Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

klinger unfortunately is just too old for these times. there's an obsession with youth. i love klinger. leads by example. but he's not in the frame. we should be back to a horses for courses selection policy, picking blokes in form for the fixtures at hand but we are still stuck in the "lets select 11 blokes who can play every test in all conditions for the next decade" mentality even though we just don't have that talent atm.

obviously for fergs to even be considered shows the powers that be aren't going on his record which is fairly average. they're going on the form he was showing just prior to his injury and his present form. its too soon to tell but he seems to have taken up where he left off. never know, maybe he'll bag a pair and that'll be that. but its his recent shape they're looking at not what he did 3 or 4 years ago. only 28.5% of statistics are accurate... that word temperament comes into it aswell and assumes a bigger role than normal atm cos we are a pack of cards. if he gets a game i'll back him to the hilt. love to see him do well and i reckon he would make the most of it. has shown good composure against world class attacks already, albeit in ODIs. i'd be equally stoked if khawaja got a cap and i can't wait to see hughes back in the team. blokes who are keen.

and north is crap. hits a ton when it never matters then does sfa. hit a ton in the draw in adelaide last week (survived a duck in the real world) then failed in both innings against the poms because his spot is prolly secure after that ton so he doesn't value his wicket as much as he can. shows no grit. i just want us to stop carrying blokes who don't perform when it matters while other blokes are giving it everything to get a cap. johnson can piss off too if he's not gonna lift.

Khawaja needs to have at least one consistent season at domestic level before he's considered for the Test team, Doherty can only be as effective as Haurtiz currently is and Bollinger is injured.
At least one consistent season? Hit 3 centuries and averaged 63.45 in 7 games last year, scoring 698 runs. Only reason he missed games was a broken thumb. Year before that he hit a couple of centuries in averaging 42.6 (equal to fergies best) in his first full season in first class cricket. Has started this year with a double century and a 60 on a pitch where 30 wickets fell in two days.

He's a gun.

Khawaja needs to have at least one consistent season at domestic level before he's considered for the Test team, Doherty can only be as effective as Haurtiz currently is and Bollinger is injured.

Have you mixed up Khawaja with some other player? Khawaja has been super consistent since coming into the NSW lineup, and has steadily improved each season to the point that he now has a FC average of 54, and averaged 63 last season. Compare that to Smith, who has had one phenomenal season after a subdued debut season of 4 FC matches averaging 30, Ferguson, who has never hit more than 2 centuries in a season and never averaged higher than 42, and White, who hasn't played a full FC season (due to international duties) in years. Absurd comment.

You'd be surprised at just how less effective a bowler could be than Hauritz. Sure, Haury had a poor tour of India, but he is solid, he does a job. Besides which, If you were going to replace him, replace him with a player who has a half-decent FC record. Steve O'Keefe fits that bill, but I would want to see him do it for longer (though if he takes a few bags between now and the first Test, who knows?). Doherty should be nowhere near the Test side though. If he can develop a FC game, then maybe.

Bollinger is a very good chance of playing for NSW in two days, let alone being ready for the first Test. Besides which, even if he wasn't ready, Siddle should be nowhere near the side. I'd rather Harris, George or even McKay. Siddle needs to play some domestic cricket, smarten up, and return to the side a more flexible, resilient and intelligent bowler than he is currently. He has the talent, he has bucketloads, but he's just plain dumb at the moment.

Of course the bad news for all the Siddle haters out there is he is returning to the ground which earnt him his test spot and the ground he has had his best test performance at in his short career and that will be freshest in the selectors minds when picking the squad to go with his performances already in 2 FC matches which saw the selectors rush him back into the coloured clothing for Australia, there will be some disappointed people this time next week :)

Of course the bad news for all the Siddle haters out there is he is returning to the ground which earnt him his test spot and the ground he has had his best test performance at in his short career and that will be freshest in the selectors minds when picking the squad to go with his performances already in 2 FC matches which saw the selectors rush him back into the coloured clothing for Australia, there will be some disappointed people this time next week :)

Yes, I have little doubt he'll be in the Test squad (though his mediocre ODI performances will hopefully have dampened the selectors' enthusiasm). That doesn't make it right though. Siddle was picked on potential, but he wasn't ready. He has shown flashes, but he's not up to international cricket yet. Mitchell bloody Starc came into the ODI side and made him look amateur (then again, he also embarrassed Johnson).

