Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

It's because his bowling is absolute shit.

But that's a complete and utter myth. He is a perfectly adequate part-time bowler. He never should have been selected as our front line spinner for India, but he is more than capable of sending down a few overs, giving the other bowlers a rest, and just occasionally picking up a wicket or two.

White's bowling > North's.

So ah, I'm not the only one happy Hussey and North failed surely. They need to get replaced in the middle order before the Ashes not after the Ashes when it's too late, any of Khawaja, Smith, White and Ferguson will do me.
Just fix it, we have been waiting for Hussey to refind form for the last 18-24 months. Blind Freddy can see it isn't going to happen.

But that's a complete and utter myth. He is a perfectly adequate part-time bowler. He never should have been selected as our front line spinner for India, but he is more than capable of sending down a few overs, giving the other bowlers a rest, and just occasionally picking up a wicket or two.

White's bowling > North's.

North is a far superior bowler than White, he is an absolute pie chucker. I'm a big of the guy with the bat (and he should be the T20 captain) but White should never be given the ball at international level.

North is a far superior bowler than White, he is an absolute pie chucker. I'm a big of the guy with the bat (and he should be the T20 captain) but White should never be given the ball at international level.

I respectfully disagree. I know stats aren't the be all and end all, but he has 172 FC wickets in 108 matches, at an average of 40 and SR of 68. For a part-timer, that's very, very good.

He's not a genuine allrounder, but I definitely reckon he's good enough to send down a few overs every now and then. It's nothing to design a team around, just a small bonus.

I respectfully disagree. I know stats aren't the be all and end all, but he has 172 FC wickets in 108 matches, at an average of 40 and SR of 68. For a part-timer, that's very, very good.

He's not a genuine allrounder, but I definitely reckon he's good enough to send down a few overs every now and then. It's nothing to design a team around, just a small bonus.

Have you ever watched him bowl??? Seriously it is garbage, he is captain and he never bowls himself for Victoria FFS.

Theres a reason white doesnt bowl anymore. He cant control the ball.

He's a batsman, not an allrounder.

if we're gonna play a batsman on the back of his bowling it should prolly be smith. he's young and he shows potential to develope his bowling. got a good attacking attitude aswell. he's obviously in the queue after playing the paki tests. we all know what white can do with the ball and it isn't much

gonna be hard to ignore the calls for huss and north to be replaced now. hopefully they play the WA tour game and get knocked over cheap then fergs comes out in the SA tour game and spanks a glorious double ton:thumbsu:

Have you ever watched him bowl??? Seriously it is garbage, he is captain and he never bowls himself for Victoria FFS.

I have watched him bowl, it's not garbage, nor is it phenomenal. I have no idea why he never bowls himself for Vic.

Theres a reason white doesnt bowl anymore. He cant control the ball.

He's a batsman, not an allrounder.

North is a batman too. As is Clarke. As is Katich. All can roll their arm over too. He's not a genuine allrounder, and I never claimed he was.

Honestly, you don't pick up 172 FC wickets bowling rubbish.

Khawaja is ahead of Ferguson for mine.
Khawaja shouldn't be played in the number 5 or 6 spot though, he should be kept in the waiting, improving his game until Ponting retires at the end of the Ashes. Then he can come in and take the number 3 spot, as he is the best number 3 going around at the moment by far.

Khawaja shouldn't be played in the number 5 or 6 spot though, he should be kept in the waiting, improving his game until Ponting retires at the end of the Ashes. Then he can come in and take the number 3 spot, as he is the best number 3 going around at the moment by far.

A good number 3 should be able to bat at 5 or 6 no problem. He can do his apprenticeship there, before moving up to 3 later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ponting started at 6 before moving to 3 and he went alright, better to work on your game at 5-6 at test level then at 3 in State comp.

talk of cameron white bowling ? :D
talk of a 23yo debutant slipping straight into #3 in an ashes test team? :confused:

watson
katich
ponting
clarke
hussey.. will need a ton before xmas or hes out for boxing day for usman.
ferguson
haddin until he gets injured, then paine an easy replacement.
smith / horry if they really must.
johnson, although im sick of him bowling wide tripe at the return crease.
hilfenhaus
bollinger

although smith's bowling is touch and go, hes still young as we know so cut him some slack. hussey skating on thin ice until he can be replaced with khawaja in the 3rd or 4th test if a lack of form continues. cant fill the ashes team with younguns completely from day 1. but certainly pi$$ north off straaaaight away. even if thats the only change. north for ferg. katich needs to bowl more overs.. like last yr. bit worried about the fitness/form of our bowling stocks all round though. where and when will we take 20 wickets (in the 1 test)?

I was at the Gabba yesterday (as was David Boon).

Khawaja looks like the next batsmen picked. Hughes has gone backwards in a big way. Khawaja just looks the goods if Hussey or North are dropped.

Sorry but that is BS. What makes someone able to bat at 3 and not 5 or 6?? Most top order batsmen start their career down the order. Then they have to prove themselves and then they get shifted upwards. Ferguson is not a good option in test cricket at the moment, he might be a good enough option to bat at 5 or 6 but he will never be a good enough option to bat in our top order and that what separates Khawaja from him.

Personally I would have him coming in at No. 4 after Ponting and before Clarke.

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Ferguson
Clarke
White
Haddin
Johnson
Doherty
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger (12th)

Hussey is averaging mid 30s over his past 20-odd tests... is 35 and time to go from tests

North is very inconsistant and White could be future leader and do as good a job with the bat and gun first slipper

Doherty is the form spinner in Australia and has stepped up another level with the ball this year

Doherty is the form spinner in Australia and has stepped up another level with the ball this year
I see Doherty as more of a one day bowler tbh, very good at keeping one end tight.

Anyway, this would be my team:
Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Ferguson (I think this is gaining momentum, either him or Khawaja will be there first Test over North I reckon, even though I've struggled to believe this in the past)
Paine (but it will be Haddin)
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Katich
watson
ponting
clarke
khawaja
north
haddin
johnson
siddle
hilfenhaus
bollinger

This should be the side. I am not a fan of Marcus North but he needs to stay in to bowl his spinners without Hauritz in the team. For the spinning pitches I would bring in Hauritz and probably leave north out for Hussey/Ferguson/White.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back