Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

There'll be at least 1 or 2 other clubs come up with new game plans to counter the pies.
I could see them having a very similar year to Geelong 08. Dominating everything except for a couple of clubs who they are evenly matched against.

I actually think we will take 1 or 2 steps back in 2011 as we have pretty much lost all of our experienced depth players and no longer have that group of 30 players who can just step in a be at the level required.

Excited about seeing a couple of young kids come through in Tom Young and Lachie Keefe who had very very good years developing in the VFL last year.

I actually think we will take 1 or 2 steps back in 2011 as we have pretty much lost all of our experienced depth players and no longer have that group of 30 players who can just step in a be at the level required.

Excited about seeing a couple of young kids come through in Tom Young and Lachie Keefe who had very very good years developing in the VFL last year.

I agree with this. Collingwood were awsome this year and it's scary that they could get even better, however I could see them going along the lines of Hawthorn from 08-09 ( can't see it being as a big of a fall). While they have only lost Presti from their best 22, if they get a few injuries or a few players loose form (Leigh Brown could not possibly play that well again next year) they don't quite have that depth anymore.

In saying that I still wouldn't mind being in their shoes. :D

Pies are bound to drop. They have Leigh Brown as their 2nd ruckman and 3rd tall forward. I'm surprised he's still on an afl list. Dawes looks a bit on the slow side and I wonder if we'll still be talking about him in 2 years. Looks promising but he has deficiences. Cloke sprays the ball all over the place. In defence they have 2 good size talls in Brown and Reid. Their captain hasn't bigger teeth than he has arms :cool:

Pies are bound to drop. They have Leigh Brown as their 2nd ruckman and 3rd tall forward. I'm surprised he's still on an afl list. Dawes looks a bit on the slow side and I wonder if we'll still be talking about him in 2 years. Looks promising but he has deficiences. Cloke sprays the ball all over the place. In defence they have 2 good size talls in Brown and Reid. Their captain hasn't bigger teeth than he has arms :cool:

for starters, L. Brown would be your second best player, sure it took him a while to find his feet but he has now and there's no reason think he'll go backwards.

as for cloke spraying it all over the place, so what?, he did this year too and apart from one hiccup we systematicly destroyed everyone, clokes kicking cant get any worse.

Elite kicks on every line
Speed on every line
Best spine in the league
Deepest midfield in the league

And we just made our list even better.

Gees we're in trouble next year

for starters, L. Brown would be your second best player, sure it took him a while to find his feet but he has now and there's no reason think he'll go backwards.

as for cloke spraying it all over the place, so what?, he did this year too and apart from one hiccup we systematicly destroyed everyone, clokes kicking cant get any worse.

yeah Brown would be our 2nd best player but i'd be furious if he was even added to our list :cool:
He's played 3 good games and he'll be 30 soon lol

yeah Brown would be our 2nd best player but i'd be furious if he was even added to our list :cool:
He's played 3 good games and he'll be 30 soon lol

mate, he was the only fwd who stood up in our 09 finals campain, also did jobs down back and played ruck, hell of a player really, so versitile, jack of all trades master of none but he's very good value.

tiges arnt far away mate, the clock is ticking for the sleeping giants to arise and god help us all when they do.

So funny how many people didn't bother to read the title of the thread or what it was about. The question wasn't "why don't you think Collingwood is so far ahead?" It was very clear and if you read the first post it's even clearer. It just goes to prove my point that so many people in here can't have an objective discussion about anything when it comes to footy. Too busy navel gazing I guess.

So funny how many people didn't bother to read the title of the thread or what it was about. The question wasn't "why don't you think Collingwood is so far ahead?" It was very clear and if you read the first post it's even clearer. It just goes to prove my point that so many people in here can't have an objective discussion about anything when it comes to footy. Too busy navel gazing I guess.

The problem is not people's inability to answer a question, the problem is the question itself. It supposes something that is simply not true, that people think Pies are so far ahead. In fact they don't and that is what is coming out in the thread.

If you had asked "Do you think Pies are a long way ahead of the rest?" you would have got a different slant. But you presuppose public opinion so the public is anxious to tell you you are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is not people's inability to answer a question, the problem is the question itself. It supposes something that is simply not true, that people think Pies are so far ahead. In fact they don't and that is what is coming out in the thread.

If you had asked "Do you think Pies are a long way ahead of the rest?" you would have got a different slant. But you presuppose public opinion so the public is anxious to tell you you are wrong.
There was no presupposition about it. If I could be fragged, I could quote countless posts by Collingwood and other clubs fans where they were making the statement that Collingwood were miles ahead of anybody else. (Which I clearly happen to disagree with btw.) There's even some evidence of that in this thread. If people had bothered to read my first post they would have know that was what it was about.

There was no presupposition about it. If I could be fragged, I could quote countless posts by Collingwood and other clubs fans where they were making the statement that Collingwood were miles ahead of anybody else. (Which I clearly happen to disagree with btw.) There's even some evidence of that in this thread. If people had bothered to read my first post they would have know that was what it was about.

Well I think there is a presupposition. Much like if I posted "Why do so many people think Nick Riewoldt is the best player in the AFL?"

I too could point to many Saints supporters and neutrals making the statement but the title inflames the vast majority who actually do not think that at all.

