Premiership Player
Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
aussies!!!
Last year IMO the big improver's were Clinton Young, Jordan Lewis, Jarryd Roughead, Ben Mglynn, and to some extent Tim Boyle.

Who do you guys think will really step up and cement a place in the 22? Muston, Thorp, Ellis all have the chance to become very good players with their careers and I'm hoping they can become the next breed of hawthorn's core group of players. We still have a young list and if some of the lesser known players can step up to the next level we could be a real show in 08:thumbsu:

I really like the look of Ellis but think that his improvement will come more gradually than the likes of Mcglynn and Lewis because he is a very different type of player. An inside mid like Lewis tends to burst on to the scene a bit because of their style of play whereas an outside player like Ellis tend to just steadily improve and improve over time as they grow. And if you have any doubts about Ellis just fast forward through the Adelaide thrashing we copped last year to the mark he took running back into the pack.

Of the others I would really like to see Birchall improve his midfield game. As much as I love him across the wings and half back lines, I really think his height and disposal would be a real asset. And I do recall him talking about wanting to spend more time in the mid like he did as a junior.

I really like the look of Ellis but think that his improvement will come more gradually than the likes of Mcglynn and Lewis because he is a very different type of player. An inside mid like Lewis tends to burst on to the scene a bit because of their style of play whereas an outside player like Ellis tend to just steadily improve and improve over time as they grow.

Ellis will come on in 2008. Hopefully the improvement in his frame that having a year in the system and another full pre-season will impact on his game this season. He may not have as much improvement this year as Mcglynn and Lewis, but that's to be expected with having been in the system only one year. The strength of their bodies will allow them to have more consistant performances over a longer period.

Of the others I would really like to see Birchall improve his midfield game. As much as I love him across the wings and half back lines, I really think his height and disposal would be a real asset. And I do recall him talking about wanting to spend more time in the mid like he did as a junior.

I'm happy for Birch to play the same sort of role this year as he did in '07. Our game plan revolves around having players with poise and skill on the HB flanks to set up our forward thrusts. It is important to have quality in this position to provide our impetus out of defence. And he fits the bill nicely.

Hoping Bailey,Thorp,Ellis,Muston and Dowler will all step up in 2008 C Rioli could surprise in 2008 aswell IMO the biggest improver's last year was Buddy followed closly by Lewis,Young,Mighty Mouse,Roughead & Gilham.Exciting times ahead with players fighting for positions a great position to be in!!:thumbsu:

Muston (but how long have we been saying this?)

A bit harsh there. Last season was his first after missing 18 months of football with two knee reconstrucitons. Most players take at least one playing season (in addition to one rehab season) to recover fully from a re-co (mentally and physically).

Ellis and Tuck for mine.

Maybe Thorp too given what he seems capable of.

Grant Birchall, Beau Dowler, Max Bailey, Xavier Ellis....basically the guys from the 2005 draft.

I believe Xavier Ellis will be best, also Thorp will come on.

One player not many of you are mentioning is Josh Kennedy. I think he will be a star. Let's not forget last year was his first full season playing after recovering from knee op while playing in the his last year of TAC.

Great bloodlines too, along with Tuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarryd Morton tends to get overlooked in these discussions but has been very solid on the training track.

For me, I'd really like to see Beau Dowler develop especially after some of the negative feedback. Dowler developing into a senior player opens up real options with the currrent squad between forward / back.

Gilham, McGlynn and Buddy were my big improvers last year.

You would expect Ellis to step up, then Tuck then Murphy. My bolter will be Stokes - already played senior footy and does not have direct opponent already entrenched in the side.

We need game time in about half our list to help them develop. This is the big challenge.

Gilham, McGlynn and Buddy were my big improvers last year.

You would expect Ellis to step up, then Tuck then Murphy. My bolter will be Stokes - already played senior footy and does not have direct opponent already entrenched in the side.

We need game time in about half our list to help them develop. This is the big challenge.

I am mates with a recruiter from another club and his assessment of Stokes was very good. He said he is highly regarded as tough and quick and to pick him up in rookie draft was a steel.

There is always someone who surprises.

Boyle was not expected (by the majority) to add anything this time last year. Then all of sudden he looked very comfortable at AFL level at times last year, even getting close to best on ground against Port in Port when he kicked 5.

I think that someone out of Ellis and Tuck will really step up, but I also think that someone from the Renouf, Morton, Moss group may surprise as well. It was a strong draft, and those guys were highly touted for different reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come from left field and make an impact.

We are in a very good position, of having a pretty good 22, along with having a large amount of young talent competing to get into the side.

I just hope that we keep improving as a group, doesn't have to be massive steps, but if a group of 8 young players take some steps at once, it can have a signicant effect on the group as a whole.

There is always someone who surprises.

Boyle was not expected (by the majority) to add anything this time last year. Then all of sudden he looked very comfortable at AFL level at times last year, even getting close to best on ground against Port in Port when he kicked 5.

I think that someone out of Ellis and Tuck will really step up, but I also think that someone from the Renouf, Morton, Moss group may surprise as well. It was a strong draft, and those guys were highly touted for different reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come from left field and make an impact.

We are in a very good position, of having a pretty good 22, along with having a large amount of young talent competing to get into the side.

I just hope that we keep improving as a group, doesn't have to be massive steps, but if a group of 8 young players take some steps at once, it can have a signicant effect on the group as a whole.

I totally agree! I have no doubt we will continue to improve as a group. You can just tell all the younger players like Tuck, Ellis, Bailey ect are biting at the bit to prove their worth!

I'm soooo psyched about what's going to happen this year! It's going to be scary sometimes!

*Jumps around flapping arms* :)

Ellis from outside the 22. But I'm expecting more improvement from players inside the 22 like Young and maybe Birchall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Youngsters that will step up a notch in 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back