Who does Siddle replace in the Test side though? Surely not Doug?

Yes, I have little doubt he'll be in the Test squad (though his mediocre ODI performances will hopefully have dampened the selectors' enthusiasm). That doesn't make it right though. Siddle was picked on potential, but he wasn't ready. He has shown flashes, but he's not up to international cricket yet. Mitchell bloody Starc came into the ODI side and made him look amateur (then again, he also embarrassed Johnson).

Who does Siddle replace in the Test side though? Surely not Doug?
An unfit Bollinger or Hauritz

For the Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne tests he can replace Hilfy

if doug was on crutches i'd pick him before siddle. the poms would be barring up like twelve year olds if we gave old dung arm a run. did you not see his complete lack of control, discipline, penetration, wickets etc the last few days? he bowls poo pies and could well be ******ed.

you can't be serious that you would drop hilf and doug so siddle and johnson can pair up. wtf?

My team:

1. S.Marsh
2. Katich
3. Khawaja
4. Ferguson
5. White (C)
6. Smith
7. Paine (VC)
8. O'Keefe
9. Hilfenhaus
10. Bollinger
11. George/Starc

Explanation:

The most surprising exclusion is Ponting. Reason being, I assumed when I took the captaincy from him for the sole benefit of Australian cricket, he would leave, since he thinks his shit doesn't stink.

Next: Watson, gets dropped in single digits in 9/10 innings. Eventually, opposition teams will learn how to catch and while it may take the Indians 50 years to realise the importance of fielding, the English may catch on a little quicker. Pun intended. His replacement, Shaun Marsh. Sure, doesn't have a great first class record, but neither did the Waugh twins, the Chappells (minus Trevor), Border, etc etc before they played international cricket. Gotta get the players in before they're like Hussey and we only get 3 good years out of them...and 3 is being generous.

Speaking of Hussey, he's past it. Should be in the one day team for sure, but not the primal form of cricket. Ferguson in for the same reason as Marsh.

Clarke - Not a bad player. On playing alone, would easily be in the XI. But a guy who whinges that they don't get paid enough and play too much cricket and then says he is going to nomiate for IPL (which he later reneged when the media got onto it)....well, I just wish Ian Chappell was his captain....
His replacement, White. Brought in for leadership, as well as a decent first class record. Primarily as a batsman, offers a partnership breaker bowling also. Brilliant slips fieldsman.

Johnson - is in terrible form and quite frankly, always has been, except for the one good summer he had against South Africa. Can't even get a Sri Lankan number 10 out with 133 runs to spare. That isn't even the top of the list of his incompetencies....
Starc is magnificent, George not quite as good, but it seems he is above Starc in the test pecking order. Either way, not fussed. Hopefully, in the XI for 10+ years.

Hauritz - well his bowling is a joke. O'keefe is the best spinner in the country and although I don't expect him to be a long term prospect, he is the best we have now until we can find someone better. Please, don't even suggest Doherty, he is good in the coloured uniform, not so good in the whites.

Haddin - is a decent player. Only problem is, Tim Paine is better. Paine's glovework may be the best since Alan Knott, which easily compensates for what Haddin may have over him with the bat. Plus, we'll get many more years out of T-Pain.

And last, North. Well, magnificent state player. But conveniently scores a century or takes a 6-for whenever his test career is in doubt. Sorry Marcus, but one century every 8 tests is not good enough for Australia.
Steve Smith will provide an excellent option for number 6; has a solid defence incase of a collapse (not that i'm expecting one in this team) and an array of attacking strokes to make 450 into 550 in 15 offers to declare just before tea on day two at the Gabba. Offers 10-15 overs an innings with the ball as well.

