Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we finallly in peoples minds for the premiership? Ontop since rnd 1, but continued to be disregarded in most premiership considerations.

No reason we can’t but inretested to know why we’ve been continually discounted all year?

Lost to Brisbane in 1 bad qtr of footy
Lost to the Saints after the best goal kicking accuracy in 150 years
Lost to the Cats in a poor game by us

why are we being ignored?

We would have to be the most underestimated too team in history. Every week the media is about the vic teams in Geelong or Richmond, the hard road WCE have taken with this season or how Brisbane have improved. But why not ever port? What is it that we are being discounted for? Are port not a good media story or the story sells better this year being anyone else?

Let's just review those losses, most were to quality top 4 teams.

You beat a Richmond that was missing 5-6 premiership players, travelled and had a 4 day break.

The losses weren't respectable, they were smashings..

Unfortunately you will be playing a minimum of 2-3 top 4 teams to win the premiership. I can't see Port winning 3 games to top 4 to win.. maybe 1.

Port beats the teams they need to beat (5-18th on the ladder).. but haven't proven they can beat 2 top 4 teams in a row..

If Geelong beat Port, their chances will be very slim.

Are we finallly in peoples minds for the premiership? Ontop since rnd 1, but continued to be disregarded in most premiership considerations.

No reason we can’t but inretested to know why we’ve been continually discounted all year?

We would have to be the most underestimated too team in history. Every week the media is about the vic teams in Geelong or Richmond, the hard road WCE have taken with this season or how Brisbane have improved. But why not ever port? What is it that we are being discounted for? Are port not a good media story or the story sells better this year being anyone else?

Some of our wins haven’t been convincing. We needed some acts of individual brilliance to seal the game against Hawthorn and steal the game from Carlton. If we lost both of those suddenly we’re battling to even be in the Top 4 let alone first.

But to our credit we found a way more often than not and that’s all you have to do.

Personally, I have Port Adelaide as the third seed. How you play against Geelong is going to answer a few questions- do you have that bit 'extra' for finals footy etc. I think the footy public is a bit hesitant after Brisbane bowed out last year in similar circumstances (albeit playing well but not well enough). For mine, I struggle to see Port getting past BOTH Geelong and Richmond but happy to be proved wrong.

In my mind, we're down to four (in order):
Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Brisbane

Some of our wins haven’t been convincing. We needed some acts of individual brilliance to seal the game against Hawthorn and steal the game from Carlton. If we lost both of those suddenly we’re battling to even be in the Top 4 let alone first.

But to our credit we found a way more often than not and that’s all you have to do.

All teams have games like this though. Just seems Ports are rated worse for some reason.

Personally, I have Port Adelaide as the third seed. How you play against Geelong is going to answer a few questions- do you have that bit 'extra' for finals footy etc. I think the footy public is a bit hesitant after Brisbane bowed out last year in similar circumstances (albeit playing well but not well enough). For mine, I struggle to see Port getting past BOTH Geelong and Richmond but happy to be proved wrong.

Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Brisbane

I would think Brisbane are third, as they have the home game advantage..

Richmond will probably beat Brisbane, but I don't see them losing a game after that loss.

I would say Brisbane vs Richmond grand final is looking likely.

Because you need to it for longer period than one half ass season to be part of a discussion. season that was dominated by lock downs and Hubs and packed fixtures. Richmond and Geelong are miles ahead of your mob. I put Eagles ahead of yours too. You are the most inconsistent club over the last 5 years making finals only once and you choked at home against Eagles. one good home and away season does not automatically warrant you anything specially when other big teams know how to time their run.Bare minimum you need to make GF this year or you are a failure. You know how many season in row Cats and Eagles are playing finals?? Eagles holding the record now. you know if it wasn't for Richmond one game slip up in 2018, they'd be 3p going for 4p?? the heck are you on a bout thinking you are in same conversation as the big 3 or even most improved in Lions. Make the GF, then we can talk. Until then just be happy that you are having a good season, avoided big injuries and playing well. You might win it but for sure you are not a favourite.

All teams have games like this though. Just seems Ports are rated worse for some reason.

Some of it is reputation too. As you know we were 11-4 two years ago and missed the finals altogether. The year prior we probably should’ve finished 2nd behind the Crows but pissed away chance after chance, missed Top 4 and then got booted in week one.

We had been pumped up since 2013/14 and never delivered on it. People needed to see us walk the walk, myself included.

Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Brisbane

all good until i saw that order. Not even a chance in hell that Geelong are ahead of Richmond.I love it how you have ignored both Dogs and Eagles. prepare yourself to be surprised.

