Toast Your recollections of the day of any or all of our Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

96. Watched at my mates place. Got smashed. Went to the pub in my North jumper with 18 on the back. People were buying drinks, calling me Carey. Was great.

Woke up in the morning to a angry future Mrs.Spider telling me I pissed next to the bed during the night. Checked, and I had pissed all over my North jumper.

96. Watched at my mates place. Got smashed. Went to the pub in my North jumper with 18 on the back. People were buying drinks, calling me Carey. Was great.

Woke up in the morning to a angry future Mrs.Spider telling me I pissed next to the bed during the night. Checked, and I had pissed all over my North jumper.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ok we have a winner
Lock the thread

IUB would be proud!

IUB would be proud!
I've heard of IUB. He must have been a popular character here. A bit of a larrikin it seems. What funny tricks gid he get up to?

My wife and her family have been to all of the north wins. 96 was my first and it was great. Especially as Sydney appeared to be on top and suddenly, North went bang!

Lucky enough to be at the Centenary GF with my mum in 96: Mike Brady, John Farnham (a North man:sparkles:), the gold cup :trophy:, the Wayne Carey balloon lying prostrate on the ground (I superstitiously thought that was a sign we were going to lose). ... But all that was just the prematch :coldsweat: There were so many fantastic moments, a blur at the time but watching it many times in the years after... "Allison, he loves a goal", "They're back", "Slapped by McKernan", "Stevens can just about seal it for North Melbourne" - as it all unfolded, I love it! Plus those stripy North hats! After the game I went out with friends to Arden Street and pretty sure it was McKernan brandishing the gold cup when the team got off the bus.

I was also at '99 which was fantastic too.

1727475604136.png

Last edited:
I've heard of IUB. He must have been a popular character here. A bit of a larrikin it seems. What funny tricks gid he get up to?

My wife and her family have been to all of the north wins. 96 was my first and it was great. Especially as Sydney appeared to be on top and suddenly, North went bang!

IUB took things too far to the point where the joke was very thin…probably the most ridiculous but funny posts were the Game Day Thread for the 2015 Elimination Final when on the first page he was trying to get a chant in his honour started before the game.

96 we were so excited that we scored tickets for my cousin and I behind the goals only to find out they were in the Sydney cheer squad.
After copping it from the Cola’s early on, step up Glenn Freeborn!
From then in it was every emotion I’ve ever felt all rolled into one. On that final siren I was a bloody mess 🥲
I’ll never forget the joy on everyones face rocking up to Arden st post match (Can’t remember how much I drank to wake up under the old grand stand on Sunday morning though lol ) 99 was different but bloody good especially getting one over the Baggers!
Now I hope that we get back to that one day in September so I can share that feeling with my now Adult kids.
Bloody great times 💙🤍💙

Like a lot of you on here, I was lucky enough to be at the two winning grand finals in 1996 and 1999. I cried at the end of the game in 1996. Rooniversity I also thought the Wayne Carey blow up balloon not standing up was a sign. I travelled from country Victoria to Arden St the next day and ended up on the front page of the Herald Sun in the background of the photograph where Corey is holding the premiership cup.

Last edited:
l went to every GF. 1975 was the best. l sat in the top deck of the ,now gone, old Olympic stand and minutes before the end saw to elderly guys in their 80's in front of me crying. One guy said to the other "we've won it" and the other said "l can now die happy"..or words to that effect..no doubt my best memory..

Too young for 1975 or 1977.

1996 and 1999 were polar opposites. In 1996 I queued for tickets for two nights outside Myer in Frankston. Went to all training sessions, the parade, watched every show - it consumed my week. Incredibly nervous - didn't sleep much, couldn't watch the pre-game stuff and only really relaxed when Mark Roberts kicked a goal in the last quarter. The final siren was an explosion of euphoria.

In 1999 a friend already had a ticket for me if we made it, so it kind of fell into my lap. Just started going out with Mrs Marstermind so did other things that week - no training, no parade, we spent a few days in Lorne and drove back on the Saturday morning. A bit apprehensive as you never know, but was supremely confident we'd win. Even when it took a little while to shake them off I never had any doubt.

But the aftermath for both was similar - official club function on the Saturday night, family day on the Sunday, loaded up on souvenirs and watched the game multiple times over summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the 99 GF at a mates place. Family were Carlton mad but they weren’t too upset with the loss. They were still on a high from knocking * out in the prelim.

