Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to get Ziggy in.
It's pretty unlikely they will be calling for any reviews in the near future IMO. I argued at the time they should have done an external review instead of Brashers version.

Not because Brasher can't conduct a review but for 2 main reasons - firstly they may actually have gathered valuable insight to help us perform, and secondly it largely clears up the lingering doubt about the competency of the clubs operations that is shadowing us now - and was always likely in this rebuild period.

These half or non-processes (coaching appointments, football department appointments etc) cast shadows over the club. They are hangovers from past mistakes (cover-ups really), and are only likely to survive unexposed and probed by some sort of magical rise to success that is 100/1 to eventuate.

It's kinda absurd we are talking about changing coaches. Is this year 2 of a rebuild or not?

This Clarkson talk has Malthouse to Carlton written all over it.

The club needs to come out and be honest with where we are at and actually commit to the rebuild for once in two ****ing decades.

The club needs to come out and be honest with where we are at and actually commit to the rebuild for once in two ******* decades.

Watching about of the media lately going after Essendon is finally putting the blowtorch on this.

We have done one (two possibly") reports but both have been conducted by hand picked or internal reviews, not ideal and allows us to pick and choose what to action. Getting someone externally that'll put the spotlight on certain areas may finally be what's needed.

Watching about of the media lately going after Essendon is finally putting the blowtorch on this.

We have done one (two possibly") reports but both have been conducted by hand picked or internal reviews, not ideal and allows us to pick and choose what to action. Getting someone externally that'll put the spotlight on certain areas may finally be what's needed.

This whole concept about needing external reviews is kinda absurd too. Why are people who can't read a list running a football club?

Feel like it's symptom of modern work places, where you can't be brutally honest and Essendon more than most clubs seems like one big HR run department of unspoken uncomfortable truths.

This whole concept about needing external reviews is kinda absurd too. Why are people who can't read a list running a football club?

Feel like it's symptom of modern work places, where you can't be brutally honest and Essendon more than most clubs seems like one big HR run department of unspoken uncomfortable truths.
I agree about the uncomfortable truths part at Essendon, but AFL is such a rapidly evolving industry that to get a new lense on what we are doing as well as learn about other approaches should be a very valuable process IMO.

Personally hearing first hand about how far behind we were/are in terms of analytics in the last few years was very revealing (and annoying). It's actually possible those in postions of power do not have that same information or points of comparison. This is the sort of info a review should bring.

Problem is it would also expose different departments and decisions and require truth and changes....

Sydney has a great system and core to bring them in to, it's why so many of the recent successful sides seem to bring these kids in from nowhere that look great, then they go elsewhere and do not much.

If you've got a good core of senior players that understand the system and actually do what they need to do, a young kid can come in and play a very tight role knowing exactly what they need to do and get it done.

Our young guys instead are hung out to dry - refer Cox on a wing - expected to play well beyond their remit because the senior blokes aren't doing their bit.
nice point in the Langford thread

this is very understated for us

we've never built a strong successful culture
closest we got was blown apart by the drugs saga and the resulting awkwardness as players came back.
Then Hird -> Bomber -> Hird -> Worsfold -> Truck
Neeld -> Richardson -> Mahoney
Evans -> Little -> Tanner -> Brasher

That's been what Merrett, Langford, Laverde, Parish, Francis, Redman, McGrath, Ridley, Draper, etc have had to deal with and a large part of why we are where we are

we've never had the strong foundation to build a winning culture on
Club has spent a decade tripping over itself and apologising for itself.

nice point in the Langford thread

this is very understated for us

we've never built a strong successful culture
closest we got was blown apart by the drugs saga and the resulting awkwardness as players came back.
Then Hird -> Bomber -> Hird -> Worsfold -> Truck
Neeld -> Richardson -> Mahoney
Evans -> Little -> Tanner -> Brasher

That's been what Merrett, Langford, Laverde, Parish, Francis, Redman, McGrath, Ridley, Draper, etc have had to deal with and a large part of why we are where we are

we've never had the strong foundation to build a winning culture on
Club has spent a decade tripping over itself and apologising for itself.

Forgot

Dodoro-------------------------------->Dodoro

Those drinking the bath water can’t be trusted to review the bath water

Hope Bomber supporters don’t mind me posting on this thread.

I am struggling to see what the fuss is about Essendon’s form. If you start from the objective position and look at what has been missing from the team, and who the replacements have been, and then you look at the results of each game, Essendon’s form isn’t that bad compared to what you would reasonably expect. Only the round 1 loss to the Cats looks really bad, and plenty of reasonable teams throw in round 1 shockers. In two of your losses you had more scoring shots than your opponents, Lions and Pies.