Because you need to it for longer period than one half ass season to be part of a discussion. season that was dominated by lock downs and Hubs and packed fixtures. Richmond and Geelong are miles ahead of your mob. I put Eagles ahead of yours too. You are the most inconsistent club over the last 5 years making finals only once and you choked at home against Eagles. one good home and away season does not automatically warrant you anything specially when other big teams know how to time their run.Bare minimum you need to make GF this year or you are a failure. You know how many season in row Cats and Eagles are playing finals?? Eagles holding the record now. you know if it wasn't for Richmond one game slip up in 2018, they'd be 3p going for 4p?? the heck are you on a bout thinking you are in same conversation as the big 3 or even most improved in Lions. Make the GF, then we can talk. Until then just be happy that you are having a good season, avoided big injuries and playing well. You might win it but for sure you are not a favourite.
Whilst I understand your post, feel free to write off any team that hasn’t done it recently.

After all, Richmond going 16 seasons without a finals win to a 2017 premiership was just a fluke. As was the Bulldogs going without a finals win in 6 years and finishing out of the finals in 5 of those 6 seasons, to a 2016 premiership also a fluke. And we‘ll never see an Adelaide 97 / 98 premiership with zero recent finals experience ever again. Collingwood running Brisbane to the wire in 2002 was also just completely out of the box and unexpected. Hell, even the Baby Bombers in 93 shouldn’t have happened?

but I’m intrigued, are we good or not? Because your rant indicates that we don’t deserve to be called good, but at the same time if we don’t make the GF we are failures?

Or maybe, just maybe, a team that finishes top deserves a little more respect for their achievemeant than you’re giving it. Being in the discussion doesnt mean that we are unbackable favourites. It means that we’re pretty good to be able to challenge the favourites, and it’s not a Buster Douglas ”shock the world” upset if we do win.

Whilst I understand your post, feel free to write off any team that hasn’t done it recently.

After all, Richmond going 16 seasons without a finals win to a 2017 premiership was just a fluke. As was the Bulldogs going without a finals win in 6 years and finishing out of the finals in 5 of those 6 seasons, to a 2016 premiership also a fluke. And we‘ll never see an Adelaide 97 / 98 premiership with zero recent finals experience ever again. Collingwood running Brisbane to the wire in 2002 was also just completely out of the box and unexpected. Hell, even the Baby Bombers in 93 shouldn’t have happened?

but I’m intrigued, are we good or not? Because your rant indicates that we don’t deserve to be called good, but at the same time if we don’t make the GF we are failures?

Or maybe, just maybe, a team that finishes top deserves a little more respect for their achievemeant than you’re giving it. Being in the discussion doesnt mean that we are unbackable favourites. It means that we’re pretty good to be able to challenge the favourites, and it’s not a Buster Douglas ”shock the world” upset if we do win.
You are very good. However you’ve had an advantage over Vic teams who have had practically no home games all year. When has that ever happened before? Despite that Geelong and my team still made top 4. And yes you beat us on your home deck but we were without our captain, Edwards, Prestia, Astbury who are all more than handy players and you were close to full strength. We also played you off a 4 day break and even had to travel on game day. Despite all that you have shown you are the team to beat, so good luck!

Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Brisbane

Geelong are woeful in finals these days.
You saw how we respond in a must win game on the weekend. It's those same players who starred when we were up and about (no dire consequences if you lose) that were missing.
Stewart, Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett are the only ones who are going to be solid for us. All the rest have a lot to prove.

Really wouldn't surprise me if we find ourselves down by 4-5 goals early in the game and have to try and catch up the rest of the day or night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really wouldn't surprise me if we find ourselves down by 4-5 goals early in the game and have to try and catch up the rest of the day or night.

Haha a few Geelong mates messaged me tonight saying they will be 6 goals down at quartertime. I think Port are being underated a bit here. They are doing a lot right, play attacking and aggressive like they have nothing to lose and that makes them dangerous. Obviously they may crack if put under pressure in a final, but I think they have a better chance than most are giving them.

The loser of our game will surely turnover the dogs or saints so i would expect both Brisbane and Richmond to make the prelim. Possible Geelong West Coast rematch in week 2 again on the cards that would be 50/50.

Haha a few Geelong mates messaged me tonight saying they will be 6 goals down at quartertime. I think Port are being underated a bit here. They are doing a lot right, play attacking and aggressive like they have nothing to lose and that makes them dangerous. Obviously they may crack if put under pressure in a final, but I think they have a better chance than most are giving them.

The loser of our game will surely turnover the dogs or saints so i would expect both Brisbane and Richmond to make the prelim. Possible Geelong West Coast rematch in week 2 again on the cards that would be 50/50.

I'm regarded as one of the more 'negative' supporters around here by my own as I am often very skeptical when it comes to Geelong but having watched them this last month, something's amiss again. For whatever reason, they peak far too early. I guess peaking early has ensured we bank those wins and make finals but all these top four finishes 2012-2020 and no grand final appearance has become a trend.

Chris Scott will bring some players in who have not played for weeks and you just wait and see what happens.

I'm regarded as one of the more 'negative' supporters around here by my own as I am often very skeptical when it comes to Geelong but having watched them this last month, something's amiss again. For whatever reason, they peak far too early. I guess peaking early has ensured we bank those wins and make finals but all these top four finishes 2012-2020 and no grand final appearance has become a trend.

Chris Scott will bring some players in who have not played for weeks and you just wait and see what happens.

Maybe the Essendon game was too easy and played you out of form. But you lost form last year before playing big in the prelim and should have put us away by halftime. It can turn around, but you need to hold on early against Port and work into the game.

Maybe the Essendon game was too easy and played you out of form. But you lost form last year before playing big in the prelim and should have put us away by halftime. It can turn around, but you need to hold on early against Port and work into the game.

The coach has a lot to do with it. The manner in which he roaming around the coaches box suggests he carries that to his players. He does not look like a confident coach at the moment and he will be carrying on as per usual right throughout this finals series.
Conversely, watch Hardwick or Simpson and they remain composed.
We will see what happens soon enough I suppose.

I'm tipping Geelong and Richmond will win first week. Geelong have a tougher assignment though.

I think Richmond's team is better this year than any of the past 3 years. Whether that translates into a flag is another story.

Wouldn’t even care tbh.
The other teams will rate Port the rest of it is just because people are used to the teams, finals experience blah blah.
It’s all irrelevant at the end of of the day in fact I reckon you’re better off than having everyone saying Port are the team to beat for the players sake.
How often does that team win it?

You are very good. However you’ve had an advantage over Vic teams who have had practically no home games all year. When has that ever happened before? Despite that Geelong and my team still made top 4. And yes you beat us on your home deck but we were without our captain, Edwards, Prestia, Astbury who are all more than handy players and you were close to full strength. We also played you off a 4 day break and even had to travel on game day. Despite all that you have shown you are the team to beat, so good luck!
I don't believe we are the team to beat. Don't know where you got that from.
The post I was replying to was a general rant about Port Adelaide don't even deserve to be in the conversation "because they haven't done anything lately".
And I'm trying to respond that we should, by showing a number of examples where teams do "come from nothing" to Grand Finals and premierships.

And now, of course, comes the "woe is me" tale about how special the season is and how what Port Adelaide has achieved this year doesn't matter. (and rewriting history whilst doing it)

Fair enough. You all win.

We were top on the ladder when we'd spent the first 7-8 games on the road, but that doesn't matter.
Port had 5 best 22 players out when we played Richmond, who actually had 6 out not just the 3 you mention. And we absolutely destroyed you in general play, you only had something like 24 inside 50's for the game. But that doesn't matter.
And Port Adelaide has played 3-4 games this year travelling on the day to a team that had been there for a week or two. Even last night, Collingwood hadn't been on a plane for what, 4-5 weeks? But that doesn't matter.
Hopefully we go down in straight sets and everyone is happy that they were right.

I don't believe we are the team to beat. Don't know where you got that from.
The post I was replying to was a general rant about Port Adelaide don't even deserve to be in the conversation "because they haven't done anything lately".
And I'm trying to respond that we should, by showing a number of examples where teams do "come from nothing" to Grand Finals and premierships.

And now, of course, comes the "woe is me" tale about how special the season is and how what Port Adelaide has achieved this year doesn't matter. (and rewriting history whilst doing it)

Fair enough. You all win.

We were top on the ladder when we'd spent the first 7-8 games on the road, but that doesn't matter.
Port had 5 best 22 players out when we played Richmond, who actually had 6 out not just the 3 you mention. And we absolutely destroyed you in general play, you only had something like 24 inside 50's for the game. But that doesn't matter.
And Port Adelaide has played 3-4 games this year travelling on the day to a team that had been there for a week or two. Even last night, Collingwood hadn't been on a plane for what, 4-5 weeks? But that doesn't matter.
Hopefully we go down in straight sets and everyone is happy that they were right.
I look at it more simply. BOG was your captain. You won because you thrashed us at centre clearances and clearances in general. We didn't have our captain, and three other clearance specialists in the team. Your advantage would not have been anything like what it was that night. But of course if my aunt had a ..... she would be my uncle too.
You have finished on top. You have earned the right to be at least equal favourites.

Umpiring favouritism and the AFL sponsored narrative are pretty big determiners. On this basis and from what I've seen Geelong probably have a 3 goal advantage over the mean. It doesn't always win you the games but it helps.
I think you guys have got umpiring favouritism well covered... Except for collingwood that is FB_IMG_1600647687957.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back