Why Collingwood Are Screwed

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2004
Other Teams
WEST COAST
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Colingwood hater - but I think you guys have a couple of lean years ahead of you.

Mick and Eddie are obviously keen to inject some genuine pace and class into the midfield, bolster the defence and find a reliable mid-size forward - but it seems to me that Collingwood have very little to offer in the way of trades.

Outside of players deemed untradeable - Buckley, Fraser, Tarrant, Rocca, Burns (maybe Lockyer and Clement), who on Collingwood's list would attract quality from other clubs?

The names I keep hearing are McGough, Davis and Walker. I would suggest you'll be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for McGough, Walker hasn't shown much, and Davis is not rated very highly outside of Collingwood.

Who do you think you could realistically get for these players? Some guy was saying Davis could go to WCE for Wirrpunda - that's ridiculous! Leon Davis would be a fringe player at WCE, and another inconsistent small forward is the last thing they need, while Wirrpunda is one of their best, and only, defensive players.

Collingwood need to be more realistic - maybe it's time to trade Chris Tarrant to Brisbane for someone like Luke Power.

You'll have to give up quality to get quality.

Collingwood should be pushing really hard for Cameron Bruce; pick 7 is a good deal for him.

Maybe you should have given Didak for Nick Stevens, like Port wanted, and held onto Heath Scotland. That way you wouldn't have to talk up guys like McGough, Davis and Walker as viable trade bait for vastly superior players.

You should come on our board more often, because there are useless pricks on this Collingwood board who have no idea what they are talking about.

I agree on everything you say. Rumour was a trade was settled with Wirrpunda for Davis. I would think Davis and something else for Wirrpunda, maybe a 3rd round draft pick. But the big bait is certainly Cameron Bruce.

For Cameron Bruce I would consider Pick 7 and Mark McGough, because we can afford to chuck that at them. I would rather trade McGough, than McGough do a Nick Stevens and get nothing in return to the club.

Mark McGough and Pick 7 is just to be safe, in other words, we have the best deal - as Melbourne is looking at a High first round pick. Pick 7 is a nightmare as it is anyway, remember Danny Roach. Bo Nixon was also a joke.

Tristen Walker - I will only keep him if he plays forward and ruck, but i would rather use him in the trade than Leon Davis, because Cameron Cloke adds height, so height is not an issue so Walker can go. Steve McKee is useless as trade bait, and i think he has been DELISTED, not told he will be traded.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
Collingwood need to be more realistic - maybe it's time to trade Chris Tarrant to Brisbane for someone like Luke Power.

Ok, using your example, trading Tarrant for Luke Power is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Power is a gun but Tarrant is the focul point of our attacking structure so that trade would be just trading for the sake of trading and not actually beneficial.

Eagle - our fans offer some stupid trades but if you have a look round you'll find we aren't the only ones. Def agree though that Leon is not worth Wirra, nor is McGough/O'Bree worth any big names. But I'm sure Mick and his rival coaches know this.

We may be due for a few lean years, considering we are now rebuilding again after 2 Grand Finals (you remember them? ;) ) and a few of our star players are starting to get on in the years. We didn't blood 10 players this year for nothing.

As for your trade ideas:
Power/Tarrant - Proves my theory we're not the only ones who throw up dumb trade ideas!
Didak/Stevens - You'll start to find out why we kept him starting next year when he plays more on the ball.
Bruce/Pick 7 - I'd probably do it if I had to give a yes/no answer right now
Scotland - It makes no sense to anyone at Collingwood besides the coaching staff why we'd give away a midfielder we'd nurtured along his whole career away so cheaply

PS Ive only heard Wirrapunda, Braun and Morrison being touted as possible tradeables for WC, which is not much of an improvement on Lockyer, O'Bree and McGough IMO - all of whom we would consider tradeable.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Colingwood hater - but I think you guys have a couple of lean years ahead of you.

Mick and Eddie are obviously keen to inject some genuine pace and class into the midfield, bolster the defence and find a reliable mid-size forward - but it seems to me that Collingwood have very little to offer in the way of trades.

Outside of players deemed untradeable - Buckley, Fraser, Tarrant, Rocca, Burns (maybe Lockyer and Clement), who on Collingwood's list would attract quality from other clubs?

The names I keep hearing are McGough, Davis and Walker. I would suggest you'll be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for McGough, Walker hasn't shown much, and Davis is not rated very highly outside of Collingwood.

Who do you think you could realistically get for these players? Some guy was saying Davis could go to WCE for Wirrpunda - that's ridiculous! Leon Davis would be a fringe player at WCE, and another inconsistent small forward is the last thing they need, while Wirrpunda is one of their best, and only, defensive players.

You'll have to give up quality to get quality.

Collingwood should be pushing really hard for Cameron Bruce; pick 7 is a good deal for him.

