Why do you support/ love your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

I, like many (don't want to say most but it wouldn't surprise me), was "persuaded" by a family member to support Carlton. One of the first pictures of myself is me dressed up in a Carlton beanie, propped up between a Carlton cushion and a Carlton doll. I can't remember a time I didn't go for Carlton (spent some time in Geelong as a kid at a camp when the Cats were playing off for a GF (can't remember which one) and REFUSED to support then during the GF (despite some "gentle" persuasion by the camp leaders to do so) because it simply wasn't in my nature to do so.

I think this is a key reason why some clubs (Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond) are more successful (supporter-base wise anyway) than others (Melbourne/North/Western Bulldogs/St. Kilda).

Supporters from the "big four" teams are often born into a family which supports said team, or has an influential family member which does. Kids from these families are brought up following them, and a passion to do so evolves to the point where anything else isn't an option. Some may call it brain-washing, but I call it instilling a sense of pride for supporting a particular team from a young age (once they are branded they never go back ;):thumbsu:)

I can't comment too much regarding the other teams, but I just don't see their supporter bases being as strong/established/passionate. Sure you may grow up with a family member going for say North (who my mother barracks for) or Hawthorn (who my father, who I have no real relationship with, barracks for) but the sense that supporting said team is the ONLY option doesn't seem as strong (thus why I, and my Brother, ended up barracking for Carlton due to my Uncle supporting them)

Some teams seem to get a large number of supporters due to a successful period (eg North during the 90's) but they can't/don't sustain said membership base during the tougher times (eg North of late) while others seem to have strong membership bases no matter what (Richmond), while others have both (Collingwood of late). It just seems to be a different mentality/culture between the supporter bases.

P.S at no stage during this rant have I aimed to/meant to upset/insult any supporter group. I have just stated my opinion on the differing mentalities between supporter groups.

Family is proud West Australian and advid WAFL followers back in the day. Only made sense to follow West Coast ever since the formation of a WA team.

I can't comment too much regarding the other teams, but I just don't see their supporter bases being as strong/established/passionate. Sure you may grow up with a family member going for say North (who my mother barracks for) or Hawthorn (who my father, who I have no real relationship with, barracks for) but the sense that supporting said team is the ONLY option doesn't seem as strong (thus why I, and my Brother, ended up barracking for Carlton due to my Uncle supporting them)

The other way of looking at it is, I chose my football team - had the mental strength to not be bullied and brainwashed into someone else's preference as to who I should support.

As I got older I realised what a great choice I'd made as the club's stated ideals and values are congruent with my own, and the silverware along the way has been not too shabby either.

Don't get into a 'passion' pissing competition - there will be no winner.

Sometimes I wonder, but essentially born into it. Dad is a Tigs man, and it looked good early (70s, early 80s), but not so good since then. Richo kept me going through the 90s and 00s.

I can't remember or perhaps never knew why I support the Tigers. I just do.

The feeling of being part of a real living club with ups and dows, so many downs, the feeling of excitement about what will happen when we fire if we ever do...the song, the Tiger Army, the sense of occasion when we are going well, the hot tigergirls the sexiest girl fans in the league!!!

I couldn't imagine supporting anyone else but I have a soft spot for little North melbourne which is a part of Melbourne footy and should stay.

Born in to this.

They wiped the blood off me and baptised me with a royal blue and white beanie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you support/ love your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back