Yarra Valley - Mountain District FL Forum 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands up who didnt see the demise of Silvan. Thing is they wont just go down to Divy 2 they will disappear completely. I cant say I will be sad when it happens as they deserve whats coming. Were are all there supporters getting on here posting how professional they and how all the players love the club so much.:rolleyes:

It seems the main diehard Silvan player that used to leap to the defence of the club and it's "professionalism" grew slightly disgruntled and finds himself playing at another club this year. Wonder how many other locals will hang around when the going gets tough.

For heaven's sake! Is Silvan the first club ever to go on a buying spree? NO! My two clubs Monbulk ('83) & Upwey (late 70's, 80's, 90's and now currently). Then a brief selection of others -Seville mid 90's, Gembrook late '80's, Warby 2000, Healesville '88, and so on. I can already hear the cries of denial and how "all those boys were 'home grown" or 'played for jumper loyalty' -nothing ever changes. A club works hard to get into a position to bolster it's stocks and everyone else cries 'foul!'. Virtually everyone has done it, but some (Upwey?) manage it far better than others.
As for Silvan being damned to oblivion, why not put the same curse on all others who have looked to improve their stocks. Wouldn't be too much left of the league!!
And what's so clever about seeing the obvious? We all knew that Silvan couldn't sustain a top side for ever - but now, they have had their 15 minutes in the sun and good on 'em. Kicked a few big guns' butts, and in the process gave hope to the minnows like Powelltown, Kinglake, Belgrave and the like.
Silvan might eventually slide to their expected(?) level back in 2nd Div, but the spend will not destroy them completely. They've already survived for nearly a century because they can.

I think the difference, Monniehawk, is the calibre of player they recruited and the arrogance that went with it (let's face it, they didn't mind telling us how good they were). Still, the upside was exposure they bought to the league. Interesting that you note how Upwey have done it in the past and again this season, but no-one raises an eyebrow. Perhaps because they have always been a strong club has something to do with it. I appreciate that there is flaws in any system that the league introduces, but under the current points system there will always be a club that will do "a Silvan."

Probably right Monniehawk, but I'd suggest the complete arrogance that certain individuals within side have shown has rubbed many an individual and club up the wrong way. As you said, they weren't the first, and they won't be the last to spend money to win a flag as it is basically a given that to win a premieship, a certain amount of spending and recruiting must be done. No doubt the attention will swing to another side soon, and same conversations will be had about them.

You make some valid points MonnieHawk on previous spending spree's by clubs, however.....

Every one of those clubs you've mentioned has "ALWAYS" invested in its kids as well. Silvan, yet again have no U18 side and I'm not sure of the efforts of the past to try and kick start Junior programs.

My personal arguements with Silvan people have been aimed solely in this direction. I'm not sure of the money spent on footballers since 2002ish but I'm tipping a tenth of it could have and should have been directed towards making the club more sustainable long term. Investing money and time into projects and initiatives to create a junior club perhaps, something to help secure the clubs longterm future. Especially with the recruits they have/had, the success they have had, the club has never had a better opportunity to do this. This alternate way was always going to end abruptly.

And as for the mention of giving the club a higher profile, well, do you think these guys travelled from the North Western suburbs because they love the place ? If the money incentive has dissapeared, the attraction has gone and so has any profile.

I have no issue with clubs buying players in, at whatever the cost, if they have worked hard or have significant sponsors to make it work, all the very best to them. Your kids and your local players are what make it work though. Without them, you are nothing !

TEES out !

Tees, I know they have definately spent money over the years trying to attract 18's. Whether it be with subs, footy kit, boots etc but maybe you have a valid point re starting juniors from U10's-16's. But do you think money could fix that??? I just dont see the structure of a township to help support these teams. Where do you get the kids for 4-5 junior teams (100+ kids) from the area around silvan. You could throw millions at it but there is not enough families with this age kids in that area & only a very small primary school.
Also those people quickly righting them off into oblivion, should be careful. Most cats I know have 9 lives & the list I see playing most weeks still looks pretty handy to me - treat them with contempt & you may pay for it. Clubs with a poor support network are the ones that tend to struggle, what has been displayed over the last 5 years is that Silvan have built this area of the club & this gives them a good foundation. Lets see what happens...

