Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's gone from the "steal" of the draft, to not getting a game in other teams (you guys said it not me) then I'd suggest his value isn't quite what it was when he arrived.
Edit: Or just maybe his value has remained the same but the (largely Victorian) media swallowed the bath water on his ability to begin with.
He doesn’t get a game for Collingwood.

I reckon we're not concerned about Acres but more perplexed at the media and Carlton pundits talking him up like he's the second coming of Jesus.
I skimmed those articles you linked and they say he was a good get for what Carlton need and was cheap. The first one literally ends by saying "He’s not a megastar, he’s not McKay or Curnow but he’s exactly what they need."

They also mention Will Setterfield as a steal in one of the articles. Imagine how sad it would be if I was to keep going on whining about that.

The average wage in the AFL is 406k. My guess would be that Acres would be close to that. Regardless, I think you can fall into the trap of overvaluing someone because they haven't cost you much in salary cap and drafts.
I said it at the time that it was remarkable that the media believed that a player that was let go by 2 clubs is considered the "steal" of the draft (regardless what it cost to bring him in) and I still believe it.

Apparently on 350K. For us, it filled a need cheaply, salary and picks, while the likes of Hollands & Cottrell establish themselves

Other clubs would see it similar, while some are set for the position he plays

Acres called the "steal" of the trade period by three seperate media outlets. On another note, what really annoys me about that Mongrel Punt article is they have attempted to sound intelligent by using the word "ostensibly" but have still used it in the wrong context.
There ya go, media on the money as always lol

And one assistant coach to be fair, although thats hardly surprising. Up there with "the boys are flying" in terms of off-season quotes.

Can you say that again?
sddefault.jpg

There ya go, media on the money as always lol

And one assistant coach to be fair, although thats hardly surprising. Up there with "the boys are flying" in terms of off-season quotes.
I'd love to read one day just an assistant coach absolutely laying into a new recruit. "He's god-damn awful, can't kick, has no endurance. How much did we spend for this list clogger?"

I skimmed those articles you linked and they say he was a good get for what Carlton need and was cheap. The first one literally ends by saying "He’s not a megastar, he’s not McKay or Curnow but he’s exactly what they need."

They also mention Will Setterfield as a steal in one of the articles. Imagine how sad it would be if I was to keep going on whining about that.
To give credit where it is due, Acres has worked bloody hard. He has limitations but has definitely improved as a footballer. He regularly ran the most kms in a game for Freo, so has got himself bloody fit. I don have a problem with Acres but I do with Carlton. The problem is, I just don't like them.

I have been attempting to figure out why. In a lot of ways they have have limited success over the last 20 years like Freo and I should be supporting them - but I just can't, and here is the reason:

Carlton does not do the hard work to achieve success. Instead, they cut corners.

From the outside looking in, this seems to be in your clubs culture. It's still a boys club. It goes all the way back to John Elliot and the salary cap rort. Heck, even the Chris Judd Visy deal was dodgy as all hell. I don't know if it's because of impatient supporters (the kind who never want their club to bottom out) but you guys just think you can buy your way into success, and never actually do the hard work. Don't believe me? Why is it you have more traded in players in your best 22 than any other team? Even in the rock bottom Brendon Bolton days, you didn't hit the draft as much as you should have - and went into "top up" mode way too early.

It feels like arrogance to me. Feels like your club needs to roll their sleeves up and get real.

If I was a supporter I'd be demanding it.

To give credit where it is due, Acres has worked bloody hard. He has limitations but has definitely improved as a footballer. He regularly ran the most kms in a game for Freo, so has got himself bloody fit. I don have a problem with Acres but I do with Carlton. The problem is, I just don't like them.

I have been attempting to figure out why. In a lot of ways they have have limited success over the last 20 years like Freo and I should be supporting them - but I just can't, and here is the reason:

Carlton does not do the hard work to achieve success. Instead, they cut corners.

From the outside looking in, this seems to be in your clubs culture. It's still a boys club. It goes all the way back to John Elliot and the salary cap rort. Heck, even the Chris Judd Visy deal was dodgy as all hell. I don't know if it's because of impatient supporters (the kind who never want their club to bottom out) but you guys just think you can buy your way into success, and never actually do the hard work. Don't believe me? Why is it you have more traded in players in your best 22 than any other team? Even in the rock bottom Brendon Bolton days, you didn't hit the draft as much as you should have - and went into "top up" mode way too early.

It feels like arrogance to me. Feels like your club needs to roll their sleeves up and get real.

You think much more about Carlton then I do Freo. Does Fyfe still play for you guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very emotional.

Just say we recruited Adam Cerra and Jack Newnes pulled a goal out of his ass and save yourself some time.

Very emotional.

Just say we recruited Adam Cerra and Jack Newnes pulled a goal out of his ass and save yourself some time.
Cerra is the perfect fit for Carlton. Exquisitely skilled on both sides but lazy. When was the last time you saw him chase down a player from behind and get them holding the ball? Never did it at Freo. Dare say he's never done it at Carlton either.

