Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind Ferguson get a game either.
Smith at number 6 will officially not work in this series. Hauritz gets the gig.

Watson
Katich
Khawaja
Clarke
Ponting
White
Paine
Smith
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Great bowling attack IMO, Bollinger as your up and down pacer, Johnson with a bit of X factor and Hilfy the swinger.

Watson can chip in for a few overs and is a proven wicket taker.

Smith will be played as primarily a spinner, and will develop into the role pretty well (and TBH there is no better option IMO.) katich can bowl chinamens and White played 4 tests as a frontline spinner already.

Batting is solid with Watson just about the most in form in the world. Katich has a few seasons left and as shown by his past 3 years is averaging around the 50 mark. These 2 also work well as a combination.

Ponting needs to drop down the order (ala Allan Border) and Khawaja should be given the chance to develop at number 3. White is in the prime of his career and has the ability to play technique or completely belt them out of the park if needed. (Very similar to Symonds IMO)

Khawaja is inexperienced and the weakest part of the batting lineup to me is 3-4, however with Ponting at no.5 I think this sures up the middle order nicely.

That side would win the ashes 5-0…

Bats:
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
Katich

Quick bowlers (3of the following)
Bolly
Siddle
Hilfy
Johnson
Harris

Keeper
Paine
Hadden

That leaves 2 batting and spinner spot up for grabs.

If I was picking the team it would be white/Freguson/Hughes/Khawaja
Spinner well its between Nathan and Smith, but we could go with four quicks.

People really need to lose this idea that Smith is able to come in as our spinner, if he is to come in it is as our number 6 batsmen. He is first and foremost a batsmen and a part time bowler. This is the exact same thing that happened to Cam White when he was younger.
FWIW the last two batsmen to score as many centuries as Smith last season at the same age were Ricky Ponting and Damien Martyn, let's not **** him up by having him focus to much on his bowling.

This is my choice. Experience with a sprinkling of youth. A good mix of left and right handers in the top 4 with fast starts from watson and hughes. Ponting needs to be dropped to 6 which will give the middle order some experience along with Katich. Ferguson oozes class for his age. Paine, Smith and Johnson can make quick runs when required but can also bat sensibly when we have a collapse. As for bowlers well its a bit of a lottery as i feel they are all about par with each other. Id like to dream and have Tait in there but that will not happen.

1.Watson
2. Hughes
3. Clarke
4. Katich
5. Ferguson
6. Ponting
7. Paine
8. Smith
9. Johnson
10. Bollinger
11. Hilfenhaus

1.Watson
2. Hughes
3. Clarke
4. Katich
5. Ferguson
6. Ponting
7. Paine
8. Smith
9. Johnson
10. Bollinger
11. Hilfenhaus

I like your side apart from Smith, he's not a test match bowler yet, he appears to have no consistent control. Hauritz would have to still be ahead of him for now. But I hope very much that the next year brings a turnaround in the fortunes of the spin bowlers - a vast improvement by Smith for a start and some real consistency from SOK/Doherty - as Hauritz is not really test class.

Batting

Watson: I am not a huge fan of Watto TBH, I think he is a good player but is a pretty boy who will rarely put in a hard fought match-winning innings, I am not confident he will fire in the ashes but he is capable.

Katich I don't mind "The Kat" as a player as he will just put down the anchor most of the time and stay at the crease for a fair while slowly but surely putting runs on the board.

Ponting (C): It's time to go mate, you have given a lot to the game of cricket but how 'bout we make this your last Ashes. Cool?

Ferguson For the next generation of Australian cricket this guy must be given a go, Hussey is well past his prime and I am sure Ferguson will grab the opportunity with both hands.

Clarke: Same as Hussey but has a better girlfriend. :D

North Has been guilty of only firing in the easier games, needs to step up in the biggest tests of the year.

Keepers

Paine This kid has shown what he can do in ODI an T20 forms but can he play tests as well? Time will tell. Keep Haddin on stand-by.

Bowling

Mitch Johnson Statistically the best bowler we have, must be played but not a certainty to fire but hopefully he does as we need him to.