From there we all headed to the Tennis Centre (Carlton mates included) and out on the town where I was refused entry to most clubs on behalf of my North polo shirt.. apparently other Blues fans weren’t taking the loss so well.. ended up wasted drunk, did god knows what and with the worst hangover in history the next day!! Good times!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In 1975 I went to the game with my Dad. He bought two standing room tickets from scalpers at the old MCG Hotel. The tickets were situated in what would have been approximately the old Bay 13 area. We got there early, so we were right on the fence behind a large section of seating. As the game approached and people began filling up their seats, strangely the section of seating in front of us was completely empty. Finally the game started and still these seats were empty. All of a sudden people started jumping over the fence between the standing room and the empty section of seats. People were streaming over, at that moment my Dad pushed me up and over the fence, he followed and we ran down towards the front and sat about eight rows back from the ground and enjoyed our first ever premiership. It was a special day, especially to have shared it with my Dad. In 1996 I was able to attend and share another flag with my then 6 year old son. Precious memories.

77 remember playing kick to kick in the street at half time with my pies neighbours. 96 was in Northern stand. It was absolute relief, was drained completely. Remember going to the toilet every 5 minutes due to nerves. 99 was celebrating before the game in the car park, smoking bongs in the car, drinking and eating. Almost forgot the game was on, had to rush in b4 the bounce. Never felt more confident in my life about any game.

96 - Went to the game and was at HFF at the "Freeborn" end (ground level).

Was worried when the Swans got some soft frees (for a GF anyway) in the first and then the fend off goal early in the 2nd quarter to a decent lead.

The resurgence in the 2nd quarter was about as pumped as I ever been.

The 4th was a relief when the likes of Roberts, Simpson and Fairley were kicking goals and we were celebrating.

75 too young to remember much at all

77 we had it live on colour tv and got to do it two weeks in a row. The first game was just frustrating. We should have had it wrapped up but for shocking inaccuracy. The Replay was a relief because it felt like we had given up an incredible chance.

96 was a barrel of nerves; we weren’t the best team during the year and had shown a few times that we were capable of dishing up unexpected performances.

99…just relief and I reckon that’s what most of us thought the top of the STH Stand that day

As I have said many times over the years on here I walked out of 99 thinking our era was coming to an end and we’d be back mid 2000’s

25 years later….fml

1999 GF. My abiding memory. I’m in the Ponsford Stand with my kiwi mate, who I brought along for the ride. Second quarter, Carlton are running through us like a dose of salts. Rice, I think, goals and they’ve turned round a quarter time deficit and are now leading by nine points and running on top of the ground. Umpire bounces the ball in the centre square. Corey gets it and heads towards our attacking centre square line. He does his customary “roost”. Due to the fact we’re about 20 rows back in L1, the Sherrin disappears from sight. It reappears going over the goal umpires head. As George in Seinfeld used to say “We’re back, baby”. After the next centre bounce, the ball is worked back to Simmo, who kicks it in his own very inimical way. Corey marks it, as only Corey (or Carey) could on the boundary in the pocket. I turned to my kiwi friend and said “If Corey kicks this, we will definitely win the flag”. He replied “Big call”. I’ll never forget that moment. We were 3 points behind, as he lined up - in the second quarter. And, I won’t even talk about Mickey bursting out of defence and sending the most beautiful helicopter to Boomer (not sure).

As someone who’s still sentimental enough to get really carried away with the emotion of Grand Final day, 1996 remains one of the few occasions I’ve felt pure, unadulterated joy. Just the best day ever. It’s what keeps you coming back through the unending shit show of the past 5 years. And I went on to meet the woman who became my wife later that night, so I guess is wasn’t all good.

(joking sweetheart)

I started off watching at a neighbours house, they had friends who were carlton. When Carlton kicked their first goal I said shit under my breath and got a glare from them. Quarter time went home and watched the rest when my family none of which are north supporters. .I was on cloud 9 when we won.

Side note the week before i was watching essendon Carlton. The minute the siren sounded and Carlton won I said we've just won the grand final coz I know Carlton weren't beating us

Back in 1975 and 1977 I was a Fitzroy supporter. Watched all three games on TV and along with all members of our family, we barracked flat out for North. It had been so long in the making and 1975 was just so wonderful to see.

1996 was very bizarre, because Fitzroy had played its last game. The rest of the clubs had ganged up on the North/Fitzroy planned merger, delivering the Fitzroy carcass to Brisbane and I wasn't sure if I would even watch football again, let alone ever barrack for another club. Because my late brother was an old South Melbourne supporter, I wanted them to win.

1999 was absolutely wonderful, though somewhat surreal, because I never thought that I would see live, any club that I supported, win a premiership. Its been a long 25 years since then. It could have been my last day on earth as well, when a Qantas plane flew over the MCG, directly above where Ms Horace and I were sitting high up in the old Olympic Stand and scared the living daylights out of us.

Side note the week before i was watching essendon Carlton. The minute the siren sounded and Carlton won I said we've just won the grand final coz I know Carlton weren't beating us
We were at a wedding on the day C'ton played E'don in the prelim. Rushed back to somebody's place to see the end of that game before we went to the reception. We were ****-a-hoop knowing like you, a week in advance that we had the '99 flag in the bag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Your recollections of the day of any or all of our Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back