Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way in Hell that Pav is better than Roo.

So what if he's more versatile?

Roo has won more games off his own boot, and by willing his team across the line than Pav ever has.

Roo is a far better leader than Pav.

Those two criteria are far more important than AA (which is essentially meaningless) or how many positions you can play.

Brown>Roo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pav

Seems like a lot of people just want to throw inflammatory, biased bullsh!t around so I thought I'd join in.

Pavlich makes a crap team look good whereas Reiwoldt is made to look good by an excellent team. ;)

Seriously have any of you actually watched games this year with Pav. He is playing about 80% of games in the midfield because we are struggling in that area.

Basically he's sacrificed his personal game for the better of the team

There is no way in Hell that Pav is better than Roo.

So what if he's more versatile?

Roo has won more games off his own boot, and by willing his team across the line than Pav ever has.

Roo is a far better leader than Pav.

Those two criteria are far more important than AA (which is essentially meaningless) or how many positions you can play.

Brown>Roo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pav

Has he now?
The fact that Pav has been in such an average team, the fact that usually one man can play so well, with such a mob of plodders around him, is more of a testament and I hope we get to the stage before he's too old where he's not johnny on the spot, desperately trying to drag the team up.

Both elite players

I think Pav probably has it over Riewoldt if you look at their entire career, but to say that Riewoldt isn't consistent is laughable

A season or two ago I would have traded Roo for Pav, but not any more. Roo is in career best form, and is showing tremendous leadership. Now that he has improved his kicking for goal (deadly outside 50 this season) he is proving to be the complete forward

Yes, I think Pavlich has a better game in the midfield than Roo. I would cringe to see Riewoldt inside the centre square, though he did run through there with some success a few years ago. Running up to the wings is fine, and his passing in general play looks to have improved

The fact that Freo aren't as good as St Kilda in the middle at the moment is a junk argument for Pavlich. If Pav stays in the middle all season, will be interesting to see if he can make AA. I'm tipping no

Saw a few pages back a link to YouTube which is banned here at my work, but even so I know what mark by Riewoldt that refers to. I remember being at the game and seeing it, but not really seeing it, and then looking gobsmacked at the replay. Shame we lost (there went our Streak, if memory serves me correctly)

I doubt either club wishes they had the other's gun player

Seems like a lot of people just want to throw inflammatory, biased bullsh!t around so I thought I'd join in.

Pavlich makes a crap team look good whereas Reiwoldt is made to look good by an excellent team. ;)

Seriously have any of you actually watched games this year with Pav. He is playing about 80% of games in the midfield because we are struggling in that area.
Don't you mean "look dangerous"?

If I had to choose one to take at Collingwood (right now or at any time over their respective careers) it would be Pavlich. Nothing against Riewoldt, cause he's a champ - just rate Pav a little higher.

Spose we could have just drafted Pav when we had the chance.

*vomits*

Depends which years you're talking about. When we haven't been bottom 4 he along with a few players have made us look good.

When we have been bottom 4 i.e this year and last he along with Sandilands (and possibly Haselby) are probably the only dangers and worry for opposition coaches.

Pavlich for the win.

Whilst Roo is a great player no doubt, Pav has had to carry a mediocre team for almost a decade. He gets very little back up leadership, unlike Roo who has had Hayes, Ball, and before that Hamill to provide great leadership to back up his own.

As pure footballers, Pav is equal with Roo in contested marks, much better kick, and he has also proved that he can play in the midfield and dominate, not many 6ft 4 fwds can lay claim to that. The only area in which Roo has Pav covered is endurance, which is a key element in todays game.

Depends which years you're talking about. When we haven't been bottom 4 he along with a few players have made us look good.

When we have been bottom 4 i.e this year and last he along with Sandilands (and possibly Haselby) are probably the only dangers and worry for opposition coaches.

If you're not in the bottom 4, you're not crap
If you're not in the top 8, you're not good

You can't "look good" and be in the bottom half of the ladder. The best you can hope to be is the best of those that didn't make the 8

If Pavlich had been picked up by Collingwood at 4 in the draft after Josh Fraser and had led them to two flags now like he should have. He would be thought of us up there with Leigh Matthews as the greatest player of all time.

