Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheedy was past his use-by date, Knights wasn't a great coach but also had a woefully under resourced football department, Hird had plenty of resources in the football department but blew up the club, Worsfold was a caretaker trying to fix the destruction of Hird's era, and Rutten is trying to build an entirely new club culture after 10 years of nowhereland.
You left out Bomber Thompson

He was a lonely, erratic ice addict

You left out Bomber Thompson

He was a lonely, erratic ice addict
It would have been an interesting ride if Tania had not negotiated a guaranteed return to coach for James if he accepted the 1 year suspension.

vxQYPPt.gif

Club could sell me a DVD of this for $150

Who are the leaders Hodge was talking about? Hird was a leader, we have no one even close.

And if we did, quietly, behind the scenes, and he said no, and chose Carlton instead?
I don't mean last off-season. I mean the off-season that Dunkley requested a trade to us. Hewett was exploring his options despite being contracted for another year. I imagine Sydney would have traded him knowing he was likely going to leave as a FA the following year. Though Hewett wasn't a high profile player, most of us identified him as a perfect player for our midfield. Those are the type of players we need to be able to identify so that a trade is more likely.

Hope Bomber supporters don’t mind me posting on this thread.

I am struggling to see what the fuss is about Essendon’s form. If you start from the objective position and look at what has been missing from the team, and who the replacements have been, and then you look at the results of each game, Essendon’s form isn’t that bad compared to what you would reasonably expect. Only the round 1 loss to the Cats looks really bad, and plenty of reasonable teams throw in round 1 shockers. In two of your losses you had more scoring shots than your opponents, Lions and Pies.

You do look to be in for a torrid time for a few more weeks given the likely absences, but if you can get pressure forwards Snelling, Smith and Tipungwuti back into the team, a second threatening tall forward in Jones, Stringer up and running properly, Langford to shore up the midfield, Stewart to give the defence a bigger bodied mature player, all realistically expected to be back within about a month, it will likely look very different.

Perhaps with a lot of these types fully fit you might see the excellent ball movement of 2021 re-emerge.

If you get a lot of your first choice players back in and it still isn’t working then it may be time to review things, but until then I think your results are not going to be indicative of where the club and list are overall.

I remain bullish on the Bomber’s list going forward. I think Shiel looks your only bad contract, but that should wash through by the time your list is entering its prime in a couple of years time. I found Jake Kelly’s recruitment a little puzzling as he is a bit of a ball movement killer and this was a massive strength for the Bombers last year. But overall you look pretty well stocked and just have to get some important players back, and get back that fantastic ball movement from last year. I would also presume there is scope there in the salary cap to add another established player or two, and you should get some decent draft picks this year.

I have heard criticism of the club’s drafting recently but to me it has been very strong. Giving up the big picks for Shiel was the main error I think. But if you end up with 2 long term footballers out of each draft on average you are doing well. Your last 8 years drafts you have:

2014 Langford Laverde
2015 Parish Redman Tipungwuti and Francis
2016 McGrath Ridley Draper
2017 Guelfi
2018 -
2019 Snelling Jones possibly Bryan
2020 Cox Perkins Reid
2021 Durham Martin probably Hobbs

So you have produced a strong volume of AFL quality players in the drafts. Overall I still think he Bombers are on a good track, and I wouldn’t get too troubled about the current bumpy ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am struggling to see what the fuss is about Essendon’s form. If you start from the objective position and look at what has been missing from the team, and who the replacements have been, and then you look at the results of each game, Essendon’s form isn’t that bad compared to what you would reasonably expect. Only the round 1 loss to the Cats looks really bad, and plenty of reasonable teams throw in round 1 shockers. In two of your losses you had more scoring shots than your opponents, Lions and Pies.

You do look to be in for a torrid time for a few more weeks given the likely absences, but if you can get pressure forwards Snelling, Smith and Tipungwuti back into the team, a second threatening tall forward in Jones, Stringer up and running properly, Langford to shore up the midfield, Stewart to give the defence a bigger bodied mature player, all realistically expected to be back within about a month, it will likely look very different.

Perhaps with a lot of these types fully fit you might see the excellent ball movement of 2021 re-emerge.

If you get a lot of your first choice players back in and it still isn’t working then it may be time to review things, but until then I think your results are not going to be indicative of where the club and list are overall.

I remain bullish on the Bomber’s list going forward. I think Shiel looks your only bad contract, but that should wash through by the time your list is entering its prime in a couple of years time. I found Jake Kelly’s recruitment a little puzzling as he is a bit of a ball movement killer and this was a massive strength for the Bombers last year. But overall you look pretty well stocked and just have to get some important players back, and get back that fantastic ball movement from last year. I would also presume there is scope there in the salary cap to add another established player or two, and you should get some decent draft picks this year.

I have heard criticism of the club’s drafting recently but to me it has been very strong. Giving up the big picks for Shiel was the main error I think. But if you end up with 2 long term footballers out of each draft on average you are doing well. Your last 8 years drafts you have:

2014 Langford Laverde
2017 Guelfi
2018 -
2020 Cox Perkins Reid

So you have produced a strong volume of AFL quality players in the drafts. Overall I still think he Bombers are on a good track, and I wouldn’t get too troubled about the current bumpy ride.
I think most Essendon mob would have expected us about 2-5 by round 7 this year so I’m not sure people are upset with the win loss so to speak or even our 9000 backwards/sideways handballs for that matter. It’s the way we are losing, teams are literally just strolling through our team like it’s a training drill. You can make every excuse in the world for our depth or developing game plan etc. but if you clearly see your boys not giving a toss week after week well…

We are assured post game our team fitness is where it needs to be and that we are “hurting” yet our entire team besides maybe a handful of individuals have been caught disinterested and literally walking/standing as the opposition stroll on by and nothing has changed so far.

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff if we lost by 30 points all year but I want to see my boys show some god damn heart!! That’s why so many are fond of the likes of Durham, he possesses qualities we sorely lack.

Last edited:
I can deal with being called a lot of things. The scum... *... cheats, etc; but being called impatient is a low blow and an incredibly insensitive one. Say what you want about what kind of time a coach needs, blah, blah, but there is no need to throw absolute horseshit as a justification for that. We have been the most patient supporter base in the entire country, and the only one that has stuck by a club through thick or thin or injections. I will never throw us under the bus like that and I expect better from the lot.
I think it's worth recognising a difference between patience with the coach given the list and culture he has inherited, and impatience with the club and its inadequacies that gave him the list and the culture. Neither is Ben Rutten's fault.

Except it isn't analogous.

It would be like going and getting a new partner, then blaming them for not changing for 5 years, even though you've only had them for 18 months.

Wait, does this mean no-one has supported the team for more than 18 months because every time the team 'rebuilds' we start our support anew?
You're going to annoy some diehards with that one.... 😁

2014 Langford Laverde
2017 Guelfi
2018 -
2020 Cox Perkins Reid

A lot of those scores feature junktime goals, though you're right about our inaccuracy in front of goal.

The main issue is with the way we play, and apparently the way coaching messages are being articulated and received. Most people here believe the list was looking up, bar a couple of needs here and there. That list's underperformance is the source of frustration.

W
I believe we should give our coach at least another 3 years but I wouldn’t be upset if they let him go for Clarkson.
One thinks he would have to be interested in the absolute Holy Grail / mount Everest of AFL coaching - ie achieving the impossible and taking our basket-case of a football club to a premiership….

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back