Opinion Your 3 to watch - Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

2. Jake Bowes.
What a coup from the club. Not only did we get Jack onto the list (as well as pick 7 to accompany him), it now appears that we got his lesser-known brother as part of the package as well.

The Tigs fans will be furious when they find out...

:cool:

It completely baffles me whenever I ask someone why they rate Bruhn that I get absolute crickets to the actual question and get these kind of responses.

I think the reality is that it's all based on hope.

I also hope he turns into what he had been described as a junior.

P.S. I don't recall saying Bruhn and Bowes have no talent.
First year showed flashes just what you want 2nd year started well then fell off just like most of GWS...What can people say? you watch him in u18s looks the goods and you are hoping he can do it in the AFL, 1st year you would say he is on tack maybe he had 2nd year blues maybe he just wanted out of GWS

Tanner Bruhn (great instincts, his upside is electric, if he can rotate through the middle we'll have our own Nick Daicos) , Max Holmes (Danger thinks he could be best player in the comp + we owe him a flag), Mark Blicavs (if he can keep it going he's the most special Chess piece in the competition) development watch: Oisin Mullin (has pace and dare but I'm so curious as to his skills and instincts for the game)

I hope you are right. Certainly there shouldn’t be any undue pressure on contracts given you would expect more than a handful of them not being extended.

Odds are though that maybe 1 or 2 of the drafts in 2021 don’t see it past year 2 - that is probably just afl average but will be only if they make the call that they aren’t going to make it. Hard for these boys if they don’t get a shot - also hoping Cooper Whyte keeps fit and starts with a bang

Whyte was the one who seemed to show the most promise during last year's pre-season. The club appeared pretty excited by him until injuries struck.

Hopefully he can keep himself fit and show a bit next year.

Holmes - hopefully for him to continue his trajectory from last year

Neale- should be getting a block of games early as Hawkins is in doubt , hoping he can do enough to get a contract in front of him

The second Henry ;) - it will be interesting to see how the MC handles him , does he do a a year stint in the VFL or does he rotate to give Rohan some rest during the year

That’s not to say the other inclusions are ignored but for mine those as my big questions for the year .

Stengle…will he stay on straight and narrow.Small forward producing 40 odd goals each year would be awesome.
Ollie Henry.. where will he fit in?
Dangerfield..cliff looming?
Had a very good final season and was coming back from a interrupted pre season from memory , I can’t see him dropping off I still think he got a good 2-3 years left

I hope you are right. Certainly there shouldn’t be any undue pressure on contracts given you would expect more than a handful of them not being extended.

Odds are though that maybe 1 or 2 of the drafts in 2021 don’t see it past year 2 - that is probably just afl average but will be only if they make the call that they aren’t going to make it. Hard for these boys if they don’t get a shot - also hoping Cooper Whyte keeps fit and starts with a bang

Realistically i see cegs and smith as likely retirements 2023.
Stanley hawkins tuohy rohan all possibles to retire plus menegola probably goes as FA if he doesnt get back in the 22.
Simpson wont be kept past this year unless he becomes best 22 (make or break year hopr he does a zac guthrie).
Sav will ask for a trade again unless hes best 22
(All of that doesnt account for neale staying i hope he does)

Given we only have 1 pick inside 70 thats more than enough changes (if say 6-7 off the senior list) so i cant see why the 2021 guys would go..they will be given 2024 at least for us to make a call on them.

First year showed flashes just what you want 2nd year started well then fell off just like most of GWS...What can people say? you watch him in u18s looks the goods and you are hoping he can do it in the AFL, 1st year you would say he is on tack maybe he had 2nd year blues maybe he just wanted out of GWS
Not the specific game details I'm looking for but at least you had a dip at it.

People can't say much about his U18 year because he hardly got on the park.

1) This year I said it would be the year of SDK. I’m confident that next year will be the year of Max Holmes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the AA40 squad. He is going to be elite one day.

2) Jhye Clark will play more games and debut earlier in the season than widely expected

3) Make or break for Neale. I think if he plays less than 10 games next year, he’ll ask for a trade back home. I’m hopeful that our limited draft hand next year is not in anticipation of some players - namely Neale - leaving. He would net us at least a 2nd rounder if he did go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holmes - hopefully for him to continue his trajectory from last year

Neale- should be getting a block of games early as Hawkins is in doubt , hoping he can do enough to get a contract in front of him

The second Henry ;) - it will be interesting to see how the MC handles him , does he do a a year stint in the VFL or does he rotate to give Rohan some rest during the year

That’s not to say the other inclusions are ignored but for mine those as my big questions for the year .

I agree ..it will be interesting to see how they handle The Poet.

Short term ... is there a spot in the side. Rohan ..is still at the peak of his form ..probably coming off a final series that changes his story.

Not the specific game details I'm looking for but at least you had a dip at it.

People can't say much about his U18 year because he hardly got on the park.
I think his kicking skills are good, can move through traffic well with enough speed, good with his hands good kick for goal, from that he still has things to work on 1 being working harder

I agree ..it will be interesting to see how they handle The Poet.

Short term ... is there a spot in the side. Rohan ..is still at the peak of his form ..probably coming off a final series that changes his story.
Rohan is still good for home and away games, like last year should not play anymore than about 14 games AFL and VFL

(1) Mullin: always interested to see how the Irish players adapt. He may have to work harder and practice more than any player on the list.

