Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to undermine Adelaide's pantsing by Richmond in the 2017 grand final, but it is obvious the Demons have a brighter future than any team in South Australia. It is understandable that a champion footballer like Jake Lever would want to give himself the best chance to win a premiership in his career.

Melbourne is a club that treats their players respectfully, is poised for success, and located in a vibrant city with an incredible nightlife, brimming with culture, and home of many many beautiful women.

Who wouldn't want to move to Melbourne for more money and more success?

Adelaide have been fantastic at identifying and developing young talent for a number of years. Look at their list - not one top10 draft pick there, yet they keep finding serious talent late in the draft and nail all their early selections.

This is the issue when drafting Vic Metro boys is that if they are any good, the lure of coming back home and being a public figure is quite appealing. Family and friends is also a draw card.

Some may say that Port Adelaide haven't been losing their players however Port have taken on a different strategy. They have recruited from VIC country where the lure of a return to Melbourne is not as strong. They have also largely traded and brought in talent as opposed to developing young talent internally. Ryder, Dixon etc

The fact that ADL have lost so much yet are still contending for premierships speaks volumes for their list management and recruitment teams.

I do recall a few years ago the sacking of sando and how the crows board blamed the players for the sacking and said it was their call.

When Danger appeared on the footy show he was pretty angry and annoyed at the club for throwing the players under the bus.

To me that showed that there is something very wrong with how the board conducts things and could explain why it’s so hard for them to keep their stars.

This sums it up. There's consistent proof of adelaides board carrying on like the ACB pre Packer. A fish rots at the head, and until adelaide clean up their act with a new board, CEO, list manager et el, great players will continue to treat it like the feeder club it currently is.

This sums it up. There's consistent proof of adelaides board carrying on like the ACB pre Packer. A fish rots at the head, and until adelaide clean up their act with a new board, CEO, list manager et el, great players will continue to treat it like the feeder club it currently is.
What a load of horseshit.

I've watched football since the 1960s, and it was rare to see top line players switch to another club in those days. Loyalty to one's club was paramount. However, this is the 21st century. Sadly (for me), the game is no longer the game I loved as a kid. It is a business now, first and foremost, its only correlation to being a sport is people in the parklands play a similar type of game.

We are seeing AFL going the way as the NRL, the way NBA went 30 years ago. With situations such as Buddy, Lever, etc all stating they want to be at the one club for life, it has made us aware of how quickly this attitude can change. People made it sound as though there was constant bad blood with Lever. Graham Cornes even went so far as to suggest Adelaide should not have chosen Lever in their Grand Final. This, of course, is absolute nonsense. On the day, Lever was still a Crows player and would have loved to have won a premiership. How many chances do you get?

I remember when the siren rang to end the 2013 GF and the Hawks had just defeated Freo. There was no happier man on that ground than Buddy Franklin, even though we found out later that he'd known for 12 months he'd be going to Sydney. It didn't change him wanting to win on that day.

People need to get used to the idea that even though, as members, we remain loyal to our clubs, to players it's the way they make their living. It's life in the 21st century, and the day of the one club career player is drawing to a close.

That is being ignorant though as with the Lever situation, there has been a lot of insinuation that there has been exactly that, bad blood simmering underneath the surface causing a distraction around the side. I mean it's hard to know where fact and bullshit intertwine, but it hasn't been refuted at all that his captain was unhappy with his behaviour over the course of the year and perhaps more fancifully there was talk his father was in the rooms before the grand final essentially moaning about it in front of teammates, their families and officials. Whereas with Buddy there was never even the remotest sense of such awkwardness.

I think it's also disingenous to say Lever's intentions have been solely about the money from the outset. Have no doubt that like basically every player initiated move, that compensation is a big factor but it seems the crux of it is that he's always wanted to return to Melbourne. Could've easily initiated a bidding war by not nominating Melbourne immediately. In the last couple of years he's watched as others in the industry of a similar age and also of high talent get to have their cake and eat it too which I would think also impacted on his decision. It's not particularly "fair" on the Crows who have helped him develop into the player he is and they do not get the return on investment for that, however they have a clear need to bring their player retention strategies up to scratch by identifying and addressing the controllable influential factors that have caused the constant outstream of talent. Can't throw your hands up and blaming individual players and the market when there is much competitive advantage to be gained or lost.