Maybe you should have given Didak for Nick Stevens, like Port wanted, and held onto Heath Scotland. That way you wouldn't have to talk up guys like McGough, Davis and Walker as viable trade bait for vastly superior players.

You havent mentioned anything we dont already know or had not previously thought of.

The didak stevens issue is finished. forget it.

Bruce will stay at melb.

Id keep davis he is better than that weak ******** ant wiirpunda.

Walker wasnt to bad when he came back into the side, displayed pace, strength and good aerial ability.

Mccough may get us a third/fourth round pick. id take it too.

And please give up on us trading taz, he is a great talent and coming into some peachy years.

All in all sydney eagle you have provided us with nothing new and may have convinced 1 or 2 people you something about collingwood. which u dont.

Have a nice day.

And lonie from 50 you are a ********.

• Banned
I think you'll find that interest in Leon Davis is pretty low - no-one outside of Collingwood rates this guy.

West Coast would be the last side interested in him, and no way in hell would we cough up Wirrpunda for an inconsistent, undisciplined passenger.

I have a little sister who was born in WA - can she come home and play for West Coast as well? That seems to be the attitude of a lot of ex-WA players; they just put up their hands and expect West Coast to automatically trade required players to bring them home. Screw that - Davis would be a fringe play at WCE, although Freo would probably be interested.

As for the Tarrant/ Power trade, I was merely offering an example of how in order to re-build your midfield, you might actually have to trade a quality player that has been considered 'untradeable'. I doubt Poweer would want to play for Collingwood.

Tarrant isn't indispensable - how many goals did he kick this year?

He averaged roughly 3 goals a game in 14 games total alternating between forward flank, CHF and FF.

Power is not the type of player to build a midfield around, he is the cream on top.

We'll trade you Taz for Judd.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
Collingwood need to be more realistic - maybe it's time to trade Chris Tarrant to Brisbane for someone like Luke Power.QUOTE]

You were doing quite well until you came up with this clanger.

Lonie_from_50 said:

Tristen Walker - I will only keep him if he plays forward and ruck, but i would rather use him in the trade than Leon Davis, because Cameron Cloke adds height, so height is not an issue so Walker can go. Steve McKee is useless as trade bait, and i think he has been DELISTED, not told he will be traded.

You obviously haven't seen him play much. His best football has been in the back line at williamstown. If he's going to be used as a forward we would be better trading him. Walker will be a KPP backmen not a forward.

deck said:
You obviously haven't seen him play much. His best football has been in the back line at williamstown. If he's going to be used as a forward we would be better trading him. Walker will be a KPP backmen not a forward.

I have watched every AFL match in 2003!!!
I have watched every AFL match in 2004!!!

I am not a liar, I am one of the biggest AFL nuts in the country at an age of 17.

Now, I understand what you mean by he is better in the backline, as shown at Williamstown, and was very good, but IMO from the games I saw and from analysis from Brad Gotch, Tristan Walker was playing IN a Key Position, but played off his man, that way - that is how he averaged 12-16 possessions a match. His form was good, and when he got back into the senior side, he did play good football, and he did play in the Forward Line, and spent SOME time in the Ruck. The big sign of him becoming a forward was shown at Telstra Stadium, Rnd 21 v Sydney in 2003. I was at the game, and actually kept an eye on him, as his start to the game was very good, kicking 1.1 in the first quarter. Not only was he good in the forward line, but was terrific in the ruck.

Tex is trade bait, especially to lure Wirrpunda over here with a good trade if possible.

Stan - you are an idiot. The things you have said on bigfooty are useless but they are your opinion. I am not asking you to agree with me in my points, but gee, grow up mate and watch the friggin game. Cameron Bruce might stay, but why not give McGough and Pick 7 up for a good descent footballer from the Dees, and if you are one who thinks Woewodin is ********, then you have no idea!!!

Walker has potential to be a great CHB/FB. However he has a bit of Trent Croad in him, that is more of an athlete rather than a footballer. He can be a handy tall forward but we have alot of options up forward already. Walker is average in the ruck at best, he could do a good nullifying job on a mobile ruckman though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie_from_50 said:
I have watched every AFL match in 2003!!!
I have watched every AFL match in 2004!!!

I am not a liar, I am one of the biggest AFL nuts in the country at an age of 17.

Now, I understand what you mean by he is better in the backline, as shown at Williamstown, and was very good, but IMO from the games I saw and from analysis from Brad Gotch, Tristan Walker was playing IN a Key Position, but played off his man, that way - that is how he averaged 12-16 possessions a match. His form was good, and when he got back into the senior side, he did play good football, and he did play in the Forward Line, and spent SOME time in the Ruck. The big sign of him becoming a forward was shown at Telstra Stadium, Rnd 21 v Sydney in 2003. I was at the game, and actually kept an eye on him, as his start to the game was very good, kicking 1.1 in the first quarter. Not only was he good in the forward line, but was terrific in the ruck.

