Williamstown vs Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, because the year is 1926 and they don't have a replacement ball.

If it gets kicked out of the stadium, players either pack up and go home or they play with a substitute pumpkin.
Fair go champ, was just having some light hearted fun trying to infer (obviously not successfully) that it is like country reserves footy where when it is close you kick it as far as you can to waste time.

Fair go champ, was just having some light hearted fun trying to infer (obviously not successfully) that it is like country reserves footy where when it is close you kick it as far as you can to waste time.

Oh,were you just kidding around - sorry!

I was being deadly serious about the pumpkin.

I thought Roughead was BOG and Howard, Tutt, Wallis and Schofield certainly showed plenty.

Djerrkurra, Veszpremi, Panos, Barlow and Mulligan did enough.

Hill should dominate at this level but just doesn't.

Hooper: well I just don't see him making it as an AFL player.

Johanisson wasn't sighted.

I wouldn't touch Jolley as a draftee and don't agree he was BOG. Roughead was much more influential and worked very hard to find space and run forward. Roughie is a class above the other big guys at this level and should have a great AFL career.

With 15 Bulldog players in that team tonight they should have been able to walk all over Claremont. Really only Roughead,Howard,and Wallis looked classy enough for elevation to the senior team. Vespremi can do most things but seems to lack something.

Very impressed by Howard, great poise and excellent foot skills all day, needs to play with the dogs and preferably on a wing delivering the ball into 50. Should play 15 + games next year.

Roughead was everywhere and is clearly above this level, should aim to play every game with the Dogs next year. Great skills for a big man and a good overhead mark. Lovely onehand pickup which went unnoticed in the 3rd term.

Vez has been chasing and tackling with a lot more effort than earlier in the season, clearly been told it's what is holding him back. Has looked classy with the ball and would like to see him play the last few games with the dogs to encourage him to come fit and firing next year.

Wallis has been good in and under and would have played a lot more games if the Dogs didn't already have a few of that type. Will be a great Cross like midfielder (with a better kick) for the next 12 years.

DJ got better as the game went on but was pushed off it a few times too easily and made a couple mistakes early on. Didn't have a great game but wasn't awful either.

I thought Roughead was BOG and Howard, Tutt, Wallis and Schofield certainly showed plenty.

Djerrkurra, Veszpremi, Panos, Barlow and Mulligan did enough.
You two summed the game up pretty well. Although a bit harsh on Hill - he wasn't great but was serviceable in defence.

Tutt deserves a run for the Doggies IMO, same for Vez. Djerrkura was ok - certainly haven't written him off yet.

Looking forward to seeing what Howard & Roughy can do when they are getting regular senior games next year :)

People are a bit harsh on Hooper, i dont really rate him but he presented all day and was fairly consistant, quite a reasonable game. As for Hill, while he was serviceable, he, once again, just seemed to look totally disinterested most of the day.

Roughhead- very good, much more agile than i had seen before.
Mulligan- just seems to be a thought behind the contest, makes him look a bit slow.
Reid- Love the kid, great heart, but looks to be bereft of confidence in his body and skills.

I thought Josh Hill was ok, he had the kick out responsibility, and at one stage took a screamer which was ignored by the pro Claremont commentators.

People are a bit harsh on Hooper, i dont really rate him but he presented all day and was fairly consistant, quite a reasonable game. As for Hill, while he was serviceable, he, once again, just seemed to look totally disinterested most of the day.

Roughhead- very good, much more agile than i had seen before.
Mulligan- just seems to be a thought behind the contest, makes him look a bit slow.
Reid- Love the kid, great heart, but looks to be bereft of confidence in his body and skills.

I didn't see much of the game but I saw Josh do a couple of nice things towards the end. I don't understand why Josh is constantly being described as "disinterested". Doesn't he want to be there? Doesn't he want to play footy, at any level? That's what "disinterested" implies to me and I don't believe it. We should assume that Josh does want to play footy, and that he wants to play good footy and that the "disinterest" is actually something else, possibly lack of confidence, or trying to play how others instruct him, not his instinctive game.

