Will you be booing Gary Ablett at Skilled Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: will you be booing garry ablett at skilled stadium?

I cannot believe some of you saying you will cheer for him. Cheer for the Gold Coast while you are at it, because that is what you are doing. He plays for the Gold Coast.

You want to cheer for Gazza the Geelong player? Get a time machine and go back, because he does not exist any more.

Tom Scully is GWS bound, and i think he is leaving Melbourne, however he isn't a superstar and can't be compared to Gary Ablett. Most big named players are re-signing, Pendlebury (Only 1 year though), Swan, Thomas will re-sign. I will be pissed if Gazza is the only big star to leave his club for one of the 2 new sides. But to answer your question, i won't be at the game, so i can only boo him from my living roon :p He was such a great player for us and he has done well this year for the Gold Coast but if i was gonig to the game i would boo him, let him know what he left behind, it doesn't mean you hate the guy, but just let him have it. Imagine it, a MASSIVE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! going around Skilled Stadium everytime he gets the ballm epic !!!! but, what will end up happening is the Geelong faithful will cheer him and bow to him, signs saying "We miss you Gazza". "Come Back Ablett29", "Your a Superstar Gaz" etc.

only at geelong would this happen, to be frank i reckon pendleburry swan or thomas wouldnt have the guts to walk out on collinwood like ablett did because of the clubs reaction, he would get spat on that many times in public and abused, their are three superpower clubs ahead of us in the history of the AFL, and every one of them would give their players hell if they ever had the guts to do it to their side

he walked out, he chose to play for another club for more dollars, like i said, if this was collingwood carlton or essendon he would be hearing about it for the rest of his life.

he didnt want to be a part of the club anymore, he wanted money up on the gold coast, i couldnt give a stuff what he did prior to that, what he chose to do walking out was a disgraceful act.
While I'm shat that he has gone, and we could use him so much as finals come about, the number of involvements he has in a game will mean "you" do a hell of a lot of booing, and that will be cringeworthy.

I cannot believe some of you saying you will cheer for him. Cheer for the Gold Coast while you are at it, because that is what you are doing. He plays for the Gold Coast.

You want to cheer for Gazza the Geelong player? Get a time machine and go back, because he does not exist any more.

if people want to talk crap saying "what he achieved for us" "we owe him forevr", it is a load of garbage this, he was a part of 22 others on the team, if the success and the club meant that much to him, he wouldnt have walked for a pay rise

so why should be show somebody respect and cheer him on, who made the decision that a payrise was more important than staying with the geelong football club? the extra "success" we achieved just makes the matter of walking out on us worse

If was there, I would boo him, not because of any resentment or disrespect but because it would be entertaining. It appeals to me at a guttural or tribal level.

I don’t hate Ablett or even blame him for leaving but since he has, it would be interesting and entertaining to be a part of a mob turning on a former hero. It is a bit theater, is all.

If I saw Ablett in the street, I would probably shake his hand and wish him well but I would still love to give it to him from the stands if I have paid 50 quid for a ticket.

No, Gary will be sad enough coming back to the ground where he spent the best part of his football life

I just hope we don't see the love fest the players were having with him on the Gold Coast. They wouldn't touch him on the field and showed no aggression towards him at all.

Even if they harbour no ill feelings, it was like they wanted him to collect 40 possessions and kick 5 goals.

Honestly, it seems like the greatest injustice in the world - he gets to leave for the big bucks, we get two low first round draft picks, the fans still cheer for him, his former team mates still play against him as if they're back at training and he continues on as one of the best players in the league.

The game at Metricon stadium was frustrating beyond belief. I wanted the players to come out and hit Ablett hard, I wanted us to pound the plastic club of his into the ground, decimate and humiliate them more than anyone had before. I wanted him to feel frustrated and helpless against the powerful Geelong outfit he had chosen to abandon.

Instead, they ran all over us in the first half and we let Ablett do as he pleased.

My only hope for the game at Skilled is that we don't let that happen again.

There were two teams I wanted Geelong to maul this year - Essendon and GC, but it feels like we've failed to do either.

