Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder:

This isn't the Israel/Hamas thread.

Go to the Israel/Hamas thread if you want to talk about that.

Thanks.

Depends how you say it, but yes people are very sensitive towards people saying they don't want a whole group of people in Australia and trying to justify it by pointing to the worst muslim majority countries as far as human rights are concerned. I rarely see this said by the same people when it comes to Christianity and pointing to Uganda's human rights.

Muslims aren't a homogeneous group of people who all think the same, there is different branches and sects with very different worldviews. So it does feel racist or xenophobic if people are opposing a mosque being built just because they don't want their religion in Australia.
Christianity is another horrible religion - homophobic, misogynistic, violent.

Sometimes I wonder why it's socially acceptable to pick on certain religions and not others. I've never seen a non-believer stand up for Scientology.

Thanks but I'm asking someone else to use their own words not for you to copy paste an answer

That's the answer. What else do you need to know?

The Jews are a ethno-religious group.

That's the answer. What else do you need to know?

The Jews are a ethno-religious group.
again I wasn't talking to you nor am I interested in doing so

I've answered that question. If you don't know, there's plenty of resources on the net.
no you haven't

because then you'd have to discuss how religion is involved in antisemitism just like racism is involved in islamophobia

but that doesn't work for you

again I wasn't talking to you nor am I interested in doing so

Perhaps you should use the PM function if you wanted a private conversation.

You have the answer as to what anti-semitism is, who it referred to and in what context it was coined.

Christianity is another horrible religion - homophobic, misogynistic, violent.

Sometimes I wonder why it's socially acceptable to pick on certain religions and not others. I've never seen a non-believer stand up for Scientology.
I am not going to be upset if someone is criticising aspects of a religion, but if someone is opposing a mosque because they don't want Muslims in Australia like what the person was originally talking about, then I will think that is a pretty bigoted viewpoint. I don't think people who say that kind of thing should go to jail for saying it, but I can call it what I think it is, right?

And of course that same young Christian lady also contributed to the war effort against the Nazis by becoming the first female royal to become a full time member of the British armed services, serving in the Territorial Auxilary Service at the age of 18 as an ambulance and truck driver and mechanic.
Cool, what was she doing through zig heils then?

And of course that same young Christian lady also contributed to the war effort against the Nazis by becoming the first female royal to become a full time member of the British armed services, serving in the Territorial Auxilary Service at the age of 18 as an ambulance and truck driver and mechanic.

Who was the guy teaching her how to zig heil?

Thats not the right answer, the word antisemitism is kind of misleading. It doesn't mean people who have a hatred or oppose anyone who belongs to the cultural/linguistic group "Semites", it's actually just referring to Jews. Antisemitism can be a religious or racial prejudice against Jews.

If someone hates Arabs, for example, then they aren't an antisemite, they are are instead racist.
Being a seven / eight year old child.
In the year 1933/34.

Being a seven / eight year old child.
My kids never threw out zig heils or any other fascist gestures, nor have any of my friends kids or any kid I’ve come across in several sports I’ve coached in, hundreds of kids, many 7-8 year olds through to young teens.
Would have thought I’d have seen it given you seem to feel it’s just a common occurrence in that age bracket, just a gentle flick o the hand yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the year 1933/34.

Well yes.
My kids never threw out zig heils or any other fascist gestures, nor have any of my friends kids or any kid I’ve come across in several sports I’ve coached in, hundreds of kids, many 7-8 year olds through to young teens.

Yeah...they probably weren't alive in 1933-1934.
Would have thought I’d have seen it given you seem to feel it’s just a common occurrence in that age bracket,

Not after World War II it wasn't. When was World War II again? American children used the Bellamy salute up until World War II.
just a gentle flick o the hand yeah.
Yep. The Romans and French revolutionaries were quite fond of it (at least in neo-classical art) and so were American children in saluting the American flag.

Last edited:
You've gone full potatohead here again mate.

Fatima Payman crossed the floor because she is against genocide, and thinks Palestine should be recognised. This relates to her humanity, her ethics, not her religion.

Why do you think most of the media are currently having a brainfart about religion over this position?
Frydenburg releases a teary TV show about Judaism and Jewish people and how there is no genocide and Jewish people are under attack etc etc, yet somehow the politician getting accused of making it all about religion is non-European lady.

no you haven't

because then you'd have to discuss how religion is involved in antisemitism just like racism is involved in islamophobia

but that doesn't work for you
Valid criticism of religions is not only warranted, but imperitive whether that faith be Judaism or Islam. Islamophobia is a bullshit term used to shield Islam from valid critique. I couldn't give a shit if some ignorant person thinks my criticism of Islam is racist, but I'll ask for further justification than being labelled Islamophobic.

Let's see if you'll answer any questions of mine. Why shouldn't a rational person be afraid of Islam?

Plenty of Muslims live in Australia without any problems coming of it. Some even play AFL. Probably suggests there’s a bit more nuance to it.

Fear of Islam would be different to fear of individual people.
Fear of Islam would include fear of radical groups.

Plenty of Muslims live in Australia without any problems coming of it. Some even play AFL. Probably suggests there’s a bit more nuance to it.
I don't see how that's relevant, but feel free to explain further.

Theoretically, if 80% of Australians converted to Islam overnight, do you think it would be a positive step for the country - we'd have improved rights for atheists, homosexuals, transgender people.

Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back