Well the bye is upon us and I thought it would be good for people to post their thoughts on the season so far surprises, dissapointments, best players, side etc here a a few of mine

Surprises - The dramatic improvement of divvy 2 sides Seville, YJ and Yea have been down near the bottom last couple of years but now in the top half and seem to be pushing for finals berths this year. Also Silvans ( well talked about ) slide in divvy 1 and final one is ease that Upwey and Olinda have brushed aside opponents in both divisions

Dissapointments - Gembrook had big wraps on them before the season but so far haven't really fired yet, Belgrave continued slide in divvy 2 and the two former powerhouse clubs of divvy 2 Alex and TE both winless. Who has played against these sides and what are your thoughts ?

Surprises - The dramatic improvement of divvy 2 sides Seville, YJ and Yea have been down near the bottom last couple of years but now in the top half and seem to be pushing for finals berths this year. Also Silvans ( well talked about ) slide in divvy 1 and final one is ease that Upwey and Olinda have brushed aside opponents in both divisions

Dissapointments - Gembrook had big wraps on them before the season but so far haven't really fired yet, Belgrave continued slide in divvy 2 and the two former powerhouse clubs of divvy 2 Alex and TE both winless. Who has played against these sides and what are your thoughts ?[/quote]

Olinda - Flying, seem to have recruited well, looks like they don't want to stay in 2nd divvy.
Seville - definitely looking good, only loss to OFCFC at Olinda and in front at half time.
YJ - going well.
Yea - improved.
Belgrave - cant see how they can improve.
T/E - Haven't won a game so far but not far off, their largest loss against OFCFC at Olinda, 39 points. 3 games to go in first 1/2 of season, could win 2 of these and will be better in second half of season.

----------INTERLEAGUE--------

what are the rules regarding players who are selected to play inter-league but did not play last weekend?
were their any noticeable names who did not play on the weekend who would have been picked for the interleague?

Where do you get the kids for 4-5 junior teams (100+ kids) from the area around silvan. You could throw millions at it but there is not enough families with this age kids in that area & only a very small primary school.

Very true, the Primary school only has a bout 40 kids. No way they could sustain a junior footy club.

Monbulk has a much larger population yet can not field teams in 13's and 15's, which leads to very uneven competition. Yarra Junction fell over at the last minute as well.

I wouldn't expect them to field a whole junior club straight away, but, they could try and identify an age group in the area that is strong in numbers and start from there.

There could be 25 kids under 10 years of age in the area for all we know, what a brilliant starting point. There are kids going to schools in different areas that could be tapped into.

Its no different to us over the years losing kids from Ferny Creek and Tremont down to Upwey and Belgrave Footy Clubs because they're at Upwey High School. There's got to be kids in the area who can make the beginnings of a footy club.

Silvan has more people than we do, they don't have a high school like us, they have a Primary School with 40-50 kids (?), ours currently only has 15-20. If we can make it work then I'm sure that something can be done at Silvan no matter how small they start !

IF they really want to !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For heaven's sake! Is Silvan the first club ever to go on a buying spree? NO! My two clubs Monbulk ('83) & Upwey (late 70's, 80's, 90's and now currently). Then a brief selection of others -Seville mid 90's, Gembrook late '80's, Warby 2000, Healesville '88, and so on. I can already hear the cries of denial and how "all those boys were 'home grown" or 'played for jumper loyalty' -nothing ever changes. A club works hard to get into a position to bolster it's stocks and everyone else cries 'foul!'. Virtually everyone has done it, but some (Upwey?) manage it far better than others.
As for Silvan being damned to oblivion, why not put the same curse on all others who have looked to improve their stocks. Wouldn't be too much left of the league!!
And what's so clever about seeing the obvious? We all knew that Silvan couldn't sustain a top side for ever - but now, they have had their 15 minutes in the sun and good on 'em. Kicked a few big guns' butts, and in the process gave hope to the minnows like Powelltown, Kinglake, Belgrave and the like.
Silvan might eventually slide to their expected(?) level back in 2nd Div, but the spend will not destroy them completely. They've already survived for nearly a century because they can.

Its more to do with the under the table deals and constructing comittee numbers so that anybody involved with a difference of opinion to that of the financial backers cannot have a say in the decisions at the club. People who actually cared about the long term future of the club have been pushed out the door due to greed. This is the reason why many people will gloat at the clubs demise. Quite frankly they have brought on themselves.

I wouldn't expect them to field a whole junior club straight away, but, they could try and identify an age group in the area that is strong in numbers and start from there.

To be part of the competion they would have to enter 10's 12's 14's & 16's. They are the "core" teams and the minimum requirement.

