Yarra Valley - Mountain District FL Forum 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Seville FC site;

SEVILLE NETBALL

Seville would like to welcome netballers to the club as we will be fielding both A and B division netball teams for the first time.

Come and be a part of our inaugural season!

PLAYERS WANTED 16 years of age or over.

Contact Estelle on 59643814.

Great to see the Blues having netball in 2009. Netball is proving to be a big winner (and long overdue) in our league.

From the Yarra Glen Football Netball Club Site;

Pre-Season Events
"Twilight Movie at Rochfords"
Friday 27th February 2009
'THE DARK KNIGHT'
$24.00 - includes Pizza & Popcorn
Gates open at 7.00 pm - wine, beer and soft drink available
BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL - Contact David Ball on 9730 1511

"Yarra Glen FNC Golf Day"
Sunday 15th March
Warburton Golf Club 9.30am
$45.00 includes lunch and the chance to win some great prizes!
If you are interested contact David Ball on 9730 1511

The appointment of Gerard Moore has taken me by surprise. Does anyone know what became of Jason McNiece, supposedly appointed to this position last December?

Can't answer that myself but my opinion is that McNiece would be better suited to just umpiring - going by his demeanour on the football field at times, I certainly wouldn't want him coaching umpires.

I would have thought some new blood from outside the league is the best thing that could happen to the umpiring group.[/quote]

Local footy Guru, you seem to be in the know, so would like to know who is the new blood being bought back into the league as most of the faces coming back are from the old Yarra Valley days.Have heard some senior umpires may be leaving to umpire at Eastern, however cannot confirm this. I am sure we wish Gerry the best as he has a tough job taking over from Camo who was genarally well respected by all clubs in the valley.:)

Under 18's

SEVILLE

UNDER 18'S

PLAYERS WANTED

PLAY FOR FREE

UNIFORM PROVIDED

Players aged 1/10/1990 or younger

Training 6pm Monday and Wednesday at Seville Football Ground

Contact Coach Paul Bailey on 0408256441

Local footy Guru, you seem to be in the know, so would like to know who is the new blood being bought back into the league as most of the faces coming back are from the old Yarra Valley days.Have heard some senior umpires may be leaving to umpire at Eastern, however cannot confirm this. I am sure we wish Gerry the best as he has a tough job taking over from Camo who was genarally well respected by all clubs in the valley.:)[/QUOTE]

Nobster,

In the know about a lot of things in the league through keeping my ear to the ground and being able I guess to sort out what is fact and what is fiction.

In regards to umpires in 2009, the new guys will be a number of quality ex YVMDFL umpires that left a few years ago when the place was put into termoil due to the Association at the time being responsible for the appointment of a Director and not acting quickly enough to make an appointment to the position.

The other guys will be from the EFL as there are more problems there than the early settlers experienced due to what happened in 2008 and the interesting appointment of a coach without going through a proper interview process to find the best candidate.

Also on board will be a couple of ex AFL umpires too which will be a big bonus to the league and group in general. The losses from my understanding will be minimal and the core from 2008 will be on board again in 2009.

Hopefully the group will return to the level that we as players and supporters had a few years ago and was the envy of all the other leagues - remember when we had three umpires in home and away games!

All the best to Gerard, think he will be a good appointment.

bit boring on here at the moment.

here is what i know and have heard from on here and around the traps.

DIV 2

Thornton
Gone: Myself, Brett Andrews, Mark Hardy, John Elliott
signed:Luke Sharp, Andy Marshall, Scott Currie
should cover the losses and be right back up there again.

Emerald
Gone: Steve Wright, Steve Cusworth, Shane Williams, Robbie Stewart.
signed: Mick Scoon
lost there 4 best young players that were probably there best anyway. team with seemingly a great future will drop back to the pack.

Yarra Glen: Apparently a few leaving
should be thereabouts

Kinglake: Have signed a couple and have had big numbers at training.

Seville: new coach and a couple of new faces, good numbers at training. should be the big movers in 09.

junction: lost the edwards boys one to sth bel the other knee inj but signed ex brooker and bomber brad charman and a few others should improve.

belgrave:
mouse meyer signed at cranbourne with me, nick stow to upwey, marcus stow and dylan worral to sth bel and just about everyone else leaving. not looking good for 09.

powelly:
new coach and another player that are guns and should improve again.

olinda:
unknown.

