Will Minson sent off and reported in VFL for pushing an umpire - UPDATE: Appeal Successful

Remove this Banner Ad

This just doesn't make sense. This further proves that the suits higher up in the AFL lack any common sense or forward thinking.

Do the AFL honestly not realise that by making umpires some sort of sacred entity that cannot be touched, looked at wrongly, or spoken to without getting on your knees is part of the reason why umpires are so ostracised and hated amongst the community. We should be promoting good rapport between players/supporters and umpires, instead of putting even more of a wedge in between them.

When Luke Hodge and Chris Yaran both get less weeks for outright trying to knock another player out you know something is wrong.

Last edited:

This just doesn't make sense. This further proves that the suits higher up in the AFL lack any common sense or forward thinking.

Do the AFL honestly not realise that by making umpires some some of sacred entity that cannot be touched, looked at wrongly, or spoken to without getting on your knees is part of the reason why umpires are so ostracised and hated amongst the community. We should be promoting good rapport between players/supporters and umpires, instead of putting even more of a wedge in between them.

When Luke Hodge and Chris Yaran both get less weeks for outright trying to knock another player out you know something is wrong.

hey "potentially cause injury" in Hodgeys case. what happened was in a different postcode to "trying to knock out" have a look at nick reiwoldt if you want proof.

(But I get your point)

I agree the decision is stupid, but I have to query why everyone like the AFLPA are up in arms now? In the Andrew Moore case, the umpire involved didn't report him and had to be told afterward that Moore had touched him. The umpire said his discussion with Moore was respectful unlike the Minson case. Everyone, even lethal Leigh Mathews said that was the right punishment. What is different here?

Interesting way to set a precedent. So all umpire contact will now incur a suspension?

It was good to see the AFL apply consistency after an umpire deviated into Todd Curley's path... Oh, hang on...

Both decisions were terrible. But when you add in the facts that Minson was sent off the field before half time and the upcoming Bye it amounts to basically a 6 week suspension, which is double the 3 weeks Moore got. Also the fact that this incident looked more like a slight tap on the back just to get the umpires attention as he was running past compared to the front on push that Moore gave to make a point (whether that point was intimidation or not, it looked that way from afar).

The AFLPA would be up in arms considering that both the Umpires and the VFLs recommendation of a fine was ignored, but also I think the AFLPA would be concerned with the fact that Minson being 30 years old, and having to serve a 6 week break at this time in his career could basically spell the end of his career. Just like any union would be concerned with an employee potentially forced to retire early.

With respect, a lot of these arguments you could apply to Moore. He is struggling to get back into the side as a 23 year old and would have been a like for like replacement when Ollie Wines went down (in the same week I think). If he doesn't become a regular soon, he won't be at Port much longer. The bye situation is unfortunate, but does not factor into a decision (should someone that gets 1 week have the bye counted so they miss nothing). It is 3 weeks vs 4 weeks for fundamentally the same thing. If you actually look very closely at the Moore incident the umpire ran into him and was walking backward when Moore pushed him which accentuated the contact. He hardly touched him, was respectful, and the contact was so minimal that the umpire had to be told about it after the match. The umpire went into bat for him as is the case with Minson. As others have pointed out, even though Minson hardly touched the umpire, he abused him and touched him twice. The umpire claimed to have been intimidated. As I said, both seem like shit decisions, but the difference in reaction reeks of Vic bias. Given the pressure being applied, it is likely Minson will either get off or get a substantially reduced penalty, which is rubbish. It happens pretty much every year, plenty of players get stitched up, and no one talks about it unless they're Victorian or Nat Fyfe/ Franklin. In the last 2 years Kane Cornes has had reports upheld for utterly embarrassing incidents, both of which involved Sam Mitchell/ Daniel Jackson taking a dive. Not one word was mentioned about it from the media. And we all know Cornes is just a diving flog. Right? When Goddard cleaned him up after a goal was kicked, he was just diving right?

