Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry mate, but you need to watch more cricket if you think it's a ridiculous claim. He averages more than 50 because he gets dropped.

Bullshit. He averages 50 because he is a quality batsman. Every batsman gets dropped occasionally, but Watson no more so than anybody else. You're selectively using something that happens to everybody to fuel a preconceived notion about Watson's ability. Nobody in their right mind would drop Watson.

And regarding Clarke and Ponting, are you refuting that Ponting isn't egotistical and Clarke didn't whinge about being over-played and under paid? :rolleyes:

No, I'm refuting the claim that these are legitimate reasons to drop them.

I think Bollinger is our most reliable wicket taker now. Don't dwell on Johnson's summer against South Africa. Was Healy ready for test cricket when he debuted? No and we know how good he turned out.

I'm not dwelling on Johnson's summer against South Africa at all. Even on his India form, he's in our best side. His bowling looks rubbish, but it takes wickets. His lack of consistency occasionally puts pressure on his teammates, but he can take wickets from nowhere, against the flow. It's a very handy quality to have.

Why Starc? If you were going to go for a young bowler, there are others who are closer and more ready.

Bullshit. He averages 50 because he is a quality batsman. Every batsman gets dropped occasionally, but Watson no more so than anybody else. You're selectively using something that happens to everybody to fuel a preconceived notion about Watson's ability. Nobody in their right mind would drop Watson.

No, I'm refuting the claim that these are legitimate reasons to drop them.

I'm not dwelling on Johnson's summer against South Africa at all. Even on his India form, he's in our best side. His bowling looks rubbish, but it takes wickets. His lack of consistency occasionally puts pressure on his teammates, but he can take wickets from nowhere, against the flow. It's a very handy quality to have.

Why Starc? If you were going to go for a young bowler, there are others who are closer and more ready.

Well we can sit here and debate all day about Watson. He gets dropped in most innings in single digits, which is an objective observation. However, you think he is quality, I don't. You're entitled to your opinion.

I said Ponting would quit if the captaincy got taken off him. Not that I'd drop him. And Ian Chappell and Border would have no hesitations in dropping a player who whined like Clarke did back in '08. Admittedly, he has been better over the last year.

In my team I said Starc or George. Starc is still developing, but I believe exposure to the test arena would only enhance his development. However, if haters gonna hate, George is an option I'd be more than happy with.

Well we can sit here and debate all day about Watson. He gets dropped in most innings in single digits, which is an objective observation. However, you think he is quality, I don't. You're entitled to your opinion.

It is not an objective observation at all. You have provided absolutely no evidence. It is completely baseless.

I said Ponting would quit if the captaincy got taken off him. Not that I'd drop him. And Ian Chappell and Border would have no hesitations in dropping a player who whined like Clarke did back in '08. Admittedly, he has been better over the last year.

But Ponting shouldn't have the captaincy taken off him. You are essentially dropping him by stripping him of the captaincy. Ponting will be captain until the day he retires from Test cricket, and that is how it should be.

As for Clarke, you are making a mountain out of a molehill, and if Clarke was dropped for it, it would be a disgrace.

In my team I said Starc or George. Starc is still developing, but I believe exposure to the test arena would only enhance his development. However, if haters gonna hate, George is an option I'd be more than happy with.

George isn't ahead of Johnson either. I like George, I like him a lot, but Johnson is producing results. Harris should be ahead of George as well.

if doug was on crutches i'd pick him before siddle. the poms would be barring up like twelve year olds if we gave old dung arm a run. did you not see his complete lack of control, discipline, penetration, wickets etc the last few days? he bowls poo pies and could well be ******ed.

you can't be serious that you would drop hilf and doug so siddle and johnson can pair up. wtf?

Line crossed mate, edit your post.

They are all out there doing the best they can and don't deserve things like this. Fair criticism is fair, abuse hiding behind a keyboard is pathetic.

It is not an objective observation at all. You have provided absolutely no evidence. It is completely baseless.

But Ponting shouldn't have the captaincy taken off him. You are essentially dropping him by stripping him of the captaincy. Ponting will be captain until the day he retires from Test cricket, and that is how it should be.

As for Clarke, you are making a mountain out of a molehill, and if Clarke was dropped for it, it would be a disgrace.

