Why cant we blaim injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

confidence and injuries are the reasons freo played like they did yesterday.why did freo play the way they did for the first half of 2010?
I don't see why half a season of matches is the reference point. Why not 2009, which these strings of losses quite closely resemble.

As a club we should be building towards a point where we remain competitive no matter who is out. We may not win all games, but still acquit ourselves well.

This is Harvey's fourth year. We are still capitulating and playing embarrassing football deep into his tenure as Freo coach, just as we did in his first year, just as we did prior to him taking over as coach.

The manner in which we lost against St Kilda, West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne were appalling.

If we are going anywhere in the direction of winning a premiership, then as a club, that amount of those kind of losses should not happen. Especially when they happened in the latter part of 2010, all of 2009 and 2008.

As said, Collingwood had 7 premiership players out against Melbourne and won by 88 points. Sure, they're premiers and a lot better than us, but effectively 177 points better? Is that really where we're at as a club, four years into a new coach?

That is not progress, injuries or not. Aside from half a season of games, what actually suggests we are in any way on the right track towards winning a premiership?

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=5532&Code=4665d76792f17201b14b2597d9007981

To be fair, if you look at that Collingwood side: it has one green horn in it and some damn fine players.

You're missing Swan, Thomas and Jolly and Brown. Brown replaced by Tarrant.
Thats a damn fine side.
McCarthy's been around for a while, Goldsack and Buckley also.

They also started the rebuild in 2005, while ours really started in 2008, so...

we are still missing:

our number one ruckman (easily best ruckman in the AFL)
our number one forward (by goals kicked)
our number one small-forward
our number one midfield (easily top 5 mid in the AFL IMHO)
our number one tagger (and number two in Crowley)
our best third tall in defence (SNOS)
our FB

that's a huge lot of shoes to fill

i am happy with the fact that we are still in the 8 after being totally decimated by injuries

i am not happy with our effort in some of our games

also: i never include suspended players in a "who is missing list" - as it's their own fault for getting rubbed out in the first place (unless the call is seen as universally stupid and shouldn't have been cited)

He's had a few years now to sort out the lack of depth. It isn't getting any better.

You're kidding if you think our depth hasn't improved. We aren't Geelong or Collingwood deep obviously, but its still easily the best the club has ever had.

If we had this sort of injury run any other year we'd be sitting bottom 4 guaranteed. Instead we've so far managed to battle away and keep ourselves in the 8.

Some people have this idea that 'depth' means you just replace every injured player with no drop off in quality, but it doesn't work like that in real life. In real life when your depth is severely tested you just have to hope your fill ins can help keep your head above water until you get some quality back.

I don't see why half a season of matches is the reference point. Why not 2009, which these strings of losses quite closely resemble.

As a club we should be building towards a point where we remain competitive no matter who is out. We may not win all games, but still acquit ourselves well.

This is Harvey's fourth year. We are still capitulating and playing embarrassing football deep into his tenure as Freo coach, just as we did in his first year, just as we did prior to him taking over as coach.

The manner in which we lost against St Kilda, West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne were appalling.

If we are going anywhere in the direction of winning a premiership, then as a club, that amount of those kind of losses should not happen. Especially when they happened in the latter part of 2010, all of 2009 and 2008.

As said, Collingwood had 7 premiership players out against Melbourne and won by 88 points. Sure, they're premiers and a lot better than us, but effectively 177 points better? Is that really where we're at as a club, four years into a new coach?

That is not progress, injuries or not. Aside from half a season of games, what actually suggests we are in any way on the right track towards winning a premiership?
i refer to 2010 because its closer to the playing list of 2011,than the 2009 list.i'm sure the club are trying to better our current list.having the draft compromised since 2009 hasn't helped our list rebuild,considering the amount of players we have turned over.what suggests to me that we are on the right track towards a flag.using the draft picks we receive and drafting kids instead of trading for players.delisting the likes of dodd,head,murphy and co.

You're kidding if you think our depth hasn't improved. We aren't Geelong or Collingwood deep obviously, but its still easily the best the club has ever had.

If we had this sort of injury run any other year we'd be sitting bottom 4 guaranteed. Instead we've so far managed to battle away and keep ourselves in the 8.

Some people have this idea that 'depth' means you just replace every injured player with no drop off in quality, but it doesn't work like that in real life. In real life when your depth is severely tested you just have to hope your fill ins can help keep your head above water until you get some quality back.

Best depth we've ever had is hardly a benchmark, esti.

I want Freo to be up there with Geelong/Collingwood. Not better than the Freo sides of times past.

Four years into any coaching tenure, and that many insipid losses begins to get untenable. It is hard to see progress aside from half a season of good games.

I don't believe a team can ever replace like for like, but no team should have to tolerate what is effectively three seasons of mostly heartless losses.

Melbourne have been an awful side during Harvey's time as senior coach, and at no stage have we ever looked like we gave a shit against them in Melbourne. Freo would be the side Dean Bailey looks forward to each year.

Best depth we've ever had is hardly a benchmark, esti.

I want Freo to be up there with Geelong/Collingwood. Not better than the Freo sides of times past.

Four years into any coaching tenure, and that many insipid losses begins to get untenable. It is hard to see progress aside from half a season of good games.

I don't believe a team can ever replace like for like, but no team should have to tolerate what is effectively three seasons of mostly heartless losses.

Melbourne have been an awful side during Harvey's time as senior coach, and at no stage have we ever looked like we gave a shit against them in Melbourne. Freo would be the side Dean Bailey looks forward to each year.

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=2144&Code=feab09c5f9f8fb28992ad87ccdf94134

It's taken 6 years with probably the best coach at the richest club to go from this:

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=2144&Code=feab09c5f9f8fb28992ad87ccdf94134

to where they are now.

This at a club where they were only 2 years from a grand final.
It can be done. Geelong have been building that side since 1999 when Scarlett came in.

It's taken 6 years with probably the best coach at the richest club to go from this:

to where they are now.

This at a club where they were only 2 years from a grand final.
It can be done. Geelong have been building that side since 1999 when Scarlett came in.

Lach - Malthouse took a team of Buckley and a shit load of crabs to nine points away from a premiership in his third year.

I don't expect that from Harvey, but not being completely humiliated when we lose seems quite doable for his fourth year of senior coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why cant we blaim injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back