Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Brisbane losing to Richmond in the first finals game and then winning the next two finals games to meet Richmond again in the GF.. then Brisbane pull off the biggest upset and defeat Richmond in the GF.
would it be an upset for the second place team playing at home to beat the third placed team playing away?

The AFL will at least manufacture it so Brisbane make the grand final. They have too in order to sustain interest in QLD and feed the bullshit narrative, swallowed hook, line and sinker by the VFL media, that the sugar hit of a grand final, will change the game forever in QLD.
Are you a conspiracy theorist as well? This whole narrative crap is all bullshit. The best teams find a way to win, always have, always will.

On paper, Lions should be winning this easily. Basically played the entire season in their home state, the GF will be at their home ground and they finished 2nd. The fact that literally no one thinks they will win the flag is odd.
Couldn't you say that for every Melbourne based side in the history of the VFL/AFL?

God the whinging is getting insufferable.

Geez, everyone (incl me) is saying the Tigers are favourites for the flag, is that not good enough for you?

But given you can't leave it alone....
1. If you're picking your best 22, playing at their best, then Rozee, Ebert, Burton, Marshall and Motlop make the 22 in the team that's top of the ladder. That's 5 isn't it?
2. Graham didn't play in the 2019 premiership. That makes it 6?
3. Travelling on the day is a club choice, we made that choice 3-4 times this year as well.
4. Yes you had a 4-day break, and we had a 5-day one. It was also our 3rd game in 9 days (Thu-Mon-Sat), Richmond's 3rd game in 10 (Wed-Tue-Sat). But that probably doesn't count?
Graham is best 22 and only missed last year’s flag due to being injured in the prelim.
Regarding our game against you earlier in the year, at one point we had Chol, Bolton, Ross and Stack in the middle up against lycett, boak, wines and rockcliff... no wonder we got smashed in the middle but still somehow were ahead at 3/4 time. If you want to hang your hat on that game good luck to you.

How am I whinging you campaigner? I've literally just thought it interesting that lions aren't on more peoples contenders list.

And if you honestly think Brisbanes season is comparable to Victorian sides in other seasons, then you are even more delusional than Vic supporters think of WA fans :tearsofjoy:
Don't worry, it's not just VIC's that think WA fans are insufferable. It's the whole country.

On paper, Lions should be winning this easily. Basically played the entire season in their home state, the GF will be at their home ground and they finished 2nd. The fact that literally no one thinks they will win the flag is odd.
Brisbane's season right now depends entirely on whether they win their first final or not. If the win they will play at the GABBA for the entirety of the finals series and will be a big chance of winning it all. If they lose their first final, they will have to negate a tricky SF with the pressure of last years straight sets exit sitting very heavy on their shoulders, if they get past that they'll play a prelim final outside of QLD where they haven't left in months, either against Port or Geelong (who will certainly request their home PF be played in Adelaide as to not give the lions HGA) and will likely have their season ended there.

The problem for Brisbane? They're playing Richmond, who haven't lost to Brisbane in over a decade, and have a brilliant record at the GABBA. The hesitance of them both making the grand final let alone winning the whole thing is completely justified imo.

loving the finals nostalgia.

Port vs Geelong - repeat of the 2004 week 1 match up in identical ladder positions ( lions finished 2nd that year too ) and of course a rematch of the 2007 GF.

Lions vs Tigers - Last year's QF replayed, in identical ladder positions

WCE vs Collingwood - rich finals history dating all the way back to 1990. The famous drawn game where Sumich missed after the siren. Met in qualifiers in Perth also in 94 and 2018 ( classic games ) and at the G in 2011. Semis in 2007 and 2012 which were rippers and of course the great grand final of 2018.

Saints vs Bulldogs - 2009 Prelim - An absolute belter. Riewoldt's famous soccered goal clinching it for the Saints who must be said were very lucky as the Doggies squandered several opportunities.

Tellingly, not a denial either way.

I say good luck to Brisbane. But don't pretend you haven't had a unique advantage.

