Teams Your 2014 SC team Version 5.0 (Final adjustments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reckon I should downgrade Wingard?

Could always downgrade him to Gray. :p

Wingards a jet though and a match winner, knows how to kick a goal too. Reminds me of a young Chapman a bit.

Will take a look at your side now and give my advice. :thumbsu:

I agree that Wingard is a jet and may continue on his growth path and continue to spike up. However I have my doubts that he can increase much more scoring wise at the moment. He does have a lovely knack of getting himself into quality areas and looks to be a clutch player, regularly last season playing important roles late in games to get home to wins and subsequently earning big points bonuses. But be wary of this as this trait can come and go very quickly especially if his role changes even slightly. Will he be capable of producing those big numbers if he isn't getting those clutch moments, I still have some doubts. I'm not against him I just think buyer beware should be mentioned. Of course every chance I can be wrong and he can continue going up and up the ranks.

Just food for thought really. :)

Gray could be absolutely anything to be honest, first preseason in god knows how long and just seems to accumulate points for fun when he is on! :D

If you need the extra funds and depending on where you stand on what I mentioned above I guess Gray might pip Wingard slightly but Wingard sure is a beauty, kid is a star! :thumbsu:

Haha look forward to what you come back to me with pal. Had some pearler advice and dissections of some stuff i posted last year, so this should be interesting! :p :D

Good idea to start the new thread, for those of you playing at home, this is the current setup.

DEF: J.McVeigh, S.Mitchell, M.Hibberd, K.Simpson, J.Webster, L.McDonald (W.Langford, T.Langdon)
MID: G.Ablett, T.Liberatore, D.Beams, D.Tyson, J.Aish, V.Michie, J.Polec, X.Ellis (L.Dunstan, M.Crouch)
RUCK: M.Leuenberger, A.Sandilands (D.Currie, F.Thurlow)
FWD: P.Dangerfield, N.Riewoldt, D.Martin, J.Roughead, J.Caddy, S.Higgins (M.McDonough, J.Kennedy-Harris)

Feel free to voice your opinion. It's more than welcome. Have at it lads. :cool:

Are you going for overall or league?

Reason I ask is with a 3 premo midfield I think you will be fine for League wins but not sure about overall.

I hated dismantling my 5 premo midfield for team balance but the absolute minimum I would ever go in the mids is 4 premos and if it was only 4 premos then Pendles is a must to make up for not having the 5th premo.

True it does balance the other lines, especially your forward line with only 3 mid premos but I just feel you will be lacking just that little bit extra power in the mids due to this. Afterall in SC I have always believed that you have a greater chance of winning with a gun midfield as that's where your highest points will come from.

Understand only going the 3 premo midfield though due to the lack of depth in back and more so forward rookies.

This is the year to maybe try the 3 premo midifield, it could well pay off.

Overall really nice side. I wouldn't really change anything about it if you feel confident going the 3 premo mid route. :thumbsu:

Are you going for overall or league?

Reason I ask is with a 3 premo midfield I think you will be fine for League wins but not sure about overall.

I hated dismantling my 5 premo midfield for team balance but the absolute minimum I would ever go in the mids is 4 premos and if it was only 4 premos then Pendles is a must to make up for not having the 5th premo.

True it does balance the other lines, especially your forward line with only 3 mid premos but I just feel you will be lacking just that little bit extra power in the mids due to this. Afterall in SC I have always believed that you have a greater chance of winning with a gun midfield as that's where your highest points will come from.

Understand only going the 3 premo midfield though due to the lack of depth in back and more so forward rookies.

This is the year to maybe try the 3 premo midifield, it could well pay off.

Overall really nice side. I wouldn't really change anything about it if you feel confident going the 3 premo mid route. :thumbsu:

I am definitely in for overall at least to start with, that could change if and until I feel I am no longer a chance, that being said I do have a major substantial league that is of importance to me as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted and have played around with trying to squeeze the 4 and 5 MID premos in and find a happy balance but I just haven't been able to find something I felt really confident with.

I absolutely agree the gun midfielder can be the making of supercoach sides, however I also believe to be a real contender for success (both overall & leagues) you need to find the right balance on not only Initial power up front, but your cash generation & team balance as well.

Really would kick myself if I rolled the dice with another rookie back or forward (which lets be honest is basically russian roulette at this point! :confused:) for the sake of having a go at a 4th mid and it turning pear shaped with the rookie being a dud and no options elsewhere (which is a reasonable chance with how bare the cupboards are at the moment! :oops:) (I guess that's where the fun of trading comes in :p)

I guess when you look at the critique of each others sides, we were basically half a step either side of the line on what the right mix is!

Appreciate the vote of confidence though :thumbsu:, I will have to have a long hard think about what route I go down, always good to get quality feedback! ;) :D

I am definitely in for overall at least to start with, that could change if and until I feel I am no longer a chance, that being said I do have a major substantial league that is of importance to me as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted and have played around with trying to squeeze the 4 and 5 MID premos in and find a happy balance but I just haven't been able to find something I felt really confident with.