There is no way i would boo him .The opening post mentioned that Thomas and Pendlebury wont leave Pies for GWS -Hes right-but how i see it -is that both those players were giving the vibes that they were very interested in the GWS massive offers-but clearly what has changed their minds -is they have seen how the suns have struggled big time to win games -and are so far off premiership calculations -and GWS would struggle even more

Dont kidd yourself if Suns this season say won 11 or 12 games -then some of those big names would be definitely taking the big GWS dollar deals

Its clear cut with Ablett with me -if he had taken say a massive offer to join say Carlton or Hawthorn i would be very dirty on him-but he hasnt -hes joined a fledgling interstate start up club -good luck to him

To the yobos who are going to boo Ablett -are you going to burn down The Doug Wade Granstand as well -Wadey left Geelong for a big cash offer from North Melbourne-do you hate him as well-honestly some supporters leave a bit to be desired.

I just hope we don't see the love fest the players were having with him on the Gold Coast. They wouldn't touch him on the field and showed no aggression towards him at all.

This. Fans can boo or cheer him (seriously though, who's gonna cheer for an opposition player on our patch?), couldn't care less. I just hope we dont see the lovey-dovey horse**** like last time. If he's there to be smashed, smash him.

There is no way i would boo him .The opening post mentioned that Thomas and Pendlebury wont leave Pies for GWS -Hes right-but how i see it -is that both those players were giving the vibes that they were very interested in the GWS massive offers-but clearly what has changed their minds -is they have seen how the suns have struggled big time to win games -and are so far off premiership calculations -and GWS would struggle even more

Dont kidd yourself if Suns this season say won 11 or 12 games -then some of those big names would be definitely taking the big GWS dollar deals

Its clear cut with Ablett with me -if he had taken say a massive offer to join say Carlton or Hawthorn i would be very dirty on him-but he hasnt -hes joined a fledgling interstate start up club -good luck to him

To the yobos who are going to boo Ablett -are you going to burn down The Doug Wade Granstand as well -Wadey left Geelong for a big cash offer from North Melbourne-do you hate him as well-honestly some supporters leave a bit to be desired.

rubbish that he left because of "potential success with gold coast" it was dollars and purely that.

you can sit and make every reason under the sun why others havent left or arent going to and he did, but at the end of the day its the extra cash vs how important your club is to you, and for thomas pendleburry franklin swan murphy and all the other stars who have been tempted by GWS and GC, for them their club loyalty was greater than their desire for extra pennies and abletts wasnt

to be frank i find it rather funny the more i think about it that people think "future success" had a thing to do about it, he was a part of a 2 time premiership team which had won 86 games from 100 and just lost a prelim, and walked out as a 26 year old to a team full of 17 and 18 year olds lol

to be frank i find it rather funny the more i think about it that people think "future success" had a thing to do about it, he was a part of a 2 time premiership team which had won 86 games from 100 and just lost a prelim, and walked out as a 26 year old to a team full of 17 and 18 year olds lol
Funny, BRAVE?? , everything to lose, yet he's done it, and $ is one issue, undoubtedly, yet still very out there. Hope this does not lead to another 50 pages of pro/con Ablett again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pathetic thread

if your mate from work left for a job paying twice as much and more, would you have a go at him? you're a sh1th0use friend in my book if yes

supporters should feel free to boo him, though that's fairly petty too imo, given that he was a big part of the two flags and 86/100 wins. but the players should only tackle/bump him fairly, and should feel free to show that they're still friends on the field otherwise

geelong, as a club, make a big deal of recruiting players who are quality off the field as well as on it. if they ever play the man over the ball i'm disappointed, let alone a champion footballer for this club. i've got no love for him anymore, but i'm sad when i see him, not angry.

he deserves our thanks. the afl deserve our enmity, for putting him in an impossible situation

of course he was going to leave. if you're offered a job paying double what you're on somewhere else, you take it. and if your friends turf you over it, you know they're sh1t friends, you don't think you've "betrayed" your employer. it's been the norm since barassi left melbourne.

he's just another opposition player. gettf over it.

Look, while here he won 2 flags, a Brownlow and was part of the club for most of his life.

He has the family history that few others will ever have with a club.

He chose to look after himself and his family over the club.

Fair enough.

I have spent plenty of time applauding his family's efforts at Geelong over the years.

I will not be applauding his efforts any more - nor will I be booing him. I respect his skill as a player and find it sad he left , but it is a business sadly.

