Stanton (ESS), Sam Mitchell (HAW) - 16 votes
well so I say.
This has spurred me into putting on a $50 bet on Scott Thompson ($5.50)/Lance Franklin($2) double!

Like you, I'm liking Jobe & Thompson but in that order. And Ablett for a place too.

Any of these:
Jobe Watson
Dane Swan
Scott Thompson
Scott Pendlebury (if he can make up for missed games)
Gary Ablett (ditto)
Matt Priddis
Josh Kennedy (very fast start could get enough 1's or 2's to hang on)

Smokeys:
Trent Cotchin
Dayne Beams
Kieren Jack (unlikely but he is storming home right now)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW i think jobe deserves to be favorite, and is my pick.
i think scott thompson will come second.
and if the coaches have a clue, trent cotchin comes third, at this stage.
has to be up there, top five minimum at this stage me thinks.

Should be a dark horse for a high finish, might even give the Copeland a big shake - huge improver, plays in the pivot, inside and outside player, finishes off with goals and plays clean. Should draw votes away from Swanny and Penders this year.

Sidebottom will also draw quite a few votes away from Swan and Pendles, you would think.

Sidebottom will also draw quite a few votes away from Swan and Pendles, you would think.
Especially early in the season, was sensational but he appears to be tapering off last couple of weeks whilst Beamsy is holding form and output. No way a Pies player can win this year we have had a few injuries costing likely front runners out of the game for weeks plus those that replaced them have performed wonderfully well and taken votes.

Just did my own analysis which doesnt give 3-2-1 but instead judges by stats, best players, game reports and most importantly game influence. I determine how many votes each player would get ON AVERAGE per round (given a bunch of different people doing the votes). So for example say Collingwood smash GWS by 150 points. There are 5-6 players in contention for best player so even though Pendlebury might have had 35 touches and kicked 4 he would only get say 2.6 or 2.4 given the off chance that the umpires saw Swan's game as better and give him the 3 and Pendlebury the 2. This obviously doesnt take into account games where the umps totally miss the mark (Like that famous Andrew McLeod one back in the mid 2000s).

After analysing 4 players (Pendlebury, Thompson, Mitchell and Watson) over 16 rounds, I have Thompson and Watson tied on 20.6, Pendlebury on 16.4 and Mitchell on 15.2.

Interestingly Mitchell scored 'points' in almost every game however a number of times ive assumed that he "could pinch a vote" giving him a score of 0.4 or 0.6 etc.

Now I know you say "well this is based on your opinion", but i have also used a number of sources to obtain data and done my best to not be biased towards players I like. I havent taken into account players that poll better than others because all 4 of these players poll very well and hence why they are the favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will win the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back