Yea:
paddy mckenna coaching and some other signings. should improve too

PREDICTIONS
Thornton
Seville
Kinglake
Yarra Glen
Olinda
Powelltown
Yea
Emerald
Yarra Junction
Belgrave

PREMIER: Thornton
LEAGUE B&F: Tregoning(Olinda)/R.chapman(thorn)

DIV 1

Brookers:
signed: aussie jones, clark brothers, shane williams from emerald, plus a lot of others.
should be massive improvers from last year.

silvan:
couple in and a couple out will be there again at the end.

healsville:
??

wandin:
??

mt evelyn:
aparrently picked up a few.

upwey:
new coach in porter and a couple of other signings

warby: aparently signed a couple of alex boys.

alex:
lost all there imports from last year plus oakley and davis looking elswhere, could be a long season at rebel park.

Monbulk:
??

Woori:
??

PREDICTIONS
Probably dont know enough.

silvan
upwey
gembrook
monbulk
woori
mt ev
healsville
wandin
warby
alex

PREMIERS: silvan
LEAGUE B&F: ricky clark

there we go that might get things going.......

Ok heres my 2 cents worth b4 regos open this week.

2nd Div

TH/EI
YARRA GLEN
OLINDA
KINGLAKE
SEVILLE
EMERALD
BELGRAVE
POWELLTOWN
YARRA JUNCTION
YEA

Flag YARRA GLEN

1ST Div

silvan
upwey
gembrook
monbulk
mt evelyn
healsville
woori
wandin
warby
alex

Flag UPWEY

The second division Unders comp is a farce.
Sides like Kinglake and Yea who do not field Unders (I'm sure it is not there fault etc) really throws it out for clubs who do field the sides who end up having 6 byes a season. The league really has to consider fixturing the Under's in second division to not follow their senior teams just so the players can get a game each week instead of either leaving to go to suburban leagues or sitting on the sidelines drinking beer from 11am till the end of the senior game.
Any suggestions?
There are probably too many teams to create one Under 18's comp between first and second division but last year's format in D2 with 3 clubs not fielding unders was a complete joke.

Sides like Kinglake and Yea who do not field Unders (I'm sure it is not there fault etc) really throws it out for clubs who do field the sides who end up having 6 byes a season. The league really has to consider fixturing the Under's in second division to not follow their senior teams just so the players can get a game each week instead of either leaving to go to suburban leagues or sitting on the sidelines drinking beer from 11am till the end of the senior game.
Any suggestions?
There are probably too many teams to create one Under 18's comp between first and second division but last year's format in D2 with 3 clubs not fielding unders was a complete joke.

Think more of the same this year in 2nd div and yes it is hard to keep young blokes interested not playing every week. Playing the U/18s away from the other senior sides would stretch most clubs ability to service all teams with trained and experienced trainers plus the cost factor. The league need to find out early who will and wont have u/18s b4 making any decitions such as an u/17s comp or allowing u/16s to double redgister so they can play sat and sun if required, i think this happens now anyway. I guess those clubs who do or are able to pay their u/18s may have plenty of players, not much good if they are only playing 1 in three weeks, young blokes want to play footy and will eventually leave for a league that can facilitate this payed or not.

Any suggestions?

Whilst it may be dissapointing to clubs that have under 18's and are faced with the prospect of extended byes, nonetheless i can assure you that the clubs you have mentioned have gone to great lengths to obtain under 18's.
Yea FCNC has had a good history with junior sides in the past, perhaps the VCFL and YVMDFL should consider reverting back to under 17's with relevent junior leagues ie Seymour District J F N League Conducting Unders 15's 13's etc.
Perhaps the same could be said for sides not embracing netball, unfortunately al sports can be cyclic in nature next year may be different.

Any suggestions?

