Wikileaks founder and good North man Julian Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey giantroo apparently Andy Maher did the Assange is a North supporter thing on The Front Bar ... any chance of a clip.

Apparently in the first five minutes.

Last edited:
After they were already available anyway and with specific consideration that I quoted about twenty posts back.

No, again, you're getting your basic facts of the case wrong.

The encrypted file of the unredacted cables was only publicly available as of August 2011 when the Wikileaks website got DDOS'd so they uploaded a mirror of their full-site to Torrent files, which included the hidden folder that wasn't publicly available. (In my opinion, they did this by mistake. I don't think including the cables.csv encrypted file was intentional at all, but that's my subjective opinion.)

Until that point in time, the only people who had the encrypted file were the journalists that Wikileaks had specifically sent it to, including the Guardian journalists.

Those Guardian journalists published the password months prior in February 2011, because there was literally zero harm in doing so as the file was not publicly available. The "insurance file" you're referring to was not the same file and was not protected with the same password. Now, there's an argument to be made that publishing the encryption key wasn't smart, I'll grant you that. But the facts are that since the encrypted file was not publicly available, there was no harm in it as I said above.

These really are indisputable facts. Even The Warlord knows I'm right.

The encrypted file of the unredacted cables was only publicly available as of August 2011 when the Wikileaks website got DDOS'd so they uploaded a mirror of their full-site to Torrent files, which included the hidden folder that wasn't publicly available. (In my opinion, they did this by mistake. I don't think including the cables.csv encrypted file was intentional at all, but that's my subjective opinion.)

Until that point in time, the only people who had the encrypted file were the journalists that Wikileaks had specifically sent it to, including the Guardian journalists.

Those Guardian journalists published the password months prior in February 2011, because there was literally zero harm in doing so as the file was not publicly available. The "insurance file" you're referring to was not the same file and was not protected with the same password. Now, there's an argument to be made that publishing the encryption key wasn't smart, I'll grant you that. But the facts are that since the encrypted file was not publicly available, there was no harm in it as I said above.

Given the involvement of Luke Harding in what the Graun did, the only bit I'd dispute is that they published without malice.

You say "wasn't smart", given Harding is 100 per cent MI6 I think it was done precisely to poison the waters like this.

Given the involvement of Luke Harding in what the Graun did, the only bit I'd dispute is that they published without malice.

You say "wasn't smart", given Harding is 100 per cent MI6 I think it was done precisely to poison the waters like this.

You might be right, you might be wrong. I can't say with certainty as it's a subjective part of the story. I will say that WikiLeaks using an editorial-style phrase as the password really was a bit of a self-own in this respect just as much as any potential "malice" on the part of Harding. If they'd just used a random assortment of symbols and letters, it wouldn't be interesting/'news-worthy' and wouldn't have been published. Again though, that part of the story is subjective and if we disagree that's fine.

The facts of my post and the manner in which the unredacted cables were released aren't in dispute though.

You're ignoring the file that wikileaks made available on their site in June or July or 2010. It was encrypted and available to anyone but not able to be opened until February 2011.

You're ignoring the file that wikileaks made available on their site in June or July or 2010. It was encrypted and available to anyone but not able to be opened until February 2011.

No.

You're not paying attention. Please listen to what I am trying to tell you because you are continuously getting your facts wrong and I have been over this multiple times now.

The July 2010 "insurance file" was not the unredacted cables.csv file. To-date, the July 2010 insurance file has never been (publicly?) decrypted.

Which is why I said that it wasn't the insurance file in my previous post.

If you think I am lying about any of this, then either look it up yourself or ask The Warlord who was a working journalist at the time and knows that I am correct.

No.

You're not paying attention. Please listen to what I am trying to tell you because you are continuously getting your facts wrong and I have been over this multiple times now.

The July 2010 "insurance file" was not the unredacted cables.csv file. To-date, the July 2010 insurance file has never been (publicly?) decrypted.

If you think I am lying about any of this, then either look it up yourself or ask The Warlord who was a working journalist at the time and knows that I am correct.

Until an old colleague reminded me yesterday, I was so enamoured of my Assange is a North supporter gag, I forgot I'd helped set this up.