Tex is trade bait, especially to lure Wirrpunda over here with a good trade if possible.

Stan - you are an idiot. The things you have said on bigfooty are useless but they are your opinion. I am not asking you to agree with me in my points, but gee, grow up mate and watch the friggin game. Cameron Bruce might stay, but why not give McGough and Pick 7 up for a good descent footballer from the Dees, and if you are one who thinks Woewodin is ********, then you have no idea!!!
I think we will need more then Walker..

The Scarecrow said:
I think we will need more then Walker..

Is this for a Wirrpunda deal - yeah for sure. I am only saying this because Tex is from WA, so there is nothing saying he will go. I wouldn't give Davis and Walker for Wirrpunda - too much of a risk, even though those two will most likely be fringe players.

According to the AFL Board, it is that Melbourne are getting better deals from Hawthorn for Bruce, which you would expect, so if we traded McGough for Wirra, it could happen - even though McGough won't get much chances.

Oh well. At this stage I want Wirra.

The Scarecrow said:
No offence to either player, but I wouldn't think West Coast would take Davis and Walker for Wirra. Maybe Walker, and a pick, or another player.

I think it is even, but i would keep one when we could give up a third round draft pick.

Great news we are screwed, no need to renew my membership next year, that will save me a few bucks.

Umm while you are at it, dispensing all this deep insight and superior knowledge, can you let me know what the lotto numbers will be this week - ta much appreciated

You make a good point, agree totally with you saying you have to trade quality to get quality. I said this a while back and people took my head off. I think if we are serious then we seriously need to be looking at trading one of our big guns IE Taz/Didak I think these two players are great and will probly improve imensly but they would also have enormous trade value.

guess_who said:
Also in todays paper it pretty much says that Wirra is staying put.

That just makes my day -

No David Wirrpunda
No Cameron Bruce

Can't wait to trade week!!!

I think you will have to do some thinking in Fee's Fee's Office guess_who, and see who is coming to Collingwood :D

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
I think you'll find that interest in Leon Davis is pretty low - no-one outside of Collingwood rates this guy.

West Coast would be the last side interested in him, and no way in hell would we cough up Wirrpunda for an inconsistent, undisciplined passenger.

I have a little sister who was born in WA - can she come home and play for West Coast as well? That seems to be the attitude of a lot of ex-WA players; they just put up their hands and expect West Coast to automatically trade required players to bring them home. Screw that - Davis would be a fringe play at WCE, although Freo would probably be interested.

As for the Tarrant/ Power trade, I was merely offering an example of how in order to re-build your midfield, you might actually have to trade a quality player that has been considered 'untradeable'. I doubt Poweer would want to play for Collingwood.

Tarrant isn't indispensable - how many goals did he kick this year?

Who is saying davis wants to go back sydney eagle, i havent heard anthing.

Your little sister is probably harder at the ball than you and wirrpunda put together.

We can re-build our midfield by using the draft not by trading a quality player like taz.

Tarrant is indispensable and missed eight or so games but kicked 36 goals, with rocca back next year and cam cloke in there we should be back to a direct style of play which will help him increase his goal scoring output.

Let me just clarify a few things:

Firstly, I'm not saying that Tarrant for Power is THE trade you should be chasing - it was just an example of how you might have to trade an 'untradeable' to get some quality in return.

Secondly, I don't think Wirrpunda wil be traded, despite interest from several Victorian clubs.

Thirdly, if Collingwood were to pursue him you would have to offer a lot more than McGough or Walker. Seriously, where would "snail's pace" McGough fit into an Eagles side with such a strong midfield? And Walker, while talented, would be just another young, undeveloped KPP. We don't need either of these players.

Fourthly, I heard Davis wanted to go home to WA. That could be bull****, I don't know, but he's been offered as trade bait by Collingwood in seasons past. Either way, I don't think he would appeal to West Coast either.

In closing, I would re-iterate that Collingwood's forward line is not their problem - it's their lack of run and skill in the midfield. Buckley has got a couple more years in him, and Lockyer will be a good player, but it falls away from there.

O'Bree has had one good season and done nothing since, Woewodin is patchy and Licuria is honest but lacks polish. To be up there for the next few years, Collingwood desperately needs an injection of genuine pace, and some skill. The grunt and experience are there, just not the class.

Bruce would be a perfect fit, but you'll have to give at least your 1st round pick. The other one I might suggest is Callum Chambers from WCE. He's a Victorian boy, drafted by Mick, who has asked to be traded home. This is official - not rumour. He is a genuinely quick, attacking midfielder/wingman who has struggled to get a regular spot at WC.

I'm not suggesting you would part with a fantastic player for him, maybe a 2nd round pick? He's 24 and quite handy - I'm disappointed to see him go.

You can keep McGough and Davis - they're both crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Collingwood Are Screwed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back