Would JJ Be "Dyn-o-mite!" at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

It has to be all about the price.

You'd be mad not to take JJ if he was cheap as chips, and equally you'd be mad to pay the type of 1st rounder we will end up with. The lack of a high 2nd kind of stuffs us here as you imagine that would make a nice starting point. He is not so good as to be a must have, but we could undoubtedly find a spot for him if he did. I would rather Wilson but there is no real indications that he would like to come home.

I've tried to avoid this convo but there is one piece that hasn't been mentioned. Our academy selection for next year is Jason Carter.

Contrary to popular belief that he is a forward pocket, he is a line breaking speedster half back. He can defend, he can run, he can kick.

I'm not against JJ for the right price but we'll almost definitely have Carter on our list in a year and a bit and if they don't have him earmarked for a rebounding half back spot I'd be very surprised.

Great news. Any vision out there of him playing?

On that point, would be interested in your views on a sporting cultural difference between Oz and the US. The Nats manager has been quoted for weeks saying, in effect, that the bullpen stinks and needs to be fixed (through trading). I'm here wondering what this is doing for the morale of the poor guys he sends in there on relief!

Nats' manager Dusty Baker is no Ross Lyon when it comes to bluntness, sardonic wit and occasional caustic verbal jabs at news reporters, but it's a bit rare for an MLB manager to indirectly (yet publicly) lobby management to get him help via trade. As for the guys out there trying to do the job, Dusty's remarks could go one of three ways. One: It could fire up someone doing the job to prove Dusty wrong and make a name for himself; Two: It could provide a convenient cover for the failings of anyone doing poorly at the job; Three: It could alienate bullpen guys out there trying their best and hurt morale.

To be fair, the game I attended wasn't entirely Blake Treinen's fault. If Daniel Murphy had simply made a relay throw to first base on a potential game-ending double play, it likely would've been done and dusted. Instead, the game continued.

Today's West is quoting JJ's manager as saying that he wants to stay at the Bulldogs and they have put a counter offer to the club. And that he's not as greedy as has been claimed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I rate him a touch higher than some people here but yeah, dodged a bit of a bullet I reckon. Very good player, but not for the coin he'd have been on which would have significantly hurt our ability to resign our young fellas, who I'm more than happy to back in. I think we'll have plenty of drive from defence with combinations sourced from Hughes/Weller/Nyhuis/Tucker/Duman/Logue/Ryan etc. Our best passages of play this year have mostly come from HB, which is the trend of modern footy, we'll be right without JJ.

I think I rate him a touch higher than some people here but yeah, dodged a bit of a bullet I reckon. Very good player, but not for the coin he'd have been on which would have significantly hurt our ability to resign our young fellas, who I'm more than happy to back in. I think we'll have plenty of drive from defence with combinations sourced from Hughes/Weller/Nyhuis/Tucker/Duman/Logue/Ryan etc. Our best passages of play this year have mostly come from HB, which is the trend of modern footy, we'll be right without JJ.
He is clearly rated by opposition coaches (hence the tag) so must be alright.

Just no value for us at this stage. Especially since we get a free hit on Carter next year who looks almost Saad like in those few short clips. Just takes off every time he gets it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would JJ Be "Dyn-o-mite!" at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back