Instead we traded the pick for Steve McKee and Danny Roach…

Greatest mistake in the Maguire era.

And the rest is history.:confused:

Pavlich has 8 All-Australian Guernseys playing for the most under performing team in history, Fremantle.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

What might have been!

The thing that separates the two isn't natural talent, it's heart.

Roo is selfless in how he pays. Pav isn't.

Carrying the new Fitzroy on your back for the best part of a decade with only Peter Bell riding shotgun - and winning 6 All-Australian guernseys and 5 Best and Fairests along the way - doesn't take a fair whack of selflessness and heart?

Come on.

If Pavlich had been picked up by Collingwood at 4 in the draft after Josh Fraser and had led them to two flags now like he should have. He would be thought of us up there with Leigh Matthews as the greatest player of all time.

Instead we traded the pick for Steve McKee and Danny Roach…

Greatest mistake in the Maguire era.

And the rest is history.:confused:

Pavlich has 8 All-Australian Guernseys playing for the most under performing team in history, Fremantle.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

What might have been!

Didnt realise he'd won 8 AA guernseys :eek:

If he had played in a successful vic team he would have won a brownlow and a flag without doubt!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carrying the new Fitzroy on your back for the best part of a decade with only Peter Bell riding shotgun - and winning 6 All-Australian guernseys and 5 Best and Fairests along the way - doesn't take a fair whack of selflessness and heart?

Come on.

All-Australians are individual 'awards' (personally I don't hold much stock in them given the selection panel). Selfishness would help rather than hinder winning individual awards like that.

TBH I'm surprised too that he's only won 5 B&F's in the scrappy teams he's played in. B&F's I rate, but Roo has won 4 in a much stronger team.

The ONLY area I would rate Pav ahead of Roo is durability. Roo's had a lot more injury interrupted seasons than Pav. So taking that into account and the fact Pav has had a longer career, they are pretty even as far as individual awards go.

depends what position your talking about...

CHF roo probably edges out pav, at least this year

in the middle pav hands down and probably similarly in the backline

depends what position your talking about...

CHF roo probably edges out pav, at least this year

in the middle pav hands down and probably similarly in the backline

If we ever needed to start playing Roo in the backline then I think it would be time to trade him.

In previous years I found that Reiwoldts game revolved largely around hard leads outside 50 yet he was pretty much ineffective when going for goal from anywhere near the arc. From what I've seen this year, that has definitely changed and I'd have him ahead of Pav. Taking their entire careers into account I'd have Pav ahead but Roo will overtake him eventually.

Only because Pav is a better footballer.

Pav is more explosive, more versatile, and more skilful. Nick may have more endurance.

Nick also sooks far tooo much, but he is a good player.

TBH I'm surprised too that he's only won 5 B&F's in the scrappy teams he's played in.

He would have won the last 8 if it wasn't for Peter Bell just pipping him in 01, 03 and 04. From memory Pav came second in each of those years.

And yet there was still someone earlier in the thread trying to argue Pav wasn't as consistent as Roo. That person obviously hasn't been paying attention for the last decade.

surely you couldnt even entertain the thought that roo is more versitile than pav??

Sorry, I can't remember posting that I did. :confused:

Actually, I think I acknowledged Pav probably has more natural talent.

Not sure the point of this post.

Pav is more explosive, more versatile, and more skilful. Nick may have more endurance..

I presume you missed last week's game?

Roo set the tone with the incredible mark he took early in the game.

He then probably nailed the goal that was the difference in the last.

Explosive, versatile & skilful would all be appropriate adjectives to describe his performance.

Sorry, I can't remember posting that I did. :confused:

Actually, I think I acknowledged Pav probably has more natural talent.

Not sure the point of this post.

you tried to refute my claim that pav is more versatile in that he can play in numerous positions by saying that riewoldt isnt required to play down back... but i doubt even if he was that he would be any good. pav has an AA gunsey at full back as well as chf

you tried to refute my claim that pav is more versatile in that he can play in numerous positions by saying that riewoldt isnt required to play down back... but i doubt even if he was that he would be any good. pav has an AA gunsey at full back as well as chf
WTF?

I thought my comment backed your thoughts if anything.

Paranoid much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back