You do look to be in for a torrid time for a few more weeks given the likely absences, but if you can get pressure forwards Snelling, Smith and Tipungwuti back into the team, a second threatening tall forward in Jones, Stringer up and running properly, Langford to shore up the midfield, Stewart to give the defence a bigger bodied mature player, all realistically expected to be back within about a month, it will likely look very different.

Perhaps with a lot of these types fully fit you might see the excellent ball movement of 2021 re-emerge.

If you get a lot of your first choice players back in and it still isn’t working then it may be time to review things, but until then I think your results are not going to be indicative of where the club and list are overall.

I remain bullish on the Bomber’s list going forward. I think Shiel looks your only bad contract, but that should wash through by the time your list is entering its prime in a couple of years time. I found Jake Kelly’s recruitment a little puzzling as he is a bit of a ball movement killer and this was a massive strength for the Bombers last year. But overall you look pretty well stocked and just have to get some important players back, and get back that fantastic ball movement from last year. I would also presume there is scope there in the salary cap to add another established player or two, and you should get some decent draft picks this year.

I have heard criticism of the club’s drafting recently but to me it has been very strong. Giving up the big picks for Shiel was the main error I think. But if you end up with 2 long term footballers out of each draft on average you are doing well. Your last 8 years drafts you have:

2014 Langford Laverde
2015 Parish Redman Tipungwuti and Francis
2016 McGrath Ridley Draper
2017 Guelfi
2018 -
2019 Snelling Jones possibly Bryan
2020 Cox Perkins Reid
2021 Durham Martin probably Hobbs

So you have produced a strong volume of AFL quality players in the drafts. Overall I still think he Bombers are on a good track, and I wouldn’t get too troubled about the current bumpy ride.
The big fuss and the problem is how we're playing rather than only just the results. We had injuries last year too so I don't take that into consideration. The side is completely devoid of confidence and defensive accountability. Senior players are showing concerning signs of not following instructions. Our forward ball movements has completely deteriorated from last year. That's on top of the usual midfield problem.

At this stage, there's not a single area of the ground that we can be confident in. Not a good place to be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's kinda absurd we are talking about changing coaches. Is this year 2 of a rebuild or not?

This Clarkson talk has Malthouse to Carlton written all over it.

The club needs to come out and be honest with where we are at and actually commit to the rebuild for once in two ******* decades.
Clarko gets his teams structured well and it would be hard to do that and work miracles with our team given the turnover merchants we possess - he would tear his hair out. When he came to hawthorn he told the recruiters he wanted a couple of prime big guys and in particular players who could kick. I guess he would command respect and have a big impact on our culture. I do hope Truck makes it though as he has the right idea about blue collar and was handed a poorly balanced list.

The big fuss and the problem is how we're playing rather than only just the results. We had injuries last year too so I don't take that into consideration. The side is completely devoid of confidence and defensive accountability. Senior players are showing concerning signs of not following instructions. Our forward ball movements has completely deteriorated from last year. That's on top of the usual midfield problem.

At this stage, there's not a single area of the ground that we can be confident in. Not a good place to be in.

It is very noticeable Essendon have somehow gone from handballing to players streaming forward on piercing runs to handballing to players who are standing still a lot more this season. So I get what you and others mean about the way you are playing being the source of your frustration.

I would still like to see a team something like this on the paddock before making too many damning judgements:

Back 7:

Ridley Stewart Laverde

Kelly(or Heppell) Redman Hind Cutler

Wing 3:

Cox Durham Martin

Mid 4:

Merrett Parish Langford McGrath

Ruck:

Draper

Forward 7:

Wright Jones Stringer

Tipungwuti Smith Snelling Perkins

This leaves Heppell Shiel Guelfi Caldwell spare. So I am not sure I have your best 22, but I have 3 piercing runners in the backline, whereas this season you seem to often have just one or two. And I have 3 high pressure small forwards where again this season you might be lucky to have had one in most games - due to players not being fully fit in terms of injury.

Say we include Heppell for Kelly who wasn’t at the club last season in my side above. Let’s also swap Guelfi for Martin who wasn’t there last year and say Ham played mainly in Durham’s place before Durham was available.

That side missed a combined 76 matches last year at 3.3 players missing per match. I think this is around or slightly higher than AFL average. This year the team I named has missed around 4.3 players per match, this is well above AFL average and equates to around 95 games lost in a 22 game season.

I think there are 3 main areas you are being hurt by unavailability this season compared to last.

Last year Jones/Wright/Stringer/Hooker were your 4 main forward aerial targets. They combined for 123 goals in a combined 74 games of a possible 92. So in games where all 4 played you might expect a combined 6.5 goals per game.

