Would JJ Be "Dyn-o-mite!" at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he's worth the coin he wants - also he might be over compensation for a part of the ground that seems to be in better hands compared to the rest.

2017 Outs: Dawson and Ibbotson
2017 Ins: Logue, Nyhuis and Ryan

2018 Outs: Johnson
2018 Returns: Alex Pearce

Spurr has 3 seasons left in him. We have Weller and Logue who are still developing and could be what JJ currently is - we have Hamling who is one of our best players tracking brilliantly, then Hughes (Surprise Packet) and Ryan. Nyhuis (Carving seconds recently) still to debut. Collins (Needs a proper run in seniors), Sheridan(?) and Sutcliffe as depth with players like Mundy and Blakely who can swing back now. Also Cox might go back to CHB one day if needed to.

So that's 10 or so players who I'm confident in being in our backline over the next few years compared to the 1 or 2 forwards I'm confident in. :drunk:

I don't want to overstock the more promising side of the field when we need to target the right players this off-season.

Would rather target someone like Nick Haynes in a year if we're going to throw away $ for a defender.
Yeah but none of the players you mentioned are really running rebounding defenders. Maybe the closest we've got to that is Steve or Brad Hill.....even they are not really like JJ.

JJ was extremely lucky in my opinion (and I think many others) to get the Normy. Half his kicks that day went to nobody. In order, Boyd, Kennedy, Bont all played better on the day I thought. Probably others I can't remember. He gets pumped up because 'Norm Smith Medalist" but has been ordinary at best this year.

$800k is top 5 player money, and he wouldn't be that here.

Half the board has turned on McCarthy already. Every time Sutcliffe plays we tear him a new one on here after kicking the ball to the opposition. I guarantee that if JJ comes there will be outcry before he plays 10 games for butchering the ball.

He would have been fine in the 2013 gameplan but we are now a corridor team. Our back half has to hit targets or the opposition kicks goals.

PASS.

I'm not really fussed about salary issues, but I am conscious of trade costs. Our first round comes into the equation, and I struggle too see how that works in our favour. JJ doesn't address our biggest need, so I don't want to use our biggest chip on him. That needs to be there for Brander or Fogarty. The only way that pick gets used in a trade is if it makes an impact on our weakest area.

There have been suggestions of English or McGovern + JJ. Pie in the sky style speculation, but at least they are trying to address our key weaknesses.

If the club can find a way, I want him. But needs some miracle workers to get it to happen in our favour.

Started a good discussion GilG. What's the story with all that Mets pitching?

Mate, don't let the Mets semi-dismal record fool you. It has been an annus horribilis. Very eerie parallels have always existed between the Mets fortune's and Freo's and this year is no different — massive injuries taking a toll. Best scenario for Mets? Trade any valuable non-pitchers by July 31 trade deadline to contending clubs, for prospects to rebuild with, let a couple of non-pitching prospects within the club play and hope all injured pitchers recover in time for 2018 Spring Training.

So, a combination of bad luck and some seriously questionable management of some great arms (Syndergaard - so good to watch!). As a Nationals fan, we don't mention bullpens!

LOL! Was at a Nats' game in DC last week and a couple of minutes after I told my wife the Nats' bullpen is their biggest issue, sure enough, it imploded and gave up 3 runs in a 5-4 loss to the Cubs!

People said the same stuff about Brad Hill. Now we have him we appreciate the work rate and skill. JJ took a few kick outs on the weekend against the Eagles and hit free players on the tit 60m out. I'd pay a first rounder to avoid watching Johnson lob it to 55m out.

People said the same things about Brad Hill except, of course, the "shit haircut" part. :D

What's up, Freo peeps?
Been a LONG time since I last posted, I know, and I hope ALL of you are traveling well.
What a rollercoaster season, huh?
Start 0-2 and think all hope is dead...then go 6-2 and with Collingwood and Brisbane next, think we'll go into the bye 8-4 and have a good shot at finals...then...
Anyway, here's a question for all of you, so please weigh in: Should the Dockers go all-in for Doggies' star running beckman and East Fremantle product, Jason Johannisen, or leave him alone?
He's the reigning Norm Smith Medallist, but in recent weeks, you've seen it — JJ's been pushed around and knocked to the ground worse than the little guy in that old Moving Pictures melodramatic tune, "What About Me?"
Have your say!
Oh! And just in case you don't get the "Dyn-o-mite!" reference, it's an allusion to the 1970s American TV sitcom, "Good Times," on which a character named JJ (played by comedian Jimmie Walker) used to make buffoonish entrances and declare that he was, "Dyn-o-Mite!"
Check it:

We have missed you GG, updates on where you've been (outside of Aussie TV media appearances ;) ) would be handy.

Miss ya bro!

People said the same things about Brad Hill except, of course, the "shit haircut" part. :D
I said Brad Hill lacked awareness and kept getting run down - I saw him as a soft outside player. Turns out his strengths more than make up for it.

I watched a few WB games earlier in the season to see how JJ played, and he was shit. Lots of run and carry ending with a turnover. Struggling to see how D Pearce mk II makes us any better. Would rather spend the reported sums on a M Pavlich mk II which is a more pressing need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have missed you GG, updates on where you've been (outside of Aussie TV media appearances ;) ) would be handy.

Miss ya bro!

