Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got an anger management problem and my therapist said I needed to focus the aggression on something divested from my personal life, while still allowing the discharge of violent explosive energy without taking it out on friends and family, just Collingwood supporters.

Well, its actually the frustration I relish.

Nah, I actually barrack for StKilda.

Seriously though,

Good man Palmy :thumbsu:
Number 6 IIRC, a reliable man through the beginning of the dark era

Yes #6 is correct.. I was actually given one of his old jumpers when I was a little tacker..

He also sported a very solid mo throughout his career.. Sadly these days the mo is no more..

Heard there was quite the uproar when a young reporter mistakenly thinking he was our #1 ticket holder, asked this question of Tiger Woods out of the blue one day.....

Obviously a lot older than the majority here. I grew up in Essendon and went to Essendon Primary School. If any of you remember when games were played at windy hill there was a school behind the goals at the outer end. That was my school.
Anyway as kids we used to sit on our bikes and grab the footy when it went out of the ground ( which was a lot) ended up with about 10 footys at one stage but thats another story. At 3qtr time the gates would be thrown open and us kids could get in for free and see the last qtr. Always ended up at the outer end with the away supporters. Well one particular match the tiges were playing. the supporters were drunk, loud and very entertaining. That day the tiges got up and the song was sung so loud you would have thought it was a home game. I was sold then. The passion combined with the toughest looking supporters convinced me this is more than a footy club. It is Richmond.

1st generation Tiger. All my family support other teams — Port Adelaide, West Coast and Essendon (how successful have those three teams been in the last 20 odd years... :( )

My story isn't "saw them in the Grand Final" but, in fact, saw the TVC of a Save our Skins campaign. Saw the Tiger jumping up at the ball and supported them ever since.

Must admit, it would be nice having some family support the Tigers, but the rivalries are nice too.

Dad barracked for the tigers but the bigger influence was my 6 th grade teacher who was a footy fanatic(even tho he followed hawthorn)He used to analyse the games on Monday and gave a couple of footy tickets as prizes to kids on fridays This was the hafey era and it became a no brainer to get on board the tiger train

Fourth generation Richmond supporter. Didn't really take any notice of footy growing up as a kid (Richmond were shite), then I hit puberty and had a massive crush on Matthew Richardson. Fast forward 20 years and I still go to the footy for a good perv! ;)

At about age 6 (when a Hawthorn supporter) my parents (Melbourne and Swans supporters) used to take me to my uncle and aunties house each and every weekend to be 'baby sat'.

They were Tiger tragics to the point they had gold and black pin striped put on their VW station wagon. I was taken to every game from the Lakeside Oval to Arden St, Windy Hill, Princess Park, VFL park, Glenferrie Oval and so on. I heard things a child of that age should not hear, and saw some fine punch ups both on the 'hill' (think western oval and Cardina Park) and on the ground!
They bought me a tiger head hat that went over my whole head and looked ridiculous with furry ears and the snout protruding from my forehead, and a duffel coat with all manner of patches and badges.
Was taken to 82 grand final and cried all the way home.

I had no choice, and thank god they rescued me from supporting a team (Hawks) that went on to make and win so many finals ;p
Nah, would not have it any other way! Tigers forever. (unless we lose on the weekend and I'll lose my shit big time).

My brother in law is a hardcore Swans supporter, but my sisters two young boys have no choice.... they are Tigers. I buy them Tiger gear, soft toys (instead of teddy bears), tiger footballs, and memberships. They go to auskick and they wear Tiger jumpers. As an uncle it's now my job to brainwash them as I was :)

Standing around in a circle of kids in 1974 in Lower Plenty. Was five. The usual "who do you barrack for" started up. I had no idea, but everyone else was adamant they supported the Tiges, so I hastily jumped on board, and have been constantly disappointed since (apart from 1980, of course);) . My wife, who doesn't have any interest in footy, can't understand for the life of her why I don't change teams. Go Tiges.

Standing around in a circle of kids in 1974 in Lower Plenty. Was five. The usual "who do you barrack for" started up. I had no idea, but everyone else was adamant they supported the Tiges, so I hastily jumped on board, and have been constantly disappointed since (apart from 1980, of course);) . My wife, who doesn't have any interest in footy, can't understand for the life of her why I don't change teams. Go Tiges.
Dont be dissapointed is, you wouldn't have it any other way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a member of the third generation of Richmond supporters in my Family. Yellow and Black is in the blood.
I was apparently given a choice of whom to barrack for when I was quite young but there is no memory of this occasion and despite the years of relatively bleak seasons and false promises, there are no regrets.

My grandfather grew up in South Yarra just off Punt Rd and always stated that he became a Tiger when he was taken to the footy as a four year old.
Out of his 4 children, 3 were born in Richmond Premiership years (67,69 and 74) and all but one of his kids are Richmond supporters (my Mum is a glory hunter/Geelong supporter).

All of my first cousins are also Richmond supporters, however both of my brothers are unfortunate enough to be Carlton supporters...

Awesome thread! Reading all the stories really gives a sense of the people that make this great club.

Circumstances converged to make me Yellow and Black. My favourite uncle barracked for Richmond, I loved the song from the moment I heard it and the local team were also the Tigers.

I need a villain as much as I need a hero, so once I loved Richmond with my body and soul, I set out to find a team to hate with as much passion.

I remember watching the ’82 Grand Final as an eight year old. I was shattered and felt righteous outrage against Carlton for what happened. I was pretty sure they HAD to be cheating to beat my Tigers, and that suspicion has been validated over the years. They do more regularly cheat than any other club…

Round 1 is my Grand Final every year. This year is already a Tiger premiership :)

My family moved to Melbourne from Scotland in late 90s. Wasn't until 2006 when I went to my first AFL match as from a big soccer family who doesn't really follow the sport. Saw that "basketball" game at Docklands.
Went to a couple more but wasn't till I started going with a mate from School in 2008 to almost every game that I felt a passion for the club that I feel with Rangers in Scotland. Now I'm there every week and only missed a couple games in 5 years. My wee bro who's 14 now also comes to every game with and my dad says he follows the Tigers but still trying to drag him to a match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back