This year your 4 main forward aerial targets would be Wright, Waterman, Stringer, Baldwin who have combined for 18 games of a possible 28. They have combined for 32 goals at 6.2 per game which is only slightly lower per game than the main 4 aerial targets last year, but I don’t think they would be creating anywhere near the opportunities for the crumbers. Last year this quartet combined for 35 goal assists at 1.9 per game the quartet played. This year the corresponding figure is 6 goal assists from a combined 18 games at 1.3 per game for the quartet. So I think you have been clearly weaker for forward aerial targets despite Wright’s excellent form.

The second area where your missing personnel is noticeably hurting is forward pressure. Small forward tackles per game 2021:

Snelling 5
Smith 4
Tipungwuti 2.8

2022:

Guelfi 2.4
Smith 2.4
Perkins 1.7

This area has dropped off massively and I would think that is almost entirely down to the best pressure forwards not being fit and available.

So between not having the quality tall targets available and also not having the forward pressure to lock the ball into the forward line, it is probably no wonder the team is more reluctant to go forward rapidly.

The 3rd obvious area where lack of personnel has hurt is the key defensive area. Stewart is not a great player but he is able to compete with quality tall opponents. Him missing more than half your games has clearly created problems with Taberner/Darcy and Mihocek/Cameron and Walker/Himmelberg who have hurt you in the air forward in games missed by Stewart. The games where Stewart played and was not injured, Cameron/Hawkins and Daniher/McStay were not above their season averages.

So anyway, I am reserving judgement until the Bombers get some of these injured players back over the next month.

I think its got to the point where there needs to be a clean out internally

- player recruitment/trading: Dodoro is dead man walking, cant remember any recent trade he has made that has been a clear win, picked multiple injury prone players without proper due diligence. Has created a very unbalanced list profile

- player development: with such a young side this will be crucial. Consider bringing in some veteran bulls (eg someone like josh kennedy from sydney) to show the way as I cannot think of any experienced players on our list that plays hard footy (stringer when he is not injured)

- strength and conditioning: despite being slow and last in contested footy we rack up soft tissue injuries like we are playing a grand final each week. Could the training surface have something to do with it? Really important to get this appointment right

- board: bring in people invested in the clubs success, rather than the business brand, money and image

The list has been cut pretty deep recently from an experience point if view (but fairly if we are serious about escaping mid table finishes) The lack of leadership and willingness to put the body on the line for the team is as bad as I have seen for a long time from this club

I think its got to the point where there needs to be a clean out internally

- player recruitment/trading: Dodoro is dead man walking, cant remember any recent trade he has made that has been a clear win, picked multiple injury prone players without proper due diligence. Has created a very unbalanced list profile

- player development: with such a young side this will be crucial. Consider bringing in some veteran bulls (eg someone like josh kennedy from sydney) to show the way as I cannot think of any experienced players on our list that plays hard footy (stringer when he is not injured)

- strength and conditioning: despite being slow and last in contested footy we rack up soft tissue injuries like we are playing a grand final each week. Could the training surface have something to do with it? Really important to get this appointment right

- board: bring in people invested in the clubs success, rather than the business brand, money and image

The list has been cut pretty deep recently from an experience point if view (but fairly if we are serious about escaping mid table finishes) The lack of leadership and willingness to put the body on the line for the team is as bad as I have seen for a long time from this club

Which trades do you think you have lost out on, say in the last 8 years? Who are the multiple injury prone players taken without due diligence? In what way do you see your list profile as unbalanced?

I’ve got your trades in that period roughly like this:

2021 - nil

2020 - Received Peter Wright in a salary dump for a throwaway pick. Looks a good trade at this point.

2019 - Received pick 10 for Saad and pick 48. Looks a very reasonable result, essentially got you Z Reid in return for a 26yo Saad.
- Received 29 and 50 for Fantasia, handed over 25yo injury problems to Port for a fair return.
- Received Caldwell and pick 44 for picks 29 and 32. Essentially Caldwell for the value of a pick in the low 20’s. That looks fine.

2018 - Received Phillips for a throwaway pick and Cutler for something around pick 48 value. No problem at all there, probably did ok.
- Received Shiel and about pick 37 for picks 11 & 14. Looks the one and only poor trade to me.

- Received a throwaway pick for Colyer. Fremantle are doing ok out of that one but it wasn’t a major trade.
- Received Dev Smith and pick 25 for picks 11 & approx 48. Looks fine.
- Received Adam Saad for pick 35. Very good trade.
- Received Stringer for picks 25 & 30. Good trade.

