Your Top 50 - Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fulham FC, Real Madrid
Based on Mike Sheahan doing his top 50 that will cause constant debate and ridicule, I feel that people should do their top 50 to see differences in how people rate AFL players.

Mikes top 50 are
50 Bryce Gibbs
49 Grant Birchall
48 Kane Cornes
47 Drew Petrie
46 Dale Thomas
45 Chance Bateman
44 Brendon Goddard
43 Travis Cloke
42 Ryan Griffen
41 Brett Deledio
40 Simon Goodwin
39 Scott Pendlebury
38 Jarras Mcveigh
37 Dane Swan
36 Nathan Bock
35 Paul Chapman
34 Daniel Bradshaw
33 Brad Ottens
32 Ryan Okeefe
31 Alan Didak
30 Luke Power
29 Steve Johnson
28 Brad Sewell
27 Joel Selwood
26 Sam Fisher
25 Sam Mitchell
24 Cameron Ling
23 Dale Morris
22 Jarryd Roughhead
21 Darren Glass
20 Chad Cornes
19 Daniel Kerr
18 Shaun Burgoyne
17 Adam Goodes
16 Brent Harvey
15 Matthew Richardson
14 Joel Corey
13 Adam Cooney
12 Simon Black
11 Jimmy Bartel
10 Matthew Scarlett
9 Matthew Pavlich
8 Nick Riewoldt
7 Jonathan Brown
6 Brendan Fevola
5 Luke Hodge
4 Dean Cox
3 Lance Franklin
2 Chris Judd
1 Garry Ablett

Heres Mine
1 Ablett
2 Hodge
3 Franklin
4 Bartel
5 Cox
6 Cooney
7 Richo
8 Reiwoldt
9 Pavlich
10 Corey
11. J. Brown
12 Scarlett
13 Judd
14 B. Harvey
15 Roughead
16 Black
17 Fevola
18 Kerr
19 Goodes
20 S. Burgoyne
21 Deledio
22 J. Selwood
23 S. Fisher
24. Mitchell
25. Foley
26. Cross
27. Power
28. L. Davis
29. K. Cornes
30. B. Goddard
31. Bock
32. Didak
33. D. Swan
34. Morris
35. Glass
36. Bateman
37. J. McVeigh
38. Sewell
39. S. Tuck
40. T. Cloke
41. Petrie
42. Bock
43. S. Johnson
44. Griffin
45. Birchall
46. Ling
47. N. Brown
48. C. Cornes
49. Chapman
50. Hille

Like Sheahan's, this will be slammed to smithereens, but it is bloody tough. A lot could be in, but I've gone for team importance crossed with predicted ladder position, its why the top 4 are two cats and 2 hawks. cox speaks for himself at 5. Cooney is a big cog at the dogs. Richo is richo. reiwoldt and pav are their teams richos, and corey is a superstar.

feel free to discuss and add your own.

FWIW apart from the travesty in leaving Richo out of top 10...Lids could easily replace Luke Power...anyone tell Mike Bris won their flags a few years back now...he's a shadow of where he was ...and glass was hardly earth shattering last year...gimmee Moore anyday..No bloody way he's 21st best player in the comp:eek:

ill just do a top 10

ablett
hodge
judd
franklin
brown
richo
cox
fevola
scarlett
bartell

lids: 30 - 35
newman: 45-50
foley: 50 - 55

definelty have chance bateman and joel selwood higher
fisher, luke power, darren glass a lot lower

out of that list i think luke power, birchall and even shane tuck are pretty lucky to be there.

Birchall was rated by Clarkson as one of the Hawks absolute elite following the flag last year. He is one of the finest disposers in the Hawks side and one of their most valuable players.

While I agree with his current ranking by Sheehan, I think he will climb in coming years to become a top flite player...

Birchall was rated by Clarkson as one of the Hawks absolute elite following the flag last year. He is one of the finest disposers in the Hawks side and one of their most valuable players.

While I agree with his current ranking by Sheehan, I think he will climb in coming years to become a top flite player...

Very good player no doubt. But he is not top 50 just yet imo.

Based on Mike Sheahan doing his top 50 that will cause constant debate and ridicule, I feel that people should do their top 50 to see differences in how people rate AFL players.

Mikes top 50 are
50 Bryce Gibbs
49 Grant Birchall

48 Kane Cornes
47 Drew Petrie
46 Dale Thomas
45 Chance Bateman
44 Brendon Goddard

43 Travis Cloke
42 Ryan Griffen

41 Brett Deledio
40 Simon Goodwin
39 Scott Pendlebury
38 Jarras Mcveigh
37 Dane Swan
36 Nathan Bock
35 Paul Chapman
34 Daniel Bradshaw
33 Brad Ottens

