Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going to defend the selectors but he's spent a lot of that time injured hasn't he?
Yes, it's stretching to get outraged at this. He was on track last year and building towards selection. The injury knocked him back by a year. If I were a selector, it's likely that I would have debuted him late last year, without injury. This year, George
and I picked him as the next to debut, and that has occurred. All perfectly normal and above board.

Spent a bit of time injured last year but over his career he's still played 30 SANFL games
17 games in 2022, only 4 in 2023 and then 9 this year.

Fitness base in his first year wasn’t up to standard and 2023 was a write off, but he always looked classy.

He goes at less than 20 disposals a game in the SANFL, so he's never going to be an accumulator. But last night suggests he can bring something to the 1s.

17 games in 2022, only 4 in 2023 and then 9 this year.

Fitness base in his first year wasn’t up to standard and 2023 was a write off, but he always looked classy.

He goes at less than 20 disposals a game in the SANFL, so he's never going to be an accumulator. But last night suggests he can bring something to the 1s.
Fitness has been an issue throughout, Bigman has often made note in his training reports that Taylor has consistently struggled to keep up during preseason.

He has that trait that all the good inside midfielders have where, upon receiving the ball in the contest, he is able to immediately create just enough separation to have time to assess his options. Just a little step back out of the contest.

That's compared to someone like, say, Berry or Laird who mostly just try to burrow through the contest with the ball.

Completely outrageous it took until 3/4 of the way through his 3rd year to get a full game
Another one who just needs to play out the rest of the year... & not as sub.

Feel confident something good will come when he has the ball.

The anti-Murphy.

First full game but only 69% ToG. Hopefully builds his tank next year to rotate forward to rest and still have some impact. Rash, Rankine and Taylor rotating through with Dawso and Soligio the mainstays.

First full game but only 69% ToG. Hopefully builds his tank next year to rotate forward to rest and still have some impact. Rash, Rankine and Taylor rotating through with Dawso and Soligio the mainstays.
+ Curtin

Another one who looks good at AFL level. Nicks might save his job by actually playing the kids. Suddenly our drafting looks OK as well. Cook, Dowling, Taylor, Bond all promising. Hopefully Curtin next up playing in the correct position.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've had the talent. I dont think Hamish can be blamed for Nicks obsession to play mediocrity.

Taylor is very composed in traffic. Looks great. This is why the club rated him so highly. Not a bad draft haul in 2021. To bad he had injury issues. Could have had another 30 games under his belt.
Also had issues with the workload required of an AFL player as several of the coaches have more than hinted at a number of times. i.e. AFL fitness levels.

I think that is quite a good, for the super fit guys like Sholl/Dawson it's more like mid 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had the talent. I dont think Hamish can be blamed for Nicks obsession to play mediocrity.
I know a couple of regular posters who won't have a bar of that...one in particular...

poor fitness levels can also cause injuries so it wouldnt surprise me.
Yes and the extra workload to get up to scratch probably impacted his lisfranc ligament injury that required surgery which ruined his 2nd year, even this year he's had a bit of a hip issue at one point.

Yep. Reinforces why I feel our talent development requires a review far more immediately than our talent identification (which has it’s own issues but are less pressing).

Yep. Reinforces why I feel our talent development requires a review far more immediately than our talent identification (which has it’s own issues but are less pressing).

Its more too do with selection policies in the context of the current sides needs.

If we are a top 8 side, you play your best 22 every week. No question. You pick the next best player to come in.

We are not a top 8 side, we have been a bottom 8 side for the last 7 years. Therefor every opportunity should be taken to talent identify and select young players on the back of talent identification. You must also punish poor form to create selection opportunities for these players. The best sides do this, thats why they rise to finals contention so quickly and its also why some of consistently best sides like Geelong stay on top. They bring in they put effort into talent identification and development and take opportunities at selection.

Its more too do with selection policies in the context of the current sides needs.

If we are a top 8 side, you play your best 22 every week. No question. You pick the next best player to come in.

We are not a top 8 side, we have been a bottom 8 side for the last 7 years. Therefor every opportunity should be taken to talent identify and select young players on the back of talent identification. You must also punish poor form to create selection opportunities for these players. The best sides do this, thats why they rise to finals contention so quickly and its also why some of consistently best sides like Geelong stay on top. They bring in they put effort into talent identification and development and take opportunities at selection.
Yes I completely agree with all of that. I just consider selection policy in a rebuilding side a critical part of talent development.

The fact the club is looking to blame its drafting suggests they have no intention of blaming Nicks in this department.
100%. Talent development is more systematically ingrained in the entire coaching department and the club wide philosophy (our conservative selections highlight that we are a club motivated by short-term competitiveness at long-term expense rather than risk-taking that may fast track us long term). It’s a far more confronting review that we are too conservative to conduct.

The fact the club is looking to blame its drafting suggests they have no intention of blaming Nicks in this department.
There are 3 areas, all of which need to have questions asked about them:
  • Talent Identification & Selection (primarily Reid & Ogilvie).
  • Player Development (primarily Godden)
  • Team Selection (primarily Nicks & assistant coaches)
My personal opinion is that our player development has been poor, and the lack of pro-active planning to provide opportunities for our developing youngsters at AFL level is diabolical. I think talent identification needs to be looked at, but I think it is the least egregious of the 3 main areas.

I’m sorry, but you can’t blame lack of development as the reason why Jones, Ned, Galluci and Mcasey are not up to it. Recruiting is not an easy job. But let’s call a spade a space here. Hamish has failed at the most crucial phase of our rebuild. You can’t argue against that.
And is a key reason why we had to rebuild in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Zac Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back