Yes, we don't have North/Hauritz to spin it from left to right, but we do have Katich, who has been unbelievably under used by Ponting.

Problems: Don't have that 4th seam, medium option that Watson offers. But Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Starc should have no problems defending 500.

Honourable mentions: Phillip Hughes - had an amazing first class season in 2009-10, but has failed to back it up so far this summer. This team is picked on form and Hughes is not. A few more shield games could see Katich and Marsh looking over their shoulders....

Shane Watson - Is a solid all-rounder, but his batting lets him down, especially as an opener. When opposition teams learn to catch, will be less than half the player we have known over the last 18 months. Needs to find some patience also.

Clint McKay - could easily have been picked as the Glenn McGrath/Stuart Clark length and line bowler. Depending on the pitch at the Gabba and WACA, could easily take O'Keefe's place in the team.

klinger unfortunately is just too old for these times. there's an obsession with youth. i love klinger. leads by example. but he's not in the frame. we should be back to a horses for courses selection policy, picking blokes in form for the fixtures at hand but we are still stuck in the "lets select 11 blokes who can play every test in all conditions for the next decade" mentality even though we just don't have that talent atm..

Klinger's 30

Gilly was 28/29 - Hussey and North were 30ish.

Langer was 31 when he got back into the side at the oval

All of those blokes (aside from North) had many seasons of quality cricket.

I think people get caught up with the AFL mentality of cutting the old blokes and building with youth. There's no early draft picks if you get smashed for 2 years.

If Klinger could possibly play 50 quality tests over 4 years - then pick him.

We don't need every bloke playing for a decade.

An unfit Bollinger or Hauritz

For the Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne tests he can replace Hilfy

Seriously?

Siddle is not good enough. Get over it. Averages 32 at Test level, Bollinger averages 24. Hilfenhaus' record is not much better than Siddle's, but Hilfy can at least keep things tight and doesn't invite stick. Johnson is our erratic wicket taker, and he's better at it than Siddle.

We know you love your Vics, but Siddle is seriously ordinary right now.

Oh, and regarding Jono23's post.... well, it's good to know our selectors could always be worse, right? Seriously, that team would lose to Bangladesh.

And last, North. Well, magnificent state player. But conveniently scores a century or takes a 6-for whenever his test career is in doubt.

North isn't a magnificent state player. North is a decent state cricketer.

His record is worthy of long term state selection - but magnificent would be Siddons, Law, Love, Maher etc etc

North's start to his test career was one out of the box - and as a WA boy I was happy to see it. But class is permanent - and North isn't class.

His record is worthy of long term state selection - but magnificent would be Siddons, Law, Love, Maher etc etc

North's start to his test career was one out of the box - and as a WA boy I was happy to see it. But class is permanent - and North isn't class.

Fair point mate. Regardless, shouldn't be in test team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite T Shirt Says

"Form is Temporary - Class Is Permanent" Ian Botham 1990

Probably the most relevant comment on this thread

1. Katich
2. Watson
3. Ponting (C)
4. Clarke
5. Khawaja
6. Hussey (drops down a spot; failure in this test should spell the end)
7. Paine
8. Hauritz (should be batting before Johnson; under pressure to hold his spot)
9. Johnson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger
12th: Smith

Actually want to have a decent debate and elaborate?

I'll contribute.

Watson is our best batsman at the moment. He doesn't get dropped nearly as much as you seem to remember, he is a gun, and he and Katich are arguably the only batsmen keeping Australian cricket respectable right now. Not to mention that he's arguably our most effective bowler. If only he could bowl more than a part-timer's load. :(

Marsh, on the other hand, has never shown anything of value in FC cricket, and is so far away from the Australian Test team it's not funny. If you HAD to drop Watson, Hughes is next in line, and by a long, long, LOOOOONG way.

Ponting is a gun, and is definitely within our best XI. The same with Clarke. We would be a much, MUCH worse side without them. Nobody in their right mind would think of dropping them right now.

Johnson is frustrating but he takes wickets, and is ultimately in our best side (at least considering current injuries). George played well on debut, I like him, but he's not in our best team. Starc is a borderline selection NSW, let alone Australia.

