Review Will the Real Fremantle Please Stand Up? Freo Belt Melbourne at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

So my take:

Got to melbourne and was blown away by the amount of freo supports out and about. All proud and wearing their kits. Had a chat with a few and most weren't expecting the world.

Got to the ground and an absolute flood of red and blue. It was a disappointing crowd. Less than 30k for a top 4 clash at the g in decent conditions on a Saturday night.

I was confused initially as I saw Logue coming down to the forward line, but realised the tactical change. He was relentless with May and then Lever and whoever that other backs name is.
Really should have kicked that goal but he did set up a few and worked hard.

Schultz is an absolute workhorse. And Lobb just kept presenting. It was a very entertaining game. Converted my girlfriend who had never seen an afl match live before. Now she wants to know when we can go again.

The crowd was very friendly. Had some good chats with dee's supporters on the walk back and there were no ferals or psychos out and about. A reallly great time in Melbourne, which is rare for me.

Rewatching the game, special mention to Clark, Lobb and Shultz in the first qtr. Shultz was in loads of stuff just couldn't nail a clear snap at goal. The second qaurter is all Max Gawn.

Not a passenger after half time, ultimate team effort.
Logue proved to his doubters he can play forward or even a stint in the midfield.
The Aish move onto Oliver was the game breaker.
Watching football is the greatest of emotional rides, one minute you hate the side, coaches and next minute you love them all plus the world in general.
A win like that is euphoria for days.

Mixed emotions for Switta no doubt (not really I think he’d be stoked with the win) but it was great that all the small forwards stepped up their workload & creativity to cover for his loss.

Freddy was the obvious one & perhaps he was given the opportunity to play a different role without Switta in & Logue up forward showed what his true role can look like.

Without 3 bigs up front he’s been asked to play a hybrid lead up role at times which kept him high & wide, but today he played the corridor far more often which made him look a different & far more dangerous player.

Id like them to persevere with Logue forward, the fact he has the mobility to play on small forwards, must mean he has the mobility to take grabs & contest on the ground. Additionally he has a great tank, so once given a licence to attack more instead of the defensive role today, could be a real tough match up.

I guess the problem is he’s a good matchup for the mobile forwards like Kernow & Cameron. Ah well, I’ll leave that up to the coaches.
I’ve been ranting about having a third mobile tall or medium tall forward to allow more grounded balls in the forward line.

Logue is an excellent choice for me but I didn’t come up with the idea.

Structurally our backline and forward line is more balanced.

He created the goal the essentially killed the game by running forward with the flight of a long inside kick 50 and destroying the contest allowing Shooter to crumb and kick the goal.
I was particularly interested to find out who had contested that ball. Loved the way Schulz started to set to contest then realised someone taller was coming in, so he just stayed down to kick the goal. Beautiful forward craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're playing finals ya'll - buckle up!

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Anyone know last nights attendance?

I think for a premiership team and a club that has what, 60k members, it was a pathetic showing on a beautiful Sat evening in Melb.

About 30k. Crowds are down in general and a think people are used to watching it on telly now.
Plus there is still covid killing dozens of people a day and a lot of people who go to the footy are old.

About 30k. Crowds are down in general and a think people are used to watching it on telly now.
Plus there is still covid killing dozens of people a day and a lot of people who go to the footy are old.
And it's Melbourne. They can't pull a crowd. Even wce had more at their game last night

And 430pm is a shit of a time to go as well, even on a Saturday.

The AFL should uppercut themselves for that schedule.

Thanks for kind words mate, Freo are the team I have the biggest soft spot for, greatest club song in the league by a ******* mile (I went as far to say last week that if we lost to Freo at least I get to rock out to an epic tune after the game...shame Fox Footy's audio was absolutely shithouse and I could barely hear it) and after WA got behind us in last years granny its nothing but love from me. If its not us, I most definitely hope its you guys.
You should hear our girl's rendition!

Just wow. I was lucky enough to be in our work corporate box to watch the game, and as the only Freo supporter there, with 5 mins to go in the 2nd I was thinking a thumping was on the cards. But that 3rd quarter. In the context of who, where and when, I'd say it was the best 1/4 I've ever seen Freo play. We just dominated them. Losing May was massive for them. Our smalls got into the game and made use of our midfield dominance. Just superlative football. Amazing to watch(can't wait to watch a replay) and so stoked to be there.

Last edited:
View attachment 1410875

Imagine if Lobb could do this every week.
If Lobb does that every week we’d be putting another zero on his contract, he was ****ing incredible exactly when we needed him
Nah. Tabs did hurt his back. You could see him struggling and trying to stretch his back on the far wing after a contest.
yeah and was stretching out he back/hip region with a physio late in the 3rd
He created the goal the essentially killed the game by running forward with the flight of a long inside kick 50 and destroying the contest allowing Shooter to crumb and kick the goal.
that was one of the best efforts of the day for mine. He ran so hard from about 50m away to impact that contest in exactly the right way.

I seriously think Logue could be an excellent forward, probably in the Darling mode (less the flip top head).
Can take a mark, has speed, can pressure, good kick. His couple of games in the forward line in his first season were promising I thought.
Given our abundance of KPD's and intercept defenders, I think he is the man.
I get plenty wrong but I did say this in 2020 ☺️

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Will the Real Fremantle Please Stand Up? Freo Belt Melbourne at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Back