Which unique advantage? The ratio of hometown games to non hometown games is worse than a Melbourne club any other year. How is this year unique in that regard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham is best 22 and only missed last year’s flag due to being injured in the prelim.
Regarding our game against you earlier in the year, at one point we had Chol, Bolton, Ross and Stack in the middle up against lycett, boak, wines and rockcliff... no wonder we got smashed in the middle but still somehow were ahead at 3/4 time. If you want to hang your hat on that game good luck to you.
Not to mention the game against Port was HUGE for them they were out to prove a point and fair play to them. Meanwhile we rested Cotchin and I think were not too shattered with the result.

Port are very impressive but I agree I wouldn't be looking too far into that game.

Which unique advantage? The ratio of hometown games to non hometown games is worse than a Melbourne club any other year. How is this year unique in that regard?
You've been uniquely advantaged against the competition in the context of this season.

How many games have you played outside your home state? How much time have you spent in a hub?

Every other team has spent weeks on the road and weeks in a hub. How many weeks have the Lions spent?

Last edited:
Umpiring bias is such a ******* laugh.
Richmond are always in the negative and I get it why it’s the way we play, we give a lot of frees away. End of story.
Exactly.

There are free kicks in every game that should be awarded but aren't, and dodgy ones paid. Usually the bad decisions roughly even out over time.
There are even games (2016 GF anyone) that just make no sense. But these are rare.

What doesn't even out is the differential caused by playing style.
Think back to Freo under Ross Lyon. Every year they were near the bottom of the free differential table. Elements of the supporter base raved on about the AFL conspiracy etc. Nothing to do with it. Everything to do with RoLyball, the ultra defensive style adopted by the coach. Now he's gone and they are playing a more expansive style they are near the top of the free differential table. And correctly so too.

You are right about Richmond. No team is harder at the ball and the player than Richmond. The price you pay is giving away more frees than anyone else. The reward, winning games. I'd take that any day.

port are a legitimate shot, but i think people are put off by their recent late season records (at round 17 in past years theyd be in the middle of their spiral to miss the 8 after being top 4 for the first 15 or so weeks), their 50/50 record against other top 8 teams this year, and the fact that their position might be a bit inflated due to them actually getting to play home games (the same as how people see brisbane and west coast).

i personally dont trust them because of their capitulations the last 4-5 years after looking like a serious threat, every year is ports year until about this time. Theyre definitely a good shot, but they need to proove that theyve actually changed for me to trust them.

Richmond shat the bed in 14, 15 and 16. They won the flag in 17.

Richmond shat the bed in 14, 15 and 16. They won the flag in 17.
Yeah, and at the start of finals in 17 no-one gave us a shot because of it, and fair enough too. We have now changed that perception through our performance.

Don't pretend like you're being singled out. People don't think Brisbane or Geelong are a chance because they can't beat us, people don't think west coast are a chance because it's not in wa, people only think we are a chance because we have done it before.

A few weeks ago I posted in here that I thought Geelong were the clear leader in the clubhouse and you could throw a blanket over Richmond, Port and Brisbane. I don't think anyone outside of the top 4 are going to give it a shake. West Coast have a 50% record in QLD this year and have generally been bog average away from Perth. St. Kilda might cause a scare if they get past the Dogs but I can't see them pulling off 4 wins in a row. Same goes for the Dogs. Collingwood aren't near the top sides either.

I think Geelong have come back to the pack a bit. Richmond have elevated their game but not to a point whereby I think they're a class above the rest of the top 4 sides. Port are building nicely leading into the finals but are more of an unknown largely due to not having played a final since 2017 - and even then half of those players who played against West Coast in 2017 will not be lining up against Geelong next Thursday night. Brisbane are a bit of a wildcard - I really can't get a good read on them either.

It's the most open finals series we have had in a few years imo.

Yeah, and at the start of finals in 17 no-one gave us a shot because of it, and fair enough too. We have now changed that perception through our performance.

Don't pretend like you're being singled out. People don't think Brisbane or Geelong are a chance because they can't beat us, people don't think west coast are a chance because it's not in wa, people only think we are a chance because we have done it before.
Couldn't have explained it any better.

You know what's going around?

Brisbane supporters trying to argue they haven't had a unique advantage this year.
Sheesh. That's as bad as Vic teams saying they don't get an advantage with the GF being played on the MCG for the next 79 years.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back