George isn't ahead of Johnson either. I like George, I like him a lot, but Johnson is producing results. Harris should be ahead of George as well.

Ponting is a terrible captain. Lost 2 ashes series, more than likely a third, countless t20's, one dayers and tests by poor bowling choices, terrible field placings and countless times batting on a wet pitch and then wonders why we get skittled for 120.... Don't get me wrong, fabulous batsman and fieldsman though.

I agree with you about Harris though, he is a good player. Personally, I think he has missed the boat though, he's 31, George is 23 and Starc 20. Have to develop the youth and get rid of this Dad's Army mentality Hilditch et.al are stuck in.

so jono23 if you get dropped on 1 and then make a century. thats a good enough reason to be dropped.

well if you had bothered to read my explanation, which, evidently you didn't, then you would be aware I said that teams around the world will eventually get their fielding right and Watson will be lucky to make 10 an innings. Get him to go back to shield, refine his game and play conservatively at the start of his innings and he'll be a much better player than he is now and someone we can rely on at the top of the order. As it stands, Marsh is a safer option as test opener.

well if you had bothered to read my explanation, which, evidently you didn't, then you would be aware I said that teams around the world will eventually get their fielding right and Watson will be lucky to make 10 an innings. Get him to go back to shield, refine his game and play conservatively at the start of his innings and he'll be a much better player than he is now and someone we can rely on at the top of the order. As it stands, Marsh is a safer option as test opener.

As he is yet a play a game that's impossible to know.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here.
Without Watson we wouldn'tve won a test in the last two years, guaranteed.
And Marsh is a spud.

Don't know if anyone has said this... but why are the idiots at CA picking this team BEFORE the warm up matches? They pick Hussey and North, both fail twice and they will have giant egg on their faces.

easy the selectors are not good at there jobs and really have no clue what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

confusing messages coming out aswell. chappel talking about a meritocracy and saying selections will be made on domestic form and hilditch saying hussey's previous service and average will be taken into account. the fact they will announce the team before the Aus-A game would suggest there'll be no changes

sounds like a pissing contest between chappell and hilldich,going by what gregs done everywhere hes gone he will go for abit of youth and fresh blood (maybe 2 batting changes),if hilldich gets his way it will be no change.

sounds like a pissing contest between chappell and hilldich,going by what gregs done everywhere hes gone he will go for abit of youth and fresh blood (maybe 2 batting changes),if hilldich gets his way it will be no change.
Gosh I wish GC was replacing Hildick and not coming in to a role just beneath him.

We must never forget that the Australian XI is a rep side, not a club team, we need to pick the best eleven Australian cricketers and if there's ever a whif of a boys club going on with favourites outdoing their stay because of, well, favouritism, then that's how a clear no.1 test nation becomes say fourth or fifth in the world.... oh wait.

There was never going to be any (non injury) changes to the team.

The selectors feel that

katich
watson
ponting
clarke
hussey
north
haddin
johnson
hauritz
hilfenhaus
bollinger

is some sort of untouchable super team, the fact that this is the core group of players who in the lst 2 years have constantly collapsed under pressure with both bat and ball seems irrelevant to the selectors and short of getting thumped in the ashes nothing will dissuade them from that view.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

12th Bollinger

Back Up Bat: Usman

Spinner: Smith

I know hauritz hasn't been great the last few matches but it's mind boggling that people think smith could seriously be part of a four man bowling attack.

Smith is simply nowhere near being a frontline test bowler.

Agreed, especially not with Johnson also a part of that four man attack. Puts way too much pressure on the other two if neither of them can get it right.

Say what you like about Hauritz (I'm not a big fan) but the guy is economical and bowls tidy lines.

Agreed, especially not with Johnson also a part of that four man attack. Puts way too much pressure on the other two if neither of them can get it right.

Say what you like about Hauritz (I'm not a big fan) but the guy is economical and bowls tidy lines.

Not even with McGrath, Ambrose and Donald would you have Smith as part of a four man attack.

If he's going to make the team it should be his batting that does it because right now he's so far away from international quality with the ball. Let him have a good season or so where he takes wickets and doesn't go for mountains of runs before he's considered a frontline bowler.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here.
Without Watson we wouldn'tve won a test in the last two years, guaranteed.
And Marsh is a spud.

Wrong. Completely wrong. THAT is THE stupidest thing I have ever read on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back