Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - HCQ doesn't work - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is continued in Part 4:

This really sucks. After having a grip on the world for almost 6 months, we are no closer to finding a vaccine, let alone a treatment that can stand up to the virus.

It shows not only how little we were prepared as humanity, but how little capacity we have to deal with these types of events, now or into the future.
Weird comment- about the only positive out of the last 6 months has been the unbelievable speed of vaccine development.

There are a few steps to go yet, but the oxford vaccine is still on track to be rolled out in sept/oct. If it works and they meet their timeline it will be one of the most remarkable public health achievements in history. They've turned a 2 year process into a 8-9 month process.

How stupid are the people who say life has returned to normal? Even in Tas, SA, WA etc
They could be extremely introverted and don’t go out much even before covid

Has Victoria's epidemic peaked? Scientists say it may have

On Friday, Victoria recorded just 300 infections, with many hoping the state had turned a corner. But cases have soared every day since then before reaching Monday's record number.
However, epidemiologists say the daily numbers are not a very good guide to the overall state of the epidemic.

Internal government data shows Victoria's infection numbers are holding steady and may even be shrinking, said Associate Professor Nick Golding, an epidemic modeller at Curtin University.
“Rather than looking at the case numbers, if you look at when we think the infection happened, there has been a pretty steady decline in the reproduction number. It’s probably about one or lower now,” said Dr Golding, who is part of the team that provides daily virus tracking to the Victorian state government.

If the new lockdown measures can hold the reproduction number below one, the epidemic will start to shrink.

Has Victoria's epidemic peaked? Scientists say it may have

On Friday, Victoria recorded just 300 infections, with many hoping the state had turned a corner. But cases have soared every day since then before reaching Monday's record number.
However, epidemiologists say the daily numbers are not a very good guide to the overall state of the epidemic.

Internal government data shows Victoria's infection numbers are holding steady and may even be shrinking, said Associate Professor Nick Golding, an epidemic modeller at Curtin University.
“Rather than looking at the case numbers, if you look at when we think the infection happened, there has been a pretty steady decline in the reproduction number. It’s probably about one or lower now,” said Dr Golding, who is part of the team that provides daily virus tracking to the Victorian state government.

If the new lockdown measures can hold the reproduction number below one, the epidemic will start to shrink.

Good news, but what's the plan when numbers get back to double figures? That's what I want to hear from our pollies.

Europe is worrying.*

*Not scared of the virus. Scared of the political decisions.
The political decisions are very difficult with no obvious right answer (anyone telling you there is one just demonstrates their lack of insight)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw one of the NSW cases today was a Victorian woman flying from Melbourne to Sydney on Jetstar.

Can someone explain to me why there are still domestic flights out of Melbourne?

So, why can't people drive across as long they promise they're going to do the 14 day isolation? Ridiculously inconsistent.
Yes, but unfortunately measures tend to be pretty blunt, perhaps if this goes on they can be more refined. I did notice you used the word 'promise', unfortunately stupid folks with a sense of entitlement like 'Karen' from Bunnings means it's hard for the government to depend on citizens to do the right thing on the basis of a promise.

Added - note to Karen from Bunnings. We don't have any guarantee of our human rights in Oz. No bill of rights. Five things are specifically identified as explicit individual rights in the Constitution. These are the right to vote (Section 41), protection against acquisition of property on unjust terms (Section 51), the right to a trial by jury (Section 80), freedom of religion (Section 116) and prohibition of discrimination on the basis of State of residency (Section 117). Perhaps she could claim she was being discriminated against under section 117.

Social isolation is not a form of psychological torture. It is not akin to solitary confinement. Normal human interaction is not under threat. Society is not divided between those who embrace the official fear and those who dismiss it; there are no enemies of the people. We are a united community.

The PCR test is not a fraud that was never designed for this purpose. All over the world, the attribution of death to COVID is not clouded in suspect numbers.
Here in Australia, the average age of those who are reported to have died as a result of COVID is not above life expectancy. While COVID cases escalate, in the middle of winter, the influenza has virtually disappeared due to our responsible isolation.

The mask must be worn. Breathing is deadly. Each minute you wear the mask you save lives. The mask will not become damp and attract particles. It will not become a petri-dish of particulates. It doesn't create fear nor is it a humiliation. It is a simple cloth. Wearing it shows care and compassion for the community and it affirms we are all in this together.

There is nothing to be afraid of if we just stick together and respect our leaders and our experts. They have our best interests at heart. Our children will not be permanently scarred by fear. They will not grow up suspicious of invisible threats. There is no evidence of increased mental health problems or suicides or domestic violence. We can keep connected with Zoom and social media. Everything is just fine. Love will cure everything.

Social isolation is not a form of psychological torture. It is not akin to solitary confinement. Normal human interaction is not under threat. Society is not divided between those who embrace the official fear and those who dismiss it; there are no enemies of the people. We are a united community.

The PCR test is not a fraud that was never designed for this purpose. All over the world, the attribution of death to COVID is not clouded in suspect numbers.
Here in Australia, the average age of those who are reported to have died as a result of COVID is not above life expectancy. While COVID cases escalate, in the middle of winter, the influenza has virtually disappeared due to our responsible isolation.

The mask must be worn. Breathing is deadly. Each minute you wear the mask you save lives. The mask will not become damp and attract particles. It will not become a petri-dish of particulates. It doesn't create fear nor is it a humiliation. It is a simple cloth. Wearing it shows care and compassion for the community and it affirms we are all in this together.

There is nothing to be afraid of if we just stick together and respect our leaders and our experts. They have our best interests at heart. Our children will not be permanently scarred by fear. They will not grow up suspicious of invisible threats. There is no evidence of increased mental health problems or suicides or domestic violence. We can keep connected with Zoom and social media. Everything is just fine. Love will cure everything.

Masks are fine yebiga, just remember to brush your teeth next time.

How stupid are the people who say life has returned to normal? Even in Tas, SA, WA etc

If you live in Perth and don't travel (interstate or OS) then you can work, eat, play, watch sport and go about daily life with little difference to the past. In the last week, the only major difference I've noticed is less people at the footy (which is a good thing - easier to get to and from the game).

Life is not normal for me, because travel is part of my life (I should be in Mentawais this weekend) but daily life is pretty close to normal.

If you live in Perth and don't travel (interstate or OS) then you can work, eat, play, watch sport and go about daily life with little difference to the past. In the last week, the only major difference I've noticed is less people at the footy (which is a good thing - easier to get to and from the game).

Life is not normal for me, because travel is part of my life (I should be in Mentawais this weekend) but daily life is pretty close to normal.
Yeah, I'll admit, Iforgot about people who don't do stuff.

Precisely my point, if you are building such a massive facility make sure it's built specially for corona patients. Why invest millions of pounds in building a facility then nothing using it while according to reports there's one nurse for every 30 patients.

Did you reply to the wrong post? That makes zero sense as to what I said.

The Nightingale hospitals in the UK have been virtually empty. They had 30 nurses or more for every patient. Existing NHS hospitals have been generally able to cope with corona cases.

However the NHS prioritised corona patients over all others so that they could cope with demand. It led to them kicking out elderly patients into care homes, some of whom were infected, which led to thousands of deaths. Other parts of the NHS have collapsed. Waiting lists for surgery such as hip replacements have been scrapped.

Victoria has just announced that all elective surgery has been suspended. That's ****ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back