XIV its easy to sit there and make comment like comp is a farce and a complete joke, but I can assure you its not just second division clubs that struggle with unders. Last year we saw Monbulk unable to field an unders team and a couple of years ago it was Woori . The purpose of this forum is for everyone to be able to make a comment which I have no problem with, but when you make a comment please provide an alternative. A number of years ago we had a single competition for unders but the problems is finding enough qualified people at club level to send with a stand alone team and we got requests to go back to the 2 division structure. I know how hard this age group is as I coached at this level 3 years ago. It is a challenge for all clubs and one that we all have to work hard at. But lets all agree to be constructive and provide options as the unders is the long term strength and any club

Graeme (Joey) Tuplin
President YVMDFNL

Spot on Joey on both fronts.
A) No-one cares for bitchers and moaners, particularly when they don't have alternatives.
B) My opinion is that U18s should be run as 1st & 2nd Division Comps for the simple reason that when it is run as 1, its very difficult to set up support staff etc to follow the boys to each game as they are inevitably not at the same ground as the Senior footballers & netballers !

The Under 18's debate

Graeme, welcome to Big Footy. Congratulations on your election. I can only imagine the hours of extra work and stress to ensure the league enjoys a successfull season that you have agreed to take on.

Anything we can do to help the league please do not hesitate to post.

Under 18's​

As an outsider looking in on the Under 18's debate, I have read with interest posters comments on the situation.

As Board Moderator I always take extra interest when someone claims other posters are being totally negative / unhelpful etc.

I re read _XIV_'s post and have quoted it here breaking up the relevant sections.

As far as I can see other than the opening and closing statements, which are at least consistant - I read it as the system is broken and their is frustration from the poster about the current arrangements.

the main body of posters argument is fine. The body explains several clubs dont provide U18's - without any judgement against those clubs.

But the areas I have underlined appear to me to be possible alternatives, which is what you need.

Good debate. It is a shame that both main alternatives of a single U18 and a 2 Division U18 competition have been tried and both have their failings.

RH

Sides like Kinglake and Yea who do not field Unders (I'm sure it is not there fault etc) really throws it out for clubs who do field the sides who end up having 6 byes a season.

The league really has to consider fixturing the Under's in second division to not follow their senior teams just so the players can get a game each week instead of either leaving to go to suburban leagues or sitting on the sidelines drinking beer from 11am till the end of the senior game.

Any suggestions?

There are probably too many teams to create one Under 18's comp between first and second division

but last year's format in D2 with 3 clubs not fielding unders was a complete joke.

XIV its easy to sit there and make comment like comp is a farce and a complete joke, but I can assure you its not just second division clubs that struggle with unders. Last year we saw Monbulk unable to field an unders team and a couple of years ago it was Woori . The purpose of this forum is for everyone to be able to make a comment which I have no problem with, but when you make a comment please provide an alternative. A number of years ago we had a single competition for unders but the problems is finding enough qualified people at club level to send with a stand alone team and we got requests to go back to the 2 division structure. I know how hard this age group is as I coached at this level 3 years ago. It is a challenge for all clubs and one that we all have to work hard at. But lets all agree to be constructive and provide options as the unders is the long term strength and any club

Graeme (Joey) Tuplin
President YVMDFNL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Under 18's debate

Graeme, welcome to Big Footy. Congratulations on your election. I can only imagine the hours of extra work and stress to ensure the league enjoys a successfull season that you have agreed to take on.

Anything we can do to help the league please do not hesitate to post.

Under 18's​

As an outsider looking in on the Under 18's debate, I have read with interest posters comments on the situation.

As Board Moderator I always take extra interest when someone claims other posters are being totally negative / unhelpful etc.

I re read _XIV_'s post and have quoted it here breaking up the relevant sections.

As far as I can see other than the opening and closing statements, which are at least consistant - I read it as the system is broken and their is frustration from the poster about the current arrangements.

the main body of posters argument is fine. The body explains several clubs dont provide U18's - without any judgement against those clubs.

But the areas I have underlined appear to me to be possible alternatives, which is what you need.

Good debate. It is a shame that both main alternatives of a single U18 and a 2 Division U18 competition have been tried and both have their failings.

RH

RustyHawk thanks for the welcome. This is my 9th year involved at board level and the challenges for clubs and under's seems to get harder each year. We need good healty debate on this topic as it is a critical one going forward and even more so now that the points system is in and under's attract only the one point. I have no doubt both Kinglake and Yea would love too have unders and I know that the clubs are looking at ways to get them, but I also agree with XIV's post in that its hard for the teams that do have them and not being able to offer a full season for their young men. I put it to the forum that we are continually reviewing the unders and looking for the right option but it is not and easy fix.

