Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 4 - Ivermectin doesn't work either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 5:

I don’t accept the blunt instrument argument; you only have to look at the more nuanced approach of N.S.W to realize there is a valid alternative. Blunt instrument approaches are made at the expense of those being governed and demonstrates a lack of imagination. An extension of the blunt instrument approach is what the US have adopted in their response to law and order.

yeah, fair take. for me this whole past 12 months just highlights the diabolical and inflexible mess that is what VicGov has become. Thats not a Labor or Liberal thing either, both parties are to blame, its happened over the past several decades. If you've ever dealt in any way with any VicGov department you'll know how ridiculously mired in bureaucracy it has become. There is an intrinsic resistance to - and inability to quickly make - change that has really been shown up through this pandemic.

Not really, made sense to go out to dinner Friday night while we still could. We were going out Saturday night, but we couldn't as that was deemed to dangerous so we changed it to Friday night as it wasn't deemed dangerous enough to make it illegal

If it's so dangerous, make it instantly. Makes more sense than some random time. Tennis fans ok to attend but kicked out at 11.30......yeah, makes sense. Does the virus spike at that time......

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
So yes, you would have preferred Dan said drop what you're doing, close up and go home immediately at 1pm. I'm sure no one would have had any issues with that at all :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, they have to balance the measures with, you know, running an actual state. Its really not that complicated I would have thought.

We need a corona forum. Far too many things to discuss in one thread and everything is getting lost.

Hot topics of interest just at the moment:

who virus probe in china
victorias negligence in contract tracing
the vacccines and their success with the SA and UK strain
the large fall in global virus numbers in the past month.
demands for border closures to all citizens by state leaders.
Foreign uni students being given spots ahead of australians on flights home.

Last edited:

He does have a point.

And yes it's exactly what should be happening otherwise it's not really based 100% on epidemiology.

Its a balancing act.

It can still be based on epidemiology and latest scientific advice - none of which means you can bring the state to a complete stop within minutes with no prior notice whatsoever, thats patently ridiculous.

Its a balancing act.

It can still be based on epidemiology and latest scientific advice - none of which means you can bring the state to a complete stop within minutes with no prior notice whatsoever, thats patently ridiculous.
Easy to stop 10,000 entering the Australian open I would have thought.......don't open the gates. That problem is solved.

Easy to stop 10,000 entering the Australian open I would have thought.......don't open the gates. That problem is solved.

It really is a no win situation - lockdown is “stifling business” and stopping incoming is “despicable”.

Most places have similar or lighter for restrictions than during last year when cases were peaking.

Unbelievably there are still some people who think that, left unchecked, exponential growth will increase until 100% of people are infected. Not observed anywhere, nor for any previous pandemic.

another sh@t fight, feel very bad for people who have businesses on the line and their houses on the line.

No words are enough......

Most places have similar or lighter for restrictions than during last year when cases were peaking.

You’re talking nonsense

actually, and I'm not sure how to say this to be honest. Every Wed I have off and meet up with my dad for a coffee at our local, about three years ago I was talking to my dad about the housing market, the cost of living and the loan amounts borrowed to pay the crazy loan repayments. Then I said imagine if a virus strikes and there is no work for a while, what will people do? Who would've thought this is happening right now!!!!!!

Unbelievably there are still some people who think that, left unchecked, exponential growth will increase until 100% of people are infected. Not observed anywhere, nor for any previous pandemic.
Not sure what 100% exactly means but yes if zero lockdowns it will spiral out of control, much like most of Europe, US etc. You’re delusional if you don’t think it will.

Cool - how about the rest of the state?

Look, happy to accept that they probably could have stopped tennis crowds rocking up and asked everyone already there to head home when they could. But its one event, any potential mishandling of it doesn't make the idea you can bring an entire state to a grinding halt within an hour any more reasonable. Once you understand that simply isn't possible, there has to be some time when it starts that is relatively soon but balances the realities of society and life - and it was midnight that night. Very quick, really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a balancing act.

But it's not really a complete stop though is it. You're just asking people to not go to a restaurant, the cinema, have a party at their house, not shop more than 5km.

Not sure what 100% exactly means but yes if zero lockdowns it will spiral out of control, much like most of Europe, US etc. You’re delusional if you don’t think it will.
You were dismissing a natural peak and assigning it all to lockdowns, even though the trend is similar throughout the Northern hemisphere regardless of the stringency of restrictions. You're wrong.

Yes it would probably be around 70% instead. What idiots!
USA number of tests exceeds their total population, for a hit rate of less than 10%. And it's in decline everywhere. Final number will be miles less than 70%, and that's in the country that has apparently handled it worse than anybody.

We can thank the bullying aspect of cancel culture for that.

Independent thought and career prospects have never been a shakier pairing than they are right now.
It's the attack on independent thought and this whole mob comply mentality. Yeah have a free society just as long as we agree.
The people right at the pointy end of bureaucracy and government take otherwise noble causes (aboriginal rights and recognition, gay rights, need to fight a virus etc) and use it as a Trojan horse to push their warped agendas and suspend accountability. And all their followers jump on the band wagon like it's a footy game.
It's a kind of mad hysteria that has taken hold. This covid stuff just proves it.

You were dismissing a natural peak and assigning it all to lockdowns, even though the trend is similar throughout the Northern hemisphere regardless of the stringency of restrictions. You're wrong.

Europe, the US, everywhere, has had at least some form of lockdown, including the whole gamut of restrictions, for the past 8+ months or so.

Sure, restricting interactions logically has to have some kind of impact short term, but all of the data shows this virus is nowhere near as deadly as was initially advertised.

This idea that lockdown is the *panacea is starting to get a bit laughable. I think we need to consider that we're trying to destroy an ant hill with a nuclear bomb here.

*in the context of all of the statistical data we have accumulated so far

Last edited:
Europe, the US, everywhere, has had at least some form of lockdown, including the whole gamut of restrictions, for the past year.

Sure, restricting interactions logically has to have some kind of impact short term, but all of the data shows this virus is nowhere near as deadly as was initially advertised.

This idea that lockdown is the *panacea is starting to get a bit laughable. I think we need to consider that we're trying to destroy an ant hill with a nuclear bomb.

*in the context of all of the statistical data
Lockdowns keep 80yr olds alive at the expense of the mental health of our youth. NSW have found a good balance, and seem to be capable of handling outbreaks. The less said about Victoria, the better.

All these people need is a buzz word or catch phrase. Honestly people will believe anything. As long as the right person tells them.
They could take a look outside, get some fresh air, do some reading, even just admit life is ****ed. But no Dan or Mark or Sco Mo says something or a paid for bureaucrat scientist tells them something its gospel.
Then you have the martyrs, do gooders and Karens and I give up. I'll add in a Dorothy or Gordon (nothing better to do but enforce pointless rules) Enjoy the World.

Natural peak my arse

We can thank the bullying aspect of cancel culture for that.

Independent thought and career prospects have never been a shakier pairing than they are right now.

Do you remember that time you tried to cancel Annaliese Van Diemen for a tweet about Captain Cook??

All these people need is a buzz word or catch phrase. Honestly people will believe anything. As long as the right person tells them.
They could take a look outside, get some fresh air, do some reading, even just admit life is f’ed. But no Dan or Mark or Sco Mo says something or a paid for bureaucrat scientist tells them something its gospel.
Then you have the martyrs, do gooders and Karens and I give up. I'll add in a Dorothy or Gordon (nothing better to do but enforce pointless rules) Enjoy the World.

I like the way the logical narrative followed a strong line in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back