(2) Duncan: Does he his still have the fire to play a big season and will his body hold up. There will be pressure for spots so he can’t ease off.

(3) Conway: I don’t expect him to play many senior games but we really need him to show this year that he will be our likely Number 1 for next decade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It completely baffles me whenever I ask someone why they rate Bruhn that I get absolute crickets to the actual question and get these kind of responses.

I think the reality is that it's all based on hope.

I also hope he turns into what he had been described as a junior.

P.S. I don't recall saying Bruhn and Bowes have no talent.
Yeah I don’t get Bruhn either. Guess that’s why I’ll wait to see him play? It definitely falls down to hope.

Bowes I rate highly

Yeah I don’t get Bruhn either. Guess that’s why I’ll wait to see him play? It definitely falls down to hope.

Bowes I rate highly
It's an interesting narrative that sees great prospects in Bowes and says 'meh' about Bruhn.

Here's some stats from the first two years of their respective AFL careers.

Jack Bowes (2017)
12.4 disposals per game
2.9 marks per game
2.3 tackles per game
0,2 clearances per game

Jack Bowes (2018)
16.1 disposals per game
4.2 marks per game
2.3 tackles per game
1.6 clearances per game

Tanner Bruhn (2021)
7.8 disposals per game
1.2 marks per game
2.5 tackles per game
0.8 clearances per game

Tanner Bruhn (2022)
11.9 disposals per game
2.2 marks per game
3.5 tackles per game
2.1 clearances per game

Very similar improvement from year 1 to year 2 in average disposals and marks per game for both players. Admittedly, Bowes has higher base numbers in these stats for both seasons. But Bruhn shows greater improvement in both average tackles and clearances. And Tanner also has more appearances as a sub, which skews his overall average numbers downwards relative to Jack.

On the basis of their first two years in the system, then, I just don't see that the stats support the idea that Bowes is presumed to be quality and Bruhn is yawn-worthy. The numbers don't delineate a great difference, and I subsequently have hope that both of them can be worthwhile contributors in the hoops for years to come.

Put it this way, I'll be surprised if Bruhn hasn't shown about as much as a player as Bowes has now when he reaches the same level of experience in the system. Which will be the end of 2026, if anyone's wondering.

#allwearesaying
#isgivebruhnachance

It's an interesting narrative that sees great prospects in Bowes and says 'meh' about Bruhn.

Here's some stats from the first two years of their respective AFL careers.

Jack Bowes (2017)
12.4 disposals per game
2.9 marks per game
2.3 tackles per game
0,2 clearances per game

Jack Bowes (2018)
16.1 disposals per game
4.2 marks per game
2.3 tackles per game
1.6 clearances per game

Tanner Bruhn (2021)
7.8 disposals per game
1.2 marks per game
2.5 tackles per game
0.8 clearances per game

Tanner Bruhn (2022)
11.9 disposals per game
2.2 marks per game
3.5 tackles per game
2.1 clearances per game

Very similar improvement from year 1 to year 2 in average disposals and marks per game for both players. Admittedly, Bowes has higher base numbers in these stats for both seasons. But Bruhn shows greater improvement in both average tackles and clearances. And Tanner also has more appearances as a sub, which skews his overall average numbers downwards relative to Jack.

On the basis of their first two years in the system, then, I just don't see that the stats support the idea that Bowes is presumed to be quality and Bruhn is yawn-worthy. The numbers don't delineate a great difference, and I subsequently have hope that both of them can be worthwhile contributors in the hoops for years to come.

Put it this way, I'll be surprised if Bruhn hasn't shown about as much as a player as Bowes has now when he reaches the same level of experience in the system. Which will be the end of 2026, if anyone's wondering.

#allwearesaying
#isgivebruhnachance
What makes you think I’m not giving him a chance just because I know nothing about him.

That’s all it is. Don’t know who he is because I didn’t watch GWS games and highlights do no justice when every player has them on Youtube

What makes you think I’m not giving him a chance just because I know nothing about him.

That’s all it is. Don’t know who he is because I didn’t watch GWS games and highlights do no justice when every player has them on Youtube
Merely pointing out that those who hold hope in Bowes now (based on six years in the system) might have grounds for just as much hope in Bruhn in the future, given the opening two years of their AFL careers don't really stack up that differently.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the fact that some here can't see much in Bruhn at this point really doesn't matter at all. The club clearly rates him (as evidenced by their willingness to give up significant draft capital to snare his services), and we'll all have to wait and see whether their optimism in his future prospects is ultimately justified.

Merely pointing out that those who hold hope in Bowes now (based on six years in the system) might have grounds for just as much hope in Bruhn in the future, given the opening two years of their AFL careers don't really stack up that differently.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the fact that some here can't see much in Bruhn at this point really doesn't matter at all. The club clearly rates him (as evidenced by their willingness to give up significant draft capital to snare his services), and we'll all have to wait and see whether their optimism in his future prospects is ultimately justified.
Worst case scenario will play over 50 games for us and you’d take that from any draftee so doesn’t bother me to have picked him up

Some people judge players to hard when trying too see talent, hell some on here said Holmes would not make it in his first year, and some thought SDK would never make it.

Zac Guthrie- I think he took his game to new levels and seems to be capable of even more.

Mitch Duncan- I just love watching him and if he has a full pre season I’d love to see him recognised with an award of some sort. He is a pure champion and the best player to never get an all Australian jersey.

Me- celebrating a back to back premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Your 3 to watch - Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back