32 Ryan Okeefe
31 Alan Didak
30 Luke Power
29 Steve Johnson
28 Brad Sewell

27 Joel Selwood
26 Sam Fisher
25 Sam Mitchell

24 Cameron Ling
23 Dale Morris
22 Jarryd Roughhead
21 Darren Glass

20 Chad Cornes
19 Daniel Kerr
18 Shaun Burgoyne
17 Adam Goodes
16 Brent Harvey
15 Matthew Richardson
14 Joel Corey
13 Adam Cooney
12 Simon Black
11 Jimmy Bartel
10 Matthew Scarlett
9 Matthew Pavlich
8 Nick Riewoldt
7 Jonathan Brown
6 Brendan Fevola
5 Luke Hodge
4 Dean Cox
3 Lance Franklin
2 Chris Judd
1 Garry Ablett

how is Scotty Thompson not better than these

He's a foot soldier. Not half the player such as blokes who play in a similar part of the ground like Chris Newman, Harry O'Brien, Michael Firrito, Corey Enright, and even Kelvin Moore.

And where's Daniel Cross, Brett Kirk, Nathan Brown, David Hille or Scott Thompson in Sheahan's list. It's all well and good to put out a list just to stir up a bit of controvery, as Sheahan and his apologists always seem to claim, but he can't then try and actually claim any genuine credibility in his opinions.

Jarryd Roughead at 22? Give me a break. He's nowhere near an All-Australian XXII, even without any "team balance" constraints. There's at least 10 other forwards alone (and probably more than 20 midfielders) I'd select in my list before Roughhead.

Jarryd Roughead at 22? Give me a break. He's nowhere near an All-Australian XXII, even without any "team balance" constraints. There's at least 10 other forwards alone (and probably more than 20 midfielders) I'd select in my list before Roughhead.

75 goals as a second forward didn't suggest anything to you?

Heres Mine
1 Ablett
2 Hodge
3 Franklin
4 Bartel
5 Cox
6 Cooney
7 Richo
8 Reiwoldt
9 Pavlich
10 Corey
11. J. Brown
12 Scarlett
13 Judd
14 B. Harvey
15 Roughead
16 Black
17 Fevola
18 Kerr
19 Goodes
20 S. Burgoyne
21 Deledio
22 J. Selwood
23 S. Fisher
24. Mitchell
25. Foley
26. Cross
27. Power
28. L. Davis
29. K. Cornes
30. B. Goddard
31. Bock
32. Didak
33. D. Swan
34. Morris
35. Glass
36. Bateman
37. J. McVeigh
38. Sewell
39. S. Tuck
40. T. Cloke
41. Petrie
42. Bock
43. S. Johnson
44. Griffin
45. Birchall
46. Ling
47. N. Brown
48. C. Cornes
49. Chapman
50. Hille

Like Sheahan's, this will be slammed to smithereens, but it is bloody tough. A lot could be in, but I've gone for team importance crossed with predicted ladder position, its why the top 4 are two cats and 2 hawks. cox speaks for himself at 5. Cooney is a big cog at the dogs. Richo is richo. reiwoldt and pav are their teams richos, and corey is a superstar.

feel free to discuss and add your own.

No tuck and Brown and foley lower. That will be the best one i've seen

FWIW apart from the travesty in leaving Richo out of top 10...Lids could easily replace Luke Power...anyone tell Mike Bris won their flags a few years back now...he's a shadow of where he was ...and glass was hardly earth shattering last year...gimmee Moore anyday..No bloody way he's 21st best player in the comp:eek:

Agree mate, but something you should know. Mike and Kevin Power (Luke and Sam's old man) are very close mates. They live across the road from each other and have been close for years.

I know Kevin quite well, great bloke, but you can almost guarentee a Sheehan article each year on one of the Power boys... has jizzed his pants over Luke for years.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheehan's list is based on where he thinks players will be at the end of this season.
Why he just didn't do a list based on where he thinks players are right now is beyond me.

standard issue primer for debates and arguments on SEN, in pubs and at barbies tugg. Keeps his name in the spotlight and himself employed. It never changes, and it means abo****ely JS. ;)

75 goals as a second forward didn't suggest anything to you?

It is lazy to use "goals kicked" as the only measure of the value of a forward. Just like "goals prevented" would not necessarily get a key backman into a Top (Insert Figure) list.

You kick the ball in the direction of a tall bloke often enough, especially one with so much support and talent around him, and you're gonna get more than 50 goals out of him (see Quentin Lynch, Chris Tarrant, etc).

Forwards I would select in my team for 2009 before Roughead include:

Franklin
J Brown
N Brown
N Riewoldt
M Pavlich
M Richardson
B Fevola
A Didak
T Cloke
R O'Keefe
P Chapman
S Johnson
(Maybe even Brad Johnson, Bradshaw and/or Lloyd, if it was just for 2009, maybe not?)

I originally said at least 10 forwards ... there's a dozen who I'd select before Roughhead, even as "second forward", just off the top of my head.

And don't get me started on midfielders who are superior players than him.

15th best player in the League? You're havin' a laugh ...