I absolutely agree the gun midfielder can be the making of supercoach sides, however I also believe to be a real contender for success (both overall & leagues) you need to find the right balance on not only Initial power up front, but your cash generation & team balance as well.

Really would kick myself if I rolled the dice with another rookie back or forward (which lets be honest is basically russian roulette at this point! :confused:) for the sake of having a go at a 4th mid and it turning pear shaped with the rookie being a dud and no options elsewhere (which is a reasonable chance with how bare the cupboards are at the moment! :oops:) (I guess that's where the fun of trading comes in :p)

I guess when you look at the critique of each others sides, we were basically half a step either side of the line on what the right mix is!

Appreciate the vote of confidence though :thumbsu:, I will have to have a long hard think about what route I go down, always good to get quality feedback! ;) :D

Have you thought of McDounuts (Yum) AKA McDonough?

I think he could be a genuine "pardon the pun" F6 for most sides as he will play the half back role that Newman played (Newman will be starting forward apparently)

I think McDonuts is a better option than Rohan at F6, should score about 70-80 odd each week.

Also think he will be safe from the sub vest as that usually goes to impact players or guys with limited pre season.

Food for thought. ;)

This is almost identical to my 406 setup team. Much stronger than your 505 mids. Better lines.

Yeah tend to agree with you mate.

I'm sure I am going to regret not having Libba and Rockcliff in my team but what else can you do?

With a 5 premo midfield you are going to suffer on one of your other lines.

Looking at my team B I definitely feel more comfortable with it as an overall balance perspective. :thumbsu:

Have you thought of McDounuts (Yum) AKA McDonough?

I think he could be a genuine "pardon the pun" F6 for most sides as he will play the half back role that Newman played (Newman will be starting forward apparently)

I think McDonuts is a better option than Rohan at F6, should score about 70-80 odd each week.

Also think he will be safe from the sub vest as that usually goes to impact players or guys with limited pre season.

Food for thought. ;)

Hmmm something to think about, might have to have a better look into that as an option! Cheers :thumbsu:

Judd_Magic If we had a plethora of fwd/def rooks to pick from and confident to start n make cash, i would be going a 5 mid premo at the mininum.
If you start guys like Laidler, Webster, Langford, Rohan, McDonough and they fail, you're screwed up the koito.

At least with mid rookies, there's a whole field to choose from. I hate not having premo mids but I think this SC year is unique and may allow for a different strategy.

Judd_Magic If we had a plethora of fwd/def rooks to pick from and confident to start n make cash, i would be going a 5 mid premo at the mininum.
If you start guys like Laidler, Webster, Langford, Rohan, McDonough and they fail, you're screwed up the koito.

At least with mid rookies, there's a whole field to choose from. I hate not having premo mids but I think this SC year is unique and may allow for a different strategy.

This would be Impromptu's year to go with the 3 premo mid strategy I reckon. He did it in 2012 with only one mid premo to start off with and finished in the top 800 but this year it would have merit.

I've heard a rumor that he has actually stacked his backline and gone midfield rookie madness. LOL!

I will be following his team this year with great interest. :D:thumbsu:

Last edited:

Great post.

For those reasons I'm now heavily leaning towards a 307 mid structure vs the 406. Still undecided.
This year, if we're pumping too much blood into the mids the other organs will suffer, as a result. Crazy as it sounds, what most might think is their strength (505) could actually turn out to be their Achilles heel.

Great post.

For those reasons I'm now heavily leaning towards a 307 mid structure vs the 406. Still undecided.
This year, if we're pumping too much blood into the mids the other organs will suffer, as a result. Crazy as it sounds, what most might think is their strength (505) could actually turn out to be their Achilles heel.

Exactly the same thought track I have been down, couldn't think of a better way to explain than how you outlined it just then :thumbsu:! This should be fun, to see how many get it right and how many get it wrong. Never seen so much variety not only on player selection but the actual formula to make up the side before! :confused:

It's true they find a way to make it harder every year! :rolleyes:

Here's team B minus a mid premo but with Pendles.

Probably more balanced to tell you the truth. :thumbsu:

View attachment 46630
Unlike the others, I actually prefer your A team. I feel what you've gained in defence doesn't make up for what you've lost in your midfield and forward line.

I won't claim my team is finished. That probably won't happen until the rolling lockouts make changes impossible :) But it's pretty close to the finished product. My team is now 505 in the mids so that may be affecting my view of your team.

I've tried to keep away from speculative picks and only included players above rookie prices who have proved they can score at over 115 in the mids and over 90 in the other positions. Dahlhouse has been my main POD since the first team I posted and he's really confirmed that in the preseason. Dunn would the most controversial and perhaps speculative of my picks but he has proved on two occasions that he can score well over 90 for extended periods and he should be the main beneficiary of Melbourne's new game plan and is likely to go to a new level. The other controversial points would be the absence of Ablett and Pendlebury but I have grave doubts about Ablett this season and I was determined to have no more than 2 premo midfielders with the round 8 bye and in terms of value Cotchin and Beams seemed to be essential picks. Watson gets in despite my doubts about how the ASADA saga will affect him because the positives of selecting him clearly outweigh those doubts. Malceski gets a run partly because of his great preseason form but mainly because of the impressive 106 he averaged in his most recent games against his pre-bye opponents.

