Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2013 - A Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could throw Fraser Fort and Michael Apeness in with O'Sullivan as that next group too. Later tonight I might look at adding some more names and profiles for the KPPs, seems like all the focus in on the midfielders at the moment. There are also quite a few guys around the 190cm mark, who would be good second/third talls - a fully fit Dallas Willsmore for example is a top 30 player.

Tom Cutler is another around the Willsmore height that is a very good player. Very mobile and so will probably be a third tall defender in the AFL but one of the better performed tall defenders at the moment.

Apeness is an interesting one, would make a good rookie project. Good size, good athlete and takes some great contested marks but is not a very good kick and has his share of quiet games.

Hey Chris25, just asking about Jye Cross from Geelong Falcons, do you see him getting drafted this year?

Tom Cutler is another around the Willsmore height that is a very good player. Very mobile and so will probably be a third tall defender in the AFL but one of the better performed tall defenders at the moment.

Apeness is an interesting one, would make a good rookie project. Good size, good athlete and takes some great contested marks but is not a very good kick and has his share of quiet games.

Tom Cutler and Jonathon Marsh were the other two I was thinking of. There are some good players around that size, and the great thing is that they can all run. So being that 190cm height isn't such a disadvantage. If I was a team like Melbourne, I'd be looking at the likes of Willsmore and Reynolds with my second round selection - they have the size and strength to be targets going forward, but the athleticism to play midfield too. Jye Cross, as mentioned, is another. Not quite as attacking and versatile as others, but has shown good strength and the ability to play taller. He is giving himself every chance to get drafted with his defensive performances so far.

In terms of Apeness, he is the classic rookie pick up. Has the size and strength that clubs would be looking at, just needs the polish. Doubt he'll ever really hold down a KPP spot, but he holds value in that he can plug a hole up forward, down back or through the ruck. Think Ryan Simister will end up being in the same boat.

I'm not a big fan of the top 50 ranking lists. Comparing different positions just isn't going to work, it's best to look at them separately. And at this early stage, I'd be ranking them very broadly. So in terms of the KPPs, I'd only have three with a first round grade at the moment - Boyd, Hourigan and Gardiner. But Tickner and Giles would have a second round grade from me, with the potential for improvement. And I'd have a similar third round grade on the likes of Conlon, McCarthy and Spencer. Few guys could go either way over the next few months.

Pretty happy to hear the positive outlook for KPP's and hope we draft a couple. It seems really difficult to get a decent rating for them. Very happy, for example, to have Taberner on our rookie list from the last draft, but would have been happy enough to have taken him 2nd round.

Connor O'Sullivanis another that I've been impressed with both at CHF and CHB at times this year for the Ranges. Big body and very good ground skills.
How big is O'Sullivan?

Suppose it all depends on the team and what their structure is. I'd be pretty confident in picking Hourigan, even if he was only a second tall. Would still be worth it.

Speaking of KPPs, there are still a number out there in the U18s who nobody is talking about. I would rate Cameron Gilesas quite possibly the second best KPD in the draft behind Gardiner.
And same question for Hourigan and Giles, even though Hourigan's a FF apparently. Lets face it, the Saints need big-bodied, 196cm-plus KPDs and need them ready to play sooner rather than later, preferably now.

What can you tell me about Michael Apeness, Jed Redden or Ryan Simister?

O'Sullivan - 196cm, 92kg
Giles - 195cm, 93kg
Hourigan - 190cm, 92kg

I'll get back to you on Apeness, Simister and Redden (and Mitch Harvey) when I have more time.

Apeness - 199cm and 101kg
Simister - 195cm and 100kg
Jed Redden - 198cm and 87kg
Mitch Harvey - 195cm and 97 kg

Apeness - 199cm and 101kg
Simister - 195cm and 100kg
Jed Redden - 198cm and 87kg
Mitch Harvey - 195cm and 97 kg

**** me. Apeness is a monster! Any chop?

Looks like he plays a KPF, rather than a KPD, or was that just in the apparent absence of Boyd?

T
**** me. Apeness is a monster! Any chop?

Looks like he plays a KPF, rather than a KPD, or was that just in the apparent absence of Boyd?

Too early to tell about his draft projection. All I know is that he's averaging around 11 touches, 4 marks and 1 goal in his TAC Cup games... My opinion he should be more dominant with his AFL-like frame. Dominated in each of his VIC trials so I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in the Champs.

My opinion... Go send a letter to the St Kilda board and ask them to tank hard for Tom Boyd haha. I'd rather see him at the Saints than at GWS!

T

Too early to tell about his draft projection. All I know is that he's averaging around 11 touches, 4 marks and 1 goal in his TAC Cup games... My opinion he should be more dominant with his AFL-like frame. Dominated in each of his VIC trials so I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in the Champs.

My opinion... Go send a letter to the St Kilda board and ask them to tank hard for Tom Boyd haha. I'd rather see him at the Saints than at GWS!

Oh trust me, I'm doing all I can. And I think Scotty is listening.

Is Apeness a forward though? It looks that way. Cos we really REALLY need KPDs

Oh trust me, I'm doing all I can. And I think Scotty is listening.

Is Apeness a forward though? It looks that way. Cos we really REALLY need KPDs

Haha, he's clearly a KPF. He's won more of his disposals in the forward line for sure and is definitely a KPF. Correct in regards to Boyd. I think they are just trying him out in the backline as Boyd plays like TWO forwards. It's scary to watch!

What can you tell me about Michael Apeness, Jed Redden or Ryan Simister?