50. Glass
49. Bock
48. Mattner
47. N. Brown
46. Ling
45. Tuck
44. Gilbee
43. C. Cornes
42. porplyzia?? (spelling)
41. Dalziell
40. Sewell
39. Gibbs
38. Hille
37. Anthony
36. Newman
35. Goodes
34. Hille
33. Chapman
32. Sandilands
31. Palmer
30. R. Houlihan
29. Hall
28. S. Black
27. Deledio
26. Bateman
25. J. Selwood
24. Roughead
23. Mcleod
22. M. Mcveigh
21. J. Gram
20. B. Harvey
19. Scarlett
18. Kerr
17. Fev
16. J Brown
15. Corey
14. J Drummond
13. Cross
12. Mitchell
11. N. Reiwoldt
10. Pav
9. Mitchell
8. Hodge
7. Judd
6. Cooney
5. Richo
4. S. Thompson
3. Bartel
2. Buddy
1. Ablett

50. Glass
49. Bock
48. Mattner
47. N. Brown
46. Ling
45. Tuck
44. Gilbee
43. C. Cornes
42. porplyzia?? (spelling)
41. Dalziell
40. Sewell
39. Gibbs
38. Hille
37. Anthony
36. Newman
35. Goodes
34. Hille
33. Chapman
32. Sandilands
31. Palmer
30. R. Houlihan
29. Hall
28. S. Black
27. Deledio
26. Bateman
25. J. Selwood
24. Roughead
23. Mcleod
22. M. Mcveigh
21. J. Gram
20. B. Harvey
19. Scarlett
18. Kerr
17. Fev
16. J Brown
15. Corey
14. J Drummond
13. Cross
12. Mitchell
11. N. Reiwoldt
10. Pav
9. Mitchell
8. Hodge
7. Judd
6. Cooney
5. Richo
4. S. Thompson
3. Bartel
2. Buddy
1. Ablett

Bit high for mine
other than that looks good

Talkback callers on SEN recently have debated Ablett at 1.

I just couldn't believe it.
Ablett plays football on a different level from every other player.
He just doesn't seem to be playing the same game.
He plays a better game and at his own pace. Which is frantic, and decisions made quicker, and deadlier.

To all the deluded callers (probably Carltank supporters) sorry, Judd isn't Ablett.

The rest of the order will sort themselves out this year.

Bit high for mine
other than that looks good

yeah i did put drummond up a bit higher but i had forgot bout him till i was up to where he was and couldnt be bothered changing it all to put him up and i wasnt to sure where to put cooney as he is the reigning brownlow medel winner but we all know ablett would have won it if he didnt miss games

Talkback callers on SEN recently have debated Ablett at 1.

I just couldn't believe it.
Ablett plays football on a different level from every other player.
He just doesn't seem to be playing the same game.
He plays a better game and at his own pace. Which is frantic, and decisions made quicker, and deadlier.

To all the deluded callers (probably Carltank supporters) sorry, Judd isn't Ablett.

The rest of the order will sort themselves out this year.

Agree entirely. Ablett is head and shoulders above the rest of the comp at the moment. Was by far the rightful Norm Smith in 2008, and probably should have won the Brownlow too if that wasn't just a hopelessly flawed voting system.

That said, I would take Judd's 7 years ahead of Ablett's 6 years of AFL football so far. And I would take Franklin at Pick 1 in a heartbeat in an open draft, although just as much for his marketing potential than for onfield prowess.

It is lazy to use "goals kicked" as the only measure of the value of a forward. Just like "goals prevented" would not necessarily get a key backman into a Top (Insert Figure) list.

You kick the ball in the direction of a tall bloke often enough, especially one with so much support and talent around him, and you're gonna get more than 50 goals out of him (see Quentin Lynch, Chris Tarrant, etc).

Forwards I would select in my team for 2009 before Roughead include:

Franklin
J Brown
N Brown
N Riewoldt
M Pavlich
M Richardson
B Fevola
A Didak
T Cloke
R O'Keefe
P Chapman
S Johnson
(Maybe even Brad Johnson, Bradshaw and/or Lloyd, if it was just for 2009, maybe not?)

I originally said at least 10 forwards ... there's a dozen who I'd select before Roughhead, even as "second forward", just off the top of my head.

And don't get me started on midfielders who are superior players than him.

15th best player in the League? You're havin' a laugh ...

Its not me, it is a consensus view from the football world. Gerard Healy and Nathan Buckley both rated him the most likely to win the Coleman this year.

I rate him higher than all on that list EXCEPT Franklin, J Brown, M Pavlich and B Fevola. Most of whom have several years on him.

He is also a better power forward than M Richardson, N Riewoldt and R O'Keefe - who spend most of their time on the flank or up the ground.

You can't be serious about T Cloke, he isn't half the player Roughead is.

Mikes top 50 are
50 Bryce Gibbs
49 Grant Birchall
48 Kane Cornes
47 Drew Petrie
46 Dale Thomas
45 Chance Bateman
44 Brendon Goddard
43 Travis Cloke
42 Ryan Griffen
41 Brett Deledio
40 Simon Goodwin