Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me laugh. Lose games - list isn’t good enough. Win games- how good is Hamish.

Nicks just skates through.

It is staggering. I love how people are satisfied with honourable losses and beating up on 14th placed sides in a year we were supposed to play finals. Nicks shits the bed but gets celebrated for this crap.

Makes me laugh. Lose games - list isn’t good enough. Win games- how good is Hamish.

Nicks just skates through.
I mean I think the general sentiment (these days, anyway) is still that Nicks is out of his depth, win or lose

One example being (to keep this thread on track) that Taylor should’ve debuted a good amount earlier in the season

Probably with a few poster exceptions, but naturally the noise is louder after a loss rather than after a win

I mean I think the general sentiment (these days, anyway) is still that Nicks is out of his depth, win or lose

One example being (to keep this thread on track) that Taylor should’ve debuted a good amount earlier in the season

Probably with a few poster exceptions, but naturally the noise is louder after a loss rather than after a win
Also thinking about the club and Silvers. “Lose we don’t have the list” so when Nicks wins with the same list playing kids he didn’t previously doesn’t that through the list issue out the window?

Also thinking about the club and Silvers. “Lose we don’t have the list” so when Nicks wins with the same list playing kids he didn’t previously doesn’t that through the list issue out the window?

Yes and shows the narrative was crap PR in a blind attempt to back Nicks selection policies. Perhaps again demonstrating that Silvers is not a man up to the job as much as Nicks is.

Yeah the club line is confusing to say the least

Was it confusing or was Silvers given the excuse by Nicks our list is poor all year and our losses were as a result so Silvers ran with it preparing the supporters for pain. Instead we get what most of us knew all along that our young players were actually not too bad and knocking the door down at selection which Nicks ignored.

So which is it?

Is our list poor? or is Nicks selection policies so inherently flawed combined with what was a horrendous game plan?

Our young players are exposing Nicks here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry, but you can’t blame lack of development as the reason why Jones, Ned, Galluci and Mcasey are not up to it. Recruiting is not an easy job. But let’s call a spade a space here. Hamish has failed at the most crucial phase of our rebuild. You can’t argue against that.

I’d argue that poor development played abig role in the player Jones has become. The rest I agree

Feels a bit revisionist, he's playing well now so he should've played earlier. Truth is he missed most of last year with injury and had an ok but unspectacular start to the year, a lot of games with mid teen possession counts - I think it's fair to ask more of your SANFL mids to demand a game, especially when we were still in the finals race. He hit some form, we got a couple of injuries and he gets a game. Pretty standard process, not everything needs to have a negative attached.

Feels a bit revisionist, he's playing well now so he should've played earlier. Truth is he missed most of last year with injury and had an ok but unspectacular start to the year, a lot of games with mid teen possession counts - I think it's fair to ask more of your SANFL mids to demand a game, especially when we were still in the finals race. He hit some form, we got a couple of injuries and he gets a game. Pretty standard process, not everything needs to have a negative attached.
Looking at his SANFL stats, he had a couple of strings of good games before getting his debut (via injury late out, no less). The annoying thing is that it doesn’t get immediately rewarded, like it did with Smith for instance, especially when there’s clearly been a few weak links playing in the 22 over the course of this year

Looking at his SANFL stats, he had a couple of strings of good games before getting his debut (via injury late out, no less). The annoying thing is that it doesn’t get immediately rewarded, like it did with Smith for instance, especially when there’s clearly been a few weak links playing in the 22 over the course of this year
In his 6 games before being selected, he had 4 games with less than 20 possessions, including a 12 and a 14 (he hasn't bested Smith's 27 this season). Obviously there's quality to a lot of those possessions that gave selectors a good hint that he'll perform well at AFL level but he was hardly banging the door down. There needs to be some sort of selection integrity, especially while the season is still alive. And yes yes he can come in ahead of Murphy and McHenry but then everyone screams that he's playing half forward instead of his position. A spot came up in the midfield so they selected the mid who was performing the best at SANFL level. Pretty stock standard situation, doesn't need to be so much angst about it.

You know McHenry played this year even when it was clear he was a dud? Jones was also playing poorly this year and still getting games until injured.

McHenry played a few games early - but most of his games were as a sub

Jones came off a good year last year and was played with the expectation he would find that form.

Taylor was no where near ready early, Dowling maybe could have been in earlier, Bond hadn’t shown heaps
They have stick with Cook all year over McHenry, as well as Sholl

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McHenry played a few games early - but most of his games were as a sub

Jones came off a good year last year and was played with the expectation he would find that form.

Taylor was no where near ready early, Dowling maybe could have been in earlier, Bond hadn’t shown heaps
They have stick with Cook all year over McHenry, as well as Sholl

McHenry has played 10 games this year, combo of sub and on field. We know he sucked prior to season started so why play any?

Jones did but sucked very early on and should have been made to find form in the SANFL, he only missed due to injury.

So what round did Taylor go from no where near ready to being ready? The week he got a call up due to late injury?

McHenry has played 10 games this year, combo of sub and on field. We know he sucked prior to season started so why play any?

Jones did but sucked very early on and should have been made to find form in the SANFL, he only missed due to injury.

So what round did Taylor go from no where near ready to being ready? The week he got a call up due to late injury?

We know from pre season reports that Taylor wasn’t up to scratch to start the year in the top team. Full credit to the lad that he made up the ground over the back end of pre season and then played some good footy.

But the second you are ready doesn’t mean you should get a game - particularly if you have been questionable with work ethic or durability previously.
Compare Soligo - did the work early and straight in
I think it’s reasonable Taylor had to earn a spot. Remember Rachele - who also doesn’t have a big tank, ran back after completing a run to encourage Taylor to finish off strong in the pre season - that’s how far behind the other mids from a preparation perspective Taylor was

And when you are coming from behind then you probably have to wait for an opportunity

We know from pre season reports that Taylor wasn’t up to scratch to start the year in the top team. Full credit to the lad that he made up the ground over the back end of pre season and then played some good footy.

But the second you are ready doesn’t mean you should get a game - particularly if you have been questionable with work ethic or durability previously.
Compare Soligo - did the work early and straight in
I think it’s reasonable Taylor had to earn a spot. Remember Rachele - who also doesn’t have a big tank, ran back after completing a run to encourage Taylor to finish off strong in the pre season - that’s how far behind the other mids from a preparation perspective Taylor was

And when you are coming from behind then you probably have to wait for an opportunity

So he was ready but not chosen because previously he wasn’t ready but then had to wait for an opportunity because Nicks preferred to play underperforming and average players. Yep I can understand why he was made to wait under those circumstances, especially given winning games isn’t important.

But from my recollection, there was also a period at the start of the year where Taylor wasn’t playing consistently in the SANFL midfield. Some of those valuable spots were reserved for some of our top ups. Criminal levels of decision making right there. Inexcusable. So of course our young afl aspiring mids couldn’t build their case! Seems like that was the plan (possibly as directed by the faceless men of the AFC) so having both Laird and Crouch in the mids would not be questioned!
That said, since making the FIrsts, Taylor has hardly put a foot wrong, despite getting a quarter of a game twice in the sub role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back