Cerra is the perfect fit for Carlton. Exquisitely skilled on both sides but lazy. When was the last time you saw him chase down a player from behind and get them holding the ball? Never did it at Freo. Dare say he's never done it at Carlton either.
Cerra lazy!!! 😂 thanks for that I needed the laugh. Man works like a bloody dog for us. Become one of my favourite players in the team already. Would be amongst our top tacklers at the club as well - just a great young versatile player!

Does every tackle need to be chase down variety? Cerra's tackle numbers would have him sitting 5th at your club this year

What a strange post

This simply isn't true and it is a major re writing of history.

Elliott's salary cap rort had nothing to do with taking shortcuts. Neither did Judd.

And in the rock bottom Brendan Bolton days... it was absolutely about doing the hard work and building through the draft.

In 2015, we had a list that had both bottomed out and had almost zero youth under 23. We had Cripps (2013) and Docherty (2012) and the only other player still in the league today was Nick Holman (who took a 3 year detour to the VFL before coming back). So we committed hard to filling that bucket.

In 2015 we took FOUR first round picks, plus Jack Silvagni. To do so, we took on short term pain and traded out some pretty key players. To get one of those first round picks we took on some GWS older players, including... 21 year old Lachie Plowman, 21 year old Liam Sumner (both first round picks themselves), Andrew Phillips and Jed Lamb (fillers who could play a role). The only other veteran we picked up was Matthew Wright. Hardly 'taking shortcuts'.

In 2016, we took our full complement of draft picks. We also traded OUT Zach Touhy, and used a pick downgrade (from a late first to early second) to add Caleb Marchbank and Jarrod Pickett: both first round picks from the 2014 draft. Is that taking a shortcut? I don't think so. There was a clear plan to build around youth and both made sense to add. No real shortcuts there (unless you think we are better with pick 16 than pick 22, Marchbank and Pickett?)

In 2017, we traded OUT Bryce Gibbs, and received back two first round picks. We used two top 10 picks, and split the third pick to add Matthew Kennedy (a first-round pick from the 2015 draft) and Tom De Koning. We used the rest of our draft picks. We didn't add any real veterans (but did add Jarrod Garlett, another first round pick from 2014, with a late draft selection). Again, no shortcuts

In 2018, we drafted pick 1, then traded to add a second first round pick (Stocker). This was perhaps the first time you could say we tried to take a shortcut - we traded a second round pick for 23 year old Mitch McGovern, and also added Will Setterfield (a first round pick from 2016) in exchange for a third round pick.

So for four years, we had a strong and significant commitment to building the list through the draft. We directly used nine picks in the first round ourselves and added 6 other players who were first-round picks from the 2014-16 drafts as well. 15 total first-round picks in 5 drafts. The only possible short-cut you could suggest there was McGovern, but given he was meant to be a complement to the existing pieces (third tall alongside McKay/Curnow) and in the same age range... hardly

That's the Brendan Bolton era in totality. It's simply not true to say that even in those depths we were in top up mode.

So then 'top-up' mode begins, right? 2019, after Bolton is gone...

Well, no, not really. We did bring back Eddie Betts, and traded for 23 year-old Marc Pittonet (a late pick), I guess. However, in this draft (remember we had already traded back to get Stocker) we again split picks so we could have TWO first round picks again. Total now up to 11 first-round picks (of our own) in 5 years. We also added 24 year old Jack Martin in the pre-season draft.

So I guess you could say that 2019 was when we started 'top up' mode. Execpt, we were still hitting the draft pretty hard, and mostly adding guys under 23.

2020 was the point that we actually started topping up. 6 years into the rebuild, we added Williams (free agency) and Saad (trade). Is 5 years of heavy drafting not enough for your narrative?

By far the bigger issue was player development, particularly during the transition from Bolton to Teague and then the COVID bubble, where a huge number of young first-round picks totally lost their way (everyone from Dow, SPS, O'Brien, Kennedy, Setterfield etc got substantially worse then). The reason we lack depth today isn't the 17 first-round picks we added across 6 drafts in 5 years, but the complete loss of confidence many of those guys had during a once-in-a-hundred year unusual situation...

Cerra lazy!!! 😂 thanks for that I needed the laugh. Man works like a bloody dog for us. Become one of my favourite players in the team already. Would be amongst our top tacklers at the club as well - just a great young versatile player!
I watch some Carlton games (not all admittedly) and he's playing better this year but in my opinion he doesn't go at 100 percent. Didn't he finish 10th in your best and fairest last year?

I watch some Carlton games (not all admittedly) and he's playing better this year but in my opinion he doesn't go at 100 percent. Didn't he finish 10th in your best and fairest last year?
He had a couple of niggles during the season last year which meant we didn't see his best. But has had a great start to 2023 - would be top 3 in the BNF currently

This simply isn't true and it is a major re writing of history.

Elliott's salary cap rort had nothing to do with taking shortcuts. Neither did Judd.

And in the rock bottom Brendan Bolton days... it was absolutely about doing the hard work and building through the draft.

In 2015, we had a list that had both bottomed out and had almost zero youth under 23. We had Cripps (2013) and Docherty (2012) and the only other player still in the league today was Nick Holman (who took a 3 year detour to the VFL before coming back). So we committed hard to filling that bucket.

