Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right but if I had the choice of one or the other I know which I'd choose. Nakia's post was saying he's just happy with the flags we've won and that our supporters aren't arrogant like the Hawks because that's what constant success breeds, well frankly I'd prefer the constant success of my footy team to being content with past glories.

I don't thnk any true supporter is content with past glories, but I think we can be classy whilst chasing / achieving success.

That would distinguish us from others.

Chappy was gone the moment he was suspended. Last straw. We needed him on the ground, and he'd already missed a lot of the season, not his own fault.He knew it, and was not happy with a conditional one year offer. I love him, but too proud and arrogant.
SJ- recurrent indiscretions, and getting caught lairising, gone, and he knew it.

Only one thing matters as far as I'm concerned and that's form, Chappy still had it at the end of 2013 and SJ had it throughout this year, and as I've also said on numerous occasions he did nothing differently this year to what he did in the previous thirteen, so that argument holds no water either.

Nah not really because you're a one string banjo.

Read thread. Can I blame this on Scott.

Yes then post. No. Leaves thread.

And here you are...
I didn't even want to bring up Scott if you look through the initial conversation I was having after some time I was asked what I think the club could do to be successful? What do you want me to do? Not express my opinion when asked such a question?

I didn't even want to bring up Scott if you look through the initial conversation I was having after some time I was asked what I think the club could do to be successful, and what do you want me to do? Not express my opinion when asked such a question?
I think everyone knows your stance on the coach.

I think more and more are sending there's an agenda.

As for SJ can only repeat what I've already said on numerous occasions already, absurd decision to let him go given his performances this year.

his performance collectively wasn't as good as what you may think though. He finished 15th in the B&F. His disposal was among the top five worst at the club for season 2015 (even though he's never been the best user of the footy). He was suspended last year for headbutting and he does it again to Allen Christensen. A time bomb waiting to go off is Stevie.
One suspects that as he begins to decline and lose more of his speed/timing, he is going to resort to giving away free kicks a lot more often which will seriously bring down the team he is now playing for.

his performance collectively wasn't as good as what you may think though. He finished 15th in the B&F. His disposal was among the top five worst at the club for season 2015 (even though he's never been the best user of the footy). He was suspended last year for headbutting and he does it again to Allen Christensen. A time bomb waiting to go off is Stevie.

Finished tenth didn't he, and should have been higher IMO.

Think you posted his DE for the past five years and it was almost exactly the same as this year, as for the time bomb waiting to go off a single one match suspension was probably his best in that regard for several years so don't see that as an issue.

One suspects that as he begins to decline and lose more of his speed/timing, he is going to resort to giving away free kicks a lot more often which will seriously bring down the team he is now playing for.

Making a bit of an assumption there Bob, conceded one free a match this year {his career average) so see no reason to think he was gonna go berserk next year and give away frees at will.

Only one thing matters as far as I'm concerned and that's form, Chappy still had it at the end of 2013 and SJ had it throughout this year, and as I've also said on numerous occasions he did nothing differently this year to what he did in the previous thirteen, so that argument holds no water either.
Not so re SJ. He was slower, getting caught increasingly, and many of us at games were sick of his antics and petulance at times. If we were more frustrated with him than usual, you don't think the coaches were as well, specially in view of the imminent Danger deal & trying to afford what we were about to buy?
That game v St. Kilda was so typical of SJ, but I really felt that night he was gone. As it has turned out, they might have agreed.

I don't thnk any true supporter is content with past glories, but I think we can be classy whilst chasing / achieving success.

That would distinguish us from others.
What most of us do is remember fondly our past successes. Understand these things never last. And get what transition means and that sheeting home the blame for past poor decisions to one person is simplistic and just plain wrong. Things Blighty will never get.

this is an issue with some of our supporters, not you in particular Nakia, but this whole ungrateful line that gets thrown around. In sports, you don't rest on your laurels. You keep on achieving the ultimate success. Just because we have witnessed three flags this decade, do we now accept it and just hope this team can make finals again or should we be ruthless like Hawthorn and accept that four premierships is great but that was yesterdays news?