Smith Can bowl and bat, has only played two tests so as with Paine and Ferguson has played less than 2 tests.

Bollinger Has the aggression and will to succed, is very consistent too so should fire.

Hilfenhaus Was playing very good cricket until getting injured last year, will be competing with Siddle for the number 11.

That is my personal take on the best 11 for the first test, I don;t really like the squad as the era has ended that had Warne, Langer, Hayden and co. who were undisputed champions of our game, therefore a new era must begin and that will involve having to play players like Smith, Ferguson and Paine to try and create a new dynasty in Australian cricket.

That was the best squad I could come up with, I am sure though that the selectors wont pick all of Smith, Ferguson and paine in the First XI.

My 2 cents.

Thoughts appreciated.

Batting

Watson: I am not a huge fan of Watto TBH, I think he is a good player but is a pretty boy who will rarely put in a hard fought match-winning innings, I am not confident he will fire in the ashes but he is capable.

That is a fairly outdated view imo. He was a bit of a whinger but seems to have changed his attitude a bit and you have to give people a chance to change. He is our best player in the team imo and I would be very surprised if he doesn't get on top of England the same way he has got on top of everybody the last 2 years.

Here is my TEST XI

Shane Watson
Usman Khawaja
Ricky Ponting (CAPTAIN)
Cameron White
Michael Clarke
Stephen Smith
Tim Paine
Mitchell Johnson
Xavier Doherty
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhauss

Cameron White has to play in this test series to prepare him for the vice captaincy role to Michael Clarke or the captaincy role. He is ready to play test cricket.

Stephen Smith is in the side as a batsman who can bowl a couple of overs of leg spin. People have to remember that Shane Warne gained his leg spin bowling experience by spending an offseason at the AIS Academy in Adelaide in 1992. Stephen Smith is in a similar boat to SK Warne back in 1992.

THE GOVERNOR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its amazing how short people memories are re: Siddle
He has potential, he has talent, but he needs to get smarter and more consistent. He's not in our best 3-4 quicks at the moment. Bollinger, Johnson, Hilfy and probably Harris are ahead of him. He'll be back eventually, there's little doubt about that, but at the moment, Johnson is a similar sort of bowler (quick strike bowler, and can be a workhorse when needed), and is getting the job done (even if nobody can quite figure out how).

Siddle over Bollinger? Really?

Doherty over Bollinger is more surprising to me.

I'm not sure why people have this osbession that we need to have a full time spinner in the side. Regardless of team balance our 4th best quick is going to be much more economical and take more wickets than our best spinner. You pick your 4 best bowlers, worrying about what 'style' they bowl is overrated.

I have heard Hilditch on radio talking about team structures and how Swann has a good record against left handers and how we are going to combat that.... watch out M. Hussey.

I have heard Hilditch on radio talking about team structures and how Swann has a good record against left handers and how we are going to combat that.... watch out M. Hussey.

You reckon they will get rid of Hussey before North? I'd be surprised, really surprised TBH.

Doherty over Bollinger is more surprising to me.

I'm not sure why people have this osbession that we need to have a full time spinner in the side. Regardless of team balance our 4th best quick is going to be much more economical and take more wickets than our best spinner. You pick your 4 best bowlers, worrying about what 'style' they bowl is overrated.

Remind me what happened at the Oval last time we went in with 4 quicks...you are dead set gambling by not playing some form of spinner. We already have 4 quicks..we have Watson!

My ideal XI:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Watson
Paine
Smith/Hauritz/Doherty
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

It won't happen as there are too many changes but I would love to see this side. Watson would provide stability in the middle order and we could utilise his bowling more.
We need a spinner but I don't think it matters who is selected, none of them are match winners against quality batting.

Having read how little preperation Bollinger will have before this series (Won't start bowling till next week, only warmup game will be a Shield game 8 days before the first test), I'd be opposed to him playing the First Test. I'd rather get him right so he's at his best for 4 Tests, than have him hobbling along for 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back