In 2015 we took FOUR first round picks, plus Jack Silvagni. To do so, we took on short term pain and traded out some pretty key players. To get one of those first round picks we took on some GWS older players, including... 21 year old Lachie Plowman, 21 year old Liam Sumner (both first round picks themselves), Andrew Phillips and Jed Lamb (fillers who could play a role). The only other veteran we picked up was Matthew Wright. Hardly 'taking shortcuts'.

In 2016, we took our full complement of draft picks. We also traded OUT Zach Touhy, and used a pick downgrade (from a late first to early second) to add Caleb Marchbank and Jarrod Pickett: both first round picks from the 2014 draft. Is that taking a shortcut? I don't think so. There was a clear plan to build around youth and both made sense to add. No real shortcuts there (unless you think we are better with pick 16 than pick 22, Marchbank and Pickett?)

In 2017, we traded OUT Bryce Gibbs, and received back two first round picks. We used two top 10 picks, and split the third pick to add Matthew Kennedy (a first-round pick from the 2015 draft) and Tom De Koning. We used the rest of our draft picks. We didn't add any real veterans (but did add Jarrod Garlett, another first round pick from 2014, with a late draft selection). Again, no shortcuts

In 2018, we drafted pick 1, then traded to add a second first round pick (Stocker). This was perhaps the first time you could say we tried to take a shortcut - we traded a second round pick for 23 year old Mitch McGovern, and also added Will Setterfield (a first round pick from 2016) in exchange for a third round pick.

So for four years, we had a strong and significant commitment to building the list through the draft. We directly used nine picks in the first round ourselves and added 6 other players who were first-round picks from the 2014-16 drafts as well. 15 total first-round picks in 5 drafts. The only possible short-cut you could suggest there was McGovern, but given he was meant to be a complement to the existing pieces (third tall alongside McKay/Curnow) and in the same age range... hardly

That's the Brendan Bolton era in totality. It's simply not true to say that even in those depths we were in top up mode.

So then 'top-up' mode begins, right? 2019, after Bolton is gone...

Well, no, not really. We did bring back Eddie Betts, and traded for 23 year-old Marc Pittonet (a late pick), I guess. However, in this draft (remember we had already traded back to get Stocker) we again split picks so we could have TWO first round picks again. Total now up to 11 first-round picks (of our own) in 5 years. We also added 24 year old Jack Martin in the pre-season draft.

So I guess you could say that 2019 was when we started 'top up' mode. Execpt, we were still hitting the draft pretty hard, and mostly adding guys under 23.

2020 was the point that we actually started topping up. 6 years into the rebuild, we added Williams (free agency) and Saad (trade). Is 5 years of heavy drafting not enough for your narrative?

By far the bigger issue was player development, particularly during the transition from Bolton to Teague and then the COVID bubble, where a huge number of young first-round picks totally lost their way (everyone from Dow, SPS, O'Brien, Kennedy, Setterfield etc got substantially worse then). The reason we lack depth today isn't the 17 first-round picks we added across 6 drafts in 5 years, but the complete loss of confidence many of those guys had during a once-in-a-hundred year unusual situation...
Ok well, it appears that you did hit the draft hard in the Bolton era and I have got that wrong. Sorry about that.
The John Elliot thing (although a long time ago) is taking a short cut - it's a salary cap rort so I don't see how you can look at it any other way. The Judd deal was Visy was also a salary cap rort (so much so that the AFL were livid and immediately changed their rules when they found out), so yes, that is taking a short cut too.
Look, let's not call it taking a short cut. The truth is though, for a team that has not made the finals in 10 years, you have far too many traded in players running around in your best 22.

Ok well, it appears that you did hit the draft hard in the Bolton era and I have got that wrong. Sorry about that.
The John Elliot thing (although a long time ago) is taking a short cut - it's a salary cap rort so I don't see how you can look at it any other way. The Judd deal was Visy was also a salary cap rort (so much so that the AFL were livid and immediately changed their rules when they found out), so yes, that is taking a short cut too.
Look, let's not call it taking a short cut. The truth is though, for a team that has not made the finals in 10 years, you have far too many traded in players running around in your best 22.

Traded in players? Pies would have 9 in their best 22

Does every tackle need to be chase down variety? Cerra's tackle numbers would have him sitting 5th at your club this year

What a strange post
Strange post hey?
Do you always look at stats Arrow to access a footballers ability? or every now and then do you actually go to the games and use the eye test?
Of course there are other tackles rather than the chase down variety but a chase down tackle is probably the hardest to achieve because it's all about intent. You've got to be fully committed to be able to perform it. In my opinion it's actually a fairly good barometer to test a player's commitment in the game.
I don't think Cerra ever performed a chase down tackle in his 4 years at the Dockers. That tells me a fair bit about his intent.

Traded in players? Pies would have 9 in their best 22
You reckon they've got 9 in their best 22. Who would they be? I count 5: Hill, Mitchell, McStay, Howe and Lipinski. Bearing in mind, McStay, Mitchell and Hill were brought in this year when they made a prelim last year (which would make sense).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back