That is being ignorant though as with the Lever situation, there has been a lot of insinuation that there has been exactly that, bad blood simmering underneath the surface causing a distraction around the side. I mean it's hard to know where fact and bullshit intertwine, but it hasn't been refuted at all that his captain was unhappy with his behaviour over the course of the year and perhaps more fancifully there was talk his father was in the rooms before the grand final essentially moaning about it in front of teammates, their families and officials. Whereas with Buddy there was never even the remotest sense of such awkwardness.

I think it's also disingenous to say Lever's intentions have been solely about the money from the outset. Have no doubt that like basically every player initiated move, that compensation is a big factor but it seems the crux of it is that he's always wanted to return to Melbourne. Could've easily initiated a bidding war by not nominating Melbourne immediately. In the last couple of years he's watched as others in the industry of a similar age and also of high talent get to have their cake and eat it too which I would think also impacted on his decision. It's not particularly "fair" on the Crows who have helped him develop into the player he is and they do not get the return on investment for that, however they have a clear need to bring their player retention strategies up to scratch by identifying and addressing the controllable influential factors that have caused the constant outstream of talent. Can't throw your hands up and blaming individual players and the market when there is much competitive advantage to be gained or lost.
This is pretty fair and I think the club has copped it sweet until now. So there has obviously been things that have happened behind the scenes that haven’t occurred in previous instances when a player has wanted to leave.

toys-out-of-co-300x298.jpg

Not to undermine Adelaide's pantsing by Richmond in the 2017 grand final, but it is obvious the Demons have a brighter future than any team in South Australia. It is understandable that a champion footballer like Jake Lever would want to give himself the best chance to win a premiership in his career.

Melbourne is a club that treats their players respectfully, is poised for success, and located in a vibrant city with an incredible nightlife, brimming with culture, and home of many many beautiful women.

Please explain your incredible nightlife. Do you mean clubs or bars? Over a few months ago I was in the heart of the city on a Saturday night and your bars were closing at 12. Could not find a good wine bar in the city centre at all. Pubs and drinking spots were ok. Come and try some Adelaide bars these days

Please explain your incredible nightlife. Do you mean clubs or bars? Over a few months ago I was in the heart of the city on a Saturday night and your bars were closing at 12. Could not find a good wine bar in the city centre at all. Pubs and drinking spots were ok. Come and try some Adelaide bars these days

The heart of the city is not the place to go out drinking in Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pretty fair and I think the club has copped it sweet until now. So there has obviously been things that have happened behind the scenes that haven’t occurred in previous instances when a player has wanted to leave.

Yeah whilst each case has its individual circumstances, would expect the club to be thoroughly investigating the trend to identify any common themes to minimise the chances of issue happening in the future and addressing accordingly (changes to draft strategy, living arrangements, family onboarding, additional expectations on playing group leadership to go above and beyond away from the club, stamping out cliques, timing of contract reviews/offers, pay structure etc). Then also to review club reaction in the aftermath to understand how to maximise compensation in the event it does happen again (more proactive in trading out at-risk players in year before, softer or harder approach in dealing with the player, get involved in discussions from an early date).

There'll never be a one-size fits all solution, but this has been a persistent issue at Adelaide and the outcome/response seems to be no different as to when they started experiencing this six years ago.

Must be money , my issue is why would you offer $600,000 for motflop and Lever is offered $300,000 seriously this is just an example of the issue I'm talking about.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's probably less than what he was on this year. Not saying we didnt offer less than he hoped but that's rubbish.

There will be some interesting times ahead for Jake and his Dad. They like to play the media who are lapping it up because it's Adelaide. They may not get away with pulling the same stunts now they are back in Melbourne.

Anyway I am dissapointed to lose him, he is a quality player but I don't blame the club for not making him our highest paid player.

That's probably less than what he was on this year. Not saying we didnt offer less than he hoped but that's rubbish.

There will be some interesting times ahead for Jake and his Dad. They like to play the media who are lapping it up because it's Adelaide. They may not get away with pulling the same stunts now they are back in Melbourne.

Anyway I am dissapointed to lose him, he is a quality player but I don't blame the club for not making him our highest paid player.
Mate seriously this situation has put the spot light on Adelaide and they do have issues paying played so don't tell me different. Port have no issues with keeping players.

On SM-T350 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's also close to the snowfields an asset for Melbourne fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back