Your Clubs ex-cult hero we've all forgotten about....

Remove this Banner Ad

Im a carlton man so for my club it would be Mil Hanna #1 Brad Pearce #2 Jeff Hogg tied with Earl Spolding for #3 and who could forget Fraser Browns FRO'

Other notablew mentions
Ray Jenke (hawthorn)
Bill Brownless (Geelong)
Derrik Kickett (essendon)
Jayson Daniels (saints)
Mark Dragacevic (richmond)
Mark Merenda(West coast)
Trent Bartlett(dogs)

From Fitzroy:

Doc Wheildon and for those real die-hards; Jamie 'Spider' Shaw, only played 2 games, but easily one of the biggest cult-hero's to play so few games. Was a legend down at Preston and came with a huge reputation but cruelled by injuries.
I didnt know being a mega pi55head was considered as 'injuries'

Otherwise, although not from my club what about Zeno Tzatzaris at the doggies?

Allan Jakovich - the modern demon doesn't remember such a star. Anyone remember Nathan Carroll? I don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, some great and very worthy mentions thus far but I think you are all missing surely one of the greats. I give you the colossus of the goal square, the one and only,

Danny Delre

You know i worked as a "Red Coat" at Footy Park the day Danny Delre made his SANFL debut (after being dropped from the Western Bulldogs). He kicked 10 goals for South Adelaide from full forward (against Sturt) that day. what a star!:D

remember this guy?????

JIronmongerEP.jpg

John Ironmonger.... Fitzroy.... Sydney.....
so bloody hard to find photos of some of these blokes!

Heres a few Swans
Sanford Wheeler; an African American kid who used to ride his skateboard to training, Barassi got rid of him.
Wade Chapman; just about the gutsiest Swan I have seen in a lifetime of supporting the club
Warwick Capper; yeah I know, I know the guy is a clown but he kicked a hundred goals in a season and he dragged a lot of people to the footy in Sydney when we really needed them [even if you wouldnt want to sit next to most of them]. I included Capper because we are 'trying' to forget about him.
Tilt Carter; just for the tilt really. Should have played over 300 games but he was left out of the team for most of his last season.
Jamie Lawson; super quick rover who suffered a career ending injury very early in his career.
Derek Kickett; for going the torp. and for have the only beer guts in the AFL, loved him.

How about Brad Rowe and Jarrod Molloy for the Pies. Someone else mentioned James Manson....WORST Kicking style ever...but cult hero.

Not a Hawk fan, but Johnny Barker seemed to be a bit of a fav of the brown and gold.

And I think there was 'Peter Wilson' at the Tigers, who went to West Coast???

How could anyone forget the greatest footballer we ever had...

JASON WILD!!

That guy you could guarentee everytime he went near the football it was going to be a shocking turnover :rolleyes:

Had a hideous carrot top and pale white skin, our recruiters should have been shot :eek:

How could anyone forget the greatest footballer we ever had...

JASON WILD!!

That guy you could guarentee everytime he went near the football it was going to be a shocking turnover :rolleyes:

Had a hideous carrot top and pale white skin, our recruiters should have been shot :eek:

I played against him when I was about 12 in a NSW Schoolboys comp - he was pretty well fully grown then & played in the ruck. I reckon I was about 5'1, maybe 5'2 at the time, and he dwarfed all of us.

He was unreal then, shame about the skills query when he got to the Pies...

John Platten isn't really forgotten but that hair just set him apart.

Allen Jackovich(melb)
He would kick 6.8 in a game, high five the crowd and then start a fight.

What a legend he was for 2 years

What about Gilbert McAdam at North????

You are thinking of Adrian McAdam at North. Pretty sure he kicked a heap in his first season, maybe a North fan could tell us more.

Gilbert played for the Bears and is an absolute champion of a bloke. The used to go and do the coaching clinics at schools in the early days of the Bears in Brisbane and they had to make him stop giving the footys away to the kids. Read a very interesting book his old man wrote, for the life of me I can't recall the name of it, but is was about being indigenous in the top end:thumbsu:

FWIW, from my old Fitzroy days, Micky Conlan was the cult hero. Also remember Melbourne fans treating Ricky Jackson "the Action Attraction" as a bit of a hero. From the old Bears at Carrara days, Andrew Taylor had a bit of a cult following.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Clubs ex-cult hero we've all forgotten about....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back