Will Truck stick it up the critics (again)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMHO tomorrow will be a critical day in the autumn of the Mighty Truck's career.

I rate Truck the second best key defender in Crow's history (Ben Hart gets the nod from me for keeping us in the 1998 Grand Final). Over the last few years Truck has had a lot of critics (not me) for his lack of pace and agility. Nevertheless he has continued to beat the opposition's best tall forward week after week and acted as the general of our defence.

Truck has struggled this year. He looked a bit off the pace in the pre-season and carried this form into the first 3 games. Was it injury or father time? Sando later admitted that he shouldn't have picked him and subsequently "rested" him for 2 weeks in the SANFL. His form in the SANFL was much the same and whilst he beat his opponent last week (who hasn't beaten Witts when he is in the forward line?) there were some worrying signs. On 2 occasions he allowed the ball to get over the back of the contest and these resulted in goals. He has also made some unfamiliar turnovers this year.

I am very hopeful the old Truck returns tomorrow but if things don't improve then Sando will have "another" hard call to make.

What do other posters think?

I think Truck offers more than what pace can give. Stability, muscle and leadership. The young back line play stronger knowing the big truck has their back. It wasn't the only factor but look at our back line v melb without him. then look at our back line against the Pies with him. For example, against Melb Hartigan made a mistake and it just got worse as the night went on. Against the Pies he made a howler, A word from the Truck and he went back in and turned it around. It may not have been the only factor, but I bet if you ask the boys with or without, They'll all say with.

If all that Truck has become is a on the field coach then time is up. However given the right match ups he has a place in the side this year. I am a big fan, but age catches up with us all in the end. He seems to have lost some agility and wasn't quick to begin with and looks slower each game I've seen.
Sando will have to make a call sometime this year, but needs to keep getting games into Hartigan as he is firming as the logical replacement for a great club man. Hope he gets kept on as a backline development capacity when he does call it a day.

IMO the majority on here not only admire Truck but consider him as a club legend however there comes a point in all players career when a coach needs to considering using and managing a player differently to get that last quality drop out of the player

Last edited:
Well he had a slow start last year and ended up having a pretty decent season. I'd back him to come good if he can get through whatever niggles or injury problems he might be having.

Then again, if he really has lost all mobility and his knee is dodgy, there's be no shame in retiring. He's been a champion of the club. I would think the club will delay this for as long as possible though. Hartigan is still unmolded clay.

I keep thinking about Peter Carey - not known for his speed :)- in fact a huge lumbering giant - but a one-clubman who played well over 400 games - and they named a bar after him. Yes I know the modern game is vastly different - but pace still isn't everything - and the difference in our defence between the Melbourne and Collingwood games was stark - and it was General Truck marshalling the defence troops that made a huge difference IMO - the junior defence brigade is not ready to go it alone - Talia's skills are terrific, his leadership still needs enormous work.

Purely matchup based from here on for me. If the opposition has a big Godzilla or two deep then he's still got great value (see last week).

He shouldn't struggle with Casboult/Warnock.

Have posted my thoughts on the other truck thread.

Truck injured his knee preseason v gws but couldn't come off as third team was injured.

Sando admitted he made an error playing an injured truck round 1.

Since has still looked a little hampered in his movement but better than round 1.

His experience was invaluable against pies but still not 100% right.

A fit truck is still easily in our best 22 but we need to manage him during the year.

I'm in the camp that it comes down to fitness at present. But if the body isn't right.. please don't play him Sando.
Kinda feeling that might mean he only plays about 50% of the rest of the season then hangs them up.
If we play finals, I hope he is fit and can go out chasing a flag leaving it all out there.

What a player he's been though. Can hardly remember anyone kicking a bag on him.

I love the little 1% things he does, such as how he gives a little nudge with his hip to unbalance his opponent, or the way he perfectly disguises knocking the ball out of bounds on purpose.

He remains great body on body, but his disposal is a little suspect so he just has to play that very safe and has to guard against getting caught out allowing faster opponents goal side on the fast break.

What a player he's been though. Can hardly remember anyone kicking a bag on him.

I love the little 1% things he does, such as how he gives a little nudge with his hip to unbalance his opponent, or the way he perfectly disguises knocking the ball out of bounds on purpose.
Roughie has a couple of times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam Mooney used to beat him a bit too.

Bloody champion though. I expect we'll see him back to his best in the back half of the year and unlike many want to see him rumbling on in 2015 as well.
Yes I would too love him to go on in 2015

It appears the coaches want to give Hartigan an apprentiship with Rutten in the team as insurance (which I agree with). As a result Otten and Shaw are being kept out of the team and Rutten is often being asked to play the third tall defender role. Does any one think that some of the big Trucks mistakes this year have come because he is trying to play a more attacking role in the absence of Otten/Shaw?

Can't believe the people who want him dropped. Who the **** replaces him then? Thompson? Truck is easily best 22, he's had an interrupted pre-season but when he gets some match fitness under his belt he'll be fine. When the business end of the season comes he'll shine.

He remains great body on body, but his disposal is a little suspect so he just has to play that very safe and has to guard against getting caught out allowing faster opponents goal side on the fast break.

Not saying he's done, but... his great strength used to be body work. He would never go to ground. He was immovable. Once he got the prime position, the forward had no chance. Yes, even then he would be done for pace, but that relied on a great kick.
The difference I 've seen this year, and a bit last year, is he gets out-bodied, and goes to ground. Even a little 80kg guy tackling him brings him down. 4 years ago, he would've stood there and got his handball away. A few years ago if he was picking up a ground ball, no-one could bump him off it. Now, he gets bumps over. Now, he is getting out-bodied in marking contests. Once you lose your greatest weapon...time is running out.

I think that the speed of the game has passed him by to some degree but I also think that he'll see out his contract just in case the club is riddled with backline injuries and still needs him.
I doubt whether he will want to play on next year.
He's had a superb career.

We shouldn't be putting a legend of the club out on the ground unless he is able to compete

His body simply can't do what his heart and mind is telling it to do

After yesterday's match I am even more confused.

For the second week in a row Truck was played on the weakest of the opposition's three talls. If he is to play on the resting ruckmen then he has to provide rebound. His first half was O.K. but then he lifted in the third quarter and showed glimpses of the old Truck.

So Sando then subs him and moves JPod back into defence???????? WTF is all that about???????????????????

This week he could be dropped (for Reilly) or we could appoint him captain. Anything is possible in bizzaroland.

Truck you legend, will always be criticized for being old and slow but will get the job done with minimum fuss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Truck stick it up the critics (again)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back