Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on a sec, Blake Acres was the "steal" of the 2022 trade period. You're now telling me he wouldn't get a game at Collingwood or Brisbane?
He was a 3rd round pick and like 300k a year and he has slotted into our best 22 nicely - not sure how that isn't a steal

He was a 3rd round pick and like 300k a year and he has slotted into our best 22 nicely - not sure how that isn't a steal
If he's gone from the "steal" of the draft, to not getting a game in other teams (you guys said it not me) then I'd suggest his value isn't quite what it was when he arrived.
Edit: Or just maybe his value has remained the same but the (largely Victorian) media swallowed the bath water on his ability to begin with.

If he's gone from the "steal" of the draft, to not getting a game in other teams (you guys said it not me) then I'd suggest his value isn't quite what it was when he arrived.
Edit: Or just maybe his value has remained the same but the (largely Victorian) media swallowed the bath water on his ability to begin with.
He can be a steal and not be a top player for every club in the AFL lol. He isn't even a top player for us but he plays an important role - a role we needed filling after 2022. And to get him for practically nothing makes him the very definition of a steal.

He'd get a game for Freo though.
Touche' He probably would, although the current thinking at Freo is to persist with Noddy O Driscoll and Aish on the wings. If the rumours are true, that he asked for $350 grand per year at Freo and was denied it, then the only conclusion you could reach is we didn't value him too highly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can be a steal and not be a top player for every club in the AFL lol. He isn't even a top player for us but he plays an important role - a role we needed filling after 2022. And to get him for practically nothing makes him the very definition of a steal.
Sorry mate, but getting in an average player, regardless of his cost in salary and draft picks, is not the definition of "steal". The question was not if Acres would be a top player at every club, the question was whether he's make the best 22 in other top clubs. According to you guys he wouldn't.

Touche' He probably would, although the current thinking at Freo is to persist with Noddy O Driscoll and Aish on the wings. If the rumours are true, that he asked for $350 grand per year at Freo and was denied it, then the only conclusion you could reach is we didn't value him too highly.

Below average wage, 3rd round pick, think he is still a steal for us and most sides

Below average wage, 3rd round pick, think he is still a steal for us and most sides
The average wage in the AFL is 406k. My guess would be that Acres would be close to that. Regardless, I think you can fall into the trap of overvaluing someone because they haven't cost you much in salary cap and drafts.
I said it at the time that it was remarkable that the media believed that a player that was let go by 2 clubs is considered the "steal" of the draft (regardless what it cost to bring him in) and I still believe it.

I think it's a bit of an over reaction for some sides in the 8.

Mckay, curnow, cripps, weitering and I'd say at a stretch Walsh with his running power would make Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane instantly better.
With the money it would cost to have any of those players, Curnow and perhaps Walsh would be of value.
Cripps is a contested bull. Take that away and he adds very little.
McKay isn't sure how to kick. Scary when you rely on him to kick goals.
Weitering is a good stopper, that adds little offensively.

Carlton's issue is they pay huge money for guys all over the ground, who's role could be filled by someone on lesser coin.

Well maybe not the Pies or Brissy, you're talking about 2 of the top 3 sides in the comp.

I'd suggest he probably still gets a game for quite a few other teams.

Yep that seems more likely, media, just lol. Kingy had us a lock for finals after round 4 this year, they never learn.

Was he? Again, unsure who you guys have been talking to.

Although it could technically be possible I guess, who else moved this trade period?
Acres called the "steal" of the trade period by three seperate media outlets. On another note, what really annoys me about that Mongrel Punt article is they have attempted to sound intelligent by using the word "ostensibly" but have still used it in the wrong context.

Last edited:
Acres called the "steal" of the trade period by three seperate media outlets. On another note, what really annoys me about that Mongrel Punt article is they have attempted to sound intelligent by using the word "ostensibly" but have still used it in the wrong context.
I seriously am struggling to understand why Freo people seem to care so much about ****ing Blake Acres?

As much as I hate to admit it, Carlton have finally got their s**t together as a football club after two decades of incompetence, with Brian Cook righting the ship as CEO, much like Gale and Peggy did for us after they came on board.

Cook's track record speaks for himself, you just have to look at West Coast and Geelong, the two previous clubs he was at, and see they're two of the modern powerhouses of football.

As far as Carlton's on field prospects are concerned, I believe they're primed to push for a spot in the top 4, and I have no doubt they'll win their 17th flag before Essendon do.

What's your opinion on Carlton's prospects for 2023?
Can you say that again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back