2d5n2e.jpg

Tossing up between

Marc Murphy and Daisy Thomas and 40 grand

Or

Watson/ Rockliffe and J. Polec and 100 grand

Any thoughts? I hear big wraps on Polec, is he a must have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 46641 View attachment 46642
Unlike the others, I actually prefer your A team. I feel what you've gained in defence doesn't make up for what you've lost in your midfield and forward line.

I won't claim my team is finished. That probably won't happen until the rolling lockouts make changes impossible :) But it's pretty close to the finished product. My team is now 505 in the mids so that may be affecting my view of your team.

I've tried to keep away from speculative picks and only included players above rookie prices who have proved they can score at over 115 in the mids and over 90 in the other positions. Dahlhouse has been my main POD since the first team I posted and he's really confirmed that in the preseason. Dunn would the most controversial and perhaps speculative of my picks but he has proved on two occasions that he can score well over 90 for extended periods and he should be the main beneficiary of Melbourne's new game plan and is likely to go to a new level. The other controversial points would be the absence of Ablett and Pendlebury but I have grave doubts about Ablett this season and I was determined to have no more than 2 premo midfielders with the round 8 bye and in terms of value Cotchin and Beams seemed to be essential picks. Watson gets in despite my doubts about how the ASADA saga will affect him because the positives of selecting him clearly outweigh those doubts. Malceski gets a run partly because of his great preseason form but mainly because of the impressive 106 he averaged in his most recent games against his pre-bye opponents.

2d5n2e.jpg
Geez, I though my team was risk riddled.
I think maybe a few too many risks.
These are just my opinions but could be proved completely wrong and when you look at my team you may just stick with your team the way it is.
- In a team consisting of an up and coming midfield of Griffen, Macrae, Libba, Wallis and throw Boyd in there. Dahlhaus has to compete for points in a team that will probably lose more games than it will win. I just don't think he will average enough to be a top 8-10 Forward by seasons end competing with them.
- No Pendles or Ablett means no perma captain. If Sandi doesn't have a huge score (I think he will this week though BTW) who can you truly rely on for the 120+ score you want from your captain? With Ablett and Pendles you're upset with 100. Watson/Rockliff/Cotchin/Danger can have 60-70 weeks. I think you need at least one or at very least a Selwood/Swan.

My views
- Murphy to Michie
- Cotchin to Pendles
- Dahlhaus to Roughead
and that will leave you with 100K to tinker some more if you like.

My team ATM, more risky than I would like and will more than likely chicken out by tomorrow.
I know most peoples opinions of the 3 premo midfield is that most of the scoring comes from the premium mids, but I have no faith what so ever in rookies on any other lines either having a solid spot in the side or being sub affected even if they do get a run each week, except for maybe McDonald.
McIntosh I'm not overly happy about but slotted Dixon forward for a bit of cover. If Sandi or HMac go down in the 1st couple of weeks, Dixon to ruck, Trade Sandi/Hmac to Caddy.
SC1.png
SC2.png
Thoughts?

Noticing a fair few teams without Suckling now where as 2 weeks ago he was in every team. Any injury concerns? Or have people just jumped off him now?
Could be a sub risk early on.

Noticing a fair few teams without Suckling now where as 2 weeks ago he was in every team. Any injury concerns? Or have people just jumped off him now?
Bit like J Martin (J who??)

Agreed on first team to many risks... could pay off.

As for your team I like it.. but hibberd big no no ;)

Can i get thoughts on my team guys :)

View attachment 46654

What's with the Daisy on the bench thing?
Maybe pick up Matty Wright until he's definetly in?

Yeah I know North are super keen on Atley and he has those flashes of real skill and class but I just have a feeling he will be one of these players who will flash for a couple of weeks then fall of the perch again there are guys at lower prices who are capable of similar outputs, with the cash you have you could come up to a Corey Enright or Kade Simpson type, who with reasonable confidence will consistently scoring you between 90-110 week in week out.

Tend to agree. While as a North fan I'm looking forward to seeing Atley run through the middle more, I'd want to see a bit of established track record of that, plus showing more of an ability to get his own ball in the mids for it to translate into sustainable SC scores. Over time I think we might be better served by using his pace through the middle and his good delivery into 50 rather than out of the defensive 50. I mean, Boomer's uncanny hitting targets inside 5, but there's a chance he could retire as early as the next 4-5 years. OTOH, Atley might in the long run turn out to be one of those guys who's at his best with the game in front of him and be a career HBF.

On the upside, he ranks highly in metres gained, and of the top 100 in that stat last year had the highest possession retention rate. Long kicks retaining possession are good for SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back