Curley, i tend to agree with you, but as others have said, and seeing for myself in the past just what Josh is capable of, he should have been a class above most of them tonight. But he wasn't. Again. Once again he looked to be going through the motions, not playing with any intensity, not a bloke playing for a spot on the list. Who knows, maybe he has a deal with GWS. Maybe your reasoning is correct. I just dont know

I dont know what the answer is with Josh, but im sure everyone would be happy if he could/would just play to his previously displayed potential. His first season he looked like he could be something special.

Roughead and Howard should play the year out in seniors. A case could be made for Schofield and Barlow doing the same. Barlow looks a bit goofey at times but seems to find the ball quite often and his good foot skills. May be one of those players who'll grow in confidence if he feels he belongs. I'd run him in seniors for the rest of the year to find out.

Roughead and Howard should play the year out in seniors. A case could be made for Schofield and Barlow doing the same. Barlow looks a bit goofey at times but seems to find the ball quite often and his good foot skills. May be one of those players who'll grow in confidence if he feels he belongs. I'd run him in seniors for the rest of the year to find out.

I was at the game today and tend to agree with most comments here. I also thought the scoreboard flattered Williamstown, with Claremont looking much more dangerous when going forward. We seemed to get fortunate with a run and stun style, rather than having any forward structure. This might be hindering the development of some of our kids if this is what the setup is like every week, but then again I never get to see Willi games.

I don't often get to see the young players play in the flesh, so here's a brief summary of my thoughts on some of the Dogs players:

Vez just didn't impress at all. I had high hopes with him when he played in the preseason matches and really didn't see anything to indicate he could do any damage at AFL level.

Barlow, put simply, looks to be soft and although he presents a good target, just doesn't win enough 50/50 contests and today appeared to be no exception.

Djerk-off had a big influence on the game with his pace and appeared really desperate to break the lines. What he lacks in ability, he appeared to do what he could with ambition.

Wallis seemed to get a lot of good handballs to set up space and looks to be a big body in comparison to most of the other boys on the park. He'll be a really good AFL player soon enough when he learns to use his big frame to hurt some opponents.

Howard looked to have really impressive foot skills and was able to find space on many occassions, which I'm sure would have gone unnoticed when watching on tv. I was worried that we might have picked up a bit of a dud, but I think he could turn into the Gilbee/Harbrow half back running quarterback type as they say.

Mulligan I didn't really notice and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. He did get some timely spoils when he looked to be a bit out of position, but didn't do anything spectacular. Serviceable but to me seems to be on the Doggies list for depth rather than to be given a permanent spot.

Jolley looked to be the clear best on ground from where I was sitting. Could do worse than to pick this bloke up although he didn't appear to have an opponent.

Roughead looked brilliant and looked to dominate in the ruck even though I believe the hitouts were fairly even. This bloke should be getting a permanent game down at the Dogs. Looked agile and a class above most players.

Schofield was the nuggety annoying defender who was constantly running into the opposition off the ball. Clearly frustrated the opposition players and I enjoyed every second of it. He tried to use his pace when he could to break the lines and set up forward thrusts, albeit without too much success today. Sometimes it worked, other occasions it left the team vulnerable to costly turnovers. I love this bloke's attack on the man and the ball, and I wasn't disappointed to see this live, rather than on the tv. Looked a little bit light framed, but he looks focussed and might be just what the Dogs need in a few years with a bit more muscle. Every team needs a mad dog.

Hooper just kept running and I was surprised at how few touches he had. He looked dangerous. Not sure if its because his opponent was terrible. He looked like an AFL player out there, knowing where to run and took some good marks.