I live in Silvan and I know that that is not possible, unless they were to raid other junior clubs. And I think we all know how that kind of activity goes down.

We moved here about 3 years ago, and would have been happy for our kids to play at the local oval; it would be a fantastic venue for junior footy. Seeing as that was not possible they settled into Monbulk Juniors and we are more than happy with the way things have turned out.

There could be 25 kids under 10 years of age in the area for all we know, what a brilliant starting point. There are kids going to schools in different areas that could be tapped into.

Its no different to us over the years losing kids from Ferny Creek and Tremont down to Upwey and Belgrave Footy Clubs because they're at Upwey High School. There's got to be kids in the area who can make the beginnings of a footy club.

Silvan has more people than we do, they don't have a high school like us, they have a Primary School with 40-50 kids (?), ours currently only has 15-20. If we can make it work then I'm sure that something can be done at Silvan no matter how small they start !

IF they really want to !

Silvan might have more people than Olinda, but when you add in Kalorama, Mount Dandenong, Sassafras and Ferny Creek I'm pretty sure the numbers would go the other way. The total numbers at the four primary schools up there must add up to a bit too.

Having said that, I couldn't agree more with you TeeS. You've got to start somewhere. I'm sure that all junior clubs went through a lot of ups and downs in their formative years. I imagine that if they had of used their "recruits" to try to attract kids and start a junior program they would have won a lot of respect (and maybe a few juniors).

Please dont defend Silvan its blatantly transperent. Silvan build there side on one mans money and will pay the price. They had no problem waving there money in the face of local clubs players to poach them. The Upwey Warburton 2000 and Monbulk examples are poor at best in comparison as all these clubs would of had at least 75% locals with the top of the standard with most country clubs. In fact Warburton had only Winmar in 2000 that hadnt played Wesburn juniors.

On the subject of juniors how to Powelly get unders? Through hard work hundreds of calls and countless letters thats how. No sympathy here for Silvan now all you mouths in the twos for the last three years stand up and produce.

...And from about 30 square kilometres not serviced by another club. :cool:

Yes your right that 30km of uninhabited bush between Powelltown and Noojee has produced some quality footballers!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Or do you mean the 30kms of forest between them and Gembrook???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh maybe those massive housing developments between there and Three Bridges????:):)

Yes your right that 30km of uninhabited bush between Powelltown and Noojee has produced some quality footballers!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Or do you mean the 30kms of forest between them and Gembrook???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh maybe those massive housing developments between there and Three Bridges????:):)
NOCHANCE you obviously use a Melways and know the area-Moquo must use one of those UBD Directories-he certainly has no idea

YVMDFL FOOTBALL WRAP May 16, 2009

With a bye coming up this round, YVMDFL supporters are reminded of the big inter-league game on Saturday when the YVMDFL tackle Bellarine Football League at Woori Yallock. In a big day, netball kicks off at 11am, under 18s 11.30am with seniors starting at 2pm. Bellarine are a formidable opponent with all games expected to be close & hard fought contests.

In cold, but dry conditions last Saturday, most YVMDFL results went according to plan as Mt Evelyn stamped themselves as a viable finals contender after comfortably accounting for Healesville. Mt Evelyn's win at home was over the previously undefeated Healesville, 21.16.142 to 11.7.73. Mt Evelyn never looked in trouble from the outset as they kicked 6 goals to 3 in the first quarter and then increased their lead at every change for the rest of the game. Mt Evelyn's Christopher Murphy's 9 goals was the highlight of the game as he couldn't be stopped. John Dalton was best a field with great support from Benjamin Farrugia and Steven Tesoriero. For Healesville Lachlan Arthurson, Peter Monk and Daniel Nugent were amongst the best with Jye Conrau doing well in front of goals booting 4.

Woori Yallock continued their good form with a 58 point win over the winless Alexandra 16.20.116 to 9.4.58. Woori never looked in danger and at half held a 51 point lead, inaccurate kicking costing them a bigger margin. Alex came out in the 3rd and booted 5 goals to 2 in their best quarter of footy to date this season. Woori proved in the last quarter they are a quality side as they steadied kicking 6 goals to 2 to run out comfortable winners. Woori's Danny Hyndman , Michael King and Tim Williamson were their sides best with Mitchell Bonuda doing a fine job in front of goals kicking 5. For Alexandra Corey Jack, James Kidd and Adam Oakleigh all played well.