Keep up the good work. I expect the postings to increase now that transfer have started and all the rumours can convert to fact.

RustyHawk thanks for the welcome. This is my 9th year involved at board level and the challenges for clubs and under's seems to get harder each year. We need good healty debate on this topic as it is a critical one going forward and even more so now that the points system is in and under's attract only the one point. I have no doubt both Kinglake and Yea would love too have unders and I know that the clubs are looking at ways to get them, but I also agree with XIV's post in that its hard for the teams that do have them and not being able to offer a full season for their young men. I put it to the forum that we are continually reviewing the unders and looking for the right option but it is not and easy fix.

Keep up the good work. I expect the postings to increase now that transfer have started and all the rumours can convert to fact.

Blokes I keep reading this and I reckon there is a couple of left field answers in regards to Under 18's games. Have 2 games at an away venue close enough to all clubs playing. Example is Mt Evelyn Vs Wandin in Div 1 Under 18's played at Wandin when seniors playing at Mt Evelyn. Div 2 Under 18's play at same venue on same day and start at 9am. Example is Seville V Yarra Glen. Div 1 Under 18's start at 10.45am and all finished by 12.15pm. This gives everyone enough time to get back to a ground and watch the senior team. When there is a longer trip involved ie Seville to Yea ( I know it doesnt count as they dont have a team but just for demographic arguement, the Unders play either at the ground OR another teams away ground which is agreed. this system wont work perfectly because the arguement will be that all clubs want their Under 18's playing at the ground they play at but as per the last few years I dont think the system is working and if the league cannot guarantee the players a game each week we will lose the pool of players needed to feed through to senior teams.
The next point is that all clubs pay an additional(nominal) $500 per year to the league and the League supplys trainers, interchange steward and umpires for both games. Clubs supply 2 officials and of course the rest of the support structure.
Once again not a perfect situation as some grounds need a rest every second week.
One last point is there is plenty of land in the Yarra valley to build a league owned grounds x 2 same location with facilities as a neutral finals venue.

Pick the eyes out of this but its a start on a debate that is needed to help the league grow.

Good to have you on board Graham and look forward to you providing insight into the league during 2009.

On a football related matter, some of the clearances into the competition look interesting especially at Upwey and Wandin with the recruiting of some really good players and Silvan picking up the highly rated Norman from Noble Park. Will certainly be an East Ringwood influence in the league in 2009.

These recruits combined with the player movement at Gembrook are certainly starting to make things interesting in Division 1.

Looks like the movement of players from Alexandra has commenced too!

Olinda Ferny Creek Netball News

The netball season is coming ! Welcome back to all our netball players & we look forward to having you as part of the team in 2009.

New players are most welcome. Contact the coach Helen on 0418 314 745 if you are interested in playing or would like more information.

The big news is our new netball court at Olinda Reserve will be ready for the start of the season, not only will we have two great teams we’ll have the best court in the league.

Training: every Thursday 6.30 pm – 8 pm . Olinda Netball Courts. Olinda Reserve

Olinda-Monbulk Rd.

Training Starts: THURSDAY 5th FEBRUARY. 6.30 pm

Wear comfortable training gear, netball runners & bring a water bottle

Training will focus on improving individual skills and fitness levels, developing team strategies and systems, learning how to play as a team unit and being familiar with each others playing styles and strengths. We trust that all players will make every effort to attend the weekly training.

Training is followed by dinner in the club rooms, ( from March on ) cost varies from $5 - $8 depending on meal provided. Stay around & enjoy a hearty good value meal and time with your teammates & the footy players.

Training Weekend: Friday February 27th (eve) – Sunday 1st March 4pm.

A weekend of fun, team bonding, tribe challenges, beach activities and fitness training.

Beach location 1.5 hrs drive. Car pooling will be organized. Cost will be kept as low as possible ( approx $50 ) and will include 2 nights accommodation, good food & drinks. Get these dates into your diary now & organize your work shifts etc so you don’t miss out on what will be a fantastic weekend.

Season starts: Saturday 4th April - first game at home. On our new netball court !!!

Coach: Helen Wositzky 0418 314 745.