2016 - Received pick 31 for Hibberd. That is fine.
- Receive James Stewart for a throwaway pick. Good minor trade.

2015 - Receive pick 30 for Melksham. Decent result.
- Receive picks 6 and 29 and Bird for Carlisle and picks 28 & 51. Probably a good result overall.

2014 - Received picks 17 and Adam Cooney for Ryder. Just a fair trade when the Bomber’s hand was forced.

Which trades do you think you have lost out on, say in the last 8 years? Who are the multiple injury prone players taken without due diligence? In what way do you see your list profile as unbalanced?

2021 - nil

2020 - Received Peter Wright in a salary dump for a throwaway pick. Looks a good trade at this point.

2019 - Received pick 10 for Saad and pick 48. Looks a very reasonable result, essentially got you Z Reid in return for a 26yo Saad.
- Received 29 and 50 for Fantasia, handed over 25yo injury problems to Port for a fair return.
- Received Caldwell and pick 44 for picks 29 and 32. Essentially Caldwell for the value of a pick in the low 20’s. That looks fine.

2018 - Received Phillips for a throwaway pick and Cutler for something around pick 48 value. No problem at all there, probably did ok.
- Received Shiel and about pick 37 for picks 11 & 14. Looks the one and only poor trade to me.

- Received a throwaway pick for Colyer. Fremantle are doing ok out of that one but it wasn’t a major trade.

- Receive picks 6 and 29 and Bird for Carlisle and picks 28 & 51. Probably a good result overall.

2014 - Received picks 17 and Adam Cooney for Ryder. Just a fair trade when the Bomber’s hand was forced.
Colyer was a salary dump in 2018 and Caldwell/Fantasia were 2020 trades. We essentially traded Caldwell for Fantasia and a second with a small downgrade in the third.

Our list profile is unbalanced in the fact that we probably have too many small/medium forwards on our list (nearly take up 1/4 of the list), our inside midfield lacks variety in size and depth, with only 6 real "inside" mids and all 6 being between 178 cm and 183 cm and between 78 and 84 kg, our outside midfield looks pretty good with Langford, Martin and Durham though. Defence probably could use a little more speed but otherwise looks okay.

2021 - nil

Only going to focus on high draft / value picks, low picks are a bit of a lottery
- Hobbs - too early to call but would have gone for a bigger inside mid
  • Caldwell - missed majority of 2021 with hamstring injuries, question mark on durability
  • Cox / Perkins / Reid - first round picks, too early to call
  • Jones - struggling to get on the park 2021 and 2022
  • Bryan - have high hopes for
  • Shiel - two first round picks for a downhill skier who cant defend, team looked much better when he was injured most of 2021
  • Mosquito - second round pick, homesick, unable to maintain AFL fitness
  • Smith - knee was already cooked when we traded for him, got one good year out of him
  • Stringer - his best is elite but poor fitness standards and injured half the time
  • Saad - mercenary who goes to the highest bidder
  • McGrath - pick 1 for a skinny HBF who lost his zip when he needed to bulk up to play AFL
  • Ridley - good player
  • Begley, Mutch - second rounders already delisted
  • Parish - pick 5 good player
  • Francis - pick 6 with fitness, mental health issues, unable to play on an opponent. Looking like trade bait
  • Morgan - delisted
  • Redman - decent player

When I say big wins none of these are the caliber of a Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance, Martin type that Richmond got through the draft and built around for their premierships. Dodo has had multiple cracks at high picks
Injury prone players are Francis, Smith, Stringer, Jones and Caldwell. Jones I dont think had pre-existing injury problems before trading but the others did
Even Cooney you mentioned in 2014 we wasted a second rounder on when everyone knew his knee was done

The list is currently unbalanced because we have a one paced short midfield, have not been able to develop quality key position players since Hurley and Hooker and now have a ton of young talls that are not yet ready, and are lacking depth in pressure forwards

Dodo is ass but people need to stop bringing up the 2 picks for Shiel, GWS picked Caldwell with one of those and we got him in later, so we only actually gave 1 pick for Shiel in hindsight.

Also, he was an AA player when we picked him, so a little retrospection is needed here. And he has every chance to make amends and adjust the defensive aspect of his game, which to be honest is a lesson the entire team is failing to get a grasp on.

