Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went past the Metro on Grote St today, and they do $3 pints of Pale before 1800hrs. Whatever sized pint pot that is, Jake Lever isn't going to find those prices in Melbourne.

The salary he's getting, he won't need to.

He's well and truly into single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat territory.

It's quite ironical that Victorians say that Adelaide is "shit" or a "hole". I was in Melbourne last weekend and it's safe to say that the Melb cbd is the dirtiest most discussing capital in Australia.its full of rubbish,homeless bums and drug addicts. To go to a decent restaurant you generally have to walk down some dark alley past numerous garbage bins.

It's just a filthy, dark, ugly and generally unpleasant.

Whether you come to Melb by train or plane (via taxi) you drive for 30min through industrial wasteland.

Very glad to get out of there and back to Adelaide. Even Sydney which has a much greater population is infinitely more pleasant.

This is an embarassing post and I'm not including the multiple spelling errors as part of that either.
Melbourne's a fantastic city with a pretty amazing culture and a ****load to do. As a person who prefers (and lives in) Adelaide, I still see why Melbourne would be a great place to live. There's a reason both Adelaide and Melbourne constantly get high rankings in liveable city lists.

Pity I'm not a fan of Pale after overdosing on it in the 90's, but at those prices I'd drink it. I too like Old man pubs, dying breed.
Check out the beer / food prices at Aces Bistro in the markets. Wowers its good value.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...b/news-story/9b9af7f0aa17ef7fd91353cc94713b73

300g667434.gif
That is satire of the highest order!

They had that same ideology when they won their 3 flags recently. So did hawthorn. All players were told if they wanted to keep the group together and win premierships they would have to turn down bigger offers elsewhere. They did. And they won premierships.

More food for thought.

That was after they won their first flags with their groups, so the pay off was already there. Adelaide is yet to do this so your analogy isnt really valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. If this is the case, his peers should probably stop voting him captain of the year.

Because they finished near the top. When the crows are in front he has his chest pumped out and is in altercations with everyone...the second the crows get behind he goes missing. Great captain.

It is accurate. The Crows have publicly stated that what Lever wanted to be paid to re-sign would have made him, a 3rd year player who isn't even our best defender, the highest paid player at the club.
Yet now he's leaving you want 2 first round draft picks for him. Seems you want your cake and eat it to me.

This is an embarassing post and I'm not including the multiple spelling errors as part of that either.
Melbourne's a fantastic city with a pretty amazing culture and a ****load to do. As a person who prefers (and lives in) Adelaide, I still see why Melbourne would be a great place to live. There's a reason both Adelaide and Melbourne constantly get high rankings in liveable city lists.
Melbourne CBD can be a bit ordinary, in all truth (I write this as a local). The inner 'burbs is where the culture is at.

Because they finished near the top. When the crows are in front he has his chest pumped out and is in altercations with everyone...the second the crows get behind he goes missing. Great captain.

A lot to do with the position he plays. When the midfield is being smashed it’s not easy to make a difference as a forward. Tex was the leading Goals Contributed player in the Afl

Yet now he's leaving you want 2 first round draft picks for him. Seems you want your cake and eat it to me.

It’s actually quite logical. Currently he is probably our second best key defender, and about 4th or 5th best overall, for a team that is in premiership contention, and needing to pay the salaries of a premiership contending list, we simply cannot afford to do this, off the top of my head there are seven or eight crows who would deserve more than him at this stage.

However, barring injury and if he’s able to improve in one on one contests he will probably become the best defender in the league. Match this to the price Melbourne are paying and you are talking about his value being around no. 1 pick territory. Melbourne don’t have access to that so it seems fair to get two first rounders. Realistically for Melbourne that’s a fair deal, they have a slim chance of getting someone of Lever’s quality at those picks. If you’d ask the Crows if they could forfeit their next two first rounders to keep him, they’d do it in a heartbeat.

It's quite ironical that Victorians say that Adelaide is "shit" or a "hole". I was in Melbourne last weekend and it's safe to say that the Melb cbd is the dirtiest most discussing capital in Australia.its full of rubbish,homeless bums and drug addicts. To go to a decent restaurant you generally have to walk down some dark alley past numerous garbage bins.

It's just a filthy, dark, ugly and generally unpleasant.

Whether you come to Melb by train or plane (via taxi) you drive for 30min through industrial wasteland.

Very glad to get out of there and back to Adelaide. Even Sydney which has a much greater population is infinitely more pleasant.

Ironical. Discussing.

It’s actually quite logical. Currently he is probably our second best key defender, and about 4th or 5th best overall, for a team that is in premiership contention, and needing to pay the salaries of a premiership contending list, we simply cannot afford to do this, off the top of my head there are seven or eight crows who would deserve more than him at this stage.

However, barring injury and if he’s able to improve in one on one contests he will probably become the best defender in the league. Match this to the price Melbourne are paying and you are talking about his value being around no. 1 pick territory. Melbourne don’t have access to that so it seems fair to get two first rounders. Realistically for Melbourne that’s a fair deal, they have a slim chance of getting someone of Lever’s quality at those picks. If you’d ask the Crows if they could forfeit their next two first rounders to keep him, they’d do it in a heartbeat.
Yet..you didn't want to pay him his true value. You wanted him dirt cheap.

We overpay for mediocre players and have a reasonably flat structure which means we have depth but will find it hard to sign big names or retain young players on the rise . The pecking order is cliquey and it always has been . We sign Hartigan for 3 more years , Luke Brown for 3 more years , we sign Jenkins for 5 years at 27 turning 28 for big money when we have McGovern and Lever coming through . We overpaid for 4 years of below average performance from Mackay , he had some decent games this season , more this year than his last 3 combined . We signed Otten for another year because he is a nice guy . Douglas has been overpaid the last 4 years although this was his best season of those his GF stunk as did Mackay . I would rather have more top end talent and develop our young crew quicker in the AFL system . There was no need for Thompson on the list this year .
We should have seen more of Gallucci and Menzel this year as well as Poholke and Doedee .
Our coaching and selection panel are too rigid and we suffer by not retaining players .
Port Adelaide do not have the same problem so something is amiss at the Crows .

We will find it hard to get back to the top 4 next year ...

Yet..you didn't want to pay him his true value. You wanted him dirt cheap.

We offered less than what Melbourne did for several reasons:
1. We’ve just made a GF, we are in a position to win now, we can’t have salary cap space used up on potential.
2. We have Crouch and Sloane coming out of contract next year, if we give Lever 900k those guys are going to rightfully ask for more and we simply can’t afford that.
3. We have Talia, and to a lesser extent Hartigan meaning our need for a key defender is significantly less than Melbourne, of course he’s going to be worth less money.
4: yes, if 350k was the initial offer that is low, but one, if a player is allowed to seek the highest possible payment, why can the club not seek the lowest, this whole “it’s a business” thing goes two ways, and secondly, if a player expresses his desire to be a 10-15 year player and says he wants to stay and play for your football club, it is not unreasonable to ask him to accept less so we can maintain and bring in talent to push for a flag.

Melbourne have made it clear what they think he’s worth, we’re just asking them to give us what they think he’s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back