Yes a lot of Pies supporters are thinking this way. And a few neutrals. But most people know the reality of AFL and next year will be like any other, 3 or 4 genuine chances and Pies will just be one of them.

In 1990 Collingwood won the premieership. In 1991 Collingwood Won the race to finish in the shit position of 7. A lot can happen in a year of footy. Just ask Hawthorn 08/09 and Essendon 1993 who were the same sort of side as Collingwood. Alsso no team has won after drawing a grand final the year before.

Well I think there is a presupposition. Much like if I posted "Why do so many people think Nick Riewoldt is the best player in the AFL?".
Then you would be completely wrong. As I said, I'm not going to go through a week of posts to quote specific instances because I don't think there's a need. The simple fact is that there have been so many posts this week from non-collingwood and collingwood supporters alike who have made exactly the observation that I quoted. I made no supposition about people who don't think it, I simply made the observation that there were a lot who do and I questioned why? That's pretty much the end of the story except so many of the childish chest beaters had to come in here and make big men out of themselves by ignoring the topic and spouting utter nonsense.

I too could point to many Saints supporters and neutrals making the statement but the title inflames the vast majority who actually do not think that at all.

Yes a lot of Pies supporters are thinking this way. And a few neutrals. But most people know the reality of AFL and next year will be like any other, 3 or 4 genuine chances and Pies will just be one of them.
That's precisely the point I've been making but there is a chiildish cohort in this forum who are so easily inflamed and totally unable to have an objective discussion. It's not a dig at anyone in particular but simply an observation of the mentality of a group of posters.

stop usin big words guys pleeez.

apart from a few zealouts, i dont think anyone else has supported the view that the pies are MILES ahead - its more that circumstances as they are currently do make it harder than normal for a team to match the pies - compromised draft, pies young list, pies depth (still exists - the guys gone were getting old & struggling to keep up with the new game style), the kings of 08-09 probably past their peak, the other challengers still 2+ years away from an expected GF berth - i can go on.

on a whole set of arguments theres enough to suggest the pies remain at the very top for 2 more years. the arguments against that arent strong enough......YET.

I made no supposition about people who don't think it, I simply made the observation that there were a lot who do and I questioned why? .

Let me spell it out for you, If you read the title "Why do so many people think Collingwood is so far ahead of the rest.?" and. like the vast majority of people, you don't think that, then the only way to answer is "I don't think that?" and likely you are going to say why.

Now you are perfectly entitled to ask the question. No issue with that.

But don't then complain that you are not getting a whole lot of responses along the lines of "We think that because the Pies are so freaking good."

In 1990 Collingwood won the premieership. In 1991 Collingwood Won the race to finish in the shit position of 7. A lot can happen in a year of footy. Just ask Hawthorn 08/09 and Essendon 1993 who were the same sort of side as Collingwood. Alsso no team has won after drawing a grand final the year before.
After winning in 1990 in 1991 Collingwood were just not prepared for the hard yards. Now being a Geelong supporter you would not have seen it, but Eddie McGuire talks on "the Road to Victory" DVD about 1991 and the failure of the club to mentally prepare for that season. The players were still in party mode at R11, when it dawn on them heck we are going to miss the finals". Despite winning a heap games late the damage was already done and we did not make the finals.

MM, the players, the coaches and the Board will not fall for that in 2011. MM has already stated that he is going in even harder in 2011 to get another premiership for Collingwood in 2011. 2010 is already history, 2011 is the only season that counts.

All teams start equal @ R1, but come R24, I suspect Colligwood will be nunber one and looking fwd to finals football. That said I suspect Geelong will still one of the teams making a massive push to regain the flag.

"Alsso (sic!) no team has won after drawing a grand final the year before" ....based on what 2 years stats 1948 and 1977

f05d072a9bb5d499bbbd498e595055bd.gif

Let me spell it out for you, If you read the title "Why do so many people think Collingwood is so far ahead of the rest.?" and. like the vast majority of people, you don't think that, then the only way to answer is "I don't think that?" and likely you are going to say why.

Now you are perfectly entitled to ask the question. No issue with that.

But don't then complain that you are not getting a whole lot of responses along the lines of "We think that because the Pies are so freaking good."
Let me spell it out for you! That says more about people who want to come in here chest beating than it does about me. On the one side you have somebody trying to be objective, on the other you have trolls.

the reason they appear in front is 2 fold:

1. they have lost nothing. and appear to have topped up with taz & krak

2. the remainder of the top 4 look a bit past it. getting older, losing players etc feeling is that WB, Geelong & saints might be due to start regressing

doesn't mean someone won't emerge but the existent power clubs seem vulnerable.

Let me spell it out for you! That says more about people who want to come in here chest beating than it does about me. On the one side you have somebody trying to be objective, on the other you have trolls.

If you were being objective you would not have worded the title in that way. It is the equivalent of the journalistic "People are saying......"

It puts a bias on the very question itself.

If you were being objective you would not have worded the title in that way. It is the equivalent of the journalistic "People are saying......"

It puts a bias on the very question itself.
In your opinion!

The simple fact is that the title of the thread when read in conjunction with the initial post is abundantly clear to anybody with half a brain and eminently objective. Everyone knows that a thread title doesn't give you enough space to adequately explain the purpose of the thread. That's why intelligent people read the first post that gives it context. Of course there's always the lazy ones who pick up a newspaper and only read the headlines. They most surely wind up with a very warped view of the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back