Hey, miss you, too! Working on getting out US edition of my book, "Jumping At the Chance," (out later this month) about the American boys and girls in AFL competitions. Hopefully next year, Katie Klatt (playing at Melbourne Uni now) will make history as first American born-and-bred woman in AFLW. Moving back to teaching high school for full-time gig.
Explored idea of writing a book about amateur footy Peace Team (joint Israeli-Palestinian club that competed in an AFL International Cup). I even met and watched them train last year in Jerusalem (great bunch of guys!), but not enough there and team is hanging tough to survive.
Also, working on returning to WA for 2018 to catch a match or two in our new stadium!

I said Brad Hill lacked awareness and kept getting run down - I saw him as a soft outside player. Turns out his strengths more than make up for it.

I watched a few WB games earlier in the season to see how JJ played, and he was shit. Lots of run and carry ending with a turnover. Struggling to see how D Pearce mk II makes us any better. Would rather spend the reported sums on a M Pavlich mk II which is a more pressing need

Really good point. I remember even as JJ was on his way to winning the Norm Smith, he turned it over a ton of times. Still, with his speed, energy and knack for delivering on the big stage, he's an intriguing one to consider bringing in — or not.

JJ doesn't address our biggest need, so I don't want to use our biggest chip on him. That needs to be there for Brander or Fogarty.

Hey, mate! Which Fogarty? Darcy, from Glenelg, or Lachlan, from Western Jets? Both are written up well today on the AFL website, by Callum Twomey. I read his report on Brander and see why you'd like him. How do you and others rate Oscar Allen and Hunter Clark?

Complaints on JJ's disposal are highly exaggerated, sure he misses a few targets disposing of the ball at top speed, but most the people on our list miss their targets when they're stationairy

Definitely not. Flash in the pan. I don't even think his Grand Final (which is what his value is ultimately being base on) was that great - if he didn't win the Normy would his price tag be the same as what's being bandied around? I doubt it.

Best value for money would be to have a crack at Nathan Wilson who would be cheaper and offer a whole lot more - at least he'd be willing to belt Hutchings back.

Weller is currently playing the same role and doing it very well - he will surpass JJ's level very soon.

JJ was extremely lucky in my opinion (and I think many others) to get the Normy. Half his kicks that day went to nobody. In order, Boyd, Kennedy, Bont all played better on the day I thought. Probably others I can't remember. He gets pumped up because 'Norm Smith Medalist" but has been ordinary at best this year.

$800k is top 5 player money, and he wouldn't be that here.

Half the board has turned on McCarthy already. Every time Sutcliffe plays we tear him a new one on here after kicking the ball to the opposition. I guarantee that if JJ comes there will be outcry before he plays 10 games for butchering the ball.

He would have been fine in the 2013 gameplan but we are now a corridor team. Our back half has to hit targets or the opposition kicks goals.

PASS.

Picken was a clear BOG for me on the day

2016 grand final sprint.

Darcy has serious wheels over the first 30 meters which is really all you need to get separation.

To expand on that further - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...ding-gun-with-a-lethal-left-foot-darcy-tucker

With his zip and drive from half-back, Tucker can set up play up the ground for his team. He's comfortable with the ball and backs himself with his left foot, and enjoys taking the game on, having a bounce and finding a teammate.

This year he averaged nearly 23 disposals in the TAC Cup, which included five rebound 50s a game. He also picked up nearly nine handball receives an outing, highlighting his ability to attract the ball and provide some run. He likes to baulk opponents, create some room and then take off.

Tucker has the frame and body maturity to step right into an AFL system. He played one game of VFL this year for the Roosters and fitted in seamlessly, gathering 19 disposals at 80 per cent efficiency.

Athletically he is also impressive, having recorded a level 15.3 beep test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, which was the third best of any player to compete. His best agility score is elite (a leftover trait from his days as a star junior basketballer) and he can leap and take an overhead grab.

Plays like ...

Tucker might start out his career as a Shaun Atley type of half-back flanker who breaks the lines with his run and carry and zigzagging dash. Like the North Melbourne defender, Tucker will eventually progress further up the ground as his career unfolds.

I've tried to avoid this convo but there is one piece that hasn't been mentioned. Our academy selection for next year is Jason Carter.

Contrary to popular belief that he is a forward pocket, he is a line breaking speedster half back. He can defend, he can run, he can kick.

I'm not against JJ for the right price but we'll almost definitely have Carter on our list in a year and a bit and if they don't have him earmarked for a rebounding half back spot I'd be very surprised.

LOL! Was at a Nats' game in DC last week and a couple of minutes after I told my wife the Nats' bullpen is their biggest issue, sure enough, it imploded and gave up 3 runs in a 5-4 loss to the Cubs!

Yep, sad to say, but all the offensive - and Scherzer - heroics will be wasted if we can't fix it. On that point, would be interested in your views on a sporting cultural difference between Oz and the US. The Nats manager has been quoted for weeks saying, in effect, that the bullpen stinks and needs to be fixed (through trading). I'm here wondering what this is doing for the morale of the poor guys he sends in there on relief!

Carter is an almost definite which increases JJ's luxury import tax.
Weighing up the money and comparing the skills makes JC essential and JJ superfluous.
Don't think we'll chase very hard at all,despite the media racket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would JJ Be "Dyn-o-mite!" at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back