Hill was ok and didn't look soft like I have often thought he has. He took a great mark which only Willi fans seemed to appreciate. He seemed to go missing in patches, which was either the result of his opponent not getting near the ball or not running hard enough to have an influence. Provided a target on occasion and I just think this kid has so much potential. I can see where the comments of "he doesn't look interested" come from, but I just think he's thinking too much on what he should be doing rather than just doing what he thinks is right. I remember a couple of really good kicks from him and would love to see this guy have some success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooper just kept running and I was surprised at how few touches he had. He looked dangerous. Not sure if its because his opponent was terrible. He looked like an AFL player out there, knowing where to run and took some good marks.

My thoughts as well. I don't know what kind of stats he had (assuming not many), but he looked consistently dangerous and pretty good live. He's got decent skills, but tbf I'm not sure he'll ever get to play the type of game he did today at AFL level.

With 15 Bulldog players in that team tonight they should have been able to walk all over Claremont. Really only Roughead,Howard,and Wallis looked classy enough for elevation to the senior team. Vespremi can do most things but seems to lack something.

Well they won didn't they? What more do you want or expect it's hard to know how you can come to that conclusion when Port Melbourne have no AFL players and they have yet to lose a game. Some of the 15 players are very early on in their careers and are not all hardened AFL players. And the game was played in WA which is a massive advantage.

I was at the game today and tend to agree with most comments here. I also thought the scoreboard flattered Williamstown, with Claremont looking much more dangerous when going forward. We seemed to get fortunate with a run and stun style, rather than having any forward structure. This might be hindering the development of some of our kids if this is what the setup is like every week, but then again I never get to see Willi games.

Williamstown do play a fast running game and making the most of opportunities is good footy. But they didn't have their all the talls they could have this week so they probably played even more like that. No Cordy, Hahn, Grant or Minson for example.

Here's my take (and I'm not that crash hot on specific afl type footy)

Howard: Gilbee type footy but has a little more heart

Well I think Howard is a very promising young player. But when he's played 200 AFL game to the level Gilbee has then maybe you can start to compare who's got more heart. But right now that's very unfair on a bloke who's been a fantastic servant of this footy club.

I saw the first 1/4 and I thought Tutt once again showed a lot. I reckon he's got to be very close to getting a game now.

yep
just watched the replay again and Tutt, Howard, Schofield (our future backline with run and carry) and Hooper were really good.

DJ is a weird one. Some stints he plays really well, uses pace and attacks it and then a few seconds later gets caught for being to slow or turns it over. The gap between his good and awful is huge ATM, needs to build his tank and lose some weight.

Peter German spoke to Harf-time on SEN about Williamstown, below is quick wrap up;

• The Foxtel Cup is a good initiative to gauge where you club is at, against the top interstate sides that we don’t get to see.
• Low scoring games probably due to shorter quarters, as most scores are in red time. The players were just getting wound up when each quarter finished.
• Was happy that his boys travelled to WA (esp. the young Bulldogs) so they get use to flying and preparing for games, pre and post game.
• Good for Perth boys like Johannsen to play again at Subi.
• Didn’t want to play all their top players in this cup. Wanted to rest some older guys Hahn, Minson etc….. for VFL Port Melb game this week and get games into some kids.
• Willi played away at Port last time in 2 inches of rain and they beat us by 10 goals, will be a real test because Port are undefeated, first vs second. Skipper playing well for Port.

Yep saw the game also and have been wondering what more does the kid have to do before he gets a game? IMO he was impressive.
Based on the fact that even Hooper got a game at the end of last year (even in a final!), I reckon everyone including Tutt is going to get a run in the coming weeks

I am missing what others are seeing in Barlow. He looks awkward and seems to lack intensity imo. What i saw in the game was a guy who never makes something out of nothing. Its like he plays with this imaginary rectangle about half a metre in front of his chest, if the ball comes to him through it he will take possession but if the ball is slightly either side or higher or lower he is no chance - just fumbles and the opportunity is lost. I hope i am proven wrong but i will not be surprised if he is not with WB in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Williamstown vs Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back