Warburton Millgrove at home took on Wandin and had to fight hard for their 22 point win. Warby 18.13.121 def Wandin 14.15.99. Wandin will be ruing their 2nd quarter where they had their chances but kicked 3.6, Warburton on the other hand took their opportunities and kicked an incredible 8 goals straight. Warby held a 43 point lead at the main change but Wandin weren't going to let this game be a blowout. Wandin outplayed and outscored their opponents in the 2nd half but Warby's lead was too great to overcome. Warby's Liam Barnard was superb with good support from Tim Mckail and David Swankie. Scott Muir continued his good form in front of goal kicking 6. Wandin's best was Daniel King closely followed by Geoffrey Bartling, Simon Larkman and Simon Young (4 goals).

Monbulk have been playing superb football in recent weeks and it continued against Gembrook Cockatoo as they won by a massive 128 points. Monbulk 29.15.189 def Gembrook Cockatoo 9.7.61. Gembrook did battle hard all day but Monbulk were just far too superior with their fitness and skills. The highlight of the day was Monbulk's 11 goals to 1 last quarter where they just blew the opposition away. Monbulk's Michael Hughson was superb kicking 7 goals, Luke McCormick, Tom Wright and Dean White were all excellent. For Gembrook Matthew O'Neill, Shannon Richardson and Ricky Causer battled out the 4 quarters.

Upwey have been in sparkling form and Silvan found out just how good they are. Upwey travelled to Silvan and smashed the reigning premiers by a huge 125 points. 31.23.209 to 13.6.84 Silvan had no answers as Upwey ran riot. A 9 goal to 3 2nd quarter set up the win for Upwey but it was the 11 goal to 2 final quarter that put the icing on the cake. This was a fantastic team effort from Upwey. Best players were Lucas Matthews, Joshua Kamoen (5goals), Sean Hunt and Steven Brotja. Christopher Hayes was excellent kicking 7 goals. For the Cat's Owen Weatherly, Marc Bullen (3 goals), David Bissell and Jake Straughair were amongst their best.

In second division, Yarra Glen got back on the winners list as they travelled to Belgrave and came away with a gutsy 18 point win. Yarra Glen 15.15.105 def Belgrave 12.15.87 Yarra Glen set up the win in the 1st half kicking 11 goals to 5 to take a 6 goal lead into half time. Belgrave threw everything at their opponents in the 2nd half and did bridge the gap in the final term giving Yarra Glen a minor fright. The Thunder did hold on bravely to record their 2nd win and keep their season alive.

Thornton Eildon had the huge task of taking on Olinda Ferny Creek at Olinda. Thornton are still yet to breakthrough for a win this season and unfortunately for them it wasn't against the inform Olinda side. Final scores Olinda 19.19.133 def Thornton 14.10.94 Olinda were pretty much in control for most of the game as they went into the 3 quarter time break 47 points up, but they certainly weren't as dominant as they have been in previous weeks. The last quarter belonged to Thornton as they outscored Olinda 5 goals to 3 and they will be hopeful they can take that form into next week and breakthrough for their first win. Olinda's best: Scott Tregoning, David Noorda (3 goals) and Ryan Davis. Blake Walter continues his good form in front of the big sticks kicking 5. For Thornton David Creed, Brandon Kapakoulakis, Nicholas Hudson and Shane Parker did their best to keep their side in touch.

Kinglake travelled to Powelltown and came away with a big win. Kinglake 23.18.156 defeated Powelltown 12.5.77. 8 goals to 2 by Kinglake in the 1st quarter followed by a 7 goals to 4 2nd term set up the victory. The 2nd half was reasonably even with Kinglake outscoring Powelltown by only 21 points as both teams played a hard tough brand of footy. Kinglake's best was Mathew Thomas who helped himself to 6 goals, Cameron Scott was great all day as to was Matthew Howard kicking 5. For Powelltown Brett Millane, Luke Darwell (3 goals) and Lindon Walker showed great fight to play the game out to the end.

Seville is always a hard team to beat on their home ground and Emerald found out just that. Final Scores: Seville 11.16.82 defeated Emerald 7.3.45 Seville was in complete control of this game as Emerald just couldn't mount a challenge. The low point of this game was a terrible 3rd quarter which Seville didn't score a goal but managed 5 points, Emerald weren't much better kicking 1.1 to outscore their opponents by 2 points. If not for inaccurate kicking Seville should have won this game by 10 goals plus. Seville will be happy to get the win but will have to be a lot more polished with their skills if they are going to challenge the likes of Olinda. Best players for Seville: Dean Troyahn, Paul Bailey, Aaron Scattergood and Brent Pereira. For Emerald: Reece Pepi, James Marshall, Jesse Mather and Alexander Hellriegel.

