Preview Rd 1 Geelong v Essendon Sat March 19 2:10 pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way a fit Ceglar is behind an average Stanley.

Ceglar is younger, taller, stronger, and far less likely to be mauled like Stanley is on a regular basis.

Stanley has been a disappointment/tease for a very long time and looks to be getting even worse.
I dunno, it's like choosing between two bad options. Ceglar had a few good games last year but that was the first time and it's basically the end of his career. Stanley and Blitz as a combo are the closest to a good thing we have that had worked in a long time

Will be interesting to see how Chook goes at the Suns then. One side of the argument can definitively win and we can move on with our lives.

I would say that if the players in the way of midfield time here are Joel and danger then next year the equation has one of those retired and the other a mostly permanent forward spraying set shots

Seems ideal to use Cooper as a Selwood backup - Cooper hasn't played a lot of footy , Joel can't play a full season - they are both inside mids ( although Cooper looks capable of spreading as well). Cooper to give Joel a rest and play a few with him as well - target 8-10 would be a good result.

He does seem to have 'it' I reckon. Maybe not the most naturally guftwy out there but he's got all the intangibles.

I'm not sure how you'd describe it, but he just has the vibe of a bloke who's going to get the best out of himself no matter what. Looks a natural leader which we haven't really had come in the door since Joel to be honest.
Are you 15 after all the crap you put on Holmes,a player who has not played a game is a future captain or are you doing comedy

Both ends of the ground look really good for us but the midfield is where we just are not tough or fast or organised to beat the Melbourne or Doggies etc of the comp and we have seen more than enough evidence of this. But we go into a new year with the same names again expecting the mids to somehow be tougher or faster or able to slow runs of other teams. Just so disappointing for the forward and backline s who are great. I hope I’m wrong but if Essendons midfield beats ours in round one I bet our selectors unfortunately won’t react. I don’t rate hindsight so pile ons about Chook or Clarke if they play well really wont help - we had the resources but didn’t maximise them and if others do good luck to them. really looks to me that we will have to wait for our new young ruckman to be a regular firsts players and at least half the midfield renewed- seceral years at the minimum. I know it’s a negative view but the last 5 years have all run to the same pattern and there is zero in the preseason to show any midfield difference.

I don't understand it... everyone wants Ceglar to be fit so him and Stanley can play tandem...
I doubt this won't happen as we should done this last year with Stanley and Fort... Poor old Fort never got this opportunity

Those two are wingers, Cooper is more an in the guts type player. Dangerfield, Narkle, Parfitt, Guthrie and Selwood for his role.
Doesn’t matter. When they are back, unless Dangerfield, Parfitt, Guthrie or Selwood are out there’s just no room for him. Narkle is a lost cause.

I don't worry round 1, I will worry of we get to round 10 and are still having the conversation. Let him play at least a few full length vfl games first considering his last remotely full TOG game would have been u18s level before the leg break.
I’ve always been ahead of my time. :D

By round 10 we will be saying, “Too bad, he has to force one of them out.” Which isn’t possible.

For those heading to the game on Saturday & traveling from Geelong

"Due to Level crossing removal works and V/Line maintenance works, coaches replace trains for all or part of the journey on the Geelong Line from Saturday 19 March to Tuesday 22 March.

Saturday 19 March to Sunday night 20 March

Coaches replace all Geelong Line trains between Southern Cross and Wyndham Vale.

Coaches will depart from Southern Cross 25 minutes earlier than usual train times.

A temporary timetable will be in place."

1163971D-3825-49CF-AFC0-0FB130EFCE84.png

"Due to Level crossing removal works and V/Line maintenance works, coaches replace trains for all or part of the journey on the Geelong Line from Saturday 19 March to Tuesday 22 March.

Coaches replace all Geelong Line trains between Southern Cross and Wyndham Vale.

Coaches will depart from Southern Cross 25 minutes earlier than usual train times.

View attachment 1345833
For once match day information here is helpful. First time going to Vic in a couple of years.

Transit will be walking from the couch I am surfing though

Depressed to hear Stephens won't play. I fear Scott just doesn't get it: we're all sick of seeing the same mediocrities and failures in the team. Scott is a very decent chap and no fool, but very very conservative. One had hoped that Kelly and the other newbies might have injected some dare and imagination in to team selection.
He has hardly played at all over the course of the last two years ... I would prefer him get a solid block of games in the VFL to show his body is right and he sharpens up before launching his senior career (which I am bullish about). There is no reason to throw him straight in.

Are you 15 after all the crap you put on Holmes,a player who has not played a game is a future captain or are you doing comedy
Gee you live up to your name sometimes. I said Stephens is a natural leader, not future captain.

All I was saying is it's good to have a young leader at the club and it should hold him in good stead to get the best out of himself. What that is remains to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee you live up to your name sometimes. I said Stephens is a natural leader, not future captain.

All I was saying is it's good to have a young leader at the club and it should hold him in good stead to get the best out of himself. What that is remains to be seen.
I was the one who said Cooper was a future captain.

View attachment 1345833

I've decided to get the ferry up there and back. I have been wanting to do this for a while, and when I noticed the VLINE issue, I thought now is the time to give it a go. The ferry also has a bar on board, and you can get up and move around and appreciate the view. $33 return. Can't wait to see how it goes.

I've decided to get the ferry up there and back. I have been wanting to do this for a while, and when I noticed the VLINE issue, I thought now is the time to give it a go. The ferry also has a bar on board, and you can get up and move around and appreciate the view. $33 return. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Beautiful day to try this, and go to the football as well I suppose. 25 degrees and sun, very excited to be watching in the Saturday afternoon slot.

Not sure if this is a stupid question regarding the ferry - is there specific transport options available between the ferry & the MCG or just make you own way?

News regarding our opponent for Saturday:

ESSENDON star Jake Stringer has been ruled out of the club's season-opener against Geelong after failing to overcome a groin injury.
The forward has been hampered throughout the summer and missed both of the Bombers' pre-season games.

News regarding our opponent for Saturday:

ESSENDON star Jake Stringer has been ruled out of the club's season-opener against Geelong after failing to overcome a groin injury.
The forward has been hampered throughout the summer and missed both of the Bombers' pre-season games.

Well that can’t hurt us!

For the opening round meat tray, now that most things have been confirmed - re: senior players who won't be playing:

B: Kolo, Blics, Henry
HB: Stew, SDK, Tuohy
C: Holmes, Selwood, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, C. Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Stengle, J. Cameron, Ratugolea
F: Close, T. Hawkins, Danger
INT: Zuthrie, S. Higgins, T. Atkins, Bews/Narkle (Narkle will be most likely in if Bews isn't cleared for concussion protocols)

For the opening round meat tray, now that most things have been confirmed - re: senior players who won't be playing:

INT: Zuthrie, S. Higgins, T. Atkins, Bews/Narkle (Narkle will be most likely in if Bews isn't cleared for concussion protocols)

Bews is confirmed a non-starter due to his concussion

Reports have also suggested Higgins position is unsure - at yesterdays training session, the senior players were in the blue training tops while Higgins, Dahlhaus were in the orange tops

Sounds like Evans a possibility

I don't know the extent of ferry services down there, but I would have thought a promotion for Gee-Mel ferry trip for games had already been done. For day games at least.
In Seattle, we could take a boat(whenever we had access to one) across the lake to UW games at Husky Stadium(right on the lake front). Made for a great day out.

With Covid ongoing, and going to get worse again, predicting teams in advance will be akin to Russian Roulette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back