Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with much of what has been said but they’ve missed Reid and Hobbs from some of their comments, even just to acknowledge they exist and what their shortcomings are — if you’re talking about Jones, Cox and Perkins then these should also be accounted for, especially as first rounders that may address some of their questions about A grade mids and height in defence.

Height in defence, well Stewart and Zerk are on the list even if they’re injured and not great lol plus some of those other weedy kids 🤷‍♀️ Fair enough if you don’t rate them but at least acknowledge that they exist and why you don’t rate them..

I think that’s the point of the article though - Stewart (a forward) and Zerk (pick 66 who best case scenario is depth) shouldn’t be the answer. We’ve had many years to address it and just haven’t - same as the small mids, really.

Two big things -

1) who’s been our best player this year aged 27+? Kelly’s probably the only one that hasn’t been either sh** or injured

2) who has actually improved from last year? Probably Peter Wright. Maybe Durham? It’s a bloody small list, that’s for sure. Everyone else has either been on par with last year or has been worse

Looked like we threw the gameplan out the window and played basic, instinctive football and lo and behold we look good and win.
Wouldnt say the gameplan was thrown out the window. Id say we executed the gameplan correctly for a bit longer. Less mistakes.

Areas we improved

- decision making

- improved tackle technique

- improved shape and smarts around the contest

- hard leading from Wright and Francis all night giving us the bail out target exiting D50.

- looking after the ball and switching angles regularly

- players leading into space

- lowered eyes and found the shorter hit up targets

Looked like we threw the gameplan out the window and played basic, instinctive football and lo and behold we look good and win.
The backed of a couple of things but in general it was 90% the same plan. The biggest change was to eliminate the sideways and backwards handball as much as possible and back themselves going forward.

I’ve worked out why we are a current laughing stock, it is obvious, be absolutely shithouse before they bring in the new Tassie team. Get the picks in before they bend over backwards to welcome them in. Think g.coast, gws.
Definitely worked for the hawkes I guess, it'd be nice tfor efc o be that lucky for a change!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would need to win 10 out of our next 13 to make finals.

Unlikely.

Chalk it up as a lost year, pick the ones we see a 5+ year future with and clean out the rest. That includes Hepp.
Not a lost year. We’re continuing to blood the youngsters (Perkins, Martin, Reid, Hobbs, Durham, Bryan, Tex, Baldwin) and were never going to be close to a flag. Was always going to be a developmental year and I expect next year to be the same. I agree that we need to clean out the list cloggers and bring in some top end young talent via the draft.

Not a lost year. We’re continuing to blood the youngsters (Perkins, Martin, Reid, Hobbs, Durham, Bryan, Tex, Baldwin) and were never going to be close to a flag. Was always going to be a developmental year and I expect next year to be the same. I agree that we need to clean out the list cloggers and bring in some top end young talent via the draft.

By lost year I meant not even showing a semblence of cohesion, trajectory or any substance to look forward to. There's losing and then there's being pathetic.

Thus, forget it all. Just play the ones who'll be here 5 years from now and shed the ones who aren't. Make the tough calls.

That's it.

Another repeat injury, this time cox’s ankle. So that’s now Cox, Jones, Snelling, Stringer, Langford with repeat injuries unless I’m missing someone else.
Circus.

Our team needs a new fighting mindset.

Hearing Heppell in the news recently and Lloyd saying that teams aren't afraid of the dons I think the saga hangover is still prevalent.
During the saga our team has been too kind on itself so we didn't self destruct and kind also to opposing teams that we really did turn a new leaf.

Heppell to me would've been great holding the team together during the saga, shutting out outside noise, playing down the team losing because we were undermanned. But that mindset doesn't have any relevance now.
You can't change that mindset overnight, maybe too late to over a footy career.

Credit where its due, we're elite in this facet.

Our most expensive trade for a shiny quickfix is openly mocked by the very player that is the poster boy for our list problems

Skipper has a party pre-game banner run. 5m later reality crashes down on us. And he's booked on primetime for monday.

Our last successful coach and token board member just shakes his head, symbolism is delicious.

The worst possible messiah option rears its ahead again

The club extends the ceo in between player sign ons, after arguably the worst performance in a decade, in either a tone deaf move or with total disregard for the fans

Within hours there are questions about the appointment and his behaviours.

And it turns out he's pissed off a sporting legend and indigenous leader to the point she's leaving the board of the foundation that is central to the dreamtime game....oh, which is this week.

And its only wednesday.

We should be getting a medal for this

Our most expensive trade for a shiny quickfix is openly mocked by the very player that is the poster boy for our list problems

Skipper has a party pre-game banner run. 5m later reality crashes down on us. And he's booked on primetime for monday.

Our last successful coach and token board member just shakes his head, symbolism is delicious.

The club extends the ceo in between player sign ons, after arguably the worst performance in a decade, in either a tone deaf move or with total disregard for the fans

And it turns out he's pissed off a sporting legend and indigenous leader to the point she's leaving the board of the foundation that is central to the dreamtime game....oh, which is this week.

And its only wednesday.

If you don’t laugh you cry I guess

And its only wednesday.

I feel like it's Karma from laughing at St Kilda for all those years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back