With respect, a lot of these arguments you could apply to Moore. He is struggling to get back into the side as a 23 year old and would have been a like for like replacement when Ollie Wines went down (in the same week I think). If he doesn't become a regular soon, he won't be at Port much longer. The bye situation is unfortunate, but does not factor into a decision (should someone that gets 1 week have the bye counted so they miss nothing). It is 3 weeks vs 4 weeks for fundamentally the same thing. If you actually look very closely at the Moore incident the umpire ran into him and was walking backward when Moore pushed him which accentuated the contact. He hardly touched him, was respectful, and the contact was so minimal that the umpire had to be told about it after the match. The umpire went into bat for him as is the case with Minson. As others have pointed out, even though Minson hardly touched the umpire, he abused him and touched him twice. The umpire claimed to have been intimidated. As I said, both seem like shit decisions, but the difference in reaction reeks of Vic bias. Given the pressure being applied, it is likely Minson will either get off or get a substantially reduced penalty, which is rubbish. It happens pretty much every year, plenty of players get stitched up, and no one talks about it unless they're Victorian or Nat Fyfe/ Franklin. In the last 2 years Kane Cornes has had reports upheld for utterly embarrassing incidents, both of which involved Sam Mitchell/ Daniel Jackson taking a dive. Not one word was mentioned about it from the media. And we all know Cornes is just a diving flog. Right? When Goddard cleaned him up after a goal was kicked, he was just diving right?
You make good arguments. Wasted here though, this is Bigfooty

Mate, we don't seem to be on the end of the 'Vic Bias' too often. If we were, Will would not have got 4 weeks just quietly.

Also, I don't think he will get off.

Umpiring development and retention is an issue not discussed in this case when it really should be.

Minson verbally abused the umpire earlier on the match (for those playing at home, abusing or threatening an umpire is a reportable offence) and then Minson for whatever reason touched the umpire in a threatening manner according to the umpire involved. Only the umpire themselves could know if they were threateaned by that or not. That was the second reportable offence.

Sorry but Minson cops the 4 weeks for twice in one game being a moron towards the umpire.

I would suggest everyone reads the laws of the game and reads what offences are reportable offences.

Mate, we don't seem to be on the end of the 'Vic Bias' too often. If we were, Will would not have got 4 weeks just quietly.

Also, I don't think he will get off.

As a general rule - the Vic bias applies mostly to the stronger clubs, and on occasion, star players (aka Ablett/ Franklin). It is a long standing thing. I can remember back to when Byron Pickett got rubbed out for 6 weeks knocking out Mattner in a Showdown and we were told about a new era of sanctions. Other than Barry Hall king hitting Staker, no one has received a greater penalty since, not even when Hall tried to gouge out Matthew Primus' eyes. In this new paradigm, I remember the MRP ruling insufficient force in a Darren Milburn hit which broke Chad Cornes nose and that he should have expected high contact (when has that ever been the rule?). Throw in a few others such as the 2 Kane Cornes reports, or the fact that Darren Glass got a week for putting Wingard in hospital last year, and that tends to be suspicious. The MRP and tribunal is run by a bunch of mental incompetents and sometimes some Victorians cop it like Jack Ziebell a few years ago. However, on the whole, the 'iffy' decisions seem to almost always go in favour of top Victorian clubs (Aka Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon) and frequently go against the plebs. In the context of those decisions we always hear from the media when its someone Victorian. I didn't agree with the Jack Viney suspension, but he broke a guys Jaw in 2 places, got offered 2 weeks, and people were going apeshit about it. The year before, Kane Cornes would have got 2 weeks if it weren't for a 10 year unblemished, for this:

Meanwhile, seconds later Sam Mitchell is trotting around as if nothing has happened, and no one other than Port supporters said a thing about it. The Moore/ Minson incidents are almost identical (Minson's is potentially worse given the abuse), and the AFLPA only comes out in support of one of them. I still think you're wrong ... there is a huge spotlight on the VFL over this and I expect weeks to come off for Minson. That is rubbish quite frankly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think you're wrong ... there is a huge spotlight on the VFL over this and I expect weeks to come off for Minson. That is rubbish quite frankly.

I am glad Minson got off. I don't think he or Moore should have been suspended in the first place (think both should have received very large fines). But I have to take my hat off to you, sir - you called it.

He didn't get off, he got a severe reprimand and a large fine, he got what he should have got in the first place. What sort of peanuts honestly thought that was worth 4 weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Minson sent off and reported in VFL for pushing an umpire - UPDATE: Appeal Successful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back