Yea travelled to Yarra Junction full of confidence after 2 wins on the trot. Junction made sure it wasn't going to be 3 in a row as they won by a big margin. Final scores: Yarra Junction 17.21.123 defeated Yea 6.15.51. Yea have been terrific in front of goals in their last 2 matches kicking an incredibly accurate 26.5. Unfortunately for Yea their accuracy eluded them against Junction as they could only manage 1.6 to half time as the Eagles booted 7.13. Both teams wasted numerous opportunities but it was always going to be Junction's game as they were a lot sharper and should have easily won by a bigger margin. Best Players for Junction: Hugh Wadsworth, Brad Charman, David Lever (5 goals) and Tyson Wheeler (5 goals). Yea's Best: James Clavarino, Chris Graham, Thomas Marriott and Patrick McKenna

Nearly as many footballers as Silvan Dam and 5 skm of Orchards??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Good to see that those kiddies are travelling 30 kms for a kick though, must have been amazing letters!!!!;)

I know of 3 kids from Silvan that play for Monbulk (2 are mine), and one kid from Silvan that plays for Wandin. There might be two or three that I've missed though.

Are you suggesting poaching, or a massive breeding program? :p

To be part of the competion they would have to enter 10's 12's 14's & 16's. They are the "core" teams and the minimum requirement.

Not quite true. Yarra JUnction only fielded two of those this year.

I don't quite understand it, but this is in the clearances section:

Silvan Football Club. Yarra Junior Football League. Moorcroft, Gary Denied 10/04/09 17/04/09

I think he coaches his kid or a junior team in that league

Spot on Monniehawk & Cagga,clubs have been recruiting players with all sorts of means for years, & not one club is going to win the flag year after year,thats what makes the game so great,the key is when a club is in the position to recruit players they pick ones that suit thier club & the players already there, plenty of clubs,Silvan included have recruited high priced players who haven't performed, but thats the nature of the beast. And Cagga your right we do work realy hard to keep our kids, but every year you lose kids to things like over age,soccer,basketball,playstation, girls,one of thier mates plays somewhere so they go to, or they just don't wanna play footy anymore, so it realy is a year to year proposition for us & a great concern,but next year we will be working overtime to get our unders back on the field. Thanks for your constructive comments. Allan Webb is a very successful bussiness man & has been for a very long time & he has done a huge amount of things to help a lot of people out, like employment,financial assistance,transport,medical bills aswell as donating alot of time and money to the thing most dear to his heart The SILVAN Football Club.Which he became a life member of in the early ninety's,well before his business took off.He also is the major sponsor of the YVMDFL and has been for many years.He has helped us create one of the best leagues in Country Victoria,he is certainly one person that i like to have in my corner, and a person i am proud to known for the last 25 years.But theres always going to be jealous poeple & people who try and take advantage of Allan or can't see how much he does for them,and like to bag him at every oppotunity.

People like Nochance,Lemonchicken, and the best of them all Chicken Legs,he's a ripper Chicken Legs.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX He doesn't know any of the great people at SILVAN or even been to the club, yet at any chance he gets he jumps on the forum a & bags SILVAN or Allan,he needs to buy a full length mirror & have good hard look at himself! As for that other XXXX Nochance The SILVAN Football club will be around for a very very long time to come, & we will be celabrating many more successful seasons as well as the not so successful years, to suggest that there are under the table deals going on between board members is just mud raking, our commitie & board members are very hard working a passionate people working towards the successful future of our club & the bond between them has never been stronger! One thing you can be asured of is that The SILVAN Football Club won't begrudge any club to having similar

[deleted last para]

Alot of people are jumping on the wagon kicking Silvan, i wouldnt go to early on thinking its all over they have a fair side and Big Owen has only just got back from injury. Im not sure the senior football club is responsable to build a junior football club from nothing then haveing people think its moraly wrong to pump money into seniors, and with no population growth i dont think kiddies are banging down the doors to play there. Even at well established junior clubs they have problems fielding sides at different stages. If Webb didnt put the money in, the league would have missed out on haveing some very good players and some of the best games this competion has seen. Its good for our local players to play against the Haynes,Moorecroft,Bullen,Hennamen,Powell and it creates local interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back