I agree .

We still need to keep in mind that the club cant always contend for a premiership , time needs to be spent rebuilding our list . Our aim should be to win 2 premierships over the next 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right but if I had the choice of one or the other I know which I'd choose. Nakia's post was saying he's just happy with the flags we've won and that our supporters aren't arrogant like the Hawks because that's what constant success breeds, well frankly I'd prefer the constant success of my footy team to being content with past glories.

The only difference between Geelong and Hawthorn during the last 15 years is 2008 , they won the premiership we should of won.

Finished tenth didn't he, and should have been higher IMO.

View attachment 202769

Yes you are right. 10th place on total votes but 15th on average votes per game which in itself says he slipped a fair way from the player he was in recent seasons.

Think you posted his DE for the past five years and it was almost exactly the same as this year, as for the time bomb waiting to go off a single one match suspension was probably his best in that regard for several years so don't see that as an issue.

Yes, his disposal was about the same but this year it dropped to it's lowest in five seasons. My point was more the fact that when he declines, what weapons is he going to rely on as he never had the best disposal to begin with and it's not like he can do what Sam Mitchell can do and use his brilliant skills. He could sit in the forward pocket and hopefully boot 30 goals for the season but at another players expense? Cockatoo will be devoid of match time. Kersten will most certainly remain in the VFL, what becomes of Gregson and Lang if Johnson is occupying a spot in the forward line.
Just feels like it was the right time. Paul Chapman could have remained on the list for another year but look at how quickly he declined.

We still need to keep in mind that the club cant always contend for a premiership , time needs to be spent rebuilding our list . Our aim should be to win 2 premierships over the next 5 years.

I totally agree with you crazy. Having said that, we weren't rebuilding our list by continually playing blokes who were destined to retire at seasons end. Let's be brutally honest as well, their form was not all that crash hot either so it's not as though they had to play.
Our aim should be to try and win a couple of flags but we need to also have a back bone and leave young players in the team so they can build on their confidence. Guys who are tracking alright without starring like Horlin-Smith, Bews, Kersten, Gregson (2nd year blues likely to proceed but needs to remain), Smedts. Be great to see them receive 20 games next year. I don't think we're any chance of winning the flag anyways so in my view, we have nothing to lose by playing them ahead of the likes of Clark, Bartel or Enright etc. Guys who are merely on the way out due to age or injury.
You can still do well playing some inexperienced blokes in the team. The Western Bulldogs are doing ok at the moment, as too West Coast.

Not so re SJ. He was slower, getting caught increasingly, and many of us at games were sick of his antics and petulance at times. If we were more frustrated with him than usual, you don't think the coaches were as well, specially in view of the imminent Danger deal & trying to afford what we were about to buy?
That game v St. Kilda was so typical of SJ, but I really felt that night he was gone. As it has turned out, they might have agreed.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree Vdubs, his "antics" didn't bother me (hadn't for thirteen years so why now) and I'd happily take another twenty disposals and a goal and a half a game next year.

With a (hopefully) better ruck and midfield next year, and (again hopefully) a fit Menzel taking some of the heat off him he may have even produced better results, but we ain't ever gonna know now I guess.

View attachment 202769

Yes you are right. 10th place on total votes but 15th on average votes per game which in itself says he slipped a fair way from the player he was in recent seasons.

Yes, his disposal was about the same but this year it dropped to it's lowest in five seasons. My point was more the fact that when he declines, what weapons is he going to rely on as he never had the best disposal to begin with and it's not like he can do what Sam Mitchell can do and use his brilliant skills. He could sit in the forward pocket and hopefully boot 30 goals for the season but at another players expense? Cockatoo will be devoid of match time. Kersten will most certainly remain in the VFL, what becomes of Gregson and Lang if Johnson is occupying a spot in the forward line.
Just feels like it was the right time. Paul Chapman could have remained on the list for another year but look at how quickly he declined.

