Will any of the top 4 go out in straight sets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints would be an annoying opponent to come up against.

There isn't much difference between Carlton and West Coast either, so definitely a chance of someone being knocked out in straight sets.

Although sides like the Saints have had to use all their energy getting here, where the other sides have rested and looked after their players to be fresh ready to go. Would be tough to keep getting up after round 1 of finals.

Still, the difference between winning and losing the Cats Hawks game is massive, a week off and skipping a round, or playing the dangerous Saints. Huge game Friday.

I think there is a small chance Collingwood could lose to Essendon, i think they would get a scare from Carlton. West Coast would pants Essendon at Subi and while i think they would also win against Carlton in normal conditions i would think it would be by under 25 points.

Saints and Swans, especially if its a wet day/night would be a very good chance at sneaking a win over Geelong and Hawthorn, out of the top 4 they are the 2 teams that are at risk of going out in straight sets.

Most likely not. Even when teams get belted in the QF they usually come back and win the semi. Depending on how much Geelong and Hawthorn beat the crap out of each other the Saints/Swans winner might have a chance but I think like most other years it will be the top 4 in the prelims.
Are you suggesting the Hawks Cats game will be significantly more physically taxing affair than our game against Sydney? About the only difference in that regard may be the fact our game will be under the roof and they may be slogging it out in the wet.

After getting it wrong many times over the years the AFL have the finals series pretty right.

Why the hell should a team that finished 1st and lost first up host a PF against a team that finished 2nd and won?

The advantage of finishing top 4 is the double chance and second up home final regardless of whether you win or lose your QF. You only get to host a PF by winning a QF. If you want to host a QF and a PF then you need to finish top 2 and win your QF. Not rocket science.

So there you have it, IMO the Eagles are assured of winning their home final, so the loser of Cats V Hawks 'could' be looking at an early exit as the Saints look up and about.
We will need to play a fair bit better than we did on the weekend if we're to beat Sydney, let alone Hawthorn or Geelong. If we do anything can happen, though.

If Collingwood lose first up they will absolutely murder Carlton or Essendon.

Geelong/Hawthorn will have it tougher against Sydney/St Kilda who are sides chock full of players with finals experience, but should progress.

We're the odd one out in the top 4 in that we have the advantage of playing our second opponent in Perth. We also haven't played finals since 2007 and finished 16th last year so are the obvious favourites to go out in straight sets if one club does.

5th and 6th are strong this season. You never know.

West Coast vs Carlton
Hawthorn vs St.Kilda.

Both close games.
This. Essendons and Sydneys best is also very good, but more unlikely to be available for two weeks. So anything can happen...

PS Still hoping for Hawthorn and West Coast losing to Sydney and Essendon. But highly unlikely...

I think Pies would want to win against Eagles. I have this strange feeling that Essendon can beat the pies in a cut-throat final, except probably the grand final. Don't think Carlton can win against them though. If it is the Eagles, its the opposite. Don't think Essendon stand a chance whereas Carlton might beat the Eagles.

Hawthorn and Geelong... Watch out for both teams. The loser between them may go out in straight sets. Geelong wouldn't want to play St Kilda.

So the Eagles would get a home final despite finishing lower on the ladder than its likely opponents - Geelong or Hawthorn? I didn't realise that. I thought the ladder dictated who gets home ground advantage in any match up. The team higher on the ladder by default getting the home ground ad.
Correct.
The winner of the 1st qualifying final gets the next round off and hosts the preliminary.
Makes alot of sense.

I'd like to believe that st kilda can win the premiership, but I my head says the top 4 will play off in the pre-lims.

The Blues are well supported in the west and they play well over there. I reckon there's every chance the Eagles could go out in straight sets

I fancy the Hawks to take Geelong down and then the Saints to complete the job the following week. (That said, the Swans are a chance to beat the Saints, but if they do then the cats will hammer them on a big ground the following week).

On the other side, I cant see West Coast getting past the pies. I think the Blues will beat West Coast in week 2 (Dons just making up the numbers).

That makes the Prelims Pies v Saints (or Pies v Cats) and Hawks v Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very unlikely. The Top 4 this year is the strongest Top 4 I can remember, as all 4 teams have legitimite premiership hopes unlike previous years. There is a massive gap as well from the Top 4 down to 5th to 8th. Teams 5th to 8th are all pretty ordinary this year imo.

The two 'Qualifying' finals are just that, you Qualify for your seeding position for the rest of the finals based on the outcome of that game.

5-8 are set from week 1.

Another way of looking at it is that 4th beating 1st is considered to deserve a greater advantage over the loser of 2v3 under this finals system.

I dont see the logic of giving precedence to a single match as opposed to an entire season of results. Over the course of 24rds Geelong and Hawthorn have earned their rank and the thought that it would disappear because of one result doesn't seem fair to me. I would have thought that the rank you earn after the home and away stands for the duration of the finals. Just as I wouldn't expect the winner of 5th vs 8th to get home ground advantage over the Eagles if they lose to Collingwood.

Collingwood and Geelong will go out in straight sets and it'll be a WCE, Carlton GF.

You heard it here first. :thumbsu:

That is my thought too.
Saints are the best of the rest, but not good enough to trouble the top 4 sides.

Don't think it's that clear cut... St Kilda can worry Hawthorn and Geelong on their day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will any of the top 4 go out in straight sets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back