Will you download the Covid19 app?

• Yes

Votes: 45 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 75 62.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking to someone who claims to be in the know through their vocation, the government already has access to the information we think we're protecting by not downloading this app.

Is there any truth to that?

Regardless, I'm still not downloading the app. I'm curious though.
To my understanding, yes and no.

They can access location-based data, through various means, e.g. mobile carrier data. What they don't have direct access to is proximity, i.e. person A was within a very close proximity of person B, at least not to the extent of bluetooth signal proximity. But that's not to say they couldn't get that data by cross-matching location-based data of two people.

This app definitely does make it easier.

What I'm failing to understand is if this app picks up a known positive case near you. Why is this person not in isolation and if they're blatantly breaking the law by not being in isolation, are they that thick they walk around with blue tooth on telling everyone they are positive? Doesn't make sense.

What I'm failing to understand is if this app picks up a known positive case near you. Why is this person not in isolation and if they're blatantly breaking the law by not being in isolation, are they that thick they walk around with blue tooth on telling everyone they are positive? Doesn't make sense.
Maybe they are asymptomatic when they walk by you but a few days later they get symptoms, get checked and confirmed as positive. They then can see who went past them in preceding days

Maybe they are asymptomatic when they walk by you but a few days later they get symptoms, get checked and confirmed as positive. They then can see who went past them in preceding days

Yeah of course. I was failing to look into the future. Dummy :rolleyes:

Yeah of course. I was failing to look into the future. Dummy :rolleyes:
Look into future more when the government will probably force people that want to register for social services like the dole to have a smart phone that can download an app and keep tabs on them in many more ways. Slippery slope....

I thought the idea was that if you end up having a confirmed case then it will notify those who were in proximity to you recently, while you may have been asymptomatic.

Regardless, no chance I'm downloading the app. I don't trust the government to release a secure mobile application, even if they try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless, no chance I'm downloading the app. I don't trust the government to release a secure mobile application, even if they try.
It's the same with lots of government data collection:

"This service is not intended to be used for... "

"This service is not intended to be hacked... "

Only intentions, not promises.

Remember how good they were with the last census...lol
Total farce
People blindly trusting is amusing to some extent.
Gets less amusing if people trust like average everyday German people did in early 1930's.

Last edited:
Scotty going hard with the you don't have to download the app, it's not mandatory, we will just keep the lockdowns in place if you don't do it.
Anyone else experiencing Stockholm syndrome at the moment?

*Please kids, don't act out the theme in the below.

Colbeck and Morrison both indicated the COVIDSafe app would be crucial to the resumption of community sport.
More than 3.5 million Australians have downloaded and registered for the app.
However, Morrison said that number needs to be much higher this time next week if National Cabinet is to move to ease restrictions.
“The degree to which we can confidently ease restrictions really does depend on our coverage of the COVIDSafe app,” he said.
Colbeck started his own slogan in his encouragement to download the app.
“If you want to get out and play, download the app today.”

I think the idea is they would be a blip on the public radar that would get scooped up by the authorities quick smart. What the app won't catch is those not already LOGGED as previous positives. What it won't catch are those in the early stages who are definitely contagious but not showing any symptoms themselves.

I see it as 'kind of' useful, but it's only ever gonna be effective in monitoring known cases that have already been triaged in the medical system.

I think the idea is they would be a blip on the public radar that would get scooped up by the authorities quick smart. What the app won't catch is those not already LOGGED as previous positives. What it won't catch are those in the early stages who are definitely contagious but not showing any symptoms themselves.

I see it as 'kind of' useful, but it's only ever gonna be effective in monitoring known cases that have already been triaged in the medical system.
all i know is that the people recruited to help with contact tracing when someone gets a positive are mostly ex jetstar staff who have been trained for an hour or so on what to do. if these guys do their job like they do for jetstar, well, thats shit. if this app helps overcome their shitness, im all for it

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back