I'll contribute.

Watson is our best batsman at the moment. He doesn't get dropped nearly as much as you seem to remember, he is a gun, and he and Katich are arguably the only batsmen keeping Australian cricket respectable right now. Not to mention that he's arguably our most effective bowler. If only he could bowl more than a part-timer's load. :(

Marsh, on the other hand, has never shown anything of value in FC cricket, and is so far away from the Australian Test team it's not funny. If you HAD to drop Watson, Hughes is next in line, and by a long, long, LOOOOONG way.

Ponting is a gun, and is definitely within our best XI. The same with Clarke. We would be a much, MUCH worse side without them. Nobody in their right mind would think of dropping them right now.

Johnson is frustrating but he takes wickets, and is ultimately in our best side (at least considering current injuries). George played well on debut, I like him, but he's not in our best team. Starc is a borderline selection NSW, let alone Australia.

I can see why people like Watson and as I said in my explanation, he is solid. But, he does get dropped in single digits in most innings.

Evidently, you also didn't read my explanation about Clarke's and Ponting's exclusions.

Johnson could be in our test team in the future. But needs to improve to be international standard. Starc is a gun if you've watched any shield games.

I can see why people like Watson and as I said in my explanation, he is solid. But, he does get dropped in single digits in most innings.

Evidently, you also didn't read my explanation about Clarke's and Ponting's exclusions.

Johnson could be in our test team in the future. But needs to improve to be international standard. Starc is a gun if you've watched any shield games.

He does not get dropped in single digits in "most innings". That is a ridiculous claim. Watson is more than solid, he is averaging 50 since becoming an opener.

I did read your explanations about Clarke and Ponting, and they are ludicrous. Absolutely no reason to drop two well-performing members of a Test side.

Johnson is international standard. He's not fantastic, but he takes wickets. He's our most reliable wicket taker.

And yes, I've seen Starc in Shield games. He's alright, but he's terribly inconsistent. And I'm a NSW supporter, remember. Starc is nowhere near ready for Test cricket, and is behind Copeland, Clark and Cameron at NSW.

Klinger's 30

Gilly was 28/29 - Hussey and North were 30ish.

Langer was 31 when he got back into the side at the oval

All of those blokes (aside from North) had many seasons of quality cricket.

I think people get caught up with the AFL mentality of cutting the old blokes and building with youth. There's no early draft picks if you get smashed for 2 years.

If Klinger could possibly play 50 quality tests over 4 years - then pick him.

We don't need every bloke playing for a decade.

I really doubt Klinger will produce the same amount of runs as those players you have mentioned. He is certaintly capable but it would take a miracle for him to be the next Gilly.

I think that if we had to select an inexperienced national player for Brisbane then Ferguson and Khawaja would be better options.

I do agree with you to some extent on that cricketers age differently to AFL players but I'm sure most would agree that it would be better to have Usman Khawaja playing for 10 years than to have to find two Michael Klinger type players for the duration of 10 years.

He does not get dropped in single digits in "most innings". That is a ridiculous claim. Watson is more than solid, he is averaging 50 since becoming an opener.

I did read your explanations about Clarke and Ponting, and they are ludicrous. Absolutely no reason to drop two well-performing members of a Test side.

Johnson is international standard. He's not fantastic, but he takes wickets. He's our most reliable wicket taker.

And yes, I've seen Starc in Shield games. He's alright, but he's terribly inconsistent. And I'm a NSW supporter, remember. Starc is nowhere near ready for Test cricket, and is behind Copeland, Clark and Cameron at NSW.

Sorry mate, but you need to watch more cricket if you think it's a ridiculous claim. He averages more than 50 because he gets dropped.
And regarding Clarke and Ponting, are you refuting that Ponting isn't egotistical and Clarke didn't whinge about being over-played and under paid? :rolleyes:

I think Bollinger is our most reliable wicket taker now. Don't dwell on Johnson's summer against South Africa. Was Healy ready for test cricket when he debuted? No and we know how good he turned out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back