Guess my reply to Vdubs conveys my thoughts Bob.

On your last point, if Cockatoo or Kersten are good enough they would force their way in at his expense, especially if he declines as you seem to think he will, Lang and Gregson would be regulars even if SJ was still there IMO, as they were this year.

And the following year the AFL closed the loophole the Hawks exploited to win it.

Anyhow, history can't be changed. Eyes forward!
If your talking about the rushed behind I'm not convinced that on it's own cost us the game,but something else that's giving me the shits and I'm unsure if it was Collingwood or Hawthorn that started it is the blocking the man on the mark surely if it's good enough to afford the player with the ball 5 mtrs then it should equally be afforded the man guarding the mark.

On your last point, if Cockatoo or Kersten are good enough they would force their way in at his expense

I tend to disagree there. Not sure this coach has the balls to oust veterans. It is not like he ever had the balls to discipline Johnson after all his MRP indiscretions so what would change next year?

Can I ask you something, what did you think of Johnson when he walked behind Walker and demanded he handball him the footy so he could have a snap shot instead and when Walker declined, Johnson threw his arms up in the air cursing which was laughed at by commentators on national TV?
Do you think we may have seen a little more of that happen next year and if so, what kind of message would it send to the rest of the playing group?

Can't say I ever saw Chapman do those things on the field.

If your talking about the rushed behind I'm not convinced that on it's own cost us the game,but something else that's giving me the shits and I'm unsure if it was Collingwood or Hawthorn that started it is the blocking the man on the mark surely if it's good enough to afford the player with the ball 5 mtrs then it should equally be afforded the man guarding the mark.

Didn't cost us the game in it's own right, but a poor (sporting) tactic, and just as annoying as blocking the man.

I totally agree with you crazy. Having said that, we weren't rebuilding our list by continually playing blokes who were destined to retire at seasons end. Let's be brutally honest as well, their form was not all that crash hot either so it's not as though they had to play.
Our aim should be to try and win a couple of flags but we need to also have a back bone and leave young players in the team so they can build on their confidence. Guys who are tracking alright without starring like Horlin-Smith, Bews, Kersten, Gregson (2nd year blues likely to proceed but needs to remain), Smedts. Be great to see them receive 20 games next year. I don't think we're any chance of winning the flag anyways so in my view, we have nothing to lose by playing them ahead of the likes of Clark, Bartel or Enright etc. Guys who are merely on the way out due to age or injury.
You can still do well playing some inexperienced blokes in the team. The Western Bulldogs are doing ok at the moment, as too West Coast.

Agree with you here, though I'm a little more hopeful about Clark than you.....

Can I ask you something, what did you think of Johnson when he walked behind Walker and demanded he handball him the footy so he could have a snap shot instead and when Walker declined, Johnson threw his arms up in the air cursing which was laughed at by commentators on national TV?
Do you think we may have seen a little more of that happen next year and if so, what kind of message would it send to the rest of the playing group?

Can't say I ever saw Chapman do those things on the field.

Didn't like it, not a good look I'll agree but he's done it before so I don't think it's that big a deal personally, just that now he's getting near the end of his career these sort of things seem to get blown our of proportion.

As for him doing it more next year well obviously I have no idea, and as I said I don't see it as that big a deal anyway.

I tend to disagree there. Not sure this coach has the balls to oust veterans. It is not like he ever had the balls to discipline Johnson after all his MRP indiscretions so what would change next year?
I won't continue on with my thoughts on the coach, and in particularly your comment about indiscretions, only to say I agree. However, I also agree about the veterans, and I'll add to that by saying that if Bartel is cemented in our best 22 next year, I'm not sure we're good enough to finish as high as our recruiting spree suggests the club thinks we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back