Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2013 - A Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine. I'll take it down then.

Haha only kidding. Interesting order. Seems as though a few of the guys you've talked up are down the list. Wilson, Reynolds, Conlon. Just to give it a different feel or you like a few others as the year has progressed?

Pretty happy with Dumont. Wasley-Black possibly won't be available and I think Reynolds could be a good fit for us. A couple of SA boys over together. Having said that we prefer to recruit from AFL clubs in SA rather than SANFL teams. :p

I'm a big fan of Wilson and Reynolds, nothing has changed there. But realistically, I don't expect them to be go top 10 or anything quite at this stage. Not to say it couldn't happen, but 15-25 and 20-40 seems more to be their ranges at the moment. So it's more just that than anything else.

As for Hartung, I often underrate the sub-180cm players, so maybe I'm not the best to ask. But I do quite like what he does, top 10 isn't out of the equation - bit like Prestia in that sense. He can do pretty much everything, goes forward and runs literally all day through the midfield. His skills and game sense are top 10 worthy, it's just that I personally love big midfielders. Which is why I probably overrate Bontempelli.

how is dunstans pace and kicking?

port has a great deal of one paced mids and ok kicking skills. if not it doesnt rule him out, we could use a clean skilled inside player too, but we do need to bring some more speed and skills into our midfield somehow.

ports drafting has been spot on the last few years (for a change), but in saying that they have all basically picked themselves. bit of luck of the draw in players falling at the right pick. be interesting to see how they go this year.

good to see giles climbing up the ladder, port needs a key defender 194cm+. we have a wealth of backmen from 189cm- 193cm.

great to see so much good sa talent

Round 1

1. GWS - Matthew Scharenberg (190cm, 89kg utility - Glenelg)
2. Melbourne - James Aish (183cm, 74kg midfielder - Norwood)
3. St Kilda - Tom Boyd (199cm, 102kg forward - Eastern Ranges)
4. Brisbane - Matthew Crouch (181cm, 80kg midfielder - North Ballarat)
5. Western Bulldogs - Ben Lennon (187cm, 79kg utility - Northern Knights)
6. Gold Coast - Marcus Bontempelli (191cm, 83kg midfielder - Northern Knights)
7. North Melbourne - Luke McDonald (188cm, 80kg utility - Oakleigh)
8. Port Adelaide - Luke Dunstan (185cm, 83kg midfielder - Woodville)
9. West Coast - Dayle Garlett (181cm, 76kg midfielder - Swan Districts)
10. GWS - Darcy Gardiner (192cm, 84kg defender - Geelong)
11. Collingwood - Josh Kelly (182cm, 73kg midfielder - Sandringham)
12. Richmond - Trent Dumont (185cm, 83kg midfielder - Norwood)
13. Carlton - Christian Salem (183cm, 82kg midfielder - Sandringham)
14. Essendon - Jack Billings (183cm, 78kg midfielder - Oakleigh)
15. Fremantle - Darcy Hourigan (190cm, 92kg forward - South Adelaide)
16. Sydney - Isaiah Miller (187cm, 82kg utility - Bendigo)
17. Geelong - Dom Sheed (183cm, 82kg midfielder - Subiaco)
18. Hawthorn - Eli Templeton (182cm, 67kg midfielder - Burnie)
19. Gold Coast - Lewis Taylor (173cm, 73kg midfielder - Geelong)

Round 2

20. GWS - Dwayne Wilson (178cm, 75kg midfielder - Sturt)
21. Melbourne - Nathan Freeman (181cm, 85kg midfielder - Sandringham)
22. St Kilda - Kade Kolodjashnij (188cm, 76kg utility - Launceston)
23. Brisbane - Cain Tickner (194cm, 91kg utility - Aspley)
24. Western Bulldogs - Blake Acres (188cm, 84kg midfielder - West Perth)
25. Gold Coast - Clayton McCartney (176cm, 70kg forward - Dandenong)
26. North Melbourne - Billy Hartung (176cm, 71kg midfielder - Dandenong)
27. Port Adelaide - Cameron Giles (195cm, 93kg defender - Woodville)
28. West Coast - Patrick Cripps (188cm, 88kg midfielder - East Fremantle)
29. Adelaide - Alex Spina (181cm, 74kg midfielder - North Adelaide)
30. Collingwood - Dallas Willsmore (190cm, 81kg utility - North Ballarat)
31. Richmond - Erinn Wasley Black (187cm, 78kg utility - NT Thunder)
32. Carlton - Nicholas Bourke (187cm, 76kg utility - Geelong)
33. Essendon - Malcolm Karpany (175cm, 71kg forward - Woodville)
34. Fremantle - Cameron McCarthy (195cm, 89kg forward - South Fremantle)
35. Sydney - Luke Reynolds (188cm, 86kg forward - Port Adelaide)
36. Geelong - Jason Cooke (183cm, 79kg midfielder - Calder Cannons)
37. Hawthorn - Cameron Conlon (198cm, 87kg forward - Northern Knights)

Good work with the new order Chris :thumbsu:

Some of the picks I reckon you've got pretty well spot on are Scharenberg at one, Lennon to the Bulldogs, Kelly at 11 which is much more realistic than some of the other thoughts I've seen about him, Salem at which is spot on, Hourigan at 15, Taylor and Wilson both pretty realistic placements and McCarthy to Freo at 34 is a good pick. I think I like the Crouch to Brisbane pick too.