This will be my second season coaching the OFCFNC netball teams. I look forward to coaching again this season and will do my utmost to make the season enjoyable – I believe it is really important that playing sport is fun and that all players enjoy being part of the team. Having a great netball team relies on everyone doing their best, working together and the team being supportive and encouraging to all the team members. A personal feeling of satisfaction is really important to enjoying your sport, through improving individual skills and in being a valued team member.

Look forward to seeing you on the netball court !

From the Gembrook Cockatoo FC Internet Site;

A great family day out was had by all who attended the Brooker Boys v The AFL All Stars in a Twenty20 Cricket Match held last Sunday. A crowd of over 500 people watched on as the Gembrook Boys battled it out against AFL rivals Stephen Milne,Daniel Pratt, Josh Gibson, Corey Jones, Mick Firrito and Leigh Harding. They were joined by Brooker boys Ian Litterbach, Senior Coach Travis Marsham, Club President Steve Goodie, Vice President Trevor Anderson and two young aspiring crickets from the crowd who one a spot on the AFL side in the raffle.

Assistant Coach Aussie Jones lead the Brookers team which included Rick Clarke and his brother Lee the latest recruits for the Brookers, along side Andrew(Froggy) Hilder, AJ Walker, Shannon (Richo) Richardson, Steve (Pants)Pantorno, Matt O'Neil, Kade Yeo, Marcus Wybrott, and Dean Allcott.

In a very close match the AFL boys came out the winners by the narrowest of margins with a couple of 6's being hit to win the game. President Steve Goodie bowling out new recruit Lee Clark with his bother Rick Clarke having the highest batting score" 53 not out".Clarky's batting partner Marcus Wybrott also proved to be handy with the bat , a score of 23 not out.

On the AFL sides highest score batsmen were Stephen Milne caught out at 34 and Daniel Pratt who bat twice scoring a total of 61 runs bringing their final total to 212 runs to the Brookers 210.

A few crowd catches won some lucky spectators a signed cricket ball or bat from one of the AFL boys. Running commentary by the club Treasurer/Football Manager Phil Smith kept the crowds entertained.

The day was sponsored by local Mitre 10 Emerald Co-op with the Prizes for catches being donated by the Gembrook Cockatoo Branch of the Bendigo community Bank. The club would like to extend its appreciation for their support of this event which was a winner all round.

The club would also like to thank the many volunteers on the day who helped out to make the event a very enjoyable one.A special thank you to the umpires for the day from the Emerald Cricket Club.

Great to see Bryce Mcgain get selected for the Australian squad to tour South Africa. Bryce is a ex YVMDFL player having played footy for Silvan for five seasons, winning the club senior B&F three times, the League B&F in 2000 as well as being named in Silvan's Team of the century. He still keeps in contact with many people from Silvan and we wish him all the best in gaining a baggy green cap, it will be some acievment!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

So the Olinda girls are having a training weekend away for "A weekend of fun, team bonding, tribe challenges, beach activities and fitness training." Don't know about the fitness training, but I wouldn't mind going along and getting a bit "tribal" myself!

Having a bit of a browse through some of the websites and it appears that a couple of clubs are yet to fill their committees, not to mention their playing stocks. Wandin don't have a Treasurer listed and Olinda don't have a Vice President or Treasurer listed. I hope this is just an error on their websites, as it would be disappointing for clubs not to have an executive committee in place by mid February

Just an error i am having problems with the spell check on my computer so it will sorted soon apart from that i hope all is cool with our website. have had a few calls saying that it looks good

Great to see Bryce Mcgain get selected for the Australian squad to tour South Africa. Bryce is a ex YVMDFL player having played footy for Silvan for five seasons, winning the club senior B&F three times, the League B&F in 2000 as well as being named in Silvan's Team of the century. He still keeps in contact with many people from Silvan and we wish him all the best in gaining a baggy green cap, it will be some acievment!:thumbsu::thumbsu:
While on locals achieving notability: our Australian of the year, Mick Dodson, is an ex-Belgrave identity and footy player. Great to see Mick recognised for his work - and a fine choice! Mick and his brother Pat have long been in the vanguard of activists for indigenous rights. Great humanitarians.

Just an error i am having problems with the spell check on my computer so it will sorted soon apart from that i hope all is cool with our website. have had a few calls saying that it looks good

Thanks Sid. You must have a couple of doozies to deal with though if "Wositzky" doesn't cause problems with your spell check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back