However, I will be applauding very loudly for Jimmy, Chappy, Sel, Ned, Billy Smedts, Vardy, Bundy, Mitch, Menz, et al that are all here / still here because of the cash / picks his departure freed up.

And if we make it all the way at 5pm that special Sat in Sept, I will sure as hell smile even wider knowing we could do it without him....

And who cares what the puss at other clubs would do to him. We are Geelong and I for one feel we are better than that.....

Go Catters

I WISH I was going to have the option! I've been looking forward to this game since the day of his Gold Coast press conference!

Bought my tickets the day they went on sale, Row A! Bloody excited!

Then 6 weeks ago I get the invite to a wedding. I check the date to the Cats fixture, and SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same bloody afternoon as this game! Absolutely shattered, and I really wish I hated the people getting married, that way I could have just not gone!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have booed Gary. I also wouldn't have cheered him either. I just hope we flog em!

I won't be at the game and I'm not one to boo, but if people do, so be it.

Ablett's not the 1st and won't be the last big name player to trade clubs, but that manner in which he did it was gutless and pathetic. If he came clean and said he recieved an offer that was too good to refuse, fair enough, but the lies and complete lack of respect he showed towards the club after he left just highlighted what a selfish, air-headed moron he really is (he is an Ablett I suppose).

The "we owe him for what he did" is the biggest loud of horsesh*t I think I've ever heard. Yes he was a great player in our premiership sides but last time I checked he was one of 22. He was given a 5 year contract when he was an average player, he was paid, he was protected from the media, and given preferential treatment above and beyond what any other player at the club was given.

There was a reason he was never considered captaincy material at Geelong and we discovered Ablett's true character last year, that of a whinging user & abuser who puts himself above the club. At the end of the day the GFC are better of without him and people like Selwood, Scarlett, Bartel, Ling, Mooney are the leaders Geelong supporters should respect.

I WISH I was going to have the option! I've been looking forward to this game since the day of his Gold Coast press conference!

Bought my tickets the day they went on sale, Row A! Bloody excited!

Then 6 weeks ago I get the invite to a wedding. I check the date to the Cats fixture, and SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same bloody afternoon as this game! Absolutely shattered, and I really wish I hated the people getting married, that way I could have just not gone!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have booed Gary. I also wouldn't have cheered him either. I just hope we flog em!

That sux!

Just like any other opposition player, I will never cheer him on. Just like any other opposition player, Gary will be trying his hardest to disappoint cats fans. It would be simply perverse to cheer him.

If and when he comes back for some reunion, then yeah, give him his dues as the former Geelong player he is.

pathetic thread

if your mate from work left for a job paying twice as much and more, would you have a go at him? you're a sh1th0use friend in my book if yes

supporters should feel free to boo him, though that's fairly petty too imo, given that he was a big part of the two flags and 86/100 wins. but the players should only tackle/bump him fairly, and should feel free to show that they're still friends on the field otherwise

This.

If you had achieved pretty much everything possible in your current job, and were offered twice the money to do a very similar job at another firm, also involving a new and eciting challenge - would you take it? I ****ing would in a heartbeat.

There is as good as no loyalty from clubs to players now, so why do people expect different from players to clubs? Don't get me wrong, I love it when we see it, but I could never blame a player for taking up an offer lke that Gaz was offered.

I wouldn't boo him, but I won't be there, I certainly hope others don't.

The only thing I'd like is our players go a bit harder at him than they did the 1st time. For the 2 hours they're on the ground he's not their mate, he's the opposition

It is tradition to boo a player that has left your club for another, especially by choice and especially for money.

It's not malicious. It's not harboured out of hatred. It doesn't mean I can't understand his decision to go. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate his contribution while in the hoops.

It's purely and simply a harmless gesture to remind the player that we don't like the fact that he chose another over ours.

This.

If you had achieved pretty much everything possible in your current job, and were offered twice the money to do a very similar job at another firm, also involving a new and eciting challenge - would you take it? I ****ing would in a heartbeat.

There is as good as no loyalty from clubs to players now, so why do people expect different from players to clubs? Don't get me wrong, I love it when we see it, but I could never blame a player for taking up an offer lke that Gaz was offered.

Yeah, but if someone barracked all his life for my workplace, bought workplace memorabilia from me just before I left, spent money watching me working there, hated the place I went to, then I reckon he would be entitled to boo me if I showed up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back