A bit low I think are Reynolds who is too good and has too many good attributes to last until 35, Sheed who although there are some question marks over is still a very good player doing everything right and Billings will probably go much higher as a guy who can often win or control games off his own boot.

I think Bontempelli is still too high, good player with good attributes but there are guys consistently having a much greater impact than him.

I'm a big fan of Wilson and Reynolds, nothing has changed there. But realistically, I don't expect them to be go top 10 or anything quite at this stage. Not to say it couldn't happen, but 15-25 and 20-40 seems more to be their ranges at the moment. So it's more just that than anything else.

As for Hartung, I often underrate the sub-180cm players, so maybe I'm not the best to ask. But I do quite like what he does, top 10 isn't out of the equation - bit like Prestia in that sense. He can do pretty much everything, goes forward and runs literally all day through the midfield. His skills and game sense are top 10 worthy, it's just that I personally love big midfielders. Which is why I probably overrate Bontempelli.

Wilson would be an interesting one come our pick tbh depending on where we finish (Finals or not). Our midfield is coming a long nicely. Still needs some quality depth. But we really need a quality user on the outside with pace. However, our record with indigenous kids is horrible so that could be a risk from our end.

Could be a smoky with some of those bigger type of midfielders in the 2nd round. Someone like a Cripps as an inside mid could cap that area off.

I'm with you on the smaller mids. They don't seem appealing until they get into a club and just show everyone up with what they can do.

Surely garlett despite his talent won't be taken. 1st round? I would think 2nd onwards was more plausible given the Media focus on him. Would sheed be passed over by west coast? Would Kelly get taken at 10 by gws as they need outside leg speed/class more then inside grunt.

how is dunstans pace and kicking?

port has a great deal of one paced mids and ok kicking skills. if not it doesnt rule him out, we could use a clean skilled inside player too, but we do need to bring some more speed and skills into our midfield somehow.

I would consider Dunstan to be similar to Wines in style, and pace would be about the same. And although Dunstan isn't an elite kick, I'd have him a notch above Ollie in that department. I agree that Port need outside skill, but another ready made inside player would be hard to pass on. Would certainly fit with the Port Adelaide style.

A bit low I think are Reynolds who is too good and has too many good attributes to last until 35, Sheed who although there are some question marks over is still a very good player doing everything right and Billings will probably go much higher as a guy who can often win or control games off his own boot.

I think Bontempelli is still too high, good player with good attributes but there are guys consistently having a much greater impact than him.

I readily admit to overrating Bontempelli, he won't go as high as I've had him over the last month. Well, not yet at least. But in a few years, that's where I think people will be saying he should have been drafted.

As I said before, Sheed drops because of the level of players ahead of him. Chances are he won't make it out of the top 10, but there is just something that worries me. I wonder if he'll dominate at the next level or whether he will just be a solid 20 disposal guy. I don't think he really had any one elite attribute, he is just 'good' at everything. And Reynolds, well I just want to see how he goes in comparison to a few of the other medium forward/utility types.

Surely garlett despite his talent won't be taken. 1st round? I would think 2nd onwards was more plausible given the Media focus on him. Would sheed be passed over by west coast? Would Kelly get taken at 10 by gws as they need outside leg speed/class more then inside grunt.

If a team thinks he is ready this time around, then he certainly could go first round. Arguably the most talented guy in the draft, and on talent alone would go #1. Do you risk him getting to your second pick, if another team is also interested? But like I said, I can't comment on his attitude or anything of a personal nature.

As for Kelly, I just don't see him being of much value to GWS. They have enough long term development skinny wingmen, like Sumner and Hoskin Elliot. Better to stick it out with them and draft for another position, rather than add another 'project'. Hoarding quality talls instead is the path I'd go down.

What afl player is nathan freeman's game similar too?
thanks in advance

Maybe a Luke Shuey? Strong body and good in close, but deceptively quick out of the packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent most of last draft hoarding talls in plowman, corr, jaksch and Stewart. Plus we still have developing talls from the previous draft in frost, downie, Tomlinson as well as Bruce, Phillips, Davis, Patton, Cameron,etc. Would rather bolster the depth of ultra fast wingers with the way the game is trending towards higher paced gamestyles. Linebreaking mids and rucks are the positions in which we have the shallowest depth.

No he plays for west Adelaide and SA under 18s

Never mind, I'm a moron. I remember being impressed by him at the NSW v SA game and I was, but my memory got his name confused with Barrett.

Spent most of last draft hoarding talls in plowman, corr, jaksch and Stewart. Plus we still have developing talls from the previous draft in frost, downie, Tomlinson as well as Bruce, Phillips, Davis, Patton, Cameron,etc. Would rather bolster the depth of ultra fast wingers with the way the game is trending towards higher paced gamestyles. Linebreaking mids and rucks are the positions in which we have the shallowest depth.

In any case, I still probably wouldn't go for Kelly if I were GWS. I'd go for someone a little different to what they already have, maybe a Salem or Billings. Someone with a slightly stronger body, but still able to play that outside receiver role. Even a Taylor, Wilson or Hartung would be a good fit. Acres would be another one.

Thoughts on Ben Cavarra? Looks very similar to Hrovat last year. Think he'll push his way into the top 30 by the end of the year.

Chris, do you know how well Toby Nankervis tested at last year's combine? Particularly interested in his speed, leap, and endurance relative to other big men. I only have a vague hint that he "tested well", but more interested if he has a major deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back