Michael Apeness is a key forward/ruckman as already mentioned, but I'd only have him as a rookie prospect. He is strong overhead, but I'm not sure he quite nails down a particular position at the next level. Kicking can also be a little suspect, so doesn't always make the most of his chances. He can move for a big guy though, so I think size alone may be enough to land him on a rookie list.

Ryan Simister is another similar type, although at this stage he is more ruckman than KPP. Unfortunately, he is only 195cm. Which is a shame, because his ruck work is actually really quite good. He is also reasonably athletic for someone pushing 100kg. What he really needs to do is play as a permanent KPP in the SANFL, but that just wont happen. He'll be another rookie prospect.

Jed Redden is one key defender I like, and his standing will largely depend on opportunity with the SA team in the Championships. I'd like to see him come in against the Division 1 sides, and give us a bit more height down back. Giles is the #1 guy, but Redden should be that second tall defender in my opinion. Has the size, and has shown he can rebound in the SANFL too. If you wanted a project 198cm defender, he'd be a good one to look at.

And although you didn't mention him, I'll add Mitch Harvey to the mix (just because I like talking about him). He is a really strong marking full forward from SA. Is largely able to outmuscle most of his opponents, but has had a couple of 20+ disposal games when given a chance further up the ground so he isn't all about strength. Kicked 4 goals against NSW. But he is a similar size to the others you mentioned, although not a defender.

say Jydon Neagle performs to that level for the remainder of the champs, how does that effect his outlook?

Is he still going to be looked at as a fringe prospect, or could he shoot up like a thurlow or lonergan (obviously going that high is a massive stretch) but is going in the 2nd or 3rd round ala lachie hunter a possibility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Chris, how seniors-ready is Mitch Harvey? And is he suited to play as a stay at home contested marking forward? Brisbane could use one of those...

Michael Apeness is a key forward/ruckman as already mentioned, but I'd only have him as a rookie prospect. He is strong overhead, but I'm not sure he quite nails down a particular position at the next level. Kicking can also be a little suspect, so doesn't always make the most of his chances. He can move for a big guy though, so I think size alone may be enough to land him on a rookie list.

Ryan Simister is another similar type, although at this stage he is more ruckman than KPP. Unfortunately, he is only 195cm. Which is a shame, because his ruck work is actually really quite good. He is also reasonably athletic for someone pushing 100kg. What he really needs to do is play as a permanent KPP in the SANFL, but that just wont happen. He'll be another rookie prospect.

Jed Redden is one key defender I like, and his standing will largely depend on opportunity with the SA team in the Championships. I'd like to see him come in against the Division 1 sides, and give us a bit more height down back. Giles is the #1 guy, but Redden should be that second tall defender in my opinion. Has the size, and has shown he can rebound in the SANFL too. If you wanted a project 198cm defender, he'd be a good one to look at.

And although you didn't mention him, I'll add Mitch Harvey to the mix (just because I like talking about him). He is a really strong marking full forward from SA. Is largely able to outmuscle most of his opponents, but has had a couple of 20+ disposal games when given a chance further up the ground so he isn't all about strength. Kicked 4 goals against NSW. But he is a similar size to the others you mentioned, although not a defender.
Ta mate, outstanding as usual

Hi Chris, how seniors-ready is Mitch Harvey? And is he suited to play as a stay at home contested marking forward? Brisbane could use one of those...

I'm a big Harvey fan, but I wouldn't say he is ready made. He may be big and strong, but he still has more to learn in regards to the finer aspects of being a full forward - positioning, using his body and the like. There is a reason he isn't talked about as an early pick. Unless you're a freak like a Patton/Boyd or super athletic like say Paparone, it's not very often you'll debut early as a KPF.

But yes, he is suited to playing that role.

say Jydon Neagle performs to that level for the remainder of the champs, how does that effect his outlook?

Is he still going to be looked at as a fringe prospect, or could he shoot up like a thurlow or lonergan (obviously going that high is a massive stretch) but is going in the 2nd or 3rd round ala lachie hunter a possibility?

I would consider such a jump to be unlikely. A strong Championships could see him rise from rookie to late national draft pick, but I imagine that would be about it.

I've talked about Voigt a bit in the South Australian thread, and I do like him. Still think both he and Luke Andruszkiewicz were unlucky to miss selection for the Championships. Like so many others, the fact that he has been playing as a ruckman in the SANFL has possibly hurt him. Had he played at CHB all season, then maybe there would have been a spot for him.

Certainly one to look at come the rookie draft, would be worse options than a 195cm defender who can run through the ruck/middle.

I've talked about Voigt a bit in the South Australian thread, and I do like him. Still think both he and Luke Andruszkiewicz were unlucky to miss selection for the Championships. Like so many others, the fact that he has been playing as a ruckman in the SANFL has possibly hurt him. Had he played at CHB all season, then maybe there would have been a spot for him.

Certainly one to look at come the rookie draft, would be worse options than a 195cm defender who can run through the ruck/middle.

I've noticed this a bit. It simply can't be good for their physical development, let alone positional learning or things that help you become a better footballer. Just because they're tall doesn't mean they are natural ruckman, and probably hinders their development IMO.

Hey Chris what's the chances of Zac Bates being picked up?

He'd more than likely be a late pick, but he'd be a good one. I've said a fair bit about him as a small forward/midfielder, he is really clean and smart around goals.

Yes, yes you should. Would help get through the bye round this weekend. :thumbsu:

Check the OP then. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back