Last edited:
Only going to focus on high draft / value picks, low picks are a bit of a lottery
- Hobbs - too early to call but would have gone for a bigger inside mid
  • Caldwell - missed majority of 2021 with hamstring injuries, question mark on durability
  • Cox / Perkins / Reid - first round picks, too early to call
  • Jones - struggling to get on the park 2021 and 2022
  • Bryan - have high hopes for
  • Shiel - two first round picks for a downhill skier who cant defend, team looked much better when he was injured most of 2021
  • Mosquito - second round pick, homesick, unable to maintain AFL fitness
  • Smith - knee was already cooked when we traded for him, got one good year out of him
  • Stringer - his best is elite but poor fitness standards and injured half the time
  • Saad - mercenary who goes to the highest bidder
  • McGrath - pick 1 for a skinny HBF who lost his zip when he needed to bulk up to play AFL
  • Ridley - good player
  • Begley, Mutch - second rounders already delisted
  • Parish - pick 5 good player
  • Francis - pick 6 with fitness, mental health issues, unable to play on an opponent. Looking like trade bait
  • Morgan - delisted
  • Redman - decent player

When I say big wins none of these are the caliber of a Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance, Martin type that Richmond got through the draft and built around for their premierships. Dodo has had multiple cracks at high picks
Injury prone players are Francis, Smith, Stringer, Jones and Caldwell. Jones I dont think had pre-existing injury problems before trading but the others did
Even Cooney you mentioned in 2014 we wasted a second rounder on when everyone knew his knee was done

The list is currently unbalanced because we have a one paced short midfield, have not been able to develop quality key position players since Hurley and Hooker and now have a ton of young talls that are not yet ready, and are lacking depth in pressure forwards

Your post is much better formatted than mine. 😁

You might be being a bit harsh though I think. I was commenting more on the trading than the draft picks in the post you responded to. But overall I think your drafting looks sound. All clubs have hits and misses even with really high picks. It is not like you had a run of wipeout drafts.

Hobbs I guess you need to say which bigger bodied mid you would have gone for in preference to him. But he was generally seen as a very sound pick at 13.

Caldwell is too early to know but it was a fair enough trade imo. He is only 4th year this year and has played all 7 matches, and statistically his season is looking very solid for a 4th year player you acquired for around the value of pick 22. I would be pretty surprised if you couldn’t get a higher pick than that for him now.

Cox Perkins Reid clubs would fall over themselves to get any of those players, they show every sign of being high quality AFL footballers, though I concede they have it all to prove yet.

Jones obviously having injury difficulties for now but is just a baby as a 3rd year kpf and has shown loads already. Bryan looks another good prospect as you say.

Shiel I never liked that trade then and I don’t like it now. He is a terrible kick and for that alone the Bombers giving up draft points value of pick 4 for him was a bad error let alone the other issues you mention. So I am with you on him.

Mosquito did a knee and it stuffed him when he looked promising. Nobody could be expected to foresee how that unfolded. He was well worth pick 37 on what he was showing before his knee went.

Smith I think you are harsh. You just gave up the equivalent value of around pick 21 for him. That may be a little high to pay for a guy who probably ends up playing 100 odd games for you as a very good pressure forward, (averages about 5.4 tackles per game for you which is very high.)

Stringer was a punt Essendon could afford to take. You’ve paid roughly the draft points equivalent to pick 10 for him, but in a trade that year Brisbane only got pick 15 & 52 for 20 & 25. So the picks you gave for Stringer 25 & 30 might only have been worth around pick 19 or so on the market that season. Stringer may or may not work out better value than what was given up for him but he has attributes so rare you are compelled to take that chance I think, at that price.

Saad you have given a negative comment but you gave up pick 35 for him and got pick 10(Z Reid) in return for him and pick 48. That is great trading in anyone’s language, and moreso because you got 2 good seasons out of him into the bargain.

Parish is a very high quality player well worth pick 5. McGrath probably not shooting the lights out for a pick 1 but you’d get a first rounder for him now if you traded him out so it is not like he is a wipeout. Ridley and Redman are really good picks.

I think to have a decent team you need to be bringing in on average 2 good footballers per year, and about 5-6 elite level players over a 10 year period. In the last 8 years you already have Caldwell, Cox, Draper, Durham, Guelfi, Jones, Langford, Laverde, Tipungwuti, McGrath, Parish, Perkins, Redman, Reid, Ridley, Snelling, and Wright who look well on track to have long careers with you. That is 17 players, leaving out Smith, Hind, Cutler who have contributed usefully and plenty like Hobbs who are too early to judge. Over the last 10 years you have brought in Merrett, Parish, Stringer who are elite players when fit and firing and some others who could well get there.

I think your list is good. You need to get players on the park, allow some of your best youngsters a couple of years to mature, wash your one bad contract Shiel through the system and grab a big free agent over the next couple of years, and I think you will be seriously contending from as early as 2024 but more likely 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back