John Keane is a tremendous w***er. Fearful name dropper who I witnessed cop s brutal own from another ex colleague who lured him into a big noting competition she conclusively won by casually dropping she'd been friends with the Obamas back when Barack was just an ambitious Illinois State Senator lol

Tbh I can't recall every single detail of which files were and weren't encrypted etc when back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But even if you are correct on the finer points of which files were encrypted and which weren't Chadwiko it doesn't negate any of ferball wider points re the vile hypocrisy of US whining about "election interference" given what they do and have done around the world for decades.

Nor does it change the point that the worst election interference in the 2016 and 2020 votes didn't come from Russia, but internal US political machinations themselves.

The catch all Russian interference/disinformation ... New Caledonia ffs ... boogeyman is tired and worn out, given there was stuff all there in the first place.

FWIW the Russians DO engage in pretty serious interference in some democratic processes. The Brexit vote had waaaaaay more Russian dodginess than the US ever did.

But even if you are correct on the finer points of which files were encrypted and which weren't Chadwiko it doesn't negate any of ferball wider points re the vile hypocrisy of US whining about "election interference" given what they do and have done around the world for decades.

That's not what the discussion was about though.

The discussion was about these comments of ferball's;
So the idea that he just dumped it all into the public without any consideration seems to be a falsehood spread to smear Assange, Wikileaks and the whole process of holding power to account using journalism. Its a story that's been debunked and it shouldn't be left unchallenged in a thread about him.

It's not a falsehood. It hasn't been debunked (because it's factual). Challenging it to defend Assange just muddies the waters in a discussion about Assange and WikiLeaks.

In theory yes who cares where he got the factual information from, he’s a journo, his job is to inform the public, which is what he did.
In practice, it’s the one thing used to discredit wikileaks, the reality is you can follow the data, it doesn’t lie and it doesn’t point to a hack, it was a leak.
The rest is conjecture.
A select few are distracted by wikileaks being discredited. Like Parsons they spout the party line without using their brain.

It might have been. I never opened it. I thought the same unredacted files were released to media organisations with the onus being on them to redact where necessary ie the files released back in August or July 2010 were also unredacted, just encrypted. IIRC it was some sort of insurance policy to protect the organisation and the people involved. At the time we had no idea what was on them. I also don't understand why wikileaks would release an encrypted redacted version over a year before they released the unredacted version.

Essentially tho we've clearly shown that Wikileaks (and by extension Assange) never released those files willy nilly and without any consideration.

Altho attempts to portray him as a "bad faith actor" don't acknowledge that.

The point is the encrypted files were out there already (as "insurance") and Leigh/Harding released the key to that encryption.
Parsons is right. Reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. Ignorance is strength!

No.

lol, no matter how many times you say people are wrong, you are factually incorrect.
All wikileaks files were available to download that was their model.
As soon as he had a leak, they were encrypted put up on torrent with a password.
Last time I checked there was a list of about 500 things available to publicly download, if you knew where to look, including the above file.
the insurance file you talk about was posted on twitter, that is completely seperate,
and this was before Wikileaks had the money to mirror servers, when it was a couple of people with laptops.

Last edited:
lol, no matter how many times you say people are wrong, you are factually incorrect.
As soon as he had a leak, they were encrypted put up on torrent with a password.
Last time I checked there was a list of about 500 things available to publicly download, if you knew where to look, including the above file.
the insurance file you talk about was posted on twitter, that is completely seperate,
and this was before Wikileaks mirroring servers.

Can you please not interject on stuff you have no idea about? You're even more incorrect than ferball was - at least ferball was 'almost' correct; he was just getting his wires crossed on a couple of important details that changed the entire narrative. IE;

1719467152482.png

This is just laughably false.

Can you please not interject on stuff you have no idea about? You're even more incorrect than ferball was - at least ferball was 'almost' correct; he was just getting his wires crossed on a couple of important details that changed the entire narrative. IE;

View attachment 2031612
Nah you can't play the files weren't available to download until some German cosplayers found it when they were..
source ola bini

Remove this Banner Ad

Wikileaks founder and good North man Julian Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Back