Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoying what Taylor is doing. Just has that sense of when to do a little knock-on, when he has the time to look for an option, and when it has to be jammed on the boot quick. He is playing out the game just fine too, considering how far behind he was last year in terms of fitness - Darren Burgess, take a bow.

I’ve been waiting for Taylor to play some consecutive games at AFL, and I’m so glad to see him do well. He seems more like a Soligo mould, with some nice skills and tenacity. I really love his tackling technique as well with that 1st-quarter tackle and goal being the highlight. He definitely has a future as a midfielder at AFL level.

I’ve been waiting for Taylor to play some consecutive games at AFL, and I’m so glad to see him do well. He seems more like a Soligo mould, with some nice skills and tenacity. I really love his tackling technique as well with that 1st-quarter tackle and goal being the highlight. He definitely has a future as a midfielder at AFL level.

I was pretty flat after the end of season for us, and most people were when dissecting the final game, (GBU) and the season. But wanted to acknowledge the very decent game of Zac Taylor against Sydney. Kicked 3 goals, and could have had 2 more if he held a mark and snapped a shot on goal more accurately. Also was involved in extracting the ball to others on a couple of occasions that set up some creative linking play. I’ve really liked him for a while, and had heard Burgess spruiking him as a mid before the season started. Not many believed it when I said this on here, and were saying he was well back in the order of mids. I’m glad for Zac’s sake he has got a look in the seniors, and got a number of CBA’s. A few of the commentators have said that they like what he brings to the midfield.
I hope with any trades we bring in that we don’t forget some of the glimpses of good form from Zac and the other promising youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of the smartest players on our list. Hope we give him opportunity, and thus incentive to stay
I hope he uses his time off to his advantage, maybe even get a running coach in to improve his endurance like quite a few of the players have done in the past. Hopefully he's learnt that hard lesson and gets motivated to lock in a best 22 spot.

I hope he uses his time off to his advantage, maybe even get a running coach in to improve his endurance like quite a few of the players have done in the past. Hopefully he's learnt that hard lesson and gets motivated to lock in a best 22 spot.
Fitness should be the main focus for a few guys on our list, honestly (including Soligo/Curtin)

Need a greater ability from our younger players to run out games/seasons, whilst still being able to use their best weapons. Hopefully Burgess is staying to help with this

This is purely based on vibes but why do I get the feeling this guy will bail out of the club as soon as his contract is up?
I think that only happens if he had keen Vic suitors and we're not offering him a reasonable contract. At this point would he have other clubs queueing up?

I doubt it?

This is purely based on vibes but why do I get the feeling this guy will bail out of the club as soon as his contract is up?
My fear is we try to push him out this year and put him on the trade table because we signed Berry.

I prefer Taylor over Berry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see that happening. The club seems to rate him.

Yep, Nicks got him into the side as soon as possible....

Waiting until round 16 to get into the side was ridiculous.

Who could blame him wanting out, he had to watch McHenry and Murphy getting games in front of him for the last 3 years.

Yep, Nicks got him into the side as soon as possible....

Waiting until round 16 to get into the side was ridiculous.

Who could blame him wanting out, he had to watch McHenry and Murphy getting games in front of him for the last 3 years.

Round 16 was certainly too late, but Taylor is one of the rare cases where I don't blame the club for not playing him earlier. Spent his first year struggling with fitness, his second year was destroyed by a Lisfranc injury, and he had some injury and concussion issues earlier this year.

The main issue I have is with us using him as a sub two weeks in a row in rounds 22 and 23. That was pretty rough.

He thinks Murphy is GAJ. Explains everything you need to know.

I couldn't ever imagine Nicks dropping GAJ.

Murphy is seen as a 18--22nd player, and has been treated around that mark. He likely doesn't have a spot next year with AVB coming abroad, much like McHenry didn't have a spot once Keays got shifted to the forward line.

Murphy is seen as a 18--22nd player, and has been treated around that mark. He likely doesn't have a spot next year with AVB coming abroad, much like McHenry didn't have a spot once Keays got shifted to the forward line.

This is Colonel Dunce we are talking about.

What evidence of that is there? An 18-22nd player should get dropped at the slightest dip in form, let alone playing 95% of games poorly.
Hes been given the best player/captain performance treatment this year.

Last edited:
I was pretty flat after the end of season for us, and most people were when dissecting the final game, (GBU) and the season. But wanted to acknowledge the very decent game of Zac Taylor against Sydney. Kicked 3 goals, and could have had 2 more if he held a mark and snapped a shot on goal more accurately. Also was involved in extracting the ball to others on a couple of occasions that set up some creative linking play. I’ve really liked him for a while, and had heard Burgess spruiking him as a mid before the season started. Not many believed it when I said this on here, and were saying he was well back in the order of mids. I’m glad for Zac’s sake he has got a look in the seniors, and got a number of CBA’s. A few of the commentators have said that they like what he brings to the midfield.
I hope with any trades we bring in that we don’t forget some of the glimpses of good form from Zac and the other promising youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As far as I can tell, Zac has shown similar potential to that of Rachele and Soligo, despite not having played as many AFL games. All have genuine footy talent and brain with matching skills. All can play as midfield/forward too. If Nicks can recognise the talent of Rachele and Soligo from the get go, fair chance he can see Zac’s talent.

I hope he does a stellar preseason, with the confidence if he can up his fitness, he’ll almost be a lock-in as a regular starter next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back