Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh gee I'm sorry for not breaking the rules or anything.
Once you win one you can celebrate for only so long. Plus its entertaining to see threads here, as it is for the cats supporters that join our threads.
get a grip
Just remember this is not your home turf.

Discuss all you want. State you case and make your points. Keep it respectful, as you are, and you'll be fine.

Go Catters

They have won more flags than us, won more finals than us (by a mile - thanks Chris Scott), have had far better list mngmt than us, have far more members than us, and a far more accomplished coaching staff than us. They are the benchmark we should be aiming for as a team and club.
I'm pretty sure on the membership issue when we looked a couple of years back that our lower numbers were bringing in more $ than the Hawthorn membership,there is memberships and memberships no idea if it's still the case.

They have won more flags than us, won more finals than us (by a mile - thanks Chris Scott), have had far better list mngmt than us, have far more members than us, and a far more accomplished coaching staff than us. They are the benchmark we should be aiming for as a team and club.
20150115_173442_.jpg

I agree, I'd rather be a humble supporter of an unsuccessful club than the arrogant supporter of a continuously successful club?!? This is the kind of rubbish echoed by far too many GFC supporters for too many years now. The AFL comp is about winning flags not being nice supporters of a 'nice' little country AFL club.

Exactly. If winning isn't important, why is the win/loss ratio in the last decade held up as proof of all time greatness?

Exactly. If winning isn't important, why is the win/loss ratio in the last decade held up as proof of all time greatness?

Winnng is important, because it's the ultimate aim of every sport, club, player and member......

But the way losses and wins are acknowledged and celebrated that is important to a club's culture.

We haven't always been perfect ourselves.

That was payback 101.
Talent alone was not how Dermie "beat" the majority of his opponents, yet he was a highly talented player.
In fact it was Sheedy who openly advised Blight that to win the flag, which he thought we could and should do, we had to stop Dermie from stopping us; Dermie had already run through Yeates in the first encounter, unfairly of course.

It wouldn't have been had the AFL not resorted to turning the game into soccer.
25 years ago had Lake been around and said that shit to Ablett Senior, he would have been knocked out because you can bet your bottom dollar Ablett would have squared the ledger as he often did during his career.
Today, players get away with anything they want. Look at Sam Mitchell pretending to pump a syringe into his veins when they played Essendon.
If he does that, he'd do the same to a drug addict passed out on the streets.

I guess it's for the better as we don't want to see those thuggery days again but it's times like that (Clark v Lake incident) you just wish we had Mooney still playing for us.

I applaud the AFL's endeavour to take the king hit out of the game, but I believe, like a lot of others, that they've over-compensated.

I just hate watching players pinch, grab and molest their opponent rather than just simply beat them one on one with skill. It's more a battle of who can aggravate / resist retaliation the best these days.

We all want to see the physical clash as long as it's clean and fair.

That's a good list and we have some catching up to do but it's not everything. They did partially move to another state. That's a massive negative. Even the saints and Bulldogs have managed to avoid that so far. Plus they are quite a boring side to watch considering how successful they have been. Nothing like the geelong and Brisbane sides in terms of excitement factor which in an entertainment industry like football is also a big negative.

That's a good list and we have some catching up to do but it's not everything. They did partially move to another state. That's a massive negative. Even the saints and Bulldogs have managed to avoid that so far. Plus they are quite a boring side to watch considering how successful they have been. Nothing like the geelong and Brisbane sides in terms of excitement factor which in an entertainment industry like football is also a big negative.
Willo picked it during the finals, Hawthorn play AFL like a Rugby game they look to swing it wide where possible but if they can't they will kick to a contest near the boundary line and force it out to create a dead ball situation where they can use their set plays to create the man out the back.
Is it attractive? not in the slightest, does it work? Damn right it does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was payback 101.
Talent alone was not how Dermie "beat" the majority of his opponents, yet he was a highly talented player.
In fact it was Sheedy who openly advised Blight that to win the flag, which he thought we could and should do, we had to stop Dermie from stopping us; Dermie had already run through Yeates in the first encounter, unfairly of course.

one of the finest and most underrated footballers of all time in my view was Dermott Brereton. His misdemeanors get a better wrap these days than his actual playing ability.
Jason Dunstall gets most of the accolades but it was Brereton who was the heart and soul of the club.
Only 187cm tall but played as a true centre half forward in an era when the 'gorilla sized' defenders started popping up left right and center.
I have sorted through so many old video tapes of Hawthorn and it has always been Brereton leading from the frong on most occassions. Very similar to Joel Selwood of today that ability to raise his game when the team needed it.
Awesome contested mark too.

think twice before agreeing there Stan ;)

Darcy Moore looks an awfully solid prospect. He'll no doubt be much improved again which significantly alters their forward line which was so reliant on Cloke. Throw in Crisp who looks a much better target than Jesse White.
They have a terrific young midfield led by Grundy/Moore alternating in ruck. Adams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Treloar, Macaffer.

Gonna be much improved. Particularly if Reid stays healthy as he's their Harry Taylor.

He's safe. The foot skills in that group are some of the worst in the competition.

They thumped the living shit out of us near the end of the year so how can you be so sure?
Teams improve as they mature so while foot skills were atrocious one season, doesn't necessarily mean it continues. Do you remember out disposal use in 2006?

They thumped the living shit out of us near the end of the year so how can you be so sure?
Teams improve as they mature so while foot skills were atrocious one season, doesn't necessarily mean it continues. Do you remember out disposal use in 2006?
Add at least a dozen reinforcements to that side.

think twice before agreeing there Stan ;)

Darcy Moore looks an awfully solid prospect. He'll no doubt be much improved again which significantly alters their forward line which was so reliant on Cloke. Throw in Crisp who looks a much better target than Jesse White.
They have a terrific young midfield led by Grundy/Moore alternating in ruck. Adams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Treloar, Macaffer.

Gonna be much improved. Particularly if Reid stays healthy as he's their Harry Taylor.
Nah, I have no interest in making any bets to do with Collingwood. This is about our club and I couldn't care less about anyone else.

Collingwood isn't involved in our bet, but they will be better than us in the next two seasons they already pushed all the top 4 teams last year all the way where as we were hopeless against top 4 teams apart from Sydney who went on to go out in straight sets in the finals and were never real contenders.

which players?
There's at least a dozen. I won't get into specifics just so you don't start ranting about injuries, etc. ;)

There's at least a dozen. I won't get into specifics just so you don't start ranting about injuries, etc. ;)
Pretty simple last year. We beat the pies when they had a few players out. The returned the favour when we were likewise undermanned. Not much can be gleaned other than that.

Just to make yet another bold statement on here that I honestly but sadly believe will happen - Collingwood will win another flag before we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back