Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is absolutely spot on.

He has been playing as a third tall forward, because the kid played what two seasons.

He genuinely didn’t play 3rd kf last year, he played FF.

was our deepest forward. Dixon was our main target and went from inside 50 to lead up (basically wherever he was needed at the time)

Marshall played as a chf / high forward basically well up the ground as a linkman.

Georgiades stayed close to goal.

it’s hard to know what labels apply to what nowadays with team structures being all over the place but yeah, Marshall played outside 50 mostly, Dixon our main target and Georgiades stayed deep.
Mitch’s 32 goals had him 34th in an 18 team league as a teenager.

He’s a genuine kf.
I think this is the best era for young up and coming key forwards in the league in decades.

I said most will end up better than Durrsma... never said Roezee if you actually read my post.
You should have read my original post properly (which was asking a question of the poster it quoted) before you quoted me. It was regarding his assertion that rozee and duursma were only solid squad players.

And saying you only mean duursma doesn’t help your case in regards for your statement regarding those players being better than, nor does it make sense if you’re knocking ports youth to suggest that you’re players will be better than walk it back to they will be better than that one port player you think is overrated..

You should have read my original post properly (which was asking a question of the poster it quoted) before you quoted me.

And saying you only mean duursma doesn’t help your case in regards for your statement regarding those players being better than, nor does it make sense if you’re knocking ports youth to suggest that you’re players will be better than walk it back to they will be better than that one port player you think is overrated..
Suggest you rewrite this in English... though won't change my opinion on Durrsma!

Certainly tightening up between Freo and Port. Port could easily finish top 4 for the next three years and not get it done. Dixon ageing out, Boak surely can’t keep backing up to same level at his age. Wines great but really at his peak now. It’s really down to that super draft, can Rozee, Butters and Duursma bridge the gap between excellent point of difference players to become the best in the competition types.

Freo a few years off but all the pieces are in place now. Just need to bide time.

He genuinely didn’t play 3rd kf last year, he played FF.

was our deepest forward. Dixon was our main target and went from inside 50 to lead up (basically wherever he was needed at the time)

Marshall played as a chf / high forward basically well up the ground as a linkman.

Georgiades stayed close to goal.

it’s hard to know what labels apply to what nowadays with team structures being all over the place but yeah, Marshall played outside 50 mostly, Dixon our main target and Georgiades stayed deep.
Mitch’s 32 goals had him 34th in an 18 team league as a teenager.

He’s a genuine kf.
I think this is the best era for young up and coming key forwards in the league in decades.
You obviously watched him closer than me, but all three seemed to spend parts of the game playing up the ground. As you indicate, Georgiades probably stayed at home more regularly than Dixon and Marshall.

Reckon he's got the best pair of hands on the comp and is a reliable kick for goal. I predict him to become the best key forward in the game.

You obviously watched him closer than me, but all three seemed to spend parts of the game playing up the ground. As you indicate, Georgiades probably stayed at home more regularly than Dixon and Marshall.

Reckon he's got the best pair of hands on the comp and is a reliable kick for goal. I predict him to become the best key forward in the game.

So, Port play Dixon and 2 of Lycett, Marshall, Ladhams as 2nd KPF/Ruckmen, with Georgiades as the 3rd tall

If rozee and duursma are only “solid squad players” what would you call the crows youth not named thilthorpe?

Depending on who you're asking about, that answer ranges from A grader (what I'm dubbing that high production player who could sneak an AA or two in their best years) to spud, because we have the whole lot in our system at the moment. No different to any club with a large pool of youth players

I don't know if we have anyone I'm 100% convinced is on an out and out star like track bar Thilthorpe at this point though. Couple who could get there if the cards fall in the right way, however usually they don't.

Rozee and Duursma at this point are tracking towards solid squad players, after all, they've got fitter, stronger and yet their production has stagnated. Of course, a position change could kick start them, but after seeing too many players I had my hopes pinned on with a change, I'm firmly in the "I need to see it to believe it" camp with those after stagnation.

Last edited:
So, Port play Dixon and 2 of Lycett, Marshall, Ladhams as 2nd KPF/Ruckmen, with Georgiades as the 3rd tall

Exactly this.

To say Georgiades is a KPF because he was sitting deeper than 2 or 3 x 200cm forwards and a resting ruck in front of him is a weird take.

He gets the third defender also.

He’s a third tall forward just like Darling was considered at the start, now Allen plays that for West Coast.

Yeah I don’t know how the answer can be anything other than Port at this point in time.

They’re the best team right now.

Freo are putting together a good batch of young players but they need to keep building and adding players, their current young players and the incoming players need to develop and enter their prime, then they need to gel as a team. They’re years away.

Adelaide are a bottom 4 team who have a very small handful of pieces. When teams seem to average around 3-5 quality top 15 at club type hits at the draft over 3 years of drafts, it’s easy to see that Adelaide could need quite a few drafts to build their team. Then there’s the time it takes them to develop + gel into a seasoned side.

The idea that they’re magically going to be a contender in a handful of years is dubious.

As a study in history most teams that spend multiple years in the bottom 4 have taken decades to win a grand final.

Nobody will hand port a grand final though. Melb and dogs right now are at their peaks and are strong teams who if their coaches and team leaders can keep them motivated could be hard to beat for a while.

The make up of ports team though is unique. We’ve gotten a mini rebuild in and have gotten lots of games into some outstanding young talents.
swans went from wooden spoons in 1992-4 to a grand final in 1996. Dockers went from bottom 4 on 2008-9 to grand final in 2013.
Crows. They regenerate better than most. Never down for long.
Crows historically bounced back quickly in the 1990s and 2000s.

But this is a different era and situation now.

Crows last made finals in 2017, the year they made a grand final.

They have not made finals in 4 seasons. Hell if they dont make finals in 2022, this will be the 5th year in a row they have not made finals

I don't know if we have anyone I'm 100% convinced is on an out and out star like track bar Thilthorpe at this point though.

Out of those kids I’m pretty convinced Schoenberg will get to 150+ games with most of them above average and 2 or 3 excellent seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can seriously see Freo winning a flag sooner rather than later.

Now have the list to do it within 3 years.
Freo to win a flag within 3 years? Are you nuts? That means they have to win the flag by 2024.

Next to slim chance that happens.

I know freos list more than you.

Freo are reliant in a few guys aged 28-31.

More likely for freo to make elim finals in 2022-24 than win a flag by 2024

Crows have the worst young talent for a rebuilding team I have ever seen.

Yeah, nah.

The fact they have arguably the best u/20 key forward in the league probably automatically invalidates that argument.

Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Fogarty, Rachele, Pedlar, McHenry is a decent base to build off for another 2-3 drafts. If they get more improvement from McHenry and Jones, they will look even better.

They have a good group of 24-26 year olds, that are likely to still be relevant after a rebuild also ~ Keays, ROB, Doedee, McAdam etc.

Freo to win a flag within 3 years? Are you nuts? That means they have to win the flag by 2024.

Next to slim chance that happens.

I know freos list more than you.

Freo are reliant in a few guys aged 28-31.

More likely for freo to make elim finals in 2022-24 than win a flag by 2024
I bet you are in the minority of Freo supporters who think we can’t.

Not saying we will certainly win but we are coming into our window.

Can seriously see Freo winning a flag sooner rather than later.

Now have the list to do it within 3 years.
The query would be on if they will they continue to lose players in the next 3 years.
In the last 4 seasons they’ve lost Neale, Hill, Langdon, Cerra, but have at least drafted local kids in 2021.

Crows have the worst young talent for a rebuilding team I have ever seen.
I disagree. There has remarkably been worse.

Carlton of 2002-4 is one, bit they were denied early 1st and 2nd rounders.

Tigers had 5 picks in the top 20 in the 2004 draft and butchered them all.

Brisbane had some ok talent from 2010-13 only for them to leave after Michael Voss being sacked

1. Port.

They've wasted 2 good chances the last couple of years and they may well have missed their window with Boak, Gray, Dixon. But there's still a slim chance they haven't missed that window and 2022 could be their year.

Otherwise they are in a strong position to retool with such a healthy list and some serious talent 22 and under.

Don't want to get in to a semantics argument with Georgiades except to say I think you do need a quality 196cm+ key forward next to him to win a flag, if not to kick goals simply to stop the opposition tall defenders marking everything. But by quality I mean functional and role playing rather than high level skills. Finlayson's not the worst roll of the dice to cover Marshall and Dixon, but eventually Port may be back to the drawing board for a fix there.

Another very good pure midfielder would be handy too. I'm not entirely convinced by this plan to move Amon, Duursma, Butters and/or Rozee on ball. Rotations, sure, but I don't think Wines can do it alone.

2. Freo.

2022 might be rough. I worry a lot about Fyfe's injuries and Mundy's age. Losing Cerra at a crucial time hurts a lot. But Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong and quality draft picks gives them a chance at putting together an elite midfield, which can come together reasonably quickly. They are overflowing with excellent defenders, and starting to add some useful forward talent. Might be a year away from being a year away but things are looking up.

3. Crows

I think things are fine for them too. A lot of good players in the experienced aged group who just haven't had good seasons recently. Milera and Crouch would be handy recruits. I love Thilthorpe. I like Schoenberg as about a 3rd best midfielder in a good side. I like the idea of Rachele as a Serong type, maybe playing more forward than mid though. On the other hand the Jones, McHenry and McAsey picks are very underwhelming. Dawson's a great pick up as a utility and Scholl's an excellent young runner. Overall though they're a few years in to this rebuild without a top line midfielder and that would have me worried.

None of them are winning anything with their current coaches.

Port Adelaide may be a chance next year if they turf Hinkley, we've seen the difference having a competent coach has made to Carlton and I rate Port's list higher than Carlton's. However Hinkley is contracted until the end of next year and I can't see Koch pulling the trigger sooner than that because it'd mean Koch falling on his own sword.

Adelaide are probably the side furthest away from playing finals again let alone contending for a premiership, there's no way Nicks is surviving long enough to see a finals appearance let alone a flag. They're already into their 5th consecutive season without playing finals and it's likely going to take another five years for them to be good enough to play finals again.

Fremantle are ironically much like St Kilda in that Ross Lyon stuffed up the list to the point where the rebuilt list post Ross Lyon is good enough to peak as a mid table side at best without challenging for a premiership, they'll most likely have a season like St Kilda's 2020 where they make finals once without contending before ultimately having to start another rebuild with another coach.

Only one of these teams is a live chance of Clarkson in the chair for 2023. The sooner the Crows act the better as they won't be able to out-bid West Coast for $ or out-concession the expansion teams